• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Basketball 2017-2018

Started by BannerMountainMan, September 27, 2017, 11:35:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BannerMountainMan

We might win the National Championship by default!! Proud of Coach A for doing it right!

WPWells

bdubyab60

I agree MA is doing things the RIGHT way. He's always been a stand up guy no doubt.

But we aren't getting a title out of this. Gonna have to earn it. They have been after UNC for 10 years seems like and they are still going strong.

All this stuff going on helped us 0.005%

beach bum

September 27, 2017, 05:14:29 pm #3 Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 05:20:15 pm by beach bum
Thanks for starting the thread. I have been wanting to talk some upcoming hoops for the NBA and college. This team has the DNA that I think as long as they get a 6 or 7 seed only they will have the postseason experience to do damage. If they can get better than that kind of seed its just a plus in my book. Macon is a competitor and if Barford has a better shot from the outside this team might be even better than we think. He can finish great at the basket..............Is Mississippi State an Adidas school? If they are then mark my word they will later be caught up in this NCAA mess. They have been recruiting way out of their league.

beach bum

Just looked it up. They signed a 7 year deal with Adidas in 2014... Shortly after their recruiting has went bonkers. They are going down too. Just total speculation, but what if Reggie Perry ends up being in the whole mess? They would have ended up literally stealing one of our best recruits ever. Again, that is just total speculation of playing out what if scenarios.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: beach bum on September 27, 2017, 05:23:37 pm
Just looked it up. They signed a 7 year deal with Adidas in 2014... Shortly after their recruiting has went bonkers. They are going down too. Just total speculation, but what if Reggie Perry ends up being in the whole mess? They would have ended up literally stealing one of our best recruits ever. Again, that is just total speculation of playing out what if scenarios.
oh know doubt they are apart of it and right now Reggie's mom is doing all she can't by trying to hide it by using the "race" card on twitter. Also she has changed her story from "family issues" to "coach didn't give an in-home visit", which CMA can't until September, something is fishy.

Longfellow

Y'all actually care about recruiting integrity in college basketball?

beach bum

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on September 27, 2017, 05:36:04 pm
oh know doubt they are apart of it and right now Reggie's mom is doing all she can't by trying to hide it by using the "race" card on twitter. Also she has changed her story from "family issues" to "coach didn't give an in-home visit", which CMA can't until September, something is fishy.

Wow, I did not know that. They are in it for sure then. The FBI has a pretty good record when it comes to getting what they want lol.

beach bum

Quote from: Longfellow on September 27, 2017, 05:51:33 pm
Y'all actually care about recruiting integrity in college basketball?

Not really, I think the players deserve some more money for all the cash they bring into the school. I think the biggest part of this whole thing is the bribery part. That is why the FBI is involved and more than just an NCAA infraction. When NCAA infractions happen I usually say good job for the kid getting some money he technically has earned, but isn't allowed to get. I do think you bring up a point that we do need an overhaul in collegiate sports. We are the only nation that ties higher learning to big money athletics with the NCAA like it is. It's about time they start acting like what it really is and a business and not amateurism like they call it.

bdubyab60

Well the bad part with these guys taking bribes and paying kids is it hurts schools that would otherwise get that player, or at least have a real chance. Can't blame the kids for taking  the money though.

Bruce Pearl should be real nervous by what I'm hearing. It's not over for sure. A lot of these guys will cut deals and who knows what they are going to say

bdubyab60

As far as we go. Expectations are high for me. I do expect some growing pains initially but by the end of the year we should be a dangerous team, barring unforeseen events.

Longfellow

Quote from: beach bum on September 27, 2017, 06:07:33 pm
Not really, I think the players deserve some more money for all the cash they bring into the school. I think the biggest part of this whole thing is the bribery part. That is why the FBI is involved and more than just an NCAA infraction. When NCAA infractions happen I usually say good job for the kid getting some money he technically has earned, but isn't allowed to get. I do think you bring up a point that we do need an overhaul in collegiate sports. We are the only nation that ties higher learning to big money athletics with the NCAA like it is. It's about time they start acting like what it really is and a business and not amateurism like they call it.
I'm not hopping on the pay the players bandwagon, but I think the NCAA should turn a blind eye to players getting some money from shoe companies. Take the Emmanuel Mudiay case for example. #1 recruit, but his family was desperate for money, so he signed with a team in China. It's not hurting anyone and the big schools are gonna get those guys anyway

beach bum

I just saw where Khalil Garland has not been cleared to play this season.... Its not the biggest hit in the world, but he would have added some depth which is vital. I hope he is at least cleared by the spring semester. Hopefully it gets resolved all together.

Redwolves8526

beach bum

October 03, 2017, 01:22:51 pm #14 Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 01:25:37 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Redwolves8526 on October 03, 2017, 01:11:58 pm
What happened to Garland?

It is saying an undisclosed medical condition so I am hoping its nothing as serious like a heart condition they detected or something odd ball like that.... I would hate to see something like that happen to a kid. I hope we hear more by the end of the week about the exacts of the issue.

cuckoobird

If anyone thinks that nike isn't involved too, they're fools. Just wait a little bit

beach bum

October 05, 2017, 05:06:48 pm #16 Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 05:14:04 pm by beach bum
Quote from: cuckoobird on October 03, 2017, 06:33:15 pm
If anyone thinks that nike isn't involved too, they're fools. Just wait a little bit

I agree.... However Anderson will not be involved in the deal or any of his assistants. One complaint I have heard about him is he isn't brutal enough on the recruiting trail and since he got here Portis has been the only recruit where in high school we thought he had a pretty confident chance of playing in the NBA one day based upon his skill set we saw from him even as a high schooler. He was just a Little Rock kid who always wanted to play for Arkansas. We haven't exactly been recruiting guys at that level to be paid by a shoe company in high school. When a kid says they are looking at other schools or decommits MA doesn't really push that hard to keep them like he should. He is not one of these guys that will do anything to essentially steal a recruit who has already committed elsewhere or get them back if they decide they want to look around more. This whole scandal  won't involve him. He does not have that personality.

BannerMountainMan

I'll go with 10-3 OOC and 12-6 in conf which puts them at 22-9 which is probably the equivalent of last year because our schedule is a lot tougher and if we win a SEC tourney game or two we can get a 5 or 6 seed and make a run.

beach bum

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on October 06, 2017, 12:56:53 pm
I'll go with 10-3 OOC and 12-6 in conf which puts them at 22-9 which is probably the equivalent of last year because our schedule is a lot tougher and if we win a SEC tourney game or two we can get a 5 or 6 seed and make a run.

That is exactly in the range I see us which would be impressive considering the OOC schedule.... I'd max us out at 13-5 in the SEC with a possible 2nd place finish.

BannerMountainMan

Arkansas picked 6th in SEC right behind Missouri and does not have either Barford or Macon on 1st or 2nd team which is crazy, Mike Anderson has exceeded expectations every year since he started here! When will they get that!!

beach bum

First scrimmage tonight and one more next Friday before the following week it gets tipped off for real.... I'm headed out of town this weekend or I would go to tonight's scrimmage. I'll be there next Friday to get a look at the basketball Hogs. I have decided a realistic goal again is to get 3rd in the SEC with a 12-6 SEC record again which would be pretty impressive considering I think the SEC gets 7 teams in this coming year. If you look at the teams in the SEC there is going to be a log jam probably of teams in that 4th through 9th spots sitting between 9-9 and 11-7 in conference. I think if we get to 12 conference wins then that solidly gets us the 3 seed. I think Kentucky will be good but won't be their usual out of this world self. If we even exceed expectation of maybe get to 13-5 that may be able to get us 2nd in the SEC. I don't want to get to carried away, but I believe 12-6 again is tough, but realistic.

beach bum

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on October 18, 2017, 10:33:31 am
Arkansas picked 6th in SEC right behind Missouri and does not have either Barford or Macon on 1st or 2nd team which is crazy, Mike Anderson has exceeded expectations every year since he started here! When will they get that!!

People dog him sometimes but he is 54-36 in SEC play the last 5 years and never finished below .500 in SEC play in that 5 year span.... I really do not know what else you could ask for in general?

beach bum

Did anyone else see all the players we got to sign on the dotted line yesterday. Wasn't it 4 or even 5 players in the ESPN top 150. That is nuts.

Romeo

Signees:
Ethan Henderson F 6-8 185 4 star Natl rank: 120
Keyshawn Embery G 6-3 175 4 star Natl rank: 124
Reggie Chaney F 6-7 215 3 star Natl rank: 145
Isaiah Joe G 6-2 160 3 star Natl rank: 151
Jordan Phillips G 6-5 175 3 star Natl rank: 155
Desi Sills G 6-2 180 3 star Natl rank: 323

Rankings are from 247sports

beach bum

Quote from: Romeo on November 10, 2017, 04:24:05 pm
Signees:
Ethan Henderson F 6-8 185 4 star Natl rank: 120
Keyshawn Embery G 6-3 175 4 star Natl rank: 124
Reggie Chaney F 6-7 215 3 star Natl rank: 145
Isaiah Joe G 6-2 160 3 star Natl rank: 151
Jordan Phillips G 6-5 175 3 star Natl rank: 155

Desi Sills G 6-2 180 3 star Natl rank: 323

Rankings are from 247sports

Thank you for the listing! I really like that 100-150 range. Those are good players that ARE NOT one and done quality. Good, but not the elite of a class. I think a crop like that five you showed between 120-155 could be quite the class when all said and done.

bdubyab60

WPWells

beach bum

Quote from: WPWells on November 10, 2017, 05:58:18 pm
I can't wait to watch tonight!

We look AWESOME.... I know Samford is absolutely terrible but we have so many offensive options this year!! Even CJ Jones looks like a guy that will come off the bench and be our guy to get big 3 pointers for the second unit. Bailey looks like a stud against guys he is way more athletic than. And the obvious guys are great. Barford is not doing anything and we are still up by 28 at half. Macon is lights out right now.

WPWells

And on that note Barford explodes for 8 points in the first minute to start the second half.

This is Mike Anderson basketball. Smothering defense and then go on the run.

beach bum

Quote from: WPWells on November 10, 2017, 08:08:23 pm
And on that note Barford explodes for 8 points in the first minute to start the second half.

This is Mike Anderson basketball. Smothering defense and then go on the run.

It is now 70-27  :o

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on November 10, 2017, 07:48:57 pm
We look AWESOME.... I know Samford is absolutely terrible but we have so many offensive options this year!! Even CJ Jones looks like a guy that will come off the bench and be our guy to get big 3 pointers for the second unit. Bailey looks like a stud against guys he is way more athletic than. And the obvious guys are great. Barford is not doing anything and we are still up by 28 at half. Macon is lights out right now.

FWIW Samford is picked to win the Southern Conference

AirWarren

I am so ready for Hawg Ball. We looked good!

And those signees. Mike is about to take off I think. It's taken a while....and turmoil. But he is doing it right!

bdubyab60

I expect some growing pains with all the new faces. But liked like some shooters evolved over the offseason and that's a good thing. That's just from the highlights I got to watch.

Another trip to the tourney would sure ease the pain of watching this football we have been watching.

beach bum

Bucknell will be a really good test... They return all 13 scholarship players from a team that made an NCAA tourney appearance last year. If we come out lackluster or Bucknell is hot from 3 land this could be a much closer game than we think.

WPWells

bdubyab60

I think if we can avoid those headscratchers this year we should be ok

bdubyab60

Tell you what. We are super athletic. Get a little more inside scoring and who knows. Supposedly a tourney team there and we handled them pretty good

Romeo

The rest of the nation is sleeping on Arkansas, but this team is legit.

bdubyab60

I'm cautiously optimistic. A big step up in competition is soon to come

beach bum

Quote from: Romeo on November 12, 2017, 07:50:55 pm
The rest of the nation is sleeping on Arkansas, but this team is legit.

Yes sir!!

beach bum

November 12, 2017, 09:20:42 pm #40 Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 09:23:16 pm by beach bum
Quote from: bdubyab60 on November 12, 2017, 08:08:41 pm
I'm cautiously optimistic. A big step up in competition is soon to come

Oh yes.... I have set my eyes on the Minnesota game to catch one in person finally.... Hoping for a near sell out that night so the Gophers get flustered with the Bud Walton atmosphere.

beach bum

Quote from: WPWells on November 12, 2017, 05:49:14 pm
Well we look good again

I said to a buddy that I am not sure there will ever be a night that Macon and Barford are both having off nights. I just do not see that ever happening. And tonight they both carried the load at times. CJ Jones continues to prove he will be that outside shooter in the second unit to keep it steady. And I swear Gafford would score 20 a night if he just stayed out of foul trouble. He sure has a motor and knows how to find the basket.

BannerMountainMan

Throttled two really good mid major teams...heard a NCAA insider say this team is elite

beach bum

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on November 12, 2017, 09:26:48 pm
Throttled two really good mid major teams...heard a NCAA insider say this team is elite

I think what I like the most and I know you all are seeing too is we have a bunch of guys that are unselfish and MA has got to buy in on his system. I love seeing the bench go wild when they see a teammate going off. People forget that aspect of coaching and MA has it. You hear every analyst or talk show guy that knows the program and they all tell you MA creates a locker room dynamic that kids just want to be around and feel comfortable. Just think too we have three guys not even sniffing the court that would be second unit contributors and literally make us go 12 deep in games. Thomas and Cook are suspended and we may never need them. The freshman Garland is not even playing and would have added depth too. I am just enjoying seeing this unselfish brand of basketball and the hustle and them enjoying each others success.

bdubyab60

If we happen to get a player back, I hope it's Garland. I hear that is unlikely do to his health issue. Cook and Thomas both had their moments last year and we could use the fouls and size. Not sure why Thomas is out but Cook could be out for a while. MA has been firm on his suspensions.

We have one of the best guard combos in the nation so far. Macon and Barford are studs and were last year.

Cook and Thomas being out could be a blessing in disguise. A few very athletic players probably getting more minutes due to them being out.

Don't get me wrong. I liked Kingsley and loved Hannah's. But Kingsley was a liability offensively sometimes and at the line. Hannah's wasn't as athletic as players who are filling his spot now, better defensively and on the boards at this position now.

Gafford has a ton of potential. By the end of the year he could be farther along in development than Kingsley was as a senior. If he isn't already.

My worries. Gafford seems to get in foul trouble, it's early. Two games he will learn. Need him to. Be a stud in the paint.

If Barford or Macon is off. Will someone step up and take on some scoring. Think they are close to 50% of our offense.

If we aren't getting the pace up can we score. Kind of imposed our will these first two games.

beach bum

Getting to see those Hogs in person tonight against Fresno State.... I'm going to make my next one I go to Minnesota in a few weeks. I have had that one circled for a while.

beach bum

Got to witness the Daniel Gafford dunk show tonight.... He was unreal  :o

WPWells

So Arkansas plays poorly and still beats a really solid team. Cool

bdubyab60

Good to see that when we don't play our best we can still get the W

beach bum

Quote from: WPWells on November 18, 2017, 12:52:09 am
So Arkansas plays poorly and still beats a really solid team. Cool

It was quite a strange game.... We got it up to a 15-19 point lead most the 2nd half and then Fresno State could literally throw anything at the basket the last 4 to 5 minutes and cut it to a final tally of an 8 point win. I hope everyone on here gets the treat to watch Gafford in person like I did last night. He will not be here more than 2 years. He is not like Portis or Kingsley. He is wanting to destoy the rim every time. I have never seen a Hog big man quite his style.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas