• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hooties Week 8

Started by bleudog, October 20, 2014, 08:03:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GusBrown

Quote from: Dragon I on October 22, 2014, 11:28:47 am
I think the probability of such a situation unfolding is not likely, but it is possible.

You do realize Hector has beaten teams with a winning record.  LC struggled with the worst team in our league, and are now about to play for the conference title.  Think about that.
Miss St. struggled with UAB and then beat Auburn handily. Think about that.

Dragon I

MSU plays in the toughest division, in the toughest conference in college football.  They have had, and will have plenty of opportunities to prove themselves.  Let's not pretend that the 7-2A is the SEC West.

GusBrown

Quote from: Dragon I on October 22, 2014, 11:37:56 am
MSU plays in the toughest division, in the toughest conference in college football.  They have had, and will have plenty of opportunities to prove themselves.  Let's not pretend that the 7-2A is the SEC West.
Is UAB in the SEC West? I wasn't refereing to conference affiliation at all. I was referring to not playing well and still winning. Gurdon will have plenty of chances to prove themselves though, starting this week. Not saying Gurdon will run the table but up to this point they should be at least in the top 10 of 2A. Get real

Dragon I

They had chances and failed.  That's why they were left out of the top ten.  You just proved my point.

GusBrown

Quote from: Dragon I on October 22, 2014, 12:01:23 pm
They had chances and failed.  That's why they were left out of the top ten.  You just proved my point.
Opening the season vs 2 top 5 3A schools after losing a 3 time all state QB, head coach, and implementing a brand new offense. They played 2 games, got some very meaningful snaps as far as expierence goes and lost to bigger schools (haven't lost since then). They played Dierks, who was supposed to win the conference and blew them out 44-6. Now they play a 6-1 LC team on Friday. Gurdon had done what they needed to do to be at least a top 10 2A school.

GusBrown

And they are #4. Should be number 3. No way a team should not drop after losing by 40

LCC

Marshall is 7-0 and ranked 23rd. Just because you beat crappy teams doesn't mean you're good.

LCC

LC also beat Murfreesboro. A Murfreesboro team that beat Strong by 22 points. A Strong team that is competing for a playoff spot.

cuz

Quote from: LCC on October 22, 2014, 12:26:30 pm
LC also beat Murfreesboro. A Murfreesboro team that beat Strong by 22 points. A Strong team that is competing for a playoff spot.
Strong will not make the play-offs............

GusBrown

October 22, 2014, 12:42:08 pm #59 Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 12:51:19 pm by GusBrown
And Gurdon beat that same Murfs team 40-12. Murfreesboro is tied for the last playoff seed in 7-2A.

LCC

Quote from: GusBrown on October 22, 2014, 12:42:08 pm
And Gurdon beat that same Murfs team 40-12. Murfreesboro is tied for the last playoff seed in 7-2A.
I realize this. Dragon said that LC struggled with Hermitage. Basically saying that LC is not good.  I'm saying that LC beat Murf, who beat Strong bad. Strong was competing for a playoff spot in the mighty 8-2A

Dragon I

You struggled with Hermitage.  Let that sink in.  You're not that good.

THA TRUTH

Strong has been out if playoffs for awhile idk where u get that they are fighting for a spot

lionfan59

Quote from: dragondad on October 20, 2014, 08:16:27 pm
How do they get Bearden remaining at #2??
I think that Rison should there in that spot at least they scored on JC.

footballfrenzy

Hermitage would go 1-6 in 7-2a this year and 0-7 in most years. Your Hermitage point has no validity. The 7 is the 2nd best conference in state and has been for about 5 years, only bc JC is in the 8. There is far more competition in the 7 bc there is more parity, so the argument COULD be made that the 7, from top to bottom, is better than the 8 regardless of who has beaten who. It's like a SEC and big12/pac12 argument. SEC is the best because of championships, but the sec in most years is extremely top heavy. So the argument COULD be made that the big/pac12 is a better conference bc parity and competition.

Dragon I

No conference since 2006 can compete with JC, Bearden, and Rison, and Strongs combined records.  That is depth, and the numbers prove it.  Just because your whole conference is mediocre, doesn't mean that it's good.

MarionBlueDevil

Quote from: jbtiger73 on October 21, 2014, 02:20:44 pm
yea, Brian. that kinda confused me too. about Hazen not even being in the super 6 in the Arkansas Democrat. but #3 in Hooten's. it almost seems like the ADG doesn't think too highly of our conference. now, I know I've been into it with some hazen fans on here before, but how can you beat a very athletic and talented Earle team. and dang near blow out a the same caliber 3A team in Osceola. and not even be in the top six according to the ADG? weather our league is down this year or not, you cant discredit that. but I guess according to everyone else on here, everyone on here is playing for state runner-up, so why should it matter, huh. JC is the "Beast Incarnate". (WWE reference)

Hazen is a great team. They'd get my vote for #2 in 2A. As far as I can tell, they have a great chance at finishing the regular season unbeaten.

footballfrenzy

Quote from: Dragon I on October 22, 2014, 04:17:26 pm
No conference since 2006 can compete with JC, Bearden, and Rison, and Strongs combined records.  That is depth, and the numbers prove it.  Just because your whole conference is mediocre, doesn't mean that it's good.
Of late Rison has been in 3a more than 2a, but even then what have they done? Lose to Bearden and JC and beat up on bottom feeders? Strongs irrelevance can not be described. One flash in the pan playoff run on the back of one player as a 3 or 4 seed does not make a team relevant. It's JC and Bearden in that conference and everyone else fighting for 3-5 seeds. In the 7 it can be literally Gurdon, Dierks, Mineral, Ida or even Springhill not just being good, but winning conference good. That's the argument that the 7 has. When JC comes back down from cloud 9, they will still be splitting 8 crowns, but there will never be a team(s) to rise up and snag the 8 crown bc of the lack of competition in that confetence. The 8 is better bc of JC and the championships they have compiled, much like the SEC.

cuz

Quote from: footballfrenzy on October 22, 2014, 05:51:19 pm
Of late Rison has been in 3a more than 2a, but even then what have they done? Lose to Bearden and JC and beat up on bottom feeders? Strongs irrelevance can not be described. One flash in the pan playoff run on the back of one player as a 3 or 4 seed does not make a team relevant. It's JC and Bearden in that conference and everyone else fighting for 3-5 seeds. In the 7 it can be literally Gurdon, Dierks, Mineral, Ida or even Springhill not just being good, but winning conference good. That's the argument that the 7 has. When JC comes back down from cloud 9, they will still be splitting 8 crowns, but there will never be a team(s) to rise up and snag the 8 crown bc of the lack of competition in that confetence. The 8 is better bc of JC and the championships they have compiled, much like the SEC.
The 8 will remain the toughest conference until some conference starts winning some state championships. It's not just because of JC because Bearden's been in the semi's more than any team in the last decade other than JC. You can say what you want but no one could of beat Bearden the two years they lost to JC for the championship other than JC. To be the toughest conference someone has to come in and challenge the 8 for the state championship and not just one year....

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: footballfrenzy on October 22, 2014, 04:03:48 pm
Hermitage would go 1-6 in 7-2a this year and 0-7 in most years. Your Hermitage point has no validity. The 7 is the 2nd best conference in state and has been for about 5 years, only bc JC is in the 8. There is far more competition in the 7 bc there is more parity, so the argument COULD be made that the 7, from top to bottom, is better than the 8 regardless of who has beaten who. It's like a SEC and big12/pac12 argument. SEC is the best because of championships, but the sec in most years is extremely top heavy. So the argument COULD be made that the big/pac12 is a better conference bc parity and competition.

How many teams from the 7 have made the title game in the last 8 years? Or heck how about just the final 4? I will say the 6 is the 2nd best behind j.c. i mean the 8. 😎

bdubyab60

Quote from: cuz on October 22, 2014, 06:04:37 pm
The 8 will remain the toughest conference until some conference starts winning some state championships. It's not just because of JC because Bearden's been in the semi's more than any team in the last decade other than JC. You can say what you want but no one could of beat Bearden the two years they lost to JC for the championship other than JC. To be the toughest conference someone has to come in and challenge the 8 for the state championship and not just one year....
You realize you are talking about 2 teams each time you talk about the 8 don't you. Yeah Strong made that run one year but most of the time the 3 through 5 seeds get ran right out of the playoffs like every other conference. Just about every conference is top heavy and the real difference is shown when top seeds face each other.

And only one team wins a state title. While the rest of the teams jump on those coat tas and say look how tough our conference is.

cuz

Quote from: bdubyab60 on October 22, 2014, 06:50:11 pm
Quote from: cuz on October 22, 2014, 06:04:37 pm
You realize you are talking about 2 teams each time you talk about the 8 don't you. Yeah Strong made that run one year but most of the time the 3 through 5 seeds get ran right out of the playoffs like every other conference. Just about every conference is top heavy and the real difference is shown when top seeds face each other.

And only one team wins a state title. While the rest of the teams jump on those coat tas and say look how tough our conference is.
Maybe so, but no other conference has with the consistency of the 8. Show me a conference that runs deep every year with more than two seeds.....Who wins out when the top seeds face each other, I'd say the 8..............

hornetfever

Last year all 5 teams from the 6-2A advanced to  second round. Des Arc in finals and Carlisle in semi's. I remember Carlisle playing JC a very good game too. This year Hazen is going to have a deep playoff run after we destroy our conference.

THA TRUTH

Not true strong is a tough out come playoff time pretty much every year and Woodlawn is the same some years my senior year 4 of the 8 teams left were from the 8 not many conferences can say they had four teams practicing at thanksgiving

BrianfromCarlisle

If Ricks isn't hurt, you have an all 6-2a final. 

cuz

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on October 22, 2014, 07:35:19 pm
If Ricks isn't hurt, you have an all 6-2a final.
There's that little word if.....It's a nasty little fella isn't it............ ;D

BrianfromCarlisle

You are sure right about that. Lol

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: THA TRUTH on October 22, 2014, 07:25:34 pm
Not true strong is a tough out come playoff time pretty much every year and Woodlawn is the same some years my senior year 4 of the 8 teams left were from the 8 not many conferences can say they had four teams practicing at thanksgiving

Strong was far from a tough out last year.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on October 22, 2014, 07:59:31 pm
Quote from: THA TRUTH on October 22, 2014, 07:25:34 pm

Strong was far from a tough out last year.

Outside of that one state title year....Strong is a .500 team in the playoffs...but then again a lot of programs wish they were at that point :D

Ric Flair

2010 thru 2014 Carlisle has a 9-4 playoff record. 2 Quarter Finals, 1 Semi-final and 1 Final. Lost to State Champs
Magazine, Strong and of course JC in 2013. Des Arc eliminated Strong and Bearden in 2013. Carlisle eliminated Rison. I think the Hazen/Des Arc winner has a good chance at a deep playoff run. The loser gets a 2 round trip to Junction City. I am more concerned with Harding and Henderson State out come my self. I think Junction City would win 3A and 4A State titles this year and everybody is playing for second. I think Des Arc has one of the best coaches
in 2A. He gets the most out of the talent he has. Hazen has the players to go deep in playoffs. I think Hazen will be too much for Des Arc this year. But a Des Arc upset would not surprise me. 3rd round and beyond is BIG BOY Football.

BrianfromCarlisle

I agree with all of that Nature Boy!  WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Ventman

Quote from: Ric Flair on October 22, 2014, 08:42:47 pm
2010 thru 2014 Carlisle has a 9-4 playoff record. 2 Quarter Finals, 1 Semi-final and 1 Final. Lost to State Champs
Magazine, Strong and of course JC in 2013. Des Arc eliminated Strong and Bearden in 2013. Carlisle eliminated Rison. I think the Hazen/Des Arc winner has a good chance at a deep playoff run. The loser gets a 2 round trip to Junction City. I am more concerned with Harding and Henderson State out come my self. I think Junction City would win 3A and 4A State titles this year and everybody is playing for second. I think Des Arc has one of the best coaches
in 2A. He gets the most out of the talent he has. Hazen has the players to go deep in playoffs. I think Hazen will be too much for Des Arc this year. But a Des Arc upset would not surprise me. 3rd round and beyond is BIG BOY Football.
i agree Ric, no team will get close to JC this year.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Ric Flair on October 22, 2014, 08:42:47 pm

Your forgetting that the monkey on Carlisle's back in the back has become more like a troop of gorillas...they have to be the unluckiest, program to consistently make it 3 rounds deep in the playoffs...

Ric Flair

LOL Brian, " To be the man, you gotta beat the man" and Junction City is the man right know. I am correcting my self before some SA does. 2010 thru 2013 Carlisle playoff record was 9-4. I put 2014. Hey Cuz I saw a former Dragon last Saturday night playing DL for OBU. Devin Ball and he is still a monster. You dragons are everywhere, lol.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Ric Flair on October 22, 2014, 08:54:26 pm
LOL Brian, " To be the man, you gotta beat the man" and Junction City is the man right know. I am correcting my self before some SA does. 2010 thru 2013 Carlisle playoff record was 9-4. I put 2014. Hey Cuz I saw a former Dragon last Saturday night playing DL for OBU. Devin Ball and he is still a monster. You dragons are everywhere, lol.

There was a former eagle on the offensive line, both he and ball played in the '08 title game.

cuz

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on October 22, 2014, 08:57:00 pm

There was a former eagle on the offensive line, both he and ball played in the '08 title game.
Shaquille Hunter is. Red-shirt  there also.....

Ric Flair

Lol HF, luck doesn't have anything to do with it. Quarter finals and beyond everybody is good. I wish we could've borrowed some of Hectors big lineman last year against Junction City. Looks like another Conference title for you guys. Have fun guys, things are heating up.

HorseFeathers

Missed these posts....So....
Quote from: LCC on October 22, 2014, 10:09:50 am
Quote from: Dragon I on October 21, 2014, 09:15:12 pm
Yes, because destroying bad teams proves how great the Go Devils are.  Gurdon lost to the only decent teams they played.  Quit crying.
And Hector?

3 Rounds Deep last year in the playoffs when nobody exactly expected to us win in the 1st round....Yes I'm suggesting that we're getting a little bit of respect for what we did in the playoffs last year.

Quote from: LCC on October 22, 2014, 10:09:50 am
Quote from: Dragon I on October 21, 2014, 09:15:12 pm
Yes, because destroying bad teams proves how great the Go Devils are.  Gurdon lost to the only decent teams they played.  Quit crying.
And Hector?

Thrashed every team in a bad conference(Okay Hackett is an average team, and from my understanding we lost some starters to injury against Union Christian, we aren't as deep as last year)

Quote from: Dragon I on October 22, 2014, 11:09:20 am
Hector has done what they had to do.  Gurdon hasn't.  Could Gurdon beat several of those teams?  Probably.  But they got handled easily by the only two decent teams they've played.  Why is that so hard to understand?  They have done absolutely nothing to deserve to be above any of those teams.  Hector is in Boise States position.  They beat the teams in front of them, and are probably a borderline top ten team, but at least they took care of business.

That's all you can ask of a team in our situation....I'm not close to the program so I don't know if we try to pick up tougher competition, but I imagine the Lamar's and Charleston's of the world probably laugh if we come calling for a game....

Quote from: GusBrown on October 22, 2014, 11:11:51 am
There is one team in 2A that would be undefeated with Gurdon's schedule (JC). Is that hard to understand? Gurdon is a top 5 team in 2A.

No No NO...Top 5 teams in 2A can go Toe to Toe with top 5 in 3A...you got taken to the woodshed by both teams you played...

Quote from: GusBrown on October 22, 2014, 11:15:16 am
Quote from: Dragon I on October 22, 2014, 11:12:48 am
Opinion does not equal fact.
What 2A school besides JC would beat Prescott, Smackover, and Glen Rose (all 3A) to start the season?

So....You lost by 70 points to these two schools, why are you arguing that to be ranked ahead of you they have to have beaten Prescott and Smackover? That's just not logical....Glen Rose is the laughing stock of 3A this year. After the antics at last years state title game, some might say Karma is a...well you know :D.

Quote from: LCC on October 22, 2014, 11:26:05 am
Quote from: Dragon I on October 22, 2014, 11:09:20 am
Hector has done what they had to do.  Gurdon hasn't.  Could Gurdon beat several of those teams?  Probably.  But they got handled easily by the only two decent teams they've played.  Why is that so hard to understand?  They have done absolutely nothing to deserve to be above any of those teams.  Hector is in Boise States position.  They beat the teams in front of them, and are probably a borderline top ten team, but at least they took care of business.
I guess we will see how good Hector is in the playoffs when they play someone with a winning record.

We'll play the 2 out of the toughest conference in 2A...that's a real good comparison to Gurdon who'll get the 5 seed from the 6, who might be the worst Carlisle team in 10 years, then the 3 seed from that conference, McCrory or maybe even the 4 seed from the 2A-4. To support a team that cried about playoff draws last year, you sure are quick to use the lets see how they do in the playoffs to determine their rankings aren't ya?

I think the probability of such a situation unfolding is not likely, but it is possible.

You do realize Hector has beaten teams with a winning record.  LC struggled with the worst team in our league, and are now about to play for the conference title.  Think about that.

Hackett has a winning record...

Quote from: GusBrown on October 22, 2014, 11:30:45 am

Miss St. struggled with UAB and then beat Auburn handily. Think about that.

And then UAB lost to UT-Martin what's your point? It's not unusual for an SEC team to go meh, it's a lowly C-USA team we just have to show up, and the C-USA school to get up and give the SEC school their best shot...Think about that..

Quote from: GusBrown on October 22, 2014, 12:07:34 pm
Quote from: Dragon I on October 22, 2014, 12:01:23 pm
Opening the season vs 2 top 5 3A schools after losing a 3 time all state QB, head coach, and implementing a brand new offense. They played 2 games, got some very meaningful snaps as far as expierence goes and lost to bigger schools (haven't lost since then). They played Dierks, who was supposed to win the conference and blew them out 44-6. Now they play a 6-1 LC team on Friday. Gurdon had done what they needed to do to be at least a top 10 2A school.

Dierks might be the biggest disappointment in 2A this year, they were ranked highly in the preseason, and have done next to nothing to show that they deserved the hype...They fall into the category of just winning games this year, not dominating like last year...

Quote from: Dragon I on October 22, 2014, 02:35:43 pm
You struggled with Hermitage.  Let that sink in.  You're not that good.
Quote from: footballfrenzy on October 22, 2014, 04:03:48 pm

You realize that you just made his point for him right?? Dragon I points out that you struggled with the team, that you claim might only win 1 game in your conference. Parity is a terrible thing to argue strength about. Especially coming off of a year where no team did anything in the playoffs reguardless of draw....

Ric Flair

Calhoun played a heck of a game Pick. And yes I saw Hunter on the OBU roster as well Cuz. GAC has several 2A kids on there  rosters. UAM has a kid from Strong.

Ric Flair

Wow this post above mine totally exhausted me, lol. I couldn't finish it! Have fun everybody I am out!
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Ric Flair on October 22, 2014, 09:21:21 pm
Wow this post above mine totally exhausted me, lol. I couldn't finish it! Have fun everybody I am out!
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Sorry lol....I got irritated again. Trying to stay objective instead of irrational these days..lol

FilmCrew

Mount Ida has one playing there as well...Josh Hall

I like all of the Kids that represent the 2A on the OBU team...I think Gurdon has one hanging out with the Purple Tigers.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

I think jalen holloway from des arc is on the obu team too.

Ric Flair

I just checked the program and he wasn't on it. I think Coach P told me last spring he was going to UAM.
Kirkpatrick from Gurdon is a WR for OBU. Bo is redshirting at Harding and Big Cat Ricks is joining Arkansas Tech football team in January. 75% of most teams rosters are out of state. A ton from Texas.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Ric Flair on October 22, 2014, 09:57:13 pm
I just checked the program and he wasn't on it. I think Coach P told me last spring he was going to UAM.
Kirkpatrick from Gurdon is a WR for OBU. Bo is redshirting at Harding and Big Cat Ricks is joining Arkansas Tech football team in January. 75% of most teams rosters are out of state. A ton from Texas.

Yea That's where he went.

THA TRUTH

Quote from: cuz on October 22, 2014, 09:02:37 pm

Shaq is a starting cornerback for obu

BigLion10

Pick Holloway is at uam I have a class with him don't think he's playing football though

cuz

October 23, 2014, 07:53:25 am #97 Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:55:06 am by cuz
Quote from: THA TRUTH on October 22, 2014, 10:25:18 pm
Quote from: cuz on October 22, 2014, 09:02:37 pm

Shaq is a starting cornerback for obu
http://www.obutigers.com/cumestats.aspx?path=football&year=2014
http://www.obutigers.com/roster.aspx?path=football

THA TRUTH

His redshirt carried with him from arkansas

02cat

Quote from: LCC on October 22, 2014, 10:47:37 am
Quote from: Dragon I on October 22, 2014, 10:17:06 am
Hector has lost this year?
No...They've beaten terrible teams. Two of them have winning records. The other 5 have went 7-24.
Gurdon lost to two teams in top of 3A. Gurdon would be undefeated with Hectors schedule. Heck, Mineral Springs would be undefeated with Hector's schedule.
And Gurdon has beat who, Dierks is about it. The teams y'all have beat are 10-23. That's about the same as Hector. Not saying we are better than anyone else or that we should be in the Top 5 but at least we are 7-0 and done what was needed to get a win. Will we beat the 2a-8? Should have a great shot. We have a good team, if we go out in th 2nd rd at least we can say we have been put out by a eventual state champ (JC last year) and a Top 5 team this year. With only 2 losses last year and none so far this year we deserve some respect.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas