• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Update on the sanctioning of 8 Man from AAA

Started by jbtiger73, September 10, 2019, 04:58:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbtiger73

Just wondering were there any updates of any kind about the sanctioning of 8 Man from the AAA? I know I personally heard from someone, that more teams would definitely get involved if they just sanction it already. Teams are hesitant on joining, due to the "no playoff" rule that currently applies, due to it not being sanctioned. even some current basketball only schools want to get in on it, if they just go ahead and pass it. I know some teams may just go back to 11 man and try their luck there if something can't be done before spring. this could be a huge deal for Arkansas if this goes through. I'm really pulling for this. Any thoughts?

arkansasFBscoop

Quote from: jbtiger73 on September 10, 2019, 04:58:42 pm
Just wondering were there any updates of any kind about the sanctioning of 8 Man from the AAA? I know I personally heard from someone, that more teams would definitely get involved if they just sanction it already. Teams are hesitant on joining, due to the "no playoff" rule that currently applies, due to it not being sanctioned. even some current basketball only schools want to get in on it, if they just go ahead and pass it. I know some teams may just go back to 11 man and try their luck there if something can't be done before spring. this could be a huge deal for Arkansas if this goes through. I'm really pulling for this. Any thoughts?

AAA won't sanction until additional teams get involved, at least that is the precedent set by wrestling and other sports added in recent years.  Wrestling, IIRC, had to reach almost 40 schools before it was sanctioned.

Big issue with 8-man, as explained to me, is that some A basketball schools have shown interest but are unwilling to start unless AAA does something about basketball start date.  They don't want to have their basketball teams wait to start playing when their big rivals get to start in October.  Not easy to just "start", either.  Trinity Christian an example, they gave it a go this fall but have been forfeiting games because of low numbers.

Another issue facing 8-man, there is very little parity.  Brinkly an example - they've already played the three "next best" teams and have won by 26, 30 and 36.  Woodlawn example last year.

I really don't know if 8-man is going to work.  Will be interesting to watch unfold.

jbtiger73

I know in Brinkley, they're pressuring our A.D./Head Coach to go back to 11 man. But it hurts in the spring when you don't have enough to field a full team, when the decision has to be made. It's definitely tough for teams like Brinkley. We may be back in 11 man next season.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas