• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MIDSEASON RECAP. TOP TEAMS AND PLAYERS

Started by Bbal789, January 01, 2018, 02:30:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bbal789

January 01, 2018, 02:30:20 pm Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 11:05:48 pm by Bbal789
1. Southside Batesville:  Definitely the most balanced team. Led by two big men in 6'10 Tom Miholjcic and 6'6 Alex Brogdon and a trio of guards Grant Patterson, Will Sitkowski, and Koby Rich. The guards are really good three point shooters and Alex Brogdon is a stretch four with a very nice stroke. Tom Miholjcic is a force inside who can score around the basket. Alex Brogdon is the emotional leader and Grant Patterson is probably the best scorer. Will Sitkowski is a true point guard that can score and distribute. They all play with each other in the summer with the Arkansas Wings Elite.

2. Jonesboro Westside: Insane three point shooting team. Possibly even better than Pea Ridge from last year. Led by the best backcourt in 4a with Avery Felts, Riley Felkins, and Cullen Felkins. They are just absolute scorers. Avery Felts and Riley Felkins are the best off the dribble and can pull up from three. Cullen Felkins is an amazing spot up shooter. 6'6 Gage Sheffield can also step out and knock down the three consistently. Avery Felts and Riley Felkins are also game changers on the defensive end and in transition. Also getting good play from Kessler Mack and Jordan Rockers.

3. Pottsville: Every year they get closer and closer to going back to the state title game, last year losing in the semifinals of state to Pea Ridge. They bring back their best player in Wesley Heikes a 6'5 post. Also getting good guard play from Jacob Chisum and Tyler Duvall. Both can shoot the three and drive in. Always a tough nosed team led by their underrated coach, Coach Shane Thurman.

4. Baptist Prep: Led by guard Issac Mcbride.  Scoring much more this year with the absence of 7'3 Connor Vanover who is playing at Findlay Prep in Las Vegas. Mcbride has a UALR offer and some more interests. Mcbride can get a too ball heavy and try to do all the work himself. Saw him play against North Little Rock where he went 3-15 from three and Brookland held him to only 4 points. Adjusting to life after the 7 footers and their brutal inside advantage.

5. Brookland: Their greatest strength is their ability to change the game by controlling the pace to their advantage. They love to move the ball around and are extremely fundamentally sound. Coach Bobby Gross is definitely the most emotional coach in 4a that he can use to fire his squad up. Also an amazing three point shooting team. Braxton Haff has been their best player this year scoring at all three levels. Douglas Fenimore and Dalon Ford are also very realiable tough players. Brookland also has two freshman Keean Strode and Jackson Ballard who have been playing well. Strode has deep range from three.

6. ESTEM: Very balanced and energetic team that play with a lot of heart. They have an absolute beast down low in 6'6 Laityn Sheppard. 6'4 guard Jacob Profit has seen big improvements in his game. Jeremiah Encalade and Jacob Sanders also have been reliable scorers. 5'9 Jaren Richards is an amazing defender with unreal hops. Seen him dunk the ball on the fast break and halfcout setting. Also Peyton Sewell can light it up from three. Coach Josh Hays really has built a balanced and athletic team.

7. Bauxite: Have not started off the year like they expected too but anybody who knows basketball knows that Bauxite is a legit state title contender when they are playing at their best. Led by Graham Chenault a 6'2 guard who can score on all three levels and Jacob Stroud who can really shoot three. Their 6'4 big man Cooper Wright has also been a reliable force down low with his rebounding and inside presence. Colton Robinson is their best defender and point guard but back up point guard Max Chenault can really go.

8. Nashville: The only remaining undefeated team in 4a but have only played half the amount of games as everyone else and the competition has been anything but stellar. However, Nashville is always a tough athletic team that competes for conference and state.

9. Stuttgart: A huge team with really big and strong players. Many of their basketball players are stand out football players. Led by David Walker a 6'4 guard who can shoot threes and bully people down low. They always seem to have the advantage physically with their really strong players with football backgrounds. Tim Johnson is a very quick and super athletic guard.

10. Warren: Another physically dominant team with the best football player in 4a in Treylon Burks. Treylon Burks is obviously a special football player nobody should sleep on his basketball abilities. He is a good defender and rebounder and can score the ball with his basketball instincts. Javion Robinson is a returning all state starter and Vincent Steppes is a great three point shooter. A team that could definitely make a run for the state title.

Bbal789

January 01, 2018, 02:48:46 pm #1 Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 05:01:06 pm by Bbal789
1. Issac Mcbride- Baptist Prep
2. Avery Felts- Jonesboro Westside
3. JT Smith-Riverview
4. Riley Felkins-Jonesboro Westside
5. Tom Miholjcic- Southside Batesville
6. Graham Chenault- Bauxite
7. Alex Brogdon- Southside Batesville
8. Grant Patterson- Southside Batesville
9. David Walker- Stuttgart
10. Laityn Sheppard- ESTEM
11. Cameron Bush- Robinson
12. Jacob Stroud- Bauxite
13. Chris Harris- Dumas
14. Braxton Haff- Brookland
15. Michael Boone- Central
16. Wesley Heikes- Pottsville
17. Kam Vick- Central Arkansas Christian
18. Will Sitkowski- Southside Batesville
19. Cullen Felkins- Jonesboro Westside
20. Colton Robinson- Bauxite

Bbal789

This is where I think things stand right now. Your welcome to comment and make your own rankings.

JessieP

Quote from: Bbal789 on January 01, 2018, 02:50:27 pm
This is where I think things stand right now. Your welcome to comment and make your own rankings.

Wow, nice objective rankings. You left some SS players off your list, don't lose focus. Just go ahead and list their starting 5 as the best 5 players in the state, the reserves should round out the top 20. Then include the cheerleaders in the top 50. After reading your "objective" (wink wink) evaluation I think the other schools in the 4A, or even the entire state, could save some money and just send the trophy to SS. Easily the most dominant group of basketball players ever assembled. LaVar has put together an impressive team, the gut who stands on the sideline and pretends to be the coach is very fortunate. 

Bbal789

Quote from: ajhop on January 01, 2018, 09:35:28 pm
I think Nashville, Prep, Warren are the best with Bauxite bein able to beat em all but gota start moving the ball. Bauxite's strength has always been playing good as team. I refuse to point blame at individual players but i will say the coach is not playing rite guys in rite moment.  And it don't have to with my kid, he always step up in big games. It has to do with our team good enough to win state but wont if we don't start playing Miner ball.

Yes Bauxite at their best is a tough team to beat for sure especially if they are hitting their threes.

Bbal789

Quote from: JessieP on January 01, 2018, 09:23:37 pm
Wow, nice objective rankings. You left some SS players off your list, don't lose focus. Just go ahead and list their starting 5 as the best 5 players in the state, the reserves should round out the top 20. Then include the cheerleaders in the top 50. After reading your "objective" (wink wink) evaluation I think the other schools in the 4A, or even the entire state, could save some money and just send the trophy to SS. Easily the most dominant group of basketball players ever assembled. LaVar has put together an impressive team, the gut who stands on the sideline and pretends to be the coach is very fortunate.

Go right on a trash these players but these boys can go. Not even a Southside Batesville fan. I just feel that they have the best team and the best players and the Arkansas Wings Elite the best AAU program in the state seem happy to have them. Not the EYBL team but still an extremely good AAU team.

Bbal789

Tom Miholjcic, Alex Brogdon, and Grant Patterson are always being named to the all-tournament teams. Their three losses have all been within 5 points, losing by 1 point to 7a Springdale Har-ber, 5 points to 5a Blytheville, and 2 points to 6a Marion.

Bbal789

January 01, 2018, 10:16:14 pm #7 Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 03:36:10 pm by Bbal789

You sound really immature with your complaining and wining. It sounds like you are upset that Southside Batesville has so much talent and you wish they did not. And yea I don't know who but someone put together an impressive team.

NEA Razorback olfan

Bbal789

Quote from: ajhop on January 02, 2018, 02:29:13 pm
I don't think so. Southside aint the best. Blythville isn't very good and they beat em. Then the break down on Bauxite wasn't that accurate. (depending on how many and which games you've watched). Then warren was impressive last year and returns all but one but had a kid transfer in. I like the breakdown though. seems like he watches lot of ball.

I'm just going off of last year for Bauxite because I have not seen them play yet. Look at the beginning of the year I had Bauxite at #2 but they have just lost some games that are a little shocking (Ashdown and Robinson). I am definitely not counting Bauxite out at all and anybody who does might be in for a rude awakening if they play your team. From what I saw Graham Chenault and Jacob Stroud were their best players. I have only heard that their big guys have gotten better but have not seen them play myself.

Gray lizard

I do not get to watch a lot of high school basketball.  I did get to watch a few games in the Russellville hoops for hunger.  Pottsville girls won it and the Pottsville boys lost to JA Fair in the finals.  I like what I saw from both boys and girls from Pottsville. 
The girls seem to have a lot of talent and 3 stand out players.  The boys don't seem to have any stand out players but a lot of hustle and good team play.

Bbal789

I don't think so. Southside aint the best. Blythville isn't very good and they beat em. Then the break down on Bauxite wasn't that accurate. (depending on how many and which games you've watched). Then warren was impressive last year and returns all but one but had a kid transfer in. I like the breakdown though. seems like he watches lot of ball.

If it were not for Jonesboro Westside's guard trio of Avery Felts, Riley Felkins, and Cullen Felkins, Bauxite would have the best backcourt in 4a with Graham Chenault, Max Chenault, Jacob Stroud, and Colton Robinson. Also in my opinion there is no way that Warren is better than Southside Batesville. Warren lost to Bearden and I'm pretty sure Southside Batesville would beat Bearden easily. I just haven't had the chance to watch Bauxite play this year but from what I saw last year the Bauxite boys can really go and I still think they are the favorites in 7-4a.

Bbal789

Quote from: Gray lizard on January 02, 2018, 03:28:54 pm
I do not get to watch a lot of high school basketball.  I did get to watch a few games in the Russellville hoops for hunger.  Pottsville girls won it and the Pottsville boys lost to JA Fair in the finals.  I like what I saw from both boys and girls from Pottsville. 
The girls seem to have a lot of talent and 3 stand out players.  The boys don't seem to have any stand out players but a lot of hustle and good team play.

Yes, that sounds like a Pottsville team. Their coach always has them prepared to play really hard.

Bbal789

Quote from: ajhop on January 02, 2018, 04:01:54 pm
You may be bias. Cuz if you watching same games Ive been watching you would see one those like a deer in headlights vs press. see what happened when pg didnt play. #23 is only kid on team that could run point. only one besides #42 who can see the floor and find open guys. If #2 is shooting ball good i think hes our best shooter,but if not than....... #14 is awesome ball player but if he starts finding open guys and they hit it would take lota pressure of his self and would score more on less shots. and when #42 is out the game other teams start getting easy buckets, WATCH! #20 carries us in big ballgames but we 4get to get him the ball when he catches fire. And I would feed #50 the ball and play inside out and if they didnt double than let him get all points. #1 can do alot athletic stuff others cant do. But who knows. Ik 2nd team was wearing 1st team out b4 season started and that hurt someones feelings. Im going start attending same church as coach and tell him  I think i know everything.
Southside goin do what the did last year play those weaker teams than meet up with a athletic team and get bounced. Even though that was bad luck for them last year. BAD DEAL that team had to forfeit wins and ended up as lowest seed.  I didnt think that was rite. I just call it like I see it

Im definitely not biased because I have no connection to any of those players. If I sounds biased I promise I was not trying to be.  I just like to watch and follow basketball and I noticed Bauxite was a good team. I hear a lot of good things about #14 Graham Chenault and when I see him play he stands out to me. Always getting to the free throw line and a good slasher. I agreed with you also that #23 Colton Robinson was their best point guard. Also #1 needs to play way more and I do not know why he doesn't. Southside has already played a much harder schedule than they did last year. Southside has played Raleigh-Egypt (Memphis), Marion, Springdale Har-Ber, ESTEM, and Jonesboro Westside already this year which is good competition. All very athletic NOT WEAK teams.

Bbal789

January 02, 2018, 04:20:19 pm #14 Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 04:23:32 pm by Bbal789

Also Southside Batesville returns their whole entire team and add 6'10 Tom Miholjcic. Bauxite returns their whole entire team (If I remember correctly they started all juniors). Nashville and Warren have played an extremely weak and easy schedule compared to Southside Batesville this year. I feel like playing a very athletic team would not bother Southside Batesville considering their whole entire starting five plays for the Arkansas Wings Elite.

beach bum

SS Batesville #1 .... Isn't this what we heard about the football team at the beginning of October  ::) .... Same story in basketball. Yawn.... #1 on January 1st but #11 on March 1st for the basketball team.

Bbal789

Quote from: beach bum on January 02, 2018, 05:00:54 pm
SS Batesville #1 .... Isn't this what we heard about the football team at the beginning of October  ::) .... Same story in basketball. Yawn.... #1 on January 1st but #11 on March 1st for the basketball team.

Nope, I heard Warren, Pea Ridge, and Robinson were the best teams in football

STUNNA

Quote from: Bbal789 on January 02, 2018, 03:33:30 pm
If it were not for Jonesboro Westside's guard trio of Avery Felts, Riley Felkins, and Cullen Felkins, Bauxite would have the best backcourt in 4a with Graham Chenault, Max Chenault, Jacob Stroud, and Colton Robinson. Also in my opinion there is no way that Warren is better than Southside Batesville. Warren lost to Bearden and I'm pretty sure Southside Batesville would beat Bearden easily. I just haven't had the chance to watch Bauxite play this year but from what I saw last year the Bauxite boys can really go and I still think they are the favorites in 7-4a.

Lol.. Warren was preparing for a state football title when they played  Bearden. They were missing 4 starters.

NEA Razorback olfan

Please feel free to make your own,  and explain , I do not get to watch all the top teams play

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: ajhop on January 02, 2018, 06:48:22 pm
Bauxite lost our starting point guard. He moved away. We really miss him.

Without a true PG , makes it tough

BirdCall

Quote from: Bbal789 on January 01, 2018, 02:48:46 pm
1. Issac Mcbride- Baptist Prep
2. Avery Felts- Jonesboro Westside
3. JT Smith- Riverview
4. Riley Felkins- Jonesboro Westside
5. Tom Miholjcic- Southside Batesville
6. Graham Chenault- Bauxite
7. Alex Brogdon- Southside Batesville
8. Grant Patterson- Southside Batesville
9. David Walker- Stuttgart
10. Laityn Sheppard- ESTEM
11. Cameron Bush- Robinson
12. Jacob Stroud- Bauxite
13. Chris Harris- Dumas
14. Braxton Haff- Brookland
15. Michael Boone- Central
16. Wesley Heikes- Pottsville
17. Kam Vick- Central Arkansas Christian
18. Will Sitkowski- Southside Batesville
19. Cullen Felkins- Jonesboro Westside
20. Colton Robinson- Bauxite
I don't see 8 people in the 4A being better than David Walker from Stuttgart sorry...Mcbride and maybe Smith from riverview are that's it and I'm not sure about him but he is a good player. I also don't see Stuttgart's PG Tim Johnson on this list at all.

BirdCall

Quote from: Bbal789 on January 01, 2018, 09:42:51 pm
Go right on a trash these players but these boys can go. Not even a Southside Batesville fan. I just feel that they have the best team and the best players and the Arkansas Wings Elite the best AAU program in the state seem happy to have them. Not the EYBL team but still an extremely good AAU team.
Actually if you want to talk 17U and 16U the Arkansas Hawks has been the best AAU team in Arkansas the last couple of years just saying.

Bbal789

Quote from: BirdCall on January 02, 2018, 08:04:25 pm
I don't see 8 people in the 4A being better than David Walker from Stuttgart sorry...Mcbride and maybe Smith from riverview are that's it and I'm not sure about him but he is a good player. I also don't see Stuttgart's PG Tim Johnson on this list at all.

Don't be sorry your entitled to your own opinion. Most people have never heard of this kid until you talked about him probably because Stuttgart lost in the first round of district last year. Anyways Stuttgart seems to be much better than last year. What AAU team does David Walker play for? @BirdCall

Bbal789

Also Midseason is over and Southside Batesville already lost to Tuckerman 37-34 which is strange. Not a Southside Batesville fan but really shocked that they can be so inconsistent

Bbal789

January 02, 2018, 10:29:06 pm #24 Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:36:57 pm by Bbal789
Jonesboro Westside beat Gosnell 97-53. Avery Felts had 42 points. Avery Felts is the absolute real deal. I gave Southside Batesville the nod over Westside because Southside beat them by 1 point but honestly Westside is the better team. Avery Felts and Riley Felkins are absolute scorers.

Bbal789

Drew Central arguably the best team in 3a beat Warren 43-41

Bbal789

Quote from: BirdCall on January 02, 2018, 08:04:25 pm

Not trying to knock your argument but my guess is that you haven't seen all these players play yet. Avery Felts just dropped 42 points on Gosnell.

Bbal789

Quote from: STUNNA on January 02, 2018, 05:51:23 pm
Lol.. Warren was preparing for a state football title when they played  Bearden. They were missing 4 starters.

Did not know that my apologies that would definitely make a difference.

Bbal789

TTownfan

I'm not sure what's so strange about Tuckerman beating SS Bbal789.  Tuckerman is 18-1 on the year.  They've got a great young coach and a great group of kids that would run through a brick wall for him. Don't sell them short.

Radiotalker

Quote from: Outoftownfan on January 03, 2018, 10:02:02 am
I'm not sure what's so strange about Tuckerman beating SS Bbal789.  Tuckerman is 18-1 on the year.  They've got a great young coach and a great group of kids that would run through a brick wall for him. Don't sell them short.

also defending state runner-up

Bbal789

Quote from: Outoftownfan on January 03, 2018, 10:02:02 am

Wasn't trying to sell them short. It just surprises me that Southside Batesville can be so inconsistent.

STUNNA

I believe Warren lost last night by 2 to Drew Central.

Livewire

Quote from: Bbal789 on January 02, 2018, 10:40:05 pm
Not trying to knock your argument but my guess is that you haven't seen all these players play yet. Avery Felts just dropped 42 points on Gosnell.

Avery sat out the entire 4th quarter, as well as the other 4 starters. Would be interesting to know how many blocked shots Gage Sheffield had.

BirdCall

Quote from: Bbal789 on January 02, 2018, 10:25:41 pm
Don't be sorry your entitled to your own opinion. Most people have never heard of this kid until you talked about him probably because Stuttgart lost in the first round of district last year. Anyways Stuttgart seems to be much better than last year. What AAU team does David Walker play for? @BirdCall
He plays for a local team ran out of Stuttgart set up by Tim Johnson Jr dad Tim Johnson Sr, but I wish he would leave his team and go try out for the Wings or Hawks so he can get more exposure and go up against some of these kids who are overrated to get his name out there. But I think he is going to stay loyal to that local team but I hope the some sponsored AAU team catches one of his games and offer him a spot to play with them then he would play for sure I think.   

Bbal789

January 03, 2018, 01:20:53 pm #35 Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 01:32:23 pm by Bbal789
Quote from: ajhop on January 03, 2018, 11:59:22 am
I know alot ya look at stats and go wow. I know ive seen a bunch these players play and some over rated and some underrated. Me myself I dont care if you score 30 pts. vs weaker teams, or 25 pts on 50 shots.

I feel like most people do care because if your best player isn't scoring then you probably aren't winning. It doesn't matter if its a bad team if your hot your hot and you deserve to shoot the ball and thats what it seems like happened last night. Good stats on both defense and offense usually determine a good outcome and stats also sort of indicate how well a certain player is doing during a particular season. Yes, stats aren't everything and they don't determine wins and championships, but the best players in NBA and college always have the best stats. I was just stating that Avery Felts had 42 points just so people would know. You don't have to care not my problem not anyone elses problem. A lot of people are interested in knowing how well the best players are doing.
Avery Felts had 22 points against North Little Rock, 12 points against Southside Batesville, 23 points against Jacksonville Lighthouse, 26 points against Truman, and 18 points against Ridgefield Christian. He is a consistent scorer and Jonesboro Westside scores A LOT of points.

Bbal789

Quote from: Livewire on January 03, 2018, 01:04:52 pm
Avery sat out the entire 4th quarter, as well as the other 4 starters. Would be interesting to know how many blocked shots Gage Sheffield had.

I didn't know that. That is really impressive of Avery Felts to score 42 points in just three quarters.

Bbal789

Quote from: BirdCall on January 03, 2018, 01:20:38 pm
He plays for a local team ran out of Stuttgart set up by Tim Johnson Jr dad Tim Johnson Sr, but I wish he would leave his team and go try out for the Wings or Hawks so he can get more exposure and go up against some of these kids who are overrated to get his name out there. But I think he is going to stay loyal to that local team but I hope the some sponsored AAU team catches one of his games and offer him a spot to play with them then he would play for sure I think.

Yes, that would probably be best for him if he were trying to garner attention from college coaches even though colleges would still recruit him wherever he is if they think he is worthy enough. Heard David Walker is also a good football player so he maybe getting looks for both football and basketball.

Bbal789

Also for Jonesboro Westside Riley Felkins had 33 points against Osceola, 20 points against Ridgefield Christian, 23 points against Jacksonville Lighthouse, and 26 points against Southside Batesville

SportsDad

Quote from: STUNNA on January 03, 2018, 11:19:24 am
Don't sweat that loss too much... several players were limited on playing time due to missed practices over the holidays... biggest worry is that this team does not play defense like last year, despite having the same players. The move from the 1-3-1 defense to a 2-3 is not paying off under the new coach... and when the team goes man, well, let's just say it is horrible to watch. The team has to begin to understand that with all of the size, they must play inside/out... quit jacking up so many 3's as they are not a good outside shooting team. Can this team go a long way in the state tourney? Yes... but if they don't figure out how to play together, then they might not make it out of regionals...

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Bbal789 on January 03, 2018, 01:23:25 pm
Yes, that would probably be best for him if he were trying to garner attention from college coaches even though colleges would still recruit him wherever he is if they think he is worthy enough. Heard David Walker is also a good football player so he maybe getting looks for both football and basketball.

Yes, he's a stellar football player. I had heard he was equally good at basketball. He should be one of the best football players in the state next year. He was one of the best in 4A this year at DE, also played a little RB.

BirdCall

Quote from: Bbal789 on January 03, 2018, 01:23:25 pm
There aren't many basketball players at his size and strength with the skill set he has at this age. He needs to be playing basketball in college just saying. I have talk to him personally over the Christmas break and he has grown to like basketball somewhat more than football. He prolly is only playing football because he is good at it and he gets to play with his friends.

BirdCall

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on January 03, 2018, 01:56:58 pm
Yes, he's a stellar football player. I had heard he was equally good at basketball. He should be one of the best football players in the state next year. He was one of the best in 4A this year at DE, also played a little RB.
If he is just as good in football as basketball he should be racking up college offers to play both somewhere soon then.

Bbal789

Quote from: BirdCall on January 03, 2018, 06:22:01 pm
If he is just as good in football as basketball he should be racking up college offers to play both somewhere soon then.

I guess we will find out sooner or later

Spurfan

That ashdown team is not bad. However they have three pretty good players who are extremely athletic not playing this year. Changes the whole complexion of their team.  I think they wanted to concentrate on football and baseball

CTEPirateFan

Quote from: STUNNA on January 03, 2018, 11:19:24 am
True story. Warren had their chances and even had a 38-37 lead with 4:31 left in the game. They are still a force to be reckoned with in the 4A.

STUNNA

Quote from: CTEPirateFan on January 04, 2018, 03:12:12 pm
True story. Warren had their chances and even had a 38-37 lead with 4:31 left in the game. They are still a force to be reckoned with in the 4A.

Guess they had some guys that were not allowed to play due to missing practice over the Christmas break.

AirWarren

Quote from: ajhop on January 02, 2018, 06:48:22 pm
Bauxite lost our starting point guard. He moved away. We really miss him.

Who was that?

AirWarren

I had heard from another board that Warren got a transfer. Is that true?

SportsDad

Quote from: AirWarren on January 05, 2018, 07:50:52 am
I had heard from another board that Warren got a transfer. Is that true?
yes... the nephew of the coach... solid guard, decent shooter... 10th grade

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas