• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 5A State Tournament Predictions Thread

Started by sevenof400, May 10, 2015, 03:25:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenof400

Just as has been the case in years past, let's start a prognostication thread for what might happen in Hope next week (weather permitting).  I'll leave the OP with just the bracket so others can quote it as a starting point for their guesses.

Disclaimer: the fourth seed in the East has already been decided but I am missing some game results at this time....

BOYS:
The games in the top half of the boys bracket will play at 12:00 pm (noon) Thursday, Friday and Saturday
C1: Pulaski Academy vs. E4: Wynne
S2: Hot Springs Lakeside vs. W3: Harrison

E1: Valley View vs. C4: Beebe
W2: Little Rock Christian vs. S3: Hot Springs

The games in the bottom half of the boys bracket will play at 4:00 pm Thursday, Friday and Saturday
W1 Maumelle vs. S4: Hope
E2: Batesville vs. C3: North Pulaski

S1: De Queen vs. W4: Vilonia
C2: Jacksonville vs. E3: Nettleton

GIRLS:
The games in the top half of the girls bracket will play at 10:00 am Thursday, Friday and Saturday
C1: Pulaski Academy vs. E4: Nettleton
S2: Hot Springs Lakeside vs. W3: Maumelle

W2: Harrison vs. S3: White Hall

The games in the bottom half of the girls bracket will play at 2:00 pm Thursday, Friday and Saturday
W1: Little Rock Christian vs. S4: Hot Springs
E2: Greene County Tech vs. C3: Sylvan Hills

S1: De Queen vs. W4: Greenbrier
C2: North Pulaski vs. E3: Batesville

sevenof400

May 10, 2015, 04:07:22 pm #1 Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 10:57:38 am by sevenof400
I'm going to do my predictions on a quad by quad basis.  Here we go:

BOYS: Quad 1
The games in the top half of the boys bracket will play at 12:00 pm (noon) Thursday, Friday and Saturday

Thoughts on this quad: Let's deal with the easy part first - last year's first round dismissal at the hands of Hot Springs Lakeside still has to be on the minds of Pulaski Academy.  One has to believe that PA has been building toward this state tournament all year.  However, the one concern for PA is how much has playing in one of the weaker overall conferences effected their development this season?  Certainly not enough to suspect a Wynne upset (or which team emerges as the 4th seed from the East). 

Last year, the depth of the South boys was likely the story of the tournament as three teams from the South made the semi finals (DeQueen, Hot Springs Lakeside and Hot Springs).  Is the South that good again?  At the same time, this is NOT the same Harrison team from last year - combine that with the fact that HS Lakeside will be playing close to home this time and this quad should be a #1 vs #2 matchup in round 2. 

I have NOT seen PA or HS Lakeside this year but this might be one of the better round 2 matchups.  I'm going with PA here.

BOYS: Quad 2

Thoughts on this quad: Kudos to first year program Beebe for making the state tournament but your prize is a matchup with a Valley View team that made the 4A semi finals last year in Valley View.  Interestingly enough, LR Christian finished 2nd to Maumelle - another 4A team last year that exited in the second round versus Berryville.  At any rate, Valley View over Beebe.

LR Christian (and the west) offer some uncertainty as well this year.  Just how good is the West?  Last year's conference champs (Greenbrier) did not make the playoffs this year, Harrison seems down this year, and a former 4A school (Maumelle) won the title over LR Christian (albeit in two tight contests).  However, even with all of that, there are as many questions on Hot Springs - the Trojans made a run to the semi finals last year (aided somewhat by a favorable draw) and a very vanilla 3-5 conference record doesn't exactly inspire considerable conference in the Trojans.   I'm picking LR Christian here.

I'm also thinking the weakness of the East will come back to haunt Valley View in the second round as LR Christian emerges from this quad.

The games in the bottom half of the boys bracket will play at 4:00 pm Thursday, Friday and Saturday
BOYS: Quad 3
Thoughts on this quad: I've written on Maumelle before click here and I see no reason to change that opinion now.  The only issue here is playing a 1st round game at Hope in front of the home fans.  Even so, I still see Maumelle emerging from this quad. 

Here comes the first upset of the boys tournament - I'm picking North Pulaski over Batesville because the Pioneers have had little success in the state tournament and I think the top 3 teams in the Central (PA, Jax, NP) are better than widely believed. 

BOYS: Quad 4
Thoughts on this quad: DeQueen to advance. 

I can't find any weakness in the defending champions armor and I don't think any of the other teams will either.  Depth is DeQueen's major asset and with a 4:00 pm playing slot for these rounds, DeQueen can deploy battalions at will. 

DeQueen over Jacksonville to advance from this quad.   

Boys Semi's:
Pulaski Academy - LR Christian
Maumelle - DeQueen

Boys Championship:
DeQueen over LR Christian

GIRLS:
It appears this is a three team tournament this year with Pulaski Academy, LR Christian, and Harrison far above the rest.  However, we have last year's 4A title game contestants crashing the 5A party this year in Maumelle and Valley View.  How far those two teams have come this year will determine how wide open this year's tournament will be.   

Looking at the overall bracket first, PA and Maumelle are in the same quad, Valley View and Harrison are in the same quad, while LR Christian may have the easiest quad of all - and their quad is on the other half of the bracket from the others in the five mentioned above.  Big advantage for LR Christian there..... 

GIRLS: Quad 1
The games in the top half of the girls bracket will play at 10:00 am Thursday, Friday and Saturday
Thoughts on this quad: PA should handle Nettleton easily and while some will point to HS Lakeside over Maumelle, I think the Lady Hornets will prevail here.  Maumelle will have had the advantage of four conference matchups with LR Christian and Harrison to draw on/from and I think this will give Maumelle the experience needed to advance. 

Pulaski Academy versus Maumelle might likely be the best matchup of the tournament.  PA has experience, but Maumelle has a large number of club players too and won't be intimidated by PA.  I want to pick an upset here but common sense just won't let me.  PA to advance.

GIRLS: Quad 2
Thoughts on this quad: Valley View and Harrison should easily advance so this consideration will too. 
I have not seen Valley View this year and while their reputation is built on success (2014 4A tournament champions), Harrison is the defending 5A State Champions. Why this matchup takes place so early in the bracket is sad (this really should be a semi final matchup) but it is what it is.  I'm going with Harrison here and wishing I could see this game and the previously mentioned PA vs Maumelle games. 

The games in the bottom half of the girls bracket will play at 2:00 pm Thursday, Friday and Saturday
GIRLS: Quad 3
Thoughts on this quad: LR Christian has been given the best draw of all and should easily advance from this quad.  Whether their 2nd round matchup is GCT or SH will matter little, but I think it will GCT serving as opposition to LR Christian.

GIRLS: Quad 4
Thoughts on this quad: Greenbrier to advance from this quad .... that is not a misprint.  I think the Lady Panthers will handle DeQueen and North Pulaski (although North Pulaski is definitely an improved team). 

Girls Semi's:
Pulaski Academy over Harrison
LR Christian over Greenbrier

Girls Championship:
LR Christian over Pulaski Academy

ninjafighter

Just food for thought.  Valley View did hand a loss to LRCA early in the year.  2-1

carteri

How would you rank overall girls and boys 1 thru 16?

ARSoccer25

May 11, 2015, 08:41:45 am #4 Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 08:48:17 am by ARSoccer25
All I know is Maumelle vs DeQueen will be a heck of a semifinal on the boys side.

Lionheart88

My thoughts (these are going to be short, I haven't seen many teams outside the south very much)

I think PA rolls here, but I know almost nothing about Wynne.

Oughta be a good game.  The Gobs are never an easy out, but Lakeside is probably sleeping in their own beds and has been to what, 3 semifinals in the last 4 years?  I'll take the Rams in a close one.

I know nothing about either of these teams, so I'll take the 1 seed who's got a bunch of boys who've been to the playoffs before.

Hot Springs was a semifinal team last year, but were inconsistent this year.  I'll take LRCA, but this could be an upset.  It depends on which HS team shows up.

Like Hot Springs, Hope was inconsistent.  The lost 2-1 to a ten man White Hall, giving the Bulldogs their only conference win this year, but they also beat Lakeside in a shootout.  I think home field will help them a lot, but I don't think it will be enough.  This one will be closer than people think, but still a Maumelle win.

I haven't seen either of these teams.  I'll throw NP a bone since this is one of the last teams they'll ever field.

DeQueen rolls and isn't even tired afterwards.

I haven't seen either of these teams.  From their results, Jax looks inconsistent; they handed PA their only conference loss, but also dropped one to LR Fair.  I'll take Jax here but I'm mostly guessing.

PA easy.

This ought to be an excellent game.  Lakeside has been down this year, so I think I'll take Maumelle.

Valley View playing Beebe in boys and girls.  Interesting.  Same result, I think.  VV over the Badgers.

I'm from White Hall.  I've coached most of these girls in rec leagues and such.  I want them to pull the upset here.  But I've got to go with my head over my heart.  White Hall has a solid defense and an excellent keeper, so I think it'll be relatively low-scoring, but the Lady Gobs take it.

LRCA rolls.

Sylvan Hills is down this year, or so I've heard, but I know they've got a very good coach, and I know nothing about GCT.  I'll take SHHS.

Greenbrier could take this.  I haven't been terribly impressed with DeQueen's girls, they only beat S3 White Hall 1-0 twice.  I haven't seen Greenbrier this year, but I saw them a couple of times last year and they were excellent.  I think I'm going with the Panthers over the Leopards here.

North P and Batesville again, huh?  I don't know either of these teams, but I'll take North P.

MDXPHD

PA, easily.

Lakeside in a close game.

VV by 3+

LRCA

Maumelle by less than 2.

Batesville will win this by 3. Sorry Seven and Lionheart, NP just isn't very good and Batesville can be a dangerous team.

DeQueen

Nettleton. I think these are the two weakest conferences, but I think the central is weaker.

Girls

PA easy.

Maumelle.

VV big.

Harrison by 5+

LRCA by 5+.

This can be a good game.  GCT is much better this year than the last several years, but the East is very weak (other than VV). SH wins by 1.

Greenbrier. West girls sweep the South.

This will be a close game, but I don't know who will win. I'll guess NP.

Go Postal

Let's look at last years 5A playoffs (remember for instance that LRCA and Vilonia weren't in the 5A West that year, plus other movement in the 5A conference at this cycle)...
5A CONFERENCE
Girls:Round One
1W: Harrison 6 4E: GCT 0
2C: LRCA 4 3S: DeQueen 0
4W: Morrilton 2 1E: Nettleton 1
3C: Sylvan Hills 1 2S: White Hall 0
1S: Hot Springs Lakeside 3 4C: North Pulaski 2
3W: Shiloh Christian 2 2E: Batesville 1
1C: Pulaski Academy 8 4S: Hope 0
2W: Greenbrier 2 3E: Vilonia 0

Girls:Quarterfinals
1W: Harrison 1 2C: LRCA 0
3C: Sylvan Hills 3 4W: Morrilton 0
3W: Shiloh Christian 1 1S: Hot Springs Lakeside 0
1C: Pulaski Academy 3 2W: Greenbrier 0

Girls:Semifinals
1W: Harrison 4 3C: Sylvan Hills 0
1C: Pulaski Academy 4 3W: Shiloh Christian 1

Girls:Championship
1W: Harrison 4 1C: Pulaski Academy 3

Boys:Round One
1W: Greenbrier 4 4E: Paragould 0
3S: Hot Springs Lakeside 3 2C: Pulaski Academy 1
1E: Vilonia 4 4W: Clarksville 3
2S: Hot Springs 3 3C: Sylvan Hills 0
1S: DeQueen 8 4C: North Pulaski 0
2E: Nettleton 2 3W: Huntsville 1
1C: LRCA 4  4S: White Hall 0
2W: Harrison 2 3E: Batesville 1

Boys:Quarterfinals
3S: Hot Springs Lakeside 3 1W: Greenbrier 0
2S: Hot Springs 5 1E: Vilonia 3
1S: DeQueen 6 2E: Nettleton 0
2W: Harrison 0(11) 1C: LRCA 0(10)

Boys:Semifinals
3S: Hot Springs Lakeside 2 2S: Hot Springs 1
1S: DeQueen 4 2W: Harrison 0

Boys:Championship
1S: DeQueen 4 3S: Hot Springs Lakeside 1

Then let's add in 4A teams from last year that are in the 5A playoffs this year...
4A CONFERENCE
Girls:Round One
1st 4: Episcopal 2 4th 1: Dardanelle 0
3rd 3: Conway St. Joseph 3 2nd 2: Mena 0
1st 1: Gentry 4 4th 4: Stuttgart 0
2nd 3: Maumelle 1 3rd 2: Arkadelphia 0
1st 3: Valley View 8 4th 2: Malvern 0
2nd 1: Berryville 7 3rd 4: eStem 1
1st 2: CAC 4 4th 3: Conway Christian 0
2nd 4: Warren 5 3rd 1: Bergman 3

Girls:Quarterfinals
3rd 3: Conway St. Joseph 2 1st 4: Episcopal 1
2nd 3: Maumelle 2 1st 1: Gentry 1
1st 3: Valley View 6 2nd 1: Berryville 0
1st 2: CAC 5 2nd 4: Warren 0

Girls:Semifinals
2nd 3: Maumelle 1 3rd 3: Conway St. Joseph 0
1st 3: Valley View 1 1st 2: CAC 0

Girls:Championship
1st 3: Valley View 4 2nd 3: Maumelle 1

Boys:Round One
4th 1: Green Forest 3 1st 4: Episcopal 2
2nd 2: Cossatot River 3 3rd 3: Batesville, Southside 1
1st 1: Subiaco 7 4th 4: Lakeside, Lake Village 0
2nd 3: Valley View 5 3rd 2: Malvern 0
1st 3: Maumelle 6 4th 2: Arkadelphia 0
2nd 1: Berryville 5 3rd 4: Warren 1
1st 2: CAC 4 4th 3: Crowley's Ridge 0
3rd 1: Danville 4 2nd 4: Hamburg 1

Boys:Quarterfinals
4th 1: Green Forest 3 2nd 2: Cossatot River 0
2nd 3: Valley View 2 1st 1: Subiaco 1
2nd 1: Berryville 1 1st 3: Maumelle 0
1st 2: CAC 6 3rd 1: Danville 1

Boys:Semifinals
4th 1: Green Forest 3 2nd 3: Valley View 1
1st 2: CAC 3 2nd 1: Berryville 2 OT

Boys:Championship
4th 1: Green Forest 4 1st 2: CAC 1

Then let's put in this years 1st round playoff teams brackets and their State Champs/State Runnerups record over the years since playing soccer in any conference...

GIRLS:
C1: Pulaski Academy (6 State Championships, 3 State Runner-ups, current State Runner-up) vs. E4: Nettleton
S2: Hot Springs Lakeside vs. W3: Maumelle (1 State Runner-up)

E1: Valley View (1 State Championship, 2 State Runner-ups) vs. C4: Beebe
W2: Harrison (4 State Championships, 2 State Runner-ups, current State Champ) vs. S3: White Hall

W1: Little Rock Christian (2 State Championships, 5 State Runner-ups) vs. S4: Hot Springs

BOYS:
C1: Pulaski Academy (3 State Championships, 2 State Runner-ups) vs. E4: Wynne
S2: Hot Springs Lakeside (4 State Runner-ups, current State runner-up) vs. W3: Harrison (6 State Championships, 1 State Runner-up)

E1: Valley View (1 State Championship) vs. C4: Beebe
W2: Little Rock Christian (3 State Championships, 1 State Runner-up) vs. S3: Hot Springs

W1 Maumelle vs. S4: Hope (1 State Runner-up)

S1: De Queen (5 State Championships, current State Champ) vs. W4: Vilonia

This above doesn't have the knock down, drag out that has happened in conference play or the Semis for any teams.  The above records are on file for final game and,
if you read all that I posted, this doesn't mean squat other than bragging rights.  Yes, some teams might have more experiance in the playoffs, but it is single elimination.  I would like to see some underdogs pull it out this cycle or at least give a fight to the uber teams.

Teams, one game at a time.  Play the best you can.  Have fun with teamwork, high school doesn't last forever.  Anything can happen, Heck I saw where our "old" 5A football town 6A Greenwood boys team got State Runner-up last year in soccer and that "our" old 6A Alma basketball/football teams might have a boys/girls soccer program when they come back to the 5A in the next cycle.  "Heck has officially frozen over."  Life is good. ;D

ALL that said above, as a Goblin Nation and 5A West fan, I think that the finals will be...
Boys:
DeQueen or any other school has the skill AND the stamina.
Girls:
Harrison or any private school.

Prove me wrong.  I welcome it.  There are some great teams out there.  Good Luck to all teams this playoff season!!!

(Side note:  Dang I wrote another novel for Arkansas 5A soccer history.)

chaoslord

If you've read this thread and thought about making your predictions but didn't feel like making an effort post, you can try your luck March Madness style here

5A Girls
5A Boys

VHSCoach2

Just thought I'd pass along the actual address to the soccer complex in Hope:

1665 Springhill Drive, Hope, AR 71801.

And if your team(s) is/are playing at the stadium at the high school, this address is:

1701 South Main Street, Hope, AR 71801.

Sir Alex

Fields are soaked, well except for the turf...  Any rain will make them unplayable.  Bring your rubber boots.  Two fields at the school are 60 wide at best...  Could not get to the park fields with out getting stuck in mud,  should be entertaining tomorrow.   

Intelligentsia

Quote from: MDXPHD on May 11, 2015, 01:38:30 pm

PA, easily.

Lakeside in a close game.

VV by 3+

LRCA

Maumelle by less than 2.

Batesville will win this by 3. Sorry Seven and Lionheart, NP just isn't very good and Batesville can be a dangerous team.

DeQueen

Nettleton. I think these are the two weakest conferences, but I think the central is weaker.

Girls

PA easy.

Maumelle.

VV big.

Harrison by 5+

LRCA by 5+.

This can be a good game.  GCT is much better this year than the last several years, but the East is very weak (other than VV). SH wins by 1.

Greenbrier. West girls sweep the South.

This will be a close game, but I don't know who will win. I'll guess NP.

O ye of little faith!!  Got the Pioneer boys correct but you slighted the Lady Pioneers!!  I will give you this, it was a close game!! 

If the seniors come back to play on their graduation day AND Stave is well enough to play, the Lady Pioneers may give Greenbrier a game, though their best chance will be making it to PK's again.  With Stave, they would have won it in regulation today.

MDXPHD

May 15, 2015, 08:58:08 am #12 Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 09:02:49 am by MDXPHD
Quote from: Intelligentsia on May 14, 2015, 10:54:12 pm

O ye of little faith!!  Got the Pioneer boys correct but you slighted the Lady Pioneers!!  I will give you this, it was a close game!! 

If the seniors come back to play on their graduation day AND Stave is well enough to play, the Lady Pioneers may give Greenbrier a game, though their best chance will be making it to PK's again.  With Stave, they would have won it in regulation today.

I'm guessing you don't want to hear my pick for this game either! ha

Out of the two games I missed on the girls side, I'm glad Batesville was one that I missed. 

sevenof400

That's the thing with Batesville, Intellgentsia - how many times in the past have we thought the stars were aligned for Batesville (in terms of the draw) and yet they stumbled out of the gate?  To be fair, playing in the East didn't help Batesville develop when their only competition on the boys side was Vilonia and on the girls side Nettleton for most of those years.  I'm with MDXPHD on this one - I'll be shocked if Batesville can beat Greenbrier because the Lady Pioneers will have to step their game up a few notches to do that. 

However, this is why the games are played on the field - anything can happen and that is the fun of a state tournament!

MDXPHD

May 15, 2015, 09:07:39 am #14 Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 09:10:23 am by MDXPHD
The top half of the bracket should be very competitive today.  PA looks solid. It will be interesting to see how Maumelle plays against them.  Harrison/VV might be a close game.. I think Harrison wins by 1.

In the bottom half, LRCA will hammer GCT.  Greenbrier beat Batesville earlier this year by 5 or so, but both teams have improved a lot.  As Intelligentsia pointed out, Batesville has graduation tonight and will probably be missing a few players.  I think that Greenbrier has consistently been playing against very difficult teams in the West (the only conference that still has all 4 teams in)

On the boys side, Batesville and Maumelle will be a fun game to watch.  Maumelle keeps winning, but by a small margin. Most of the other games will be competitive and close, the only one that I see not being close is the DeQueen/Jacksonville game.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 15, 2015, 09:06:18 am
That's the thing with Batesville, Intellgentsia - how many times in the past have we thought the stars were aligned for Batesville (in terms of the draw) and yet they stumbled out of the gate?  To be fair, playing in the East didn't help Batesville develop when their only competition on the boys side was Vilonia and on the girls side Nettleton for most of those years.  I'm with MDXPHD on this one - I'll be shocked if Batesville can beat Greenbrier because the Lady Pioneers will have to step their game up a few notches to do that. 

However, this is why the games are played on the field - anything can happen and that is the fun of a state tournament!

Didn't say they would win, but I did say the Lady Pioneers would give them a game.  It appears I hit the nail squarely on the head:). After losing our middle sweeper to a severely sprained ankle early in the second half, our girls continued to battle but ran out of gas, allowing a single GB score with 53 seconds left in regulation.  I could not be prouder of a team which has improved so much this year, and who left it all on the field!!  That said, I will be surprised, but pleased, to see GB in the finals. 

carteri

I might be a little bias here but although batesville was the better TEAM  I think North Pulaski #14 was the best girl in this game and one of the better girls in 5A central...I'm not taking away or do I mean to disrespect the well deserved victory

Intelligentsia

Quote from: carteri on May 17, 2015, 08:29:21 pm
I might be a little bias here but although batesville was the better TEAM  I think North Pulaski #14 was the best girl in this game and one of the better girls in 5A central...I'm not taking away or do I mean to disrespect the well deserved victory

#14 is a dandy, for sure!  Batesville does not have a lot of soccer skill; relying instead in athleticism, toughness, and really good goalies!!  Great, exhausting, game!!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas