• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fayetteville

Started by by-stander, August 20, 2017, 07:41:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

by-stander

Do they have a chance to 3peat?

Razorback Red

Sure they do, but it will be tough.  FHS always has talent and they will be well Coached, but replacing a player like TP is never easy.  They've had quite the run of QB's with BA, AA and TP.

With only 16 teams in 7A (and you can eliminate 6-8 them prior to the season starting), that is solid odds if the ball bounces the right way. 

Personally, I would give them the 5th best odds of winning it all going into the season behind HB, BHS, Bryant and NLR.

Lumberjackfan1978

Will definitely be well coached

sportsguy80

The path will be very difficult not just by losing Powell but that senior class was special. They have the talent but unknown players will have to step up and do it fast. Some good factors that will help reach their 3peat goal are:
1. Coach Dawson (name speaks for himself)
2. Tough nonconference schedule (battled tested early)
3. Bryant as an early opponent (may see them again)
4. The games that matter the most start in November (playoffs)

Rob Van Winkle

They travel to Greenwood on Monday for a benefit game. Should be a good measuring stick for both teams.

sportsguy80

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on August 20, 2017, 02:31:46 pm
They travel to Greenwood on Monday for a benefit game. Should be a good measuring stick for both teams.
Definitely should be. I went last year and both teams looked very good for a scrimmage game. They had mistakes but it was a well played and coached game. The biggest difference is many had higher expectations for Fayetteville last year. Wish I could go check both teams out tomorrow.

Rob Van Winkle

August 21, 2017, 03:08:03 pm #6 Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 03:11:56 pm by Rob Van Winkle
I think it is going to be streamed on interwebs (whatever in the heck that is)  ;D ;D ;D

bulldogger15

Quote from: by-stander on August 20, 2017, 07:41:20 am
Do they have a chance to 3peat?
Fayetteville might have a chance to 3peat since Greenwood is 6A. Yesterday's benefit game at Greenwood was totally dominated by Greenwoood's 1st team defense. The only time the Bulldog's 1st team offense was stopped, they did it themselves (interception). The Greenwood Bulldogs defense was swarming and solid. The Greenwood offense looked fluid and consistent for the first time in several years.

Looks like Ricky Don Jones has the Greenwood Bulldog's firing on all cylinders and I heard nothing but positive things in the stands last night from the Greenwood faithful. A lot of positive energy in the air surrounding the Greenwood Bulldogs football program right now.

And on a real note about Fayetteville now. NO WAY they 3peat, unless you're talking about them winning their conference.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

STBruin

Quote from: bulldogger15 on August 22, 2017, 08:41:16 am
Fayetteville might have a chance to 3peat since Greenwood is 6A. Yesterday's benefit game at Greenwood was totally dominated by Greenwoood's 1st team defense. The only time the Bulldog's 1st team offense was stopped, they did it themselves (interception). The Greenwood Bulldogs defense was swarming and solid. The Greenwood offense looked fluid and consistent for the first time in several years.

Looks like Ricky Don Jones has the Greenwood Bulldog's firing on all cylinders and I heard nothing but positive things in the stands last night from the Greenwood faithful. A lot of positive energy in the air surrounding the Greenwood Bulldogs football program right now.

And on a real note about Fayetteville now. NO WAY they 3peat, unless you're talking about them winning their conference.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Saw them at team camp early this summer and was not impressed at all, with the graduation of Powell, they will struggle offensively...and have to agree with you that there is no way they 3peat...

Rob Van Winkle

They do not have the horses to 3peat. They lost more talent over the last 2 years than anyone else, especially at key positions. Their QB is talented and athletic but not at the level FV has been used to. They also do not have the big time playmakers at the skill positions plus they lost a ton on defense so when you add all of that together it does not bode well for them to be at the level they have been for the last several years.

IMO I think they start the year at best 1-4 and there is a strong possibility they are 0-5. They have a brutal non-conference schedule and then go on the road to both Bentonville schools. That's a tough way for anyone in the 7A West to start the season. If their QB stays healthy and improves throughout the year, which I think he will, they have a chance to finish 4th in the 7A West. I honestly think that Springdale and Van Buren are capable of giving them a run for their money this year, as crazy as that sounds.

The Future

I also don't think they will 3peat.
But I wouldn't place a bet on it.
We've seen a 7A team start out 0-4 and still win state that year. Bentonville a few years back

Neckred

I don't think Fayetteville has that much talent left.  Like Little Rock some of the young athletes are starting to like basketball more than football in that area.  I would be shocked if they won 8 games

7AFBFAN

Dang that must have been one heck of a scrimmage to be throwing in the towel on a powerhouse with one of the best coaches in the state this early. I say let them play a real game or two.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on August 22, 2017, 02:19:53 pm
Dang that must have been one heck of a scrimmage to be throwing in the towel on a powerhouse with one of the best coaches in the state this early. I say let them play a real game or two.

My overview was not tied in any way to the GW scrimmage. Just based on the talent they now have, coupled with a brutal schedule to start the season. The last few groups that FV had were used to winning from a young age. This group has not had near the success over the years, especially when competing against against their peers from Harber and Bentonville.

Hey with Dawson at the helm anything is possible. All the guy does is win but this time he is really at a talent deficit.

Neckred

When you lose 10 starters on defense and a QB to Mizzou and lineman to D1 teams you are gonna take a huge hit.  Major dropoff. 

7AFBFAN

Well winning the state championship in the fashion they did last year they could drop off and still have a decent chance. I hear they still have some great athletes.

STBruin

Quote from: Neckred on August 22, 2017, 03:16:00 pm
When you lose 10 starters on defense and a QB to Mizzou and lineman to D1 teams you are gonna take a huge hit.  Major dropoff.

I saw them earlier this summer at team camp in Greenwood...and they just did not look any where close to the team that was at War Memorial in December...size wise...and definitely talent wise...but with the run they have had...that happens...

Razorback Red

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on August 22, 2017, 03:23:20 pm
Well winning the state championship in the fashion they did last year they could drop off and still have a decent chance. I hear they still have some great athletes.

I agree and I think FHS will be just fine.  It was just a scrimmage and against perhaps the best QB in the state.  Pretty tall task for a young D.  Offensive weapons are there.  CBD will put the pieces together. 

Keep in mind, Bryant got hammered last year in a scrimmage and were a completely different team late in the season. 

Neckred

Lost too many good players.  Fayettevilles last two groups that graduated have been incredible since they were young.  The groups up there now not so much

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: Neckred on August 23, 2017, 10:05:32 am
Lost too many good players.  Fayettevilles last two groups that graduated have been incredible since they were young.  The groups up there now not so much

Neck you are 100% dead on. The group there now (10-12) have been average at best on the football field. If they win 6 games Dawson should be coach of the year.

bulldogger15

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on August 23, 2017, 10:42:20 am
Neck you are 100% dead on. The group there now (10-12) have been average at best on the football field. If they win 6 games Dawson should be coach of the year.
+1

Rob Van Winkle

HUGE win for the purple dogs tonight!!! Definitely surprised me but great job repping the 7A West!!

Razorback Red

Congrats to Coach Dawson on the huge road win against one of the top programs in MO year end and year out. 

My Dad and I were talking yesterday about how far HS football has come in AR since my early days of watching CBD QB for BHS in old Tiger Stadium.  The last 10 years have been really good for the entire state.  I was telling him it was awesome Thurs night seeing so many AR kids play such big roles for the Hogs. 

sportsguy80

Quote from: Razorback Red on September 02, 2017, 06:42:39 am
Congrats to Coach Dawson on the huge road win against one of the top programs in MO year end and year out. 

My Dad and I were talking yesterday about how far HS football has come in AR since my early days of watching CBD QB for BHS in old Tiger Stadium.  The last 10 years have been really good for the entire state.  I was telling him it was awesome Thurs night seeing so many AR kids play such big roles for the Hogs.
You're spot on. We were headed to KC yesterday and met quite a few Fayetteville fans headed to Blue Springs at the gas station in Missouri. Like mentioned earlier, Coach Dawson gets the best from his players and staff.

Rob Van Winkle

Halfway in and the Purple Dogs are 1-4 but have played arguably the toughest schedule in the 7A. The should get back on track the next couple of weeks playing both Rogers schools. Haven't seen a FV defense give up this many points per game in a long time.

Can they still finish strong and host a playoff game?

Razorback Red

October 02, 2017, 04:54:27 pm #25 Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 05:03:05 pm by Razorback Red
Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on October 02, 2017, 02:37:15 pm
Halfway in and the Purple Dogs are 1-4 but have played arguably the toughest schedule in the 7A. The should get back on track the next couple of weeks playing both Rogers schools. Haven't seen a FV defense give up this many points per game in a long time.

Can they still finish strong and host a playoff game?

So realistically speaking, FHS has 3 for sure wins left on their schedule, 1 game I'll count as a for sure loss (Harber) and then the Springdale game will more than likely be for the 4-5 seed. 

FHS would be a very dangerous 1st round draw for whoever gets them.  Better be ready to play that night.  Bowers is getting better each game.  FHS could just as easily be 4-1 (West was just better last Fri night), but the other losses came down to the end

Neckred

Now do you see what I was talking about people?

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: Neckred on October 03, 2017, 01:31:42 pm

I have been saying the same thing.

Neckred

Yep Van Winkle.  Last year when you watched practice it had a college feel with the size and talent.  Not this year

tj1987

Quote from: Neckred on October 03, 2017, 03:08:46 pm
Yep Van Winkle.  Last year when you watched practice it had a college feel with the size and talent.  Not this year
Last year was one of the best Fayetteville team ever, however this team contains many first year underclassmen. 2 one point ovetime loses to top teams. They have had 3 head coaches in 3 years but are improving quickly and can be dangerous down the stretch.  Very underrated D-line that is one of the best in the conference.   O-line and coverage schemes in the secondary are the weaknesses.  That results in a below average run game and too many big plays on third down given up.  If they get it together they can go far in the playoffs.  I look for them to have a real chance to beat Har-ber who is poorly coached and underachieving. If they beat Harber look for them to win out.

tj1987

Quote from: Razorback Red on October 02, 2017, 04:54:27 pm
So realistically speaking, FHS has 3 for sure wins left on their schedule, 1 game I'll count as a for sure loss (Harber) and then the Springdale game will more than likely be for the 4-5 seed. 

FHS would be a very dangerous 1st round draw for whoever gets them.  Better be ready to play that night.  Bowers is getting better each game.  FHS could just as easily be 4-1 (West was just better last Fri night), but the other losses came down to the end
Fayetteville fumble in the end zone and a very poor targeting call that resulted in a fumble return for a touchdown being called back(which would have been 12-14 points) proved to be the difference.  Game was tied 28-28 in the 4th.  Fayetteville didnt play perfectly but really should/could have won that game.

tj1987

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on October 03, 2017, 02:43:34 pm
I have been saying the same thing.
Apparently talented enough to beat Harber.

tj1987

Quote from: Neckred on October 03, 2017, 01:31:42 pm
[/quote
Apparently talented enough to beat Harber. Watch more closely.

tj1987

Quote from: Neckred on August 23, 2017, 10:05:32 am
Kids grow up and get better and some get worse.  Harber's talent peaked in 9th grade Fayetteville's is still improving.  Last nights game was an example of that.  You see it all the time in High School sports. Just because players were good in Junior High doesnt mean it translates and vise versa.

tj1987

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on August 22, 2017, 01:56:22 pm
They do not have the horses to 3peat. They lost more talent over the last 2 years than anyone else, especially at key positions. Their QB is talented and athletic but not at the level FV has been used to. They also do not have the big time playmakers at the skill positions plus they lost a ton on defense so when you add all of that together it does not bode well for them to be at the level they have been for the last several years.

IMO I think they start the year at best 1-4 and there is a strong possibility they are 0-5. They have a brutal non-conference schedule and then go on the road to both Bentonville schools. That's a tough way for anyone in the 7A West to start the season. If their QB stays healthy and improves throughout the year, which I think he will, they have a chance to finish 4th in the 7A West. I honestly think that Springdale and Van Buren are capable of giving them a run for their money this year, as crazy as that sounds.

Kids grow up and get better and some get worse.  Harber's talent peaked in 9th grade Fayetteville's is still improving.  Last nights game was an example of that.  You see it all the time in High School sports. Just because players were good in junior High doesnt mean it translates and vise versa.  Fay has the best tandem of receivers in 7A and they're defensive line although not as heralded as Harber's performs better on the field.  Fay QB is top 2 in the 7A west minimum.  Harber will continue to struggle because they cant protect, QB makes poor decisions, commit too many penalties, commit too many personal fouls (thats coaching IMO).  I would take Fay QB and receivers over any team in the conference and their D line would be right up there with the best. They arent as good as last year but no slouch and dangerous.

tj1987

Quote from: Razorback Red on October 02, 2017, 04:54:27 pm

What was that about a "for sure" loss to Har-ber again?

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: tj1987 on October 17, 2017, 10:26:17 am
Fayetteville fumble in the end zone and a very poor targeting call that resulted in a fumble return for a touchdown being called back(which would have been 12-14 points) proved to be the difference.  Game was tied 28-28 in the 4th.  Fayetteville didnt play perfectly but really should/could have won that game.
Give FV credit for getting a big win. But make no mistake Harber just can't get out of their own way. Dropped 2 for sure deep balls for TDs or it could have been a totally different story.

If you want to talk about bad calls on FVs TD to go ahead 28-21 the left tackle flinched big time (watch the film and you will see) and the ref didn't call it.

Bottom line neither team is really playing that good and last night's game showed just that. Harber can't protect the QB at all and FV really doesn't have a running game to speak of. Both of those issues will likely prevent them going very far in the playoffs.

tj1987

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on October 21, 2017, 04:50:36 pm
Give FV credit for getting a big win. But make no mistake Harber just can't get out of their own way. Dropped 2 for sure deep balls for TDs or it could have been a totally different story.

If you want to talk about bad calls on FVs TD to go ahead 28-21 the left tackle flinched big time (watch the film and you will see) and the ref didn't call it.

Bottom line neither team is really playing that good and last night's game showed just that. Harber can't protect the QB at all and FV really doesn't have a running game to speak of. Both of those issues will likely prevent them going very far in the playoffs.
[/quote
Calls did not decide that game. I saw several others not worth debating. However, I think Harber has bigger problems then the opposing team's left tackles pre-snap flinching.  Namely their quarterback and O line play is lacking. Unfortunately the QB threw as many picks as completions and he only threw 2 picks.  Fay QB and receiver play is much better and that was very evident.  Fay will go farther in the playoffs because they are simply a better team.  IMO Harber needs better coaching I think they have the talent.

sportsguy80

Quote from: tj1987 on October 21, 2017, 05:20:35 pm
Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on October 21, 2017, 04:50:36 pm

[/quote
Calls did not decide that game. I saw several others not worth debating. However, I think Harber has bigger problems then the opposing team's left tackles pre-snap flinching.  Namely their quarterback and O line play is lacking. Unfortunately the QB threw as many picks as completions and he only threw 2 picks.  Fay QB and receiver play is much better and that was very evident.  Fay will go farther in the playoffs because they are simply a better team.  IMO Harber needs better coaching I think they have the talent.
I agree. The past 2 years many include myself have said Harber is a legit contender at the beginning of the season. Before the season started last year, them and Fayetteville were the clear cut favorites. As the season progressed, Harber's play declined and the same is happening this year. I believe that either the coaches and/or the players have gotten caught up in the early success. Meanwhile, it seems a young Fayetteville team is improving. Last night's game was very good but there were mistakes and missed calls on both sides.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: sportsguy80 on October 21, 2017, 05:46:17 pm
I agree. The past 2 years many include myself have said Harber is a legit contender at the beginning of the season. Before the season started last year, them and Fayetteville were the clear cut favorites. As the season progressed, Harber's play declined and the same is happening this year. I believe that either the coaches and/or the players have gotten caught up in the early success. Meanwhile, it seems a young Fayetteville team is improving. Last night's game was very good but there were mistakes and missed calls on both sides.
Hey I'm not blaming he refs for the outcome at all. Calls were missed on both sides. I agree with what both of you guys said. Harber regressing while other teams improving. Very disappointing to say the least.

sportsguy80

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on October 21, 2017, 05:52:09 pm
Hey I'm not blaming he refs for the outcome at all. Calls were missed on both sides. I agree with what both of you guys said. Harber regressing while other teams improving. Very disappointing to say the least.
On another note, both teams have time to improve before the playoffs. I still wouldn't wanna play either team.

tj1987

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on October 21, 2017, 05:52:09 pm
I respect your opinion sir.  I think Harber has the talent and the kids play hard so I'm not sure if there isnt a coaching factor there.  I expected this jr and sr group to be much better in big games. I was shocked at last years Harber vs Fay game, I didnt expect that.  I think the Harber kids play with pride.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas