• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Officiating consistency this year

Started by 6ASOUTHPURPLECAT, October 29, 2016, 12:14:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

6ASOUTHPURPLECAT

The last few years I have been critical of the officiating I have seen on the 6A level.  Mostly older, out of shape, out of position issues. Rules interpretation and penalty administration was overall good, but level of mechanics and staying in the game basically....well, it sucked.  This year has been much better.  At least the games I have seen, and that has been all but two.  This is only at the 6A level. I have heard bad stories from the local 2A/3A level however I have not seen it with my own eyes.  I am not trying to stir up anything. I am wondering if there has been an emphasis on training lately. Have some of the older crews finally retired and we are seeing younger, more dedicated crews? Most 6A crews are assigned. Maybe the issues I am hearing on the smaller school level are because those are new crews and just getting games where they can and the small schools are getting what they are paying for? Opinions?

66 Bird Dog

It could be the conference has a new assigner and has brought in newer younger officials.  I have felt for the past 10 years, it was the out of shape entitled crews that kept younger newer crews from getting their opportunity to move up.  It seems the playoffs went right back to the good ole boy system ! Last three weeks I have seen nothing but large older officials that no longer have  the step it takes to keep up.  Old boxers always stay one or two fights to long.  Just hope they don't get hurt !

george7244

Quote from: 66 Bird Dog on December 06, 2016, 12:18:19 pm
It could be the conference has a new assigner and has brought in newer younger officials.  I have felt for the past 10 years, it was the out of shape entitled crews that kept younger newer crews from getting their opportunity to move up.  It seems the playoffs went right back to the good ole boy system ! Last three weeks I have seen nothing but large older officials that no longer have  the step it takes to keep up.  Old boxers always stay one or two fights to long.  Just hope they don't get hurt !
.      There is no good old boy system. Just ask Rulesman he will tell you so while he has his fingers crossed. Lol

6ASOUTHPURPLECAT

The crew that did the 2A game must have bee a darn good crew! They were in position to see everything!! They must have been because 7 Hampton touchdowns were called back. And they were creative too....made up a new rule on the fly. Tripping the runner has bee added as a foul just for that one game.   8)

fresh_prince

Yeah they were terrible in the 2A title game.

monster_island

Rules is rules. Tripping is against the rules.

Rulesman

monster_island

Quote from: Rulesman on December 11, 2016, 11:19:11 am
Not against the runner. Rule 9-3-7.
I stand corrected. I guess that I should be upset. The call went against my team.

tuna fish

The tripping that was called was not on the runner.  It was against a player who was pursuing the runner. 

george7244

December 11, 2016, 01:27:21 pm #9 Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 01:55:13 pm by george7244
Quote from: fresh_prince on December 11, 2016, 09:47:12 am
Yeah they were terrible in the 2A title game.
.      Impossible D B  puts only his finest on the field for the finals. Lolololol

Ole Man River

I noticed at the first of the game Hampton on defense MI on offense, defense gets into neutral zone, white hat give signal for false start and says false start on the defense.  Next play offense jumps white hat give signal for encroachment and called encroachment on the offense.  To my understanding he got both signals backwards.  I'm just saying.

66 Bird Dog

This is both sad and embarrassing, for both the officials and the AOA office.  Men so large they drop the ball to spot it, some no longer able to jog let alone run.  One game had a penalty for failure too wear a mouth piece ! Championship game no mouth piece while we watched 6 games with knees uncovered(we were told in July to strictly enforce this).  Either it's the buddy method or we don't have 6 qualified crews to call these games, if we don't have qualified crews replace the current director for failing to do his job.  And if it's the buddy system get some new buddies !  Our student athletes deserve better !  Get better or go home !

fresh_prince

We had a ref get ran over at one of our games this year and called a personal foul on the player.

bdubyab60

This year I saw an off setting encroachment on the defense and false start on the offense.

6ASOUTHPURPLECAT

Quote from: fresh_prince on December 12, 2016, 12:06:17 am
We had a ref get ran over at one of our games this year and called a personal foul on the player.

Saw this at an El Dorado game too.  Defensive lineman wrapped up running back 5 yards behind line of scrimmage, and momentum carried them backwards. White hat started back pedaling but not fast enough. Players bumped him.  Out came the flag.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas