• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Confrence of 2a

Started by lionfan59, October 22, 2014, 04:15:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lionfan59

So reading another posters comment on a page, made me wonder.  Which conference does everyone think is the top conference, i.e. hardest to win week in and week out. 

I'm going with the 6-2a or the 7-2a.  I know a lot are going to say 8-2a will take it but like the other poster says.  Take away JC and think about the outcome of that conference. 

lionfan59

And Im sure some of you 5-2a guys are wondering why I did not pick us, but the reason why is a lot of the games we have played were sloppy.  Some of the losses should have not happen, and some of the blow outs should have not happen. 

Dragon I

The winning percentage numbers since 2006 were posted somewhere on this board in the off season.  No conference comes close to the 8 with JC, Bearden, Rison, and Strong.  Yall keep look at the bad teams.  It's 2A, every conference sucks at the bottom.  The 8 just has farther to fall before the sucking begins.

cuz

October 22, 2014, 05:28:57 pm #3 Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:05:32 pm by cuz
Quote from: lionfan59 on October 22, 2014, 04:15:25 pm
So reading another posters comment on a page, made me wonder.  Which conference does everyone think is the top conference, i.e. hardest to win week in and week out. 

I'm going with the 6-2a or the 7-2a.  I know a lot are going to say 8-2a will take it but like the other poster says.  Take away JC and think about the outcome of that conference.
I would have to disagree as no conference has played in the finals as much as the 8-2a. The 6-2a has traditionally 3 rival teams in it DA, Hazen and Carlisle. The difference is no state title has come from the 6-2a...

HorseFeathers

October 22, 2014, 06:13:49 pm #4 Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:15:53 pm by HF
cuz if your going to measure it that way then....take away j.c and how many appearances does everyone else have? The 4-2a has as many state titles and maybe half as many finals appearances since 06 as the rest of your conference does 8)........

LCC

THA TRUTH

Quote from: HF on October 22, 2014, 06:13:49 pm
cuz if your going to measure it that way then....take away j.c and how many appearances does everyone else have? The 4-2a has as many state titles and maybe half as many finals appearances since 06 as the rest of your conference does 8)........

Bearden 3 times and two time champion if not for jc and strong State title but also if u take away jc and give bearden their playoffs then u never know what happens it's all what ifs except for the fact that since 06 3 teams from the 8 have been to state and have won 5 title since then but let's break it down
06 jc
07 bearden
08 jc
09 jc and bearden
10 magazine
11 strong
12 jc and bearden
13 jc
14 jc and could be bearden or rison

godgiven999

From top to bottom with all teams being a factor for a conference title regularly I beleive the 7 is the toughest, Gurdon, MS Dierks LC, Horatio and the Murphs. Forman is your really the only team that hasn't had consistent success and they have a good year every once and a while. The 8 is really usually a 2 horse race with Rison or strong having a good team every once in a while.

THA TRUTH

When was the last time a team that wasn't mineral dierks or gurdon won that conference

HorseFeathers

As far as outright...

Murfreesboro last outright title---1996
Lafayette Co---1988 between history of two schools..
Foreman---1987
Mount Ida--2007----The last time someone other than Dierks/Gurdon or Mineral won the 7

cuz

October 22, 2014, 07:32:41 pm #10 Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:44:25 pm by cuz
Quote from: THA TRUTH on October 22, 2014, 06:49:07 pm
Quote from: HF on October 22, 2014, 06:13:49 pm

Bearden 3 times and two time champion if not for jc and strong State title but also if u take away jc and give bearden their playoffs then u never know what happens it's all what ifs except for the fact that since 06 3 teams from the 8 have been to state and have won 5 title since then but let's break it down
06 jc
07 bearden
08 jc
09 jc and bearden
10 magazine
11 strong
12 jc and bearden
13 jc
14 jc and could be bearden or rison
Looks like from 06-13 8 years, the 8-2a would of played in 4 games at WMS winning 3 of them. In 06 it was JC and Jesseville, don't know what conference Jesseville was in. In 07 Bearden and Mt Ida, latter in the 7.  In in 08 JC and DA, latter in the 6. In 10 it was Danville-Magazine, from the 4. In 11 Strong-Carlisle, latter in the 6. In 13 JC-DA, latter in the 6. So I guess it was 2 from the 4-2a, 3 from the 6-2a and 1 from the 7-2a, 4 from the 8-2a since you don't want to count JC. Does that look about right???

Wonderdog

This years hermitage, hampton, strong and PC would all have very realistic shots at getting a playoff spot in any of the other 2A conferences. The only 2 teams that are down historically in the 8-2A are bearden and strong. Every other team is better than usual.

green-eagle

Gentlemen, it seems everyone is talking state titles and that is good, but lets talk actually teams that made it to the semifinals....
2013 it was JC/ Carlisle. And DA/ Bearden
2012 it was......can some complete this

Then you will notice a pattern of 2A-8 teams and 2A-6 teams with a little of 7s and occur 4 and no 3s.....

cuz

Quote from: green-eagle on October 22, 2014, 07:53:41 pm
Gentlemen, it seems everyone is talking state titles and that is good, but lets talk actually teams that made it to the semifinals....

Then you will notice a pattern of 2A-8 teams and 2A-6 teams with a little of 7s and occur 4 and no 3s.....
2012  JC-Bearden
2011 Strong-Carlisle
2010 Danvill-Magazine
2009 JC-Bearden
2008 JC-DA
2007 Bearden-Mt Ida
2006 JC-Jesseville

Blue

Quote from: godgiven999 on October 22, 2014, 07:22:55 pm
From top to bottom with all teams being a factor for a conference title regularly I beleive the 7 is the toughest, Gurdon, MS Dierks LC, Horatio and the Murphs. Forman is your really the only team that hasn't had consistent success and they have a good year every once and a while. The 8 is really usually a 2 horse race with Rison or strong having a good team every once in a while.

Its been a while since Horatio has been in the 7aa race. Gurdon, Mt Ida, Dierks have dominated the leagie the last decade. Top to bottom the 7 is not close to the 8 I don't remember what seed Strong was last year as they sent us packing

HorseFeathers

October 22, 2014, 08:04:55 pm #15 Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:12:12 pm by HF

2013--J.C/Carlisle....Des Arc/Bearden
2012--Bearden/Mineral Springs....Junction City/Walnut Ridge...
2011--J.C/Strong......Carlisle/EPC
2010--Magazine/Magnet Cove....Bearden/Danville
2009--J.C/Magazine.......Bearden/Spring Hill
2008--Bearden/Des Arc....J.C/Carlisle
2007--Mt Ida/Carlisle....Bearden/Earle
2006--J.C/Cross County....Jessieville/Bearden

Bearden has more semi-final appearances than Junction City does since 2006....They might be more snake bit than Carlisle...But the Bison have had that monkey on their back for a lot longer..

cuz

October 22, 2014, 08:28:59 pm #16 Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:36:35 pm by cuz
Quote from: HF on October 22, 2014, 08:04:55 pm

2013--J.C/Carlisle....Des Arc/Bearden
2012--Bearden/Mineral Springs....Junction City/Walnut Ridge...
2011--J.C/Strong......Carlisle/EPC
2010--Magazine/Magnet Cove....Bearden/Danville
2009--J.C/Magazine.......Bearden/Spring Hill
2008--Bearden/Des Arc....J.C/Carlisle
2007--Mt Ida/Carlisle....Bearden/Earle
2006--J.C/Cross County....Jessieville/Bearden

Bearden has more semi-final appearances than Junction City does since 2006....They might be more snake bit than Carlisle...But the Bison have had that monkey on their back for a lot longer..
I think that's one reason Bearden gets the respect in the polls the way they do. I don't know but HF probably does if that has a bearing with the power rating ......

bigworm

It aint even close. The 8. Im thinkn strong was the 4 seed from the 8 and just dominated at the title game. Not certain they were the 4. Correct me if im wrong. But either way id say the 8 is far and away the tuffest.

The_Devil_Himself

The 8 is certainly the best at the top.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bigworm on October 22, 2014, 08:38:27 pm
It aint even close. The 8. Im thinkn strong was the 4 seed from the 8 and just dominated at the title game. Not certain they were the 4. Correct me if im wrong. But either way id say the 8 is far and away the tuffest.

I was thinking 3 seed....Kenneth Dixon dominated that game. A legitimate D1 Power Back at the 2A level is a huge difference maker....I watched them at Magazine the year the Rattlers won it all...Kenneth Dixon put the team on his back and almost brought them all the way back in the 2nd half of what looked to be a blow out game...

Ventman

Take Dixon out of that title game and Carlisle wins. If Ricks doesn't blow his ACL and Carlosle has an excellent chance to beat Junction last year. Dixon was there and Ricks got hurt. Until someone takes the crown the 8 is the best.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Ventman on October 22, 2014, 08:54:44 pm
Take Dixon out of that title game and Carlisle wins. If Ricks doesn't blow his ACL and Carlosle has an excellent chance to beat Junction last year. Dixon was there and Ricks got hurt. Until someone takes the crown the 8 is the best.

And if des arc scores 61last year they may have won. Lol

cuz

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on October 22, 2014, 08:58:44 pm

Theres that nasty little word "iF", it sure gets in the way of a lot of wins.....lol

HorseFeathers

If Hector could have convinced carpenter to forfeit after the opening game last year, then we would have beaten the mighty dragons :D

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: cuz on October 22, 2014, 09:05:44 pm

Theres that nasty little word "iF", it sure gets in the way of a lot of wins.....lol

And Bearden is saying, IF des arc would have given up home field advantage last year it could have been an all 8 final. Such a big word for only 2 letters.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on October 22, 2014, 09:10:07 pm

And Bearden is saying, IF des arc would have given up home field advantage last year it could have been an all 8 final. Such a big word for only 2 letters.

NA...history repeats itself, last year's semi's and finals proved that...well sort of the finals sure as heck didn't lol

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: HF on October 22, 2014, 09:16:01 pm
Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on October 22, 2014, 09:10:07 pm

NA...history repeats itself, last year's semi's and finals proved that...well sort of the finals sure as heck didn't lol

2 or 60, the results are the same, we got the runner-up trophy both times. To me, the '08 game was a lot harder to deal with, cause we could / should have won that game.

Ventman

Could have should have but you didn't. Until  a conference has the trophy that's not from the 8 , they are #1.

bleudog

cuz

green-eagle

bleudog

October 22, 2014, 10:30:49 pm #31 Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:07:24 pm by bleudog
They're just numbers. :-)

LaLaLand averages all team's power ratings in a district. All 2A conferences have a team or two that, from a performance point of view, could consider whether they should even field teams. The question then becomes how strong are the top three or so in the distict.

Wilson

People keep saying that the 8 is just JC. .do people forget that Bearden could have easily beaten JC in "both" state title games they played. . if they had the 8 would still have the same number of state titles since 03 . .the district may seem top heavy with most of the weight being JC but all the semi appearances by others in the district plus all of Beardens title game appearances.  strongs title. . and Rison now in the district. . .history says the 8 is best. . granted Bearden and Rison had bad losses to JC this year. .but that can be misleading . . especially if it turns out JC is just head and shoulders better than all of 2A. .which is yet to be determined

THA TRUTH

No thats already been determined

Wilson

I understand your gungho and all Truth. . but no.   it hasn't.  .maybe in your mind. . but you can bet your a** Coach Carpenter doesn't feel that way. .and he won't allow the players to feel that way. . .anybody can be beaten . .even this years JC team. . the 03 team could have easily lost to Rison in the semis because of players feeling that way.   if not for a Koby McKinnon TD return in the 4th quarter that game could have gone either way. . Rison upset Shiloh in the state title game when Shilohs team at that time was considered the most dominate teams in AA history . . nobody thought Shiloh had a chance to lose that game with Lashlee at QB and Mahlzan the HC. . . .another example is the 03 Oklahoma Sooners. . called the best college football team ever. . until they lost the big 12 title game to Kansas State and LSU in the sugar bowl. .anybody can be beaten.   and until the title game is over and JC is handed the trophy .  not a d**n thing has been determined . . being a confident fan is one thing.  . .but acting the way you do on here makes even JC people dislike you.  .try and tone down your total lack of respect for everyone. . .I've heard Coach Carpenter say show respect for all your opponents . . cause if you disrespect them your doing nothing but disrepecting yourself and your teammates . . i figure you heard it from him too. . .its getting to be pretty obvious that you either didn't care enough to listen to what the man was saying or just didn't give a d**n . .either way all you do on here is make people all over the state hate and despise the community and the players. . .and as classy a man as Coach Carpenter is.   he and his players deserve better than to have you and your lack of respect be a statewide ambassador for them

bleudog

October 23, 2014, 12:04:28 am #35 Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:13:36 am by bleudog
W, another example was '08. A heavily favored Dragon team goes into WMS and gets all they can handle from Des Arc. I don't remember all the details, but if that game is played over 10 times from the point DA went for it on 4th down late in the game, DA probably wins 8 times. The end of that game was a perfect series of events for JC to get the win.

Nothing can be taken for granted when the outcome depends on the performances of 15-18 year old boys.

THA TRUTH

The competition gap is a lot greater these days I guess y'all don't see that back in those days teams were atleast comparable that's not true these days but either way at the end of the year when it's proven as jc mercy rules everyone I'll just let y'all know I was right haha this is just another case of people taking a high school board way to seriously

THA TRUTH

This jc team will dominate just like the 05 Springdale team but it's not that they are the greatest team every assembled it's because the competition is way down

cuz

Quote from: bleudog on October 23, 2014, 12:04:28 am
W, another example was '08. A heavily favored Dragon team goes into WMS and gets all they can handle from Des Arc. I don't remember all the details, but if that game is played over 10 times from the point DA went for it on 4th down late in the game, DA probably wins 8 times. The end of that game was a perfect series of events for JC to get the win.

Nothing can be taken for granted when the outcome depends on the performances of 15-18 year old boys.
I think when Strong won it, was a prime example of the big head getting in the way. JC beat strong handily in the regular season and shut Kenneth Dixon down, but over confidence caused the loss to Strong in the semi's. It could of easily been to someone else other than Strong also......

THA TRUTH

That and having Dixon at qb changed that season around for strong

lionfan59

Football55

October 23, 2014, 06:56:07 pm #41 Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 06:58:58 pm by Football55

Oh man, I was at that game. Sitting with Des Arc, they have the lead by 2, final seconds ticking away, JC has no timeouts, JC rushes the fieldgoal unit onto the field, the ball is snapped but the kicker wasn't paying attention, he turns and sees that the ball is in the ready, kicker takes one step and kicks the ball as the clock strikes zero, and its good!

I, in pure shock, let out a very loud "Ha!" right after JC made the 3. I made this sound because it was a perfect ending to a VERY great game. I love defensive games. I was not happy that DA lost and sincerely wish it had been the other way around but it was so beautiful. I would have no regrets if it were not for the fact that I was standing in a field of green.  :o

dragondad

Quote from: Football55 on October 23, 2014, 06:56:07 pm

Oh man, I was at that game. Sitting with Des Arc, they have the lead by 2, final seconds ticking away, JC has no timeouts, JC rushes the fieldgoal unit onto the field, the ball is snapped but the kicker wasn't paying attention, he turns and sees that the ball is in the ready, kicker takes one step and kicks the ball as the clock strikes zero, and its good!

I, in pure shock, let out a very loud "Ha!" right after JC made the 3. I made this sound because it was a perfect ending to a VERY great game. I love defensive games. I was not happy that DA lost and sincerely wish it had been the other way around but it was so beautiful. I would have no regrets if it were not for the fact that I was standing in a field of green.  :o

Two state titles won by one point in the last second. I still get chills when I watch the '12 finish. Love our Dragons!!!

THA TRUTH

10-8 27-26 don't get much better

DragonBorn

True Fan

As much as the op likes and wants to understand football, y'all need to find him a place in la so he'll have a team that can back up his ridiculous posts. ;D

cuz

Quote from: True Fan on October 23, 2014, 09:30:04 pm
As much as the op likes and wants to understand football, y'all need to find him a place in la so he'll have a team that can back up his ridiculous posts. ;D
All full sorry....... ;D

brotherdew

Quote from: lionfan59 on October 22, 2014, 04:15:25 pm

It seems the post should have asked two questions. Which is the top conference and which is the most competitive.

I think hands down the 8-2A is the top.conference due to their playoff performance.
even if you take JC out they would be one of the most competitive amongst themselves with 2 or 3 teams battling for playoff positions every year.
7-2A has been competitive within their conference.  Bottom line is there are 3 teams in week 8 tied for first place. That sounds pretty competitive.
I cant speak for any of the other conference with much authority but I do think 7-2A is a very competitive conference from year to year.

True Fan

Two mules fighting over a carrot is competitive, but nobody cares who wins.

2A-8

bigworm

Quote from: True Fan on October 24, 2014, 11:33:12 am
Two mules fighting over a carrot is competitive, but nobody cares who wins.

2A-8

i bet them mules do, lol! good one, True.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas