• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

School's on the verge of closure

Started by 4real, January 18, 2018, 02:35:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

4real

OK, so we heard about Hartford getting shut down at the end of this school year.  Not a shocker and most folks know that they are fortunate to have been open this year.

However, who else is dangerously close to a similar fate?

I just heard that Western Yell County has only 352 kids in the district this school year.  Apparently, they've lost around 80+ kids over the last four years.  Where are those kids going?  Danville and Magazine don't seem to be growing by numbers that match the WYC loss...

So, theoretically, if WYC loses 3 kids next year net, and stays in the same boat the year after, they will be shut down.  If that was the case, WYC kids would definitely help Danville out, especially in hoops, since Danville probably stay in 3A permanently after that.  If they went to Magazine, it might bump them up to 3A, which may or may not be a good thing.

Are there any places in your neck of the woods fighting the same battle?

BlueDevilFan

Unfortunately Shirley is in this same boat, they have lost students at the rate of about 10 per year to where they are at about 347.

Moonshiner

The way I understand it, the 350 rule has been modified.  If a school can show that their test scores and finances are good, they can keep the doors open.
But, that's hard to do.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Daddy eagle on January 18, 2018, 04:10:20 pm
Hopefully Shirley gets shut down. So they can come under our wings and let me become a daddy to some lil devils.
davis still going to coach

JimmyChitwood

I hope some of these small schools can stay alive. The educated idiots down at the state education department are out of touch with rural Arkansas. I hope Shirley can hold it together.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Moonshiner on January 18, 2018, 04:38:46 pm
The way I understand it, the 350 rule has been modified.  If a school can show that their test scores and finances are good, they can keep the doors open.
But, that's hard to do.

Kirby is an example of a school doing this....

BannerChaser95

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 18, 2018, 05:52:26 pm
Kirby is an example of a school doing this....
Got another 3 year extension waiver in 2017 August because of test scores!!

thebigman3

Quote from: JimmyChitwood on January 18, 2018, 05:07:09 pm
I hope some of these small schools can stay alive. The educated idiots down at the state education department are out of touch with rural Arkansas. I hope Shirley can hold it together.
Agreee 100%

thebigman3

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 18, 2018, 04:44:07 pm
davis still going to coach
Thats when problems start right there. But if you ask me Shirley has the better boys coach and girls..

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: thebigman3 on January 18, 2018, 06:54:40 pm
Thats when problems start right there. But if you ask me Shirley has the better boys coach and girls..
woah woah woah keep suit man all day

4real

Quote from: thebigman3 on January 18, 2018, 06:53:52 pm
Agreee 100%
test scores and money are two problems that are hard to take care of with declining enrollment

HorseFeathers

Rural special and fox are a part of mountain view SD.

SportsFan5

Quote from: rebelfan on January 18, 2018, 11:22:30 pm
I am surprised that Timbo has been able to keep their school. They may be on the list. As far as I know, no one in my area of North central Arkansas, except them will be closed. Everyone else has enough students I think to keep their schools.
Timbo is a part of the Mountain View School district so their numbers aren't going to cause them to close. When you look at their reported test scores, their high school often leads that district, so they should be just fine.

eamo8911

January 19, 2018, 10:51:48 am #13 Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 10:54:36 am by eamo8911
Quote from: SportsFan5 on January 19, 2018, 06:09:56 am
Timbo is a part of the Mountain View School district so their numbers aren't going to cause them to close. When you look at their reported test scores, their high school often leads that district, so they should be just fine.

Timbo and Rural Special are open just as much due to location.  Timbo is 15 miles from MV and Rural is just over 20 miles on top of a steep mountain.  Busing students to MV would be costly and time-consuming.  If anything, I would imagine the two would be combined together before MV decides to shut both down.

BannerMountainMan

Shirley must not be to bad in shape of money, popcorn and water is 1.50 at Shirley and 3.50 at Clinton.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 19, 2018, 04:51:40 pm
Shirley must not be to bad in shape of money, popcorn and water is 1.50 at Shirley and 3.50 at Clinton.

That's the big school way.....went to a tournament at Russellville last month...paid 5 bucks for a bar s hot dog and a 16 oz Coke even the woman taking my money said it was highway robbery

friscokid

Shirley gets all that Fairfield Bay money. Lots of property taxes but no kids because old folks.

JimmyChitwood

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 19, 2018, 10:54:05 pm
That's the big school way.....went to a tournament at Russellville last month...paid 5 bucks for a bar s hot dog and a 16 oz Coke even the woman taking my money said it was highway robbery
Heck it costs $5 to watch a game at Clinton! Highway robbery! I do not want to pay $5 for sub-par, low atmosphere, highly political basketball! Go small schools! Go 1a! Go Hickory! I mean it only costs a nickel to get in a Hoosier game!

Fleaflicker

Biggest problem with Shirley is allot of these parents were good enough to get their education there, LIVE or even operate a business in FFB but have taken their kids to clinton to go to school. Zero loyalty to their Alma Mater and it's just another nail in Shirleys coffin. heck one guy is even good enough to come to Shirley and ref games and collect a check. Clinton gym is a joke, a cathedral that is a constant reminder that Clinton is a football school based on their attendance. Gotta host a tournament to see that place filled up

1A basketball is where the best fans are. I've been to Kirby and felt their crowds I've seen Rural Special (years ago) when you couldn't dare find a seat and not to mention Shirley/Guy matchups last year! Call me old fashioned or simple but there isn't much like it

sevenof400

Quote from: JimmyChitwood on January 20, 2018, 09:04:14 pm
Heck it costs $5 to watch a game at Clinton! Highway robbery! I do not want to pay $5 for sub-par, low atmosphere, highly political basketball! Go small schools! Go 1a! Go Hickory! I mean it only costs a nickel to get in a Hoosier game!

True enough, but the dress code is a bit drab.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Fleaflicker on January 21, 2018, 03:07:03 am
Biggest problem with Shirley is allot of these parents were good enough to get their education there, LIVE or even operate a business in FFB but have taken their kids to clinton to go to school. Zero loyalty to their Alma Mater and it's just another nail in Shirleys coffin. heck one guy is even good enough to come to Shirley and ref games and collect a check. Clinton gym is a joke, a cathedral that is a constant reminder that Clinton is a football school based on their attendance. Gotta host a tournament to see that place filled up

1A basketball is where the best fans are. I've been to Kirby and felt their crowds I've seen Rural Special (years ago) when you couldn't dare find a seat and not to mention Shirley/Guy matchups last year! Call me old fashioned or simple but there isn't much like it
theres one reason why kids are moving to Clinton, and it's not about sports, money, or travel. But that is for another time

The Marsupial

Moving to Clinton is also moving to the worst side of the lake that no one cares about. Keep that in mind

HorseFeathers

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 21, 2018, 09:55:58 am
theres one reason why kids are moving to Clinton, and it's not about sports, money, or travel. But that is for another time

Easier access to meth? That's what HBO told me anyway

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: The Marsupial on January 21, 2018, 11:07:22 am
Moving to Clinton is also moving to the worst side of the lake that no one cares about. Keep that in mind
well Shirley is on the same side of the lake soo

The Marsupial

JimmyChitwood

About 10 years ago, Clinton had a very good basketball program when Shane Thurman was coaching. Won district a couple times. He left for 2 reasons, money and the political oppression he was facing. After that, Clinton has only hired coaches that were either from schools consolidated (Scotland, Alread) or brand new, first year coaches. I know firsthand accounts of Keith Brown (Sacred Heart 2x state champs, Shirley state runner-up) and Len Harris(Wonderview, Nemo, Perryville over 800 career wins) applying for the head coach position and were not hired. The athletic director is also the football coach....This is why Clinton is no good at basketball. They have consistent available talent. They can't get a good, experienced coach due to politics.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: JimmyChitwood on January 21, 2018, 02:55:28 pm
About 10 years ago, Clinton had a very good basketball program when Shane Thurman was coaching. Won district a couple times. He left for 2 reasons, money and the political oppression he was facing. After that, Clinton has only hired coaches that were either from schools consolidated (Scotland, Alread) or brand new, first year coaches. I know firsthand accounts of Keith Brown (Sacred Heart 2x state champs, Shirley state runner-up) and Len Harris(Wonderview, Nemo, Perryville over 800 career wins) applying for the head coach position and were not hired. The athletic director is also the football coach....This is why Clinton is no good at basketball. They have consistent available talent. They can't get a good, experienced coach due to politics.

You forgot valley springs and dover for Harris....winner just about everywhere he went....

JimmyChitwood

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 21, 2018, 02:57:02 pm
You forgot valley springs and dover for Harris....winner just about everywhere he went....
He wanted the Clinton job pretty badly. Would have won some games under him in weakly coached confrence...

SackAttack

Quote from: JimmyChitwood on January 21, 2018, 04:22:40 pm
He wanted the Clinton job pretty badly. Would have won some games under him in weakly coached confrence...
Didnt he retire recently to go into private business?? Smart move if you ask me!

JimmyChitwood

Quote from: SackAttack on January 21, 2018, 05:25:03 pm
Didnt he retire recently to go into private business?? Smart move if you ask me!
Mows lawns all over conway county.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: SackAttack on January 21, 2018, 05:25:03 pm

Was already in the private business

Central Ark

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 21, 2018, 06:46:45 pm
Was already in the private business

Yep, modeling designer jeans on the sidelines

4real

Quote from: JimmyChitwood on January 21, 2018, 02:55:28 pm
sad they won't take the good ones. Brown is a good coach but you're wrong on his resume, he only won one at Sacred Heart. He left to go home, thinking they didn't have a chance to repeat after losing their best two players when the upcoming kids were weak.

4real

Quote from: Central Ark on January 21, 2018, 08:57:14 pm
Yep, modeling designer jeans on the sidelines
thats funny I don't care who you are!

JimmyChitwood

Quote from: 4real on January 21, 2018, 09:31:52 pm
sad they won't take the good ones. Brown is a good coach but you're wrong on his resume, he only won one at Sacred Heart. He left to go home, thinking they didn't have a chance to repeat after losing their best two players when the upcoming kids were weak.
Yeah I was a little fuzzy on the sacred heart thing. Knew they won back to back though.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: rebelfan on January 24, 2018, 05:16:27 pm
If Timbo and Rural Special are part of the Mountain View school district how can they play each other in basketball. It is like you are playing your own team. I am listening to the ICC Inv. Tournament and Rural Special and Mountain View junior girls are playing right now.

Jasper Kingston and oark are the same school district.....
Western Grove St Joe and Bruno/Pyatt are same district...
Ft Smith Northside and Southside are same district....
Maumelle, LR Mills, and Joe T Robinson are the same district...

AT

Quote from: rebelfan on January 24, 2018, 05:16:27 pm
If Timbo and Rural Special are part of the Mountain View school district how can they play each other in basketball. It is like you are playing your own team. I am listening to the ICC Inv. Tournament and Rural Special and Mountain View junior girls are playing right now.

We will have to work on your definition of school district.

4real

Let me spell it out...
A school district may have numerous schools and campuses.  Our friends here listed an example and you have to remember that the district may include multiple high schools, which are separate high schools, but they have the same superintendent and school board serving over their campus and principals.
Little Rock has 5 high schools
Fayetteville Springdale Rogers Bentonville Fort Smith each have two high schools.
When consolidation was forced on small schools, some were able to band together under one district, board, and supe, for the sake of keeping  their campuses open, so long as they can afford to keep multiple campuses open. Hackett and Hartford were an example of this, and next year Hartford will be closed because Hackett is bleeding money to Lee then open.

eamo8911

Many 1A schools have combined to form one district due to Huckabee's law.  Western Grove and St Joe are in the same district. Deer and Mt. Judea are in the same district. Oden is partnered with a larger school I believe. It's pretty common in 1A these days.

Many states have only one district and school board per county, with the exception of larger towns and cities. Tenn2 an d Kentucky are examples.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: eamo8911 on January 24, 2018, 06:57:25 pm
Many 1A schools have combined to form one district due to Huckabee's law.  Western Grove and St Joe are in the same district with Marshall. Deer and Mt. Judea are in the same district. Oden is partnered with a larger school I believe. It's pretty common in 1A these days.

Many states have only one district and school board per county, with the exception of larger towns and cities. Tenn2 an d Kentucky are examples.

Try again on Western Grove and St Joe

eamo8911

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 24, 2018, 06:58:45 pm
Try again on Western Grove and St Joe
I changed it right after I posted.  I forgot Searcy County was created after Leslie merged with marshall

4real

Oden and Acorn are now together as a district even tho they are not close.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: 4real on January 24, 2018, 09:11:25 pm
Oden and Acorn are now together as a district even tho they are not close.

I believe mena actually splits their district in two also

4real

Men's absorbed the Hatfield schools, Hatfield is no longer open.

Acorn is less than 5 miles to Mena, but refused to merge with them, thus Oden came into their deal

riccoar

Quote from: 4real on January 21, 2018, 09:31:52 pm
Was it just about going home, or what home was going to pay him?

4real

Quote from: riccoar on January 25, 2018, 07:11:54 am
Was it just about going home, or what home was going to pay him?
From what I heard, and believe, it was a combination of both.  He probably got a $20K pay raise compared to SH, coaching boys only, which took off half his workload.  That in itself would be worth it to most folks.  It's home for him, which to most folks is important.  His wife is from there too, and someone said her family was willing to help them out.  Just too many reasons to go.
After all, he put in his dues at SH, won big with a loaded team, was overworked and underpaid in a big way.  And nobody in the state wanted that job when he left.  Graduated two college bound players, and replaced them with sophomores that couldn't play dead in a western.  And the two jr high teams weren't suppose to win hardly any games coming up either.
He woulda been crazy to stay, unless he was from SH.  He had a few folks treat him bad too while he was there.  SH isn't always kind to their coaches in the past.

eamo8911

Weiner (NE) and Delight (SW) tried to get the DoE to approve their administrative consolidation, too. 200 miles apart. ThE state rejected the plan.

friscokid

Wilburn wanted to consolidate with Heber Springs, but Heber didn't want it because at the time they were at the top end of 4A and the very few kids Wilburn had might've sent Heber to 5A. So Wilburn instead folded into Concord.

eamo8911

Was Wilburn trying to keep their school if they Consolidated with Heber? If so, the enrollment numbers wouldn't have affected Heber.

Did Wilburn stay open for a year or two after they administratively consolidated with concord? Or was it just an elementary school that was left?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas