• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Wrestling Thread

Started by VHSCoach2, January 29, 2016, 11:06:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

1-Adam-12

Quote from: jbtiger73 on October 05, 2017, 07:00:47 am
Definitely excited about war games. One of my favorite pay per views. I remember growing up in Brinkley, and watching channel 5 out of Memphis every Saturday morning. With Lance Russell and the weather man, Dave Brown, and eventually Corey Macklin. That was when Vince started buying out the territories like USWA, Smokey Mountain Wrestling, among others. Lance Russell was definitely one of my favorites.

I grew up in Stuttgart, and one of the things I would remember him say many a time when a brawl broke out, he would go, "No no no no. Come on.  We're going to take a break. No.  We're going to take a break.  And we'll be right back."

Austin Idol was another of the wrestlers I remember from that time.  He was a Ric Flair-type character.

jbtiger73

I remember mean Mark (undertaker). The spellbinder, wildlife Tommy Rich, among others

VHSCoach2

I sold my tickets to Survivor Series just so I would have the extra money to spend on NXT TakeOver: WarGames.

While that will delay my viewing of the Big Four in person (I've been to two WrestleManias, 25 and 32, and the 2001 Royal Rumble, but have never attended SummerSlam or Survivor Series), I feel like TakeOver: WarGames is a must-see.

VHSCoach2

Oh, man!  HIAC delivered, for the most part.  Amazing that the same show that gave us that wretched Battleground event back in July gave us, perhaps, the best single-brand PPV event of the year.

In terms of enjoyment for me:

The Usos vs. The New Day
Kevin Owens vs. Shane McMahon
Baron Corbin vs. AJ Styles vs. Tye Dillinger
Randy Orton vs. Rusev
Chad Gable and Shelton Benajmin vs. The Hype Bros
Charlotte Flair vs. Natalya (would be higher if not for the crap ending)
Bobby Roode vs. Dolph Ziggler
Jinder Mahal vs. Shinsuke Nakamura

1-Adam-12

October 09, 2017, 05:10:27 pm #354 Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 05:18:24 pm by 1-Adam-12
Not many people saw that Sami Zayn heel turn coming.  This, however, may be the boost he needed because he was languishing.

Yes, that was a stinky ending to the women's match. Nattie didn't have to do that, she was in control.  There has to be something coming culminating with Carmella cashing in Money in the Bank on someone.

And I am sick of Jinder Mahal.

Longfellow

I'm watching RAW for the first time in years, and I just have not been impressed. No one I've seen has really been entertaining, except for that promo they ran on Asuka

1-Adam-12

That Fatal 5-way elimination went almost exactly as I thought. 

You knew they weren't going to throw Bayley or Sasha to Asuka that early.  And Fox and Dana just haven't been factors lately. 

Emma does have history with Asuka so that makes sense.

To me, this Shield reunion is just another gimmick to force the fans to like Roman Reigns.

VHSCoach2

Neville reported walked out of Raw and quit WWE on Monday afternoon.  I go into more detail about it here: http://www.gerweck.net/2017/10/10/report-neville-walks-out-of-raw-quits-wwe/

1-Adam-12

October 11, 2017, 04:53:01 pm #358 Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 05:03:26 pm by 1-Adam-12
I was wondering why I didn't see him among the lumberjacks in Enzo vs. Kalisto. 

The fact that he was supposed to be IN the match would explain that.

Wonder if he was going to have his pride hurt by booking him to lose to Enzo?

Be that as it may, if true that makes two cruiserweights that have bolted, Austin Aries being the other. 

The division is just not going over (though DANG I like Rich Swann's entrance music!) like WWE thought it would.

ViloniaEaglestoWMS

Southpaw is worlds better than this unwatchable crap

1-Adam-12

Woah. Kane.

Obviously wanting revenge on Reigns for retiring Taker.

jbtiger73

I promise, I thought the same thing as well. I guess that mayoral campaign didn't go as well for him. He looks good though. That's definitely a feud that they may visit after this match at TLC

VHSCoach2

MAJOR changes to the TLC card for Sunday...

Kurt Angle has replaced Roman Reigns in the 5-on-3 Handicap TLC Match. Reigns has been diagnosed with viral meningitis, the same illness that has directly affect another match...

Bray Wyatt has also been removed from the show. Finn Balor's new opponent will be AJ Styles.

1-Adam-12

October 20, 2017, 10:40:00 pm #363 Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:43:29 pm by 1-Adam-12
I've also heard that is what's been wrong with Bo Dallas (part of the Miztourage) and JoJo (one of the announcers) and why they had a different ring announcer on Raw last Monday.

That may actually make for a much better match for Balor.  While I like him I think the storyline with him and Bray was getting tired.  Balor-Styles should be a heck of a match.

And it seems Nia Jax has taken a leave of absence and may ask for a release.

A different kind of Superstar Shake-up.

VHSCoach2

October 23, 2017, 09:28:58 am #364 Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 09:30:37 am by VHSCoach2
TLC was pretty good last night, especially for a show that had no business being as good as it was.  In order of enjoyment for me:

Balor/Styles
Banks/Fox
Asuka/Emma
Bliss/James
Olympic Shield/BarMizvah
Alexander/Swann vs. Kendrick/Gallagher
Jordan/Elias
Amore/Kalisto

1-Adam-12

October 23, 2017, 01:06:30 pm #365 Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 01:08:25 pm by 1-Adam-12
Quote from: VHSCoach2 on October 23, 2017, 09:28:58 am
TLC was pretty good last night, especially for a show that had no business being as good as it was.  In order of enjoyment for me:

Balor/Styles
Banks/Fox
Asuka/Emma
Bliss/James
Olympic Shield/BarMizvah
Alexander/Swann vs. Kendrick/Gallagher
Jordan/Elias
Amore/Kalisto

Olympic Shield/BarMizvah...Like that! LOL!

Bad when sickness hits the WWE and alters the card, but this time Creative did a great job.  I mean, getting AJ Styles to come in?  That was, let's just say it, Phenomenal.

I think they are trying to set up an eventual Bliss/Asuka title match, but will someone intervene and take the title off Bliss before then?

1-Adam-12

I'd be good with AJ Styles being the face of the whole WWE.

That is all.

J.D.

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on October 23, 2017, 07:42:01 pm
I'd be good with AJ Styles being the face of the whole WWE.

That is all.

Interested to see where AJ will fit into next year's Wrestlemania card. 

As long as Vince is breathing, Roman is the guy.

The dream would be to see Kenny Omega as the face of WWE.  Wishful thinking though

J.D.

Quote from: J.D. on October 27, 2017, 03:53:09 pm
Interested to see where AJ will fit into next year's Wrestlemania card. 

As long as Vince is breathing, Roman is the guy.

The dream would be to see Kenny Omega as the face of WWE.  Wishful thinking though

Also, the booking decision to have Kane go over Balor one night removed from beating AJ Styles was bizarre.  I mean, it's obvious why they wanted Kane to look strong but there are 5-10 people in the back that Kane could Squash. 

1-Adam-12

October 27, 2017, 09:23:22 pm #369 Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 09:25:06 pm by 1-Adam-12
I was wondering that myself.  Goldust was in the house, why not him?

And the wrestling community are all over Dana Brooke, for her running when SmackDown invaded Raw. You should see some of the memes.

Looks like Alicia Fox is now getting a bit of a push.

1-Adam-12

While I'm at it, I find it interesting that after The Shield reunited, the crowd will cheer Ambrose and Rollins, but still Roman gets booed unmercifully. 

J.D.

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on October 27, 2017, 10:28:38 pm
While I'm at it, I find it interesting that after The Shield reunited, the crowd will cheer Ambrose and Rollins, but still Roman gets booed unmercifully.

The shield is nothing more but another attempt to get Roman over with crowd before he main events another Wrestlemania with Brock Lesnar.

At least we will get heel Ambrose vs Rollins at some point in the  future.

VHSCoach2

I read something that has me concerned. At an NXT House Show in Sanford, Florida last night, the women participated in a Halloween Costume Battle Royal.

Now, hopefully this was a one-off thing with the holiday coming up. I really hope it's not a sign of a reversal back to having the women in costumes or skimpy outfits around all of the holidays.

1-Adam-12

October 28, 2017, 10:38:59 am #373 Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 10:41:55 am by 1-Adam-12
NXT did that in 2015 as well, so it's nothing new.

And the winner of that one? Bayley, defeating 15 others...including Elias, Jason Jordan, Chad Gable, Rich Swann, among others.

1-Adam-12

October 29, 2017, 12:28:12 pm #374 Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 12:42:37 pm by 1-Adam-12
Reading that Emma has been released.  Shame.  That was pretty abrupt too.

Didn't care for a lot of her antics but a very talented performer.

Summer Rae, too. 

If indeed Jax has also left, the Raw Women's Division seems to be imploding.  All three were signed to Raw.

Over on the men's side Darren Young also was released.

VHSCoach2

Emma was criminally underused during her time in WWE, as was Summer Rae.

Darren Young was brought in with the original Nexus group, but was squashed (with the rest of the group) by John Cena. He never really recovered from that, outside of one run with the tag titles with Titus O'Neil when they were the Prime Time Players.

1-Adam-12

I honestly thought Emma was going to be on the Raw team for the traditional Survivor Series tag match vs SmackDown, along with Alicia, Bayley, Sasha and Mickie.  She had been getting pushed a bit lately, albeit in a losing-to-Asuka storyline.

Summer Rae had just restarted wrestling in dark matches.  I honestly never saw her in action as her prime time coincided with the time I wasn't watching wrestling.  Same with Darren Young.

With those two women now released, does this pave the way for the callup of what NXT fans call "The Iconic Duo" of Peyton Royce and Billie Kay? (Ironically, like Emma, they're both Australian.)

J.D.

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on October 29, 2017, 12:58:07 pm
Emma was criminally underused during her time in WWE, as was Summer Rae.

Darren Young was brought in with the original Nexus group, but was squashed (with the rest of the group) by John Cena. He never really recovered from that, outside of one run with the tag titles with Titus O'Neil when they were the Prime Time Players.

Only Heath Slater remains from the original Nexus.  Absurd.

1-Adam-12

October 30, 2017, 08:13:56 pm #378 Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 09:45:54 pm by 1-Adam-12
So Samoa Joe is back. Nia Jax too. 

And Stephanie McMahon.

Who's next? Paige?

Also surprised I didn't hear any "We Want Emma" chants.  But I did miss the first 30 minutes or so.

J.D.

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on October 30, 2017, 08:13:56 pm
So Samoa Joe is back. Nia Jax too. 

And Stephanie McMahon.

Who's next? Paige?

Also surprised I didn't hear any "We Want Emma" chants.  But I did miss the first 30 minutes or so.

Why? I mean she was misused, but the WWE never did anything with her to make the audience really care about her.

She was more over when teaming with SANTINO.

VHSCoach2

NXT is coming to Little Rock!

The event will be held at the Metroplex on Saturday, December 16th. Tickets go on sale tomorrow morning at 10.

1-Adam-12

Quote from: J.D. on November 01, 2017, 03:40:34 pm
Why? I mean she was misused, but the WWE never did anything with her to make the audience really care about her.

She was more over when teaming with SANTINO.

My logic was based on a possible fan protest against Vinny Mac as much as anything related to Emma herself.  He has, to used a wrestling term, botched it with a lot of the younger talent.

VHSCoach2

Chris Jericho appeared at NJPW's Power Struggle event earlier today and challenged Kenny Omega to a match at Wrestle Kingdom 12 in January. Omega accepted, and the match is official and will be for the IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship.

This will mark Jericho's first match for any promotion other than WWE since 1999.

VHSCoach2

Seems like we're getting The Shield vs. The New Day at Survivor Series.

bleudog

The ESPN 30 for 30 on Ric Flair airs tonight.

BigLion10

Quote from: bleudog on November 07, 2017, 11:57:06 am
Seen a little preview on it, and it looks awesome man can't wait to watch it

J.D.

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on November 05, 2017, 10:40:06 am
Chris Jericho appeared at NJPW's Power Struggle event earlier today and challenged Kenny Omega to a match at Wrestle Kingdom 12 in January. Omega accepted, and the match is official and will be for the IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship.

This will mark Jericho's first match for any promotion other than WWE since 1999.

I marked out for this lol

J.D.

Spoiler Alert: 

AJ Styles wins tonight, thankfully.

beach bum

Quote from: bleudog on November 07, 2017, 11:57:06 am

Not a wrestling guy, but this has been awesome. Have the give him credit for being so willing to be so open even with the ugly stuff.

1-Adam-12

Watched the last 40 minutes of the 30 for 30 about Ric Flair. Makes me wish I'd caught the first part.  This was excellent.

Recently, I also watched a video about Alexa Bliss and her journey to the WWE.  She had a lot of issues in her personal life including an eating disorder as a teen that almost took her life.  She turned to bodybuilding as an escape.  Very good story that makes me have more respect for her.

And as for AJ Styles taking the belt off Jinder Mahal, "YES! YES! YES!"

VHSCoach2

John Cena has been announced as Smackdown Live's fifth man for the Survivor Series Elimination Match.

Raw: Angle, Joe, Balor, Strowman, Jordan
Smackdown: McMahon, Cena, Nakamura, Orton, Roode.

1-Adam-12

November 08, 2017, 02:30:45 pm #391 Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 06:30:40 pm by 1-Adam-12
On the women's side:

Raw: Alicia Fox (c), Nia Jax, Asuka, Sasha Banks and the other TBA.

SmackDown: Becky Lynch (c), Charlotte Flair, Naomi, Carmella, Tamina.  This could change because Charlotte has an upcoming match with Natalya for the SD Live Women's Championship and if she wins that she would instead go into the champ vs. champ match with Alexa Bliss, and I would assume Natalya would then join the SD Live team.

How will that fifth member be determined?  Will there be a match on Raw next week with Bayley vs Mickie James (and perhaps make it a triangle match with Dana Brooke) with the winner getting the spot?  Or does Vinny Mac have some sort of swerve?

VHSCoach2

Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn have been sent home from the European tour for reportedly "going into business for themselves" after the match between Kofi and Zayn on Smackdown last night.

Apparently, Owens and Zayn were supposed to get beat down by New Day, but they bailed from the ring before it could happen.

I am hoping this is just a part of the storyline.

1-Adam-12

November 09, 2017, 12:54:14 pm #393 Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 12:56:48 pm by 1-Adam-12
When the WWE Superstars tour Europe, the crowds seem to really get into it more than they do in the U.S., at least for the ones they back.

Bayley has been serenaded (to the tune of "Hey Baby") at every venue they have gone to with Sasha Banks usually joining in as well, and so was Becky Lynch on SmackDown.  Enzo seems to be over across the Pond.  As is The Miz.

Those from Europe get a lot of pop over there. 

One thing is in common.  Jason Jordan gets no reaction there, just like he gets no reaction here.

1-Adam-12

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on November 08, 2017, 02:30:45 pm

How will that fifth member be determined?  Will there be a match on Raw next week with Bayley vs Mickie James (and perhaps make it a triangle match with Dana Brooke) with the winner getting the spot?  Or does Vinny Mac have some sort of swerve?

And that is exactly the way it will be.  Bayley vs. Mickie vs. Dana.

Watch out for some Alicia Fox shenanigans meant to keep Bayley and Mickie out.

jbtiger73

I actually think Carmella will cash in on a Charlotte win on either smackdown after her win, or at survivor series after the champion vs. Champion match with Alexa Bliss.

1-Adam-12

November 11, 2017, 10:48:15 pm #396 Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 10:53:46 pm by 1-Adam-12
Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on November 09, 2017, 11:07:00 pm
And that is exactly the way it will be.  Bayley vs. Mickie vs. Dana.

Watch out for some Alicia Fox shenanigans meant to keep Bayley and Mickie out.

It may not be Alicia Fox who deals out the shenanigans.

Paige is now heavily rumored to come back Monday and be placed in that 3-way match I mentioned. 

And if that happens and she wins, I'll be mad and not just because it means Bayley won't be on the team.  Paige has been off for 17 months now, due to injury and failing the WWE wellness program, TWICE. 

Make her start at the bottom, not jump right into a PPV.

1-Adam-12

A couple of "good nights" are in order:

Good night, Dana Brooke. Thanks for coming.

Good night, Jason Jordan. Thanks for coming.  Oh, by the way, you're not on the team anymore either.

Difference being, this may actually enhance Dana's standing (getting into a feud with Asuka), while I think that buried Jordan.  I mean "Thank you Bray!"  and the Na-Na-Na-Na song, followed by a pedigree by HHH?  That message got sent loud and clear.

Bayley got that 5th spot on the women's team, and no sign of Paige.

jbtiger73

She was actually in the arena. Heard Vince changed plans at the last minute. Vince wants her to debut after the survivor series, brand vs. brand storyline plays out. Which will be next Monday.

VHSCoach2

WWE released James Ellsworth today.

Truly the end of an era.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas