• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gibson.com Top 50 Guitarists of All Time

Started by bleudog, May 29, 2010, 09:11:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bleudog

Ty

1a. Jimi Hendrix
1b. Chuck Berry

Anything anyone else did was a product of those two men.

SandLizard04

Quote from: Ty on May 29, 2010, 09:24:29 am
1. Robert Johnson
Anything anyone else did was a product of those two that man.
Fixed.

Jack White should be in the top ten, IMO.

And I think Matthew Bellamy should've at least made the top 50.

But a pretty good list that probably covered most of the essentials.

bleudog

Quote from: Ramblin' Man™ on May 30, 2010, 07:26:01 am
1. Robert Johnson
Fixed.

Hey RM, did you see this from last week?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2010/may/27/robert-johnson-blues

SandLizard04

Quote from: bleudog on May 30, 2010, 11:38:00 am
1. Robert Johnson
Fixed.

Very interesting. Hadn't seen that.

Father Guido

Quote from: bleudog on May 30, 2010, 11:38:00 am
1. Robert Johnson
Fixed.

That's a good read.  Robert Johnson was waaay ahead of his time.  To hear someone like Eric Clapton discuss Robert Johnson and what he was doing, is amazing.  Clapton has been quoted as saying that HE has a difficult time, a) figuring out what RJ was doing in certain songs on the guitar, and b) managing to duplicate that, is absolutely astounding.

I was glad to see Steve Cropper and David Gilmore get some props on that list.

The Reality is back...

I didn't see Muddy Waters on there. That saddens me. I love his sound more than Robert johnson's, but I know that is just down to personal taste.

I am VERY happy to see Prince so high. Everytime I bring him up in a conversation like this, no one thinks he's worth a crap. I'm sick of A) Prince and B) everyone from the 80's being written off as crap. lol

bleudog

Quote from: Agent of Chaos on August 28, 2010, 05:01:54 pm
I didn't see Muddy Waters on there. That saddens me. I love his sound more than Robert johnson's, but I know that is just down to personal taste.

I am VERY happy to see Prince so high. Everytime I bring him up in a conversation like this, no one thinks he's worth a crap. I'm sick of A) Prince and B) everyone from the 80's being written off as crap. lol

But along the Muddy Waters line, they did have a pretty good one at #42, Howlin' Wolf's guitarist Hubert Sumlin.  He was born in the area and still performs today.

CLICK HERE

Chief_Osceola™

I was happy to see Django Reinhardt on the list.  I doubt many here have even heard of him, but he was one of those 'ahead of his time' kind of guys.  I believe he was also a violin virtuoso.

driftydude1234

bleudog

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on September 03, 2010, 05:23:34 pm
I was happy to see Django Reinhardt on the list.  I doubt many here have even heard of him, but he was one of those 'ahead of his time' kind of guys.  I believe he was also a violin virtuoso.

I had heard of Reinhardt by way of Jerry Jeff Walker.  Walker was such a fan, he named his son Django.

http://www.myspace.com/djangowalkerband

The Reality is back...

Quote from: bleudog on September 11, 2010, 04:00:45 pm

I had heard of Reinhardt by way of Jerry Jeff Walker.  Walker was such a fan, he named his son Django.

Pissin in the wind....

bleudog

Quote from: Agent of Chaos on September 13, 2010, 02:54:13 am
Quote from: bleudog on September 11, 2010, 04:00:45 pm

Pissin in the wind....

Unfortunately that sometimes happens when some buckaroos have had too much Sangria Wine.

But hopping curbs in those Cadillacs is fun son. ;D

mack

Yes, he started on violin, but switched [in some accounts] to a "Banji-tar" or a banjo, then to guitar.  After he was badly burned, he only had two truly functional fingers on his left hand.  He used the non functional ones for some chording.  All those mad solos you can hear are two fingered. 

MA

Is this just for electric guitar players? I didnt see andy McKee on there. That guy is unbelievable. I spent $10 the other day on an album of just him and an acoustic guitar. No singing or other instruments. It blows me away

mack

Quote from: krik6 on February 28, 2011, 02:07:23 am
Is this just for electric guitar players? I didnt see andy McKee on there. That guy is unbelievable. I spent $10 the other day on an album of just him and an acoustic guitar. No singing or other instruments. It blows me away

Youtube Monte Montgomery for some acoustic madness,,,,,,,  crazy skills.............

Rayburn

SRV is my all-time favorite so of course I think he should've been much higher. Years ago while having this same conversation, a friend mine, once Chuck Berry was brought up, said "oh he's like the Moses of rock." Totally off the cuff, but fitting. Other greats greater than he were to come, but never would have without him.

I like the list because it didn't limit itself to technical ability. Technically speaking, who is really better than Yngvie Malmsteen? But his music is totally devoid of the substance that makes music an art. Listening to him is like reading an instruction manual for some very complex project. Impressive, but not exactly moving or entertaining.

And did I really not see Eric Johnson on that list anywhere? Surely I overlooked his name.

hitemgogetem

The mere fact that Joe Satiani is not on the list makes me think their list leans towards those that played Gibson's.......Joe is an Ibanez guy and has been for almost 3 decades .....Melodic when he wants to be.......absolutely shreds when he wants to (but not just for the sake of shredding)....and oozes emotion with every wa wa and riff....off the wall song titles but when you hear it for the first time....you get why.  If you ever went surfing with an alien......it would have to sound like that.....Satch is on my fav list for sure...
y fav list every time.....

Rayburn

Quote from: hitemgogetem on March 19, 2012, 04:33:08 pm
The mere fact that Joe Satiani is not on the list makes me think their list leans towards those that played Gibson's.......Joe is an Ibanez guy and has been for almost 3 decades .....Melodic when he wants to be.......absolutely shreds when he wants to (but not just for the sake of shredding)....and oozes emotion with every wa wa and riff....off the wall song titles but when you hear it for the first time....you get why.  If you ever went surfing with an alien......it would have to sound like that.....Satch is on my fav list for sure...
y fav list every time.....
You might be onto something with the Gibson conspiracy. They included the non-Gibson players that they absolutely had to include, like Clapton and SRV (like I said, much too low). Guys like Satriani and Vai (also an Ibanez guy) and Eric Johnson (Fender) who are widely and nearly unanimously on anyone's list, not being there does raise an eyebrow.

hitemgogetem

A lot of their reasonings behind their list were based on their influence on later musicians.......well what better influence than to be their teacher?  Vai (who I also would walk 200 miles just to hear from a distance) started out as a Satriani student.......Metallica wouldn't have some of their signature riffs if Satch didn't have a say so with Kirk Hammett in his early years....there's probably more that I don't even know about......

One of the greatest two and half hours of my existence though was sitting in awe, in Robinson Auditorium in LR watching Stevie Ray Vaughn.......he went through 4 guitars, broke 6 strings along the way, and was seamless going from one to the next.  I walked out of there thinking I have to see him again........he was gone 2 years later.........

green-eagle

Duane Allman was too low on the list......this man was way ahead of Jimi prior to his death.....also where's billy Gibbons? this man was Jimi's favorite guitar player!

the game

March 30, 2012, 06:11:40 pm #22 Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 12:11:48 pm by the game
    No Robin Trower .... must be because he plays a Fender .....                                                       1. Too Rolling Stoned live 1975 .....   http://youtu.be/ro63WkTz2Gk   ......                     2.  Alethea live 1975 .....  http://youtu.be/JxT0K0_eri8   .......                                                  3. 1980 live  ..... Day of the Eagle ...http://youtu.be/S-tJ-b8kly4  ..........                                    4. And for those interested a 32 minute interview .... at about 27 minutes you see why Gibson may not have included him .....http://youtu.be/DajPHoFYcwc   ..........                                 5. Robin Trower talks Guitars , Amps , Effects ....... http://youtu.be/uj3nwpCfZOA

Billyo62

Last Night at BWA....Not one of the greatest but still pretty good.

Afro Pick

Rayburn

Quote from: hitemgogetem on March 20, 2012, 01:00:18 pm
A lot of their reasonings behind their list were based on their influence on later musicians.......well what better influence than to be their teacher?  Vai (who I also would walk 200 miles just to hear from a distance) started out as a Satriani student.......Metallica wouldn't have some of their signature riffs if Satch didn't have a say so with Kirk Hammett in his early years....there's probably more that I don't even know about......

One of the greatest two and half hours of my existence though was sitting in awe, in Robinson Auditorium in LR watching Stevie Ray Vaughn.......he went through 4 guitars, broke 6 strings along the way, and was seamless going from one to the next.  I walked out of there thinking I have to see him again........he was gone 2 years later.........
As far as influence goes, i think no one has influenced rock-n-roll guitar like Chuck Berry. He's like Moses. He took them to the land where future generations could flourish. He's not the greatest, but without him there are no others.

Billyo62

Quote from: Rayburn on September 07, 2012, 01:54:51 pm
Quote from: hitemgogetem on March 20, 2012, 01:00:18 pm

As far as influence goes, i think no one has influenced rock-n-roll guitar like Chuck Berry. He's like Moses. He took them to the land where future generations could flourish. He's not the greatest, but without him there are no others.

Agree 100%...

bleudog

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas