• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Teams you miss seeing because the school is closed

Started by lorettalynn, October 23, 2014, 03:14:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lorettalynn

Googlymoogly

PuddlePirate12

Stephens. Even though they have only been closed a year. They were Emerson's biggest rival

WPWells

PuddlePirate12

WPWells

I remember hearing about them all the time as a boys basketball powerhouse

PuddlePirate12

Yeah they always were. Most the boys went to Nevada and I'm sure some went to Camden-Fairview

WPWells

With that in mind, how is Nevada supposed to be this year?

PuddlePirate12

I don't know... I haven't seen them play yet. I heard atleast 3 of their starters were from Stephens though. I imagine it will be a battle between them and Emerson for conference. If Emerson really is a top 5 team I expect Nevada to be top 10 if not top 5 as well

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

One of my earliest basketball memories as a little kid was watching Saratoga play at Van-Cove in maybe a district or regional tournament.  Saratoga had the leading scorer in the state...I believe his last name was McDonald  (would have been late 80's). 

Most of my aunts and uncles and subsequently, my cousins, went to Van-Cove which is now Cossatot River (Van-Cove and Wickes) I assume most of those Saratoga kids go to Nashville?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Harrison on October 23, 2014, 09:24:45 pm
One of my earliest basketball memories as a little kid was watching Saratoga play at Van-Cove in maybe a district or regional tournament.  Saratoga had the leading scorer in the state...I believe his last name was McDonald  (would have been late 80's). 

Most of my aunts and uncles and subsequently, my cousins, went to Van-Cove which is now Cossatot River (Van-Cove and Wickes) I assume most of those Saratoga kids go to Nashville?

Saratoga consolidated with Mineral Springs(Saratoga is the only reason mineral springs stayed above 350 themselves..)

I miss the Van-Cove posters...they were a hoot

HorseFeathers

Quote from: D6Bound on October 23, 2014, 10:28:40 pm
Forshe Valley  :)

And Plainview-Rover...Got to watch them a couple of times in the Yell County Tournament

arstatechamp13

I've heard McNeil used to be tough. And Waldo back a longgggg time ago

HorseFeathers

Quote from: arstatechamp13 on October 23, 2014, 10:44:40 pm
I've heard McNeil used to be tough. And Waldo back a longgggg time ago

McNeil and Waldo played in the state finals round 10 years ago....May have been against each other at that.

Googlymoogly

Parkdale. They consolidated like 23 years ago. Always a powerhouse - boys and girls - in the then Class B. Parkdale boys even WON the Overall tournament in 1979

arstatechamp13

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on October 23, 2014, 06:10:07 pm
I remember hearing about them all the time as a boys basketball powerhouse

They split the school up with Camden and Magnolia. Some may have went to Nevada. They were always a beast in basketball.

sevenof400

Quote from: Googlymoogly on October 24, 2014, 01:11:07 am
Parkdale. They consolidated like 23 years ago. Always a powerhouse - boys and girls - in the then Class B. Parkdale boys even WON the Overall tournament in 1979

Are you referring to the tournament that UCA hosted for many years where the various class champions played in a single elimination tournament?

nightowl

Turrell Rockets

Crawfordville  Tigers. Two outstanding basketball teams

Googlymoogly

Quote from: sevenof400 on October 26, 2014, 09:42:27 am

Are you referring to the tournament that UCA hosted for many years where the various class champions played in a single elimination tournament?
That would be the one. Last one was in 1992. However, I like it better this way. When you win a state championship, you shouldn't have to end the season with a loss

D6Bound

Quote from: nightowl on October 26, 2014, 12:22:26 pm
Turrell Rockets

I missed watching Turrell. They were always good.

soloshot_7

sports_lover

I remember watching Fifty-Six play basketball.  What about Rural Special?  Is there still a school there?  Bruno-Pyatt was consolidated in the mid-70's.  Before the consolidation, it was the Pyatt Pirates and the Bruno Aggies.  I miss those days!

lorettalynn

Rural is still there Pyatt won state I think one year

lorettalynn

elvis26

Hogfan167

HorseFeathers

elvis26

:D I also miss harrisburgh central and delaplain!!!!!!!!

bleudog

lorettalynn

HorseFeathers

loretta your going back 40 years there....i'm betting that it didnt take much to get their old gym to rocking though...

lorettalynn

HF  I never went the snowball gym but seen them in the Searcy County Tournament Heard their gym was cold .Darrell Jones the coach at Deer was from Snowball

Missco

Missco...dell.tyronza..greenway..lafe..stanford.knobel.grubbs.swifton.

BoxNOne

I think the old Knobel gym had a green tile floor.

pootnscoot

Clover Bend, Poughkeepsie, Evening Shade, Swifton. Williford, Black Rock, Oak Ridge Central, Unfortunately, the list is long. I miss the  B schools and the gyms of old.

arstatechamp13

lorettalynn

NEA Razorback olfan

MarionBlueDevil

Quote from: nightowl on October 26, 2014, 12:22:26 pm
Turrell Rockets

Outstanding teams and outstanding traditions.

Batman44

You should be ashamed for leaving out Biggers-Reyno😄

Bulldog555

Way back- Altheimer, Wabbaseka, Humphrey, Gould, Grady, Delta, Desha Central, Vaster, Grapevine, Leola, Prattsville, Union, Thornton, Kingsland. Way, Way back- Wabbaseka-Walker, Sparkman-Training, Altheimer-Martin, Plum Bayou. 😢

The_Devil_Himself

Magnolia-Walker, Wabbaseka-Tucker, Gould, Delta, Desha Central, Prattsville, Union, Huttig, Parkdale, CV White, Holly Grove, McNeil, Waldo, Stephens, Bright Star, Saratoga, Rosston-Oak Grove, Cale, Saratoga, Van-Cove, Wickes, Kingsland, Carthage, Chidester.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: The_Devil_Himself on November 05, 2014, 12:11:47 pm
Magnolia-Walker, Wabbaseka-Tucker, Gould, Delta, Desha Central, Prattsville, Union, Huttig, Parkdale, CV White, Holly Grove, McNeil, Waldo, Stephens, Bright Star, Saratoga, Rosston-Oak Grove, Cale, Saratoga, Van-Cove, Wickes, Kingsland, Carthage, Chidester.
No love for lockesburg or Okolona?

Head Lion

Saw the game, when Ronald Claiborne went for 39 against Scott Horrell led Marmaduke Greyhounds. Horrell was a MCD All American and I believe Claiborne ended up at Lafayette. There were no 3 pointers and he was raining them from the parking lot at UCA.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: HF on November 05, 2014, 07:26:43 pm
Quote from: The_Devil_Himself on November 05, 2014, 12:11:47 pm
No love for lockesburg or Okolona?
My step-mother's brother went to Lockesburg around 92-93? when he moved from Vandervoort (Van-Cove) to live with my dad and step-mom.  He was about 5'7" and could jump out of the gym.  Saw him throw down some unbelievable dunks for anybody, much less a 5'7" white dude. 

birddawg1986

Turrell, Parkin, Crawfordsville. Back in the late 80s all the way until they closed the door these teams along with EPC, Marked Tree, Cross Co was one of the best basketball conferences around. I can remember when  they had regional at MT, and Crawfordsville # 4 seed beat top seed BIC when Bill Taylor son was a 10th grader. Same night Riverside (Maybe Buster best team got whooped by Turrell, and which MT & Turrell advanced. I seen the Parkdale  team also. We played them in a Christmas tournement back in 85 at Monticello (Boll Weevil Classic) and lost in the semifinals in OT. They were really good but lost to 2A state champ Dermott with Matt Matthews. We got 3rd place by smashing Wilmar.

BoxNOne

If it was Riverside team when Brooks Taylor was a sophomore, it wasn't close to being Buster's best.

bscinar

Weiner Cardinals and Black Rock Zebras - two schools shut down by a made up number.....

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas