• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Travel Chat

Started by beach bum, August 21, 2015, 09:09:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RATTLER43

Quote from: beach bum on December 27, 2017, 05:16:37 pm
I am sure you will be on the road for something this summer when your schedule opens up that time of year. Hope you do get out for something yourself then. I enjoy hearing where everyone on here heads for their trips. It gives me ideas for the future.

Same.  Love getting great trip ideas from others' stories. 

WPWells

I'm visiting my girlfriend's family, so that's fun, but the two of us drove through some lake effect snow yesterday. That wasn't fun.

RATTLER43

Be careful out there. 

beach bum

Anyone here ever did the hike to the Whitaker Point overlook just south of Ponca near the Buffalo River? I am thinking that is a must do soon being an Arkansas native. I get every other weekend off so I am thinking the first weekend I am off and I see the temperatures in the 80's I may head out that way and hike that plus spend some time at the Buffalo. That has to be one of the prettiest parts of Arkansas definitely.

WPWells

Quote from: beach bum on April 10, 2018, 09:43:00 am
Anyone here ever did the hike to the Whitaker Point overlook just south of Ponca near the Buffalo River? I am thinking that is a must do soon being an Arkansas native. I get every other weekend off so I am thinking the first weekend I am off and I see the temperatures in the 80's I may head out that way and hike that plus spend some time at the Buffalo. That has to be one of the prettiest parts of Arkansas definitely.

It's beautiful

HorseFeathers

It's worth the trip, parking is limited though

Lumberjackfan1978

Just got home from 2 weeks in Destin the beaches were nice and the water was as pretty as I've seen in a while

Brian G

A few week ago

Atlanta- 4 Braves games at SunTrust Park. We go about every 2-3 years.  3rd different ballpark to see the Braves in ATL.
Nashville- Grand Ole Opry.  1st time there. I actually really enjoyed it
Lawrenceburg, KY- toured Wild Turkey distillery.  Really cool.
Lexington, KY- Night racing at Churchill Downs.  Loved it.

Memorial Day we did a quick hit to Boston and saw Braves play at Fenway.  First time for me to Boston.  While there the Eastern Conf finals Game 7 Cavs vs Celtics occurred and we splurged and overpaid for 2 rafter tickets.  Well worth it.

beach bum

Quote from: B.G. on July 21, 2018, 04:30:43 pm
A few week ago

Atlanta- 4 Braves games at SunTrust Park. We go about every 2-3 years.  3rd different ballpark to see the Braves in ATL.
Nashville- Grand Ole Opry.  1st time there. I actually really enjoyed it
Lawrenceburg, KY- toured Wild Turkey distillery.  Really cool.
Lexington, KY- Night racing at Churchill Downs.  Loved it.

Memorial Day we did a quick hit to Boston and saw Braves play at Fenway.  First time for me to Boston.  While there the Eastern Conf finals Game 7 Cavs vs Celtics occurred and we splurged and overpaid for 2 rafter tickets.  Well worth it.

Atlanta and Nashville are great cities..... And Lexington has a uniqueness to it that I enjoy the times I have traveled through. And the Boston part sounds like a sports lovers dream.

beach bum

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on July 21, 2018, 03:34:48 pm
Just got home from 2 weeks in Destin the beaches were nice and the water was as pretty as I've seen in a while

The beach sounds good right about now. I spent some time in Aspen about 2 weeks ago all the way down to northern New Mexico in the mountains. Lots of fires spread through out when I went. People are going wild in NW Arkansas about them finally putting a direct and cheap flight from XNA in Bentonville to Destin. I know some people who have already taken advantage.

beach bum

Headed to Albuquerque and Santa Fe, NM from Sunday through Friday of the coming week..... Hope all the rest of you fearless folks have safe travels and a great Christmas with family and friends.

Lumberjackfan1978

spending spring break in Destin.It was cool yesterday hi was only 53 and rain so the water was cold but better today the Hi is65 and the sun is shining.Hope everyone has a good spring break.

beach bum

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on March 17, 2019, 03:03:55 pm
spending spring break in Destin.It was cool yesterday hi was only 53 and rain so the water was cold but better today the Hi is65 and the sun is shining.Hope everyone has a good spring break.

Nothing like the old Emerald Coast.... Will never get tired of going there myself.

Lumberjackfan1978

Just got back from a week at Disney in Orlando it was fun but going to a different park every day gave me out. It was fun but with my MS the walking was tough on me but we had a great time with grand kids.

RATTLER43

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on July 20, 2019, 08:53:03 pm
Just got back from a week at Disney in Orlando it was fun but going to a different park every day gave me out. It was fun but with my MS the walking was tough on me but we had a great time with grand kids.

Took my kids there and did every park plus Universal way back when (9 days in Orlando area was great!). Just waiting on the grandkids to get older so we can return. 
Thank you.  You stirred lots of great memories by just mentioning it.   

RATTLER43

I know this is a quote from an older post, but, because of our experience this summer, I want to share.  We hiked that trail this summer along with a few others in the area.  The point is great but the waterfalls before it are spectacular if you time your hike after a good rain.  Loved each of the hikes.  Beautiful scenery once you reach it. Mostly just wooded areas for the first large percentage of the hikes.  If it is open, Lost Valley Trail is nice too.  Flooding in the past two years caused lots of damage so they were working on it this summer.  So many trails in that area.  Glory Hole is not too far away.  Just pick a few each spring, fall, or summer and enjoy.    But, be careful.  When we arrived at Whitaker Point (Hawksbill Crag) parking area, a life flight helicopter was arriving to haul out a man about my age who had fallen from one of the waterfall bluffs.   BE CAREFUL!!!!!! 

HorseFeathers

Lost Valley is open...been there twice this summer. Along with Glory Hole and a few other waterfall hikes. Haven't been to Hawksbill this year...but been there before, and I was a nervous wreck with my kids .

RATTLER43

I didn't know for sure.  They had a sign across part of the road and dump trucks were going in and out the two days I drove the area.  We just went to other trails instead those days. Glad it is good to go. One of my top 25 trails in Arkansas.   It just seems to build as you go.  After a nice rain is great in the spring.   And, yes, I understand the nervous part.  I taught my kids to respect but not fear such.  Then they made me nervous when they just followed what I had taught them!!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: RATTLER43 on July 22, 2019, 03:02:57 pm
I didn't know for sure.  They had a sign across part of the road and dump trucks were going in and out the two days I drove the area.  We just went to other trails instead those days. Glad it is good to go. One of my top 25 trails in Arkansas.   It just seems to build as you go.  After a nice rain is great in the spring.   And, yes, I understand the nervous part.  I taught my kids to respect but not fear such.  Then they made me nervous when they just followed what I had taught them!!

What's your top 25?

RATTLER43

July 22, 2019, 04:03:50 pm #269 Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 04:26:29 pm by RATTLER43
In no specific order:
On Magazine Mountain-
Dripping Springs
Brown Springs
Cameron Bluffs
Bear Hollow
East End group*
Twin Pools

On Petit Jean-
Bear Cave
Seven Hollows
Cedar Falls

Mt. Nebo-
Rim trail

Lost Valley
Glory Hole
Hawksbill Crag

A real nice surprise years ago included Pedestal Rocks and Kings Bluff. So, we make multiple return trips taking others with us.

Devils Den trail

Queen Wilhelmina and Talimena

Blanchard Springs trail

Hot Springs...

A trail on White Mtn.

I believe these are the ones my wife and I hiked in the past year. 

We hiked two down in the  Mena area. Can't remember the names. 

Not sure if I hit 25 on this list or if they are all my top 25, but enjoyed each.  Very scenic. 

RATTLER43

Dripping Springs is my favorite for multiple reasons. 

HorseFeathers

I've been to some of those ha...Usually stick to waterfalls as it keeps my girls interested(5,7 & 9)...Our first experience hiking was last November and I carried my 5 year old back out of the cedar falls trail at Petit Jean 😂

RATTLER43

I've been blessed and lucky.  My dad loved hiking and adventure (off reading in jeeps back in the day).  My wife loves most everything about hiking and the outdoors.  My daughters chose hiking and camping over most forms of recreation.   Made for marvelous times for this "trailblazer "!

RATTLER43

Quote from: HorseFeathers on July 22, 2019, 05:00:20 pm
I've been to some of those ha...Usually stick to waterfalls as it keeps my girls interested(5,7 & 9)...Our first experience hiking was last November and I carried my 5-year-old back out of the cedar falls trail at Petit Jean 😂

Paralleling the creek hauling a 5-year-old on your back is rough.  Carrying them out while climbing the "big hill" could be tough indeed.

alaskanstorm

Hawksbill is a must in the winter after a good snow has fallen.  It gives it an entirely different perspective.

RATTLER43

Never been when snow had fallen.  Added to my list now!  Thanks.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: alaskanstorm on July 24, 2019, 09:03:56 am
Hawksbill is a must in the winter after a good snow has fallen.  It gives it an entirely different perspective.

Just gonna go out on a limb and say this isn't a hike for the younguns 

alaskanstorm

July 24, 2019, 03:09:30 pm #277 Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 03:18:53 pm by alaskanstorm
Quote from: HorseFeathers on July 24, 2019, 01:12:06 pm
Just gonna go out on a limb and say this isn't a hike for the younguns 
I got lucky when we caught it.  Freak snow storm the night before right over that area wasn't forecasted.  I know the one trail hugs the cliff but another group came in on a different trail.  It looked to cute straight to the Craig through the woods from the parking area.  It would depend on how well your kids listen, on how far away I would let them get from you, on the Craig or cliffs if you go that way.  The drop off in some parts is a yard or less off the path.  The hike it self was pretty level.  We went to the glory hole the same day and it was all iced over.  Good times

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: RATTLER43 on July 22, 2019, 02:10:34 pm
Took my kids there and did every park plus Universal way back when (9 days in Orlando area was great!). Just waiting on the grandkids to get older so we can return. 
Thank you.  You stirred lots of great memories by just mentioning it.
We had a great time. Will probably go back in 2 or 3 years the grands loved it

RATTLER43

Good deal.  All about family. 

beach bum

Anyone ever been to Lake Superior? I am headed to the Minnesota north shore area a little north of Duluth, Minnesota. I had to cancel my trip up to the New York City area that I booked back in December as I am not allowed to travel there because of my job. I figured camping along the Minnesota north shore on Lake Superior would be a nice way of staying away from outside human contact during this time all while seeing some great views and some nice cool weather this time of year. There are some pretty spectacular cliffside views along Lake Superior I am looking forward to seeing for the first time and getting some great pictures of. Taking my tent and inexpensive gas will make for a quite cheap vacation.

Brian G

Was supposed to leave a week from Sunday for LA to see my Braves play vs Dodgers.  Of course, it ain't happening

beach bum

Quote from: B.G. on May 21, 2020, 06:09:58 pm
Was supposed to leave a week from Sunday for LA to see my Braves play vs Dodgers.  Of course, it ain't happening

Yep the west coast and the east coast are pretty much a no-go right now for almost everyone. Hope you got refunds or at least credits

AirWarren

Quote from: B.G. on May 21, 2020, 06:09:58 pm

Yup. We had to cancel our anniversary Navarre trip. Pretty disgusted.

Brian G

Quote from: beach bum on May 21, 2020, 09:01:20 pm
Yep the west coast and the east coast are pretty much a no-go right now for almost everyone. Hope you got refunds or at least credits
Airline full refund
Hotel full
Dodgers.....not yet

we go somewhere new every year to watch the  Braves.  This would be our first trip to LA. We went to SD 6 years ago.  That's my only trip to CAL.

VHSCoach2

Just remembered that this thread existed. Much like some of you, my wife and I had to cancel our plans this year. We were going to make a Pacific Northwest/southern British Columbia, Canada visit in July. We already has Airbnb's rented in Seattle, Vancouver, and Portland, along with plane tickets to get there, and train/bus tickets to travel between the cities.

We had all the restaurants picked out, and other things to enjoy. We were going to spend three days in Seattle, two in Vancouver (including seeing the Seattle Sounders vs. Vancouver Whitecaps, AW will appreciate that), and then three in Portland.

Of course, Seattle was the first hotspot when all this started.

Luckily, we got refunds on mostly everything. We paid for the plane tickets with credit card points, so we are out $45 for taxes and fees unless we use them by December of this year. The way things are going, it looks like we will be out that $45...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas