• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 5A Playoff Bracket and Results (Girls Champion: LRCA, Boys Champion: DeQueen)

Started by sevenof400, May 03, 2015, 09:25:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mijally

Scots10

VHSCoach2

VHSCoach2

ninjafighter

Gonna say I've seen some questionable games performed by referees in the past.    But this one that centered the VV / Hot Springs game should be let go of his responsibilities.  He himself costs the game for VV with blown calls, no calls for offsides, and countless fouls and handballs that weren't called.  It was unbelievable!  Anyone that watched that game would have to agree.   
I'm super proud of VV boys who outplayed a very unsportsmanlike group of Hot Springs high school boys. They could learn something about class from VV.   I also believe that a team is a reflection of leadership.   Good and bad.  Enough said...
We have a super leader as a coach who only keeps players around that give 100%,
Show respect to one another and opponents, and show class in victory or defeat.
Thank you Coach Teat for that. 

Sir Alex

razorhogs72501

Seems like sour grapes to me. VV has their fair share of nutjobs. Your complaints about the referee is very subjective and sounds like an excuse. You lost. Congrats on a good season and better luck next year. Take the loss with the class you say HS is lacking.

Quote from: ninjafighter on May 15, 2015, 03:51:24 pm
Gonna say I've seen some questionable games performed by referees in the past.    But this one that centered the VV / Hot Springs game should be let go of his responsibilities.  He himself costs the game for VV with blown calls, no calls for offsides, and countless fouls and handballs that weren't called.  It was unbelievable!  Anyone that watched that game would have to agree.   
I'm super proud of VV boys who outplayed a very unsportsmanlike group of Hot Springs high school boys. They could learn something about class from VV.   I also believe that a team is a reflection of leadership.   Good and bad.  Enough said...

VHSCoach2

Greenbrier VG 1, Batesville VG 0. GB scored with less than a minute to go in regulation.

Complete Biased PoV

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on May 15, 2015, 11:57:58 am
Pulaski Academy girls beat Maumelle 6-?

I've seen PA's score, but Maumelle's was left off the score report.

6-0

VHSCoach2

Complete Biased PoV

Quote from: Scots10 on May 15, 2015, 01:47:38 pm
Have the PA girls lost a game this season?

They have lost 2.  0-1 to Central and lost to Bryant 2-4 I believe was the score. I don't remember them losing any others.

Lionheart88

Kind of an odd thing to say at the end of a post where you're doing your best to shift all of the blame off of the team you root for.

ninjafighter

No sour grapes razorhog.   Just calling it like it was.  My complaints about the referees were on target.   You can say it's subjective , I can live with that.  But if you weren't there to watch , you have no basis to say it's sour grapes and I'm off base. 
"Nut jobs" from VV.  Nice.    Really....??

Quote from: razorhogs72501 on May 15, 2015, 04:08:29 pm
Seems like sour grapes to me. VV has their fair share of nutjobs. Your complaints about the referee is very subjective and sounds like an excuse. You lost. Congrats on a good season and better luck next year. Take the loss with the class you say HS is lacking.

hst

I feel the need to address this, and in doing so will do so in the most polite way I can think of in addressing your comments.

First and foremost you are entitled to your opinion just like everyone is and we respect that, even if we respectfully disagree with it.

From what we know of Coach Teat and the VV B/G team is that they are class and coach is 100% class.

During the game there were several offsides called against Hot Springs. If you think poorly of the officiating the AAA will always have a need for more officials especially in the sport of soccer as they are driving from around the state to do two, three, four games a week. Its a thankless job. We are not always happy with the officials but its the way it goes sometimes.

As for calling the Hot Springs Boys unclassy we do take offense to that. Not to say that there weren't mistakes made during the game that were bad judgement calls but you have to remember that this is two groups of teenage boys playing a physical game.

A game to stay alive in state. But to say a blanket statement that all Hot Springs players lack class and that their coach lacks class (at least that seemed to be the assumption from reading your comments about reflection of leadership) I believe is unnecessary and unfounded.

The boys and girls coach at the end of the game helped along with VV coach to separate the boys after a heated physical game where emotions were running high and the coaches all spoke and left on cordial terms after the game. At the end and after the game there weren't necessarily the best of things said by either side, but several VV kids and HS kids shook hands and left on friendly terms.

Our boys and girls coaches have worked very hard over the years to build up our soccer sports programs and work very hard to teach and mentor these kids. We believe that our coaches are 100% class and always have the best interest of our kids in mind.

Again, you can agree or disagree. You're entitled to your own option. This one is simply ours.

We wish VV nothing but the best in future seasons for success and continuation of a great program under your Coach.

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

VHSCoach2

I know De Queen won, but what was the score in their match with Nettleton?

Edit: saw it was 4-1

Go Postal

Tomorrows semi games will be interesting...
Girls side:
C1: Pulaski Academy (current State runner-up) vs W2: Harrison (current State Champ)

W1: Little Rock Christian (West undefeated conference Champ this season, lost to Harrison last season in quarterfinals) vs W4: Greenbrier (lost to PA last season in quarterfinals).

It will be a safe bet on a West team and private school in the Finals.  But there could also be a West team and two private schools in the Finals.  There could also be a chance for two West public schools in the Finals.  The one safest bet is that the West conference will be State Champs or State Runner-up this year.  Pretty cool as a fan of all these teams.

Boys side:
First off, I would have really liked to see three South conference boys teams and a West team in the Semis again this year.  But that won't happen.  It will be a Central, West and 2 South teams this year.

C1: Pulaski Academy (lost in round one to HS Lakeside State runner-up last year) vs S3: Hot Springs (State semifinalist last year, lost to HS Lakeside State runner-up last year)

W1 Maumelle (5A newcomer, West undefeated conference Champ this season, lost to Berryville in 4A quarterfinals last year) vs S1: De Queen (current State Champ last year and 5A semifinalist two years ago).

Most people would pick two South teams in the Finals as a safe bet.  But could even be a Central and South teams in the Finals or even a West and Central teams in the Finals or even a West and South team in the Finals.  It will be interesting to see who can get State Champ and State runner-up this year.

PLAY ON!!!

Go Postal

Another thing that I haven't mentioned on the PA/Harrison girls and the PA boys game...
Looking at all boys/girls schools that play soccer from 7A on down, 5A Harrison boys/girls are tied with 6A Searcy boys/girls on the most State Championships since 1998 with 10 trophies.  5A PA boys/girls comes next with with 9 trophies, 7A Bentonville boys/girls comes next with 8 trophies.  Though State Champs are still two games away, from a 5A perspective, PA boys/girls and Harrison girls need to win to advance for the Finals to get more total State trophies.  I will put more in another thread for 7A, 6A, 5A and 4A after the semis for each conference going to the Finals.

Lionheart88

I don't mean this as a slight to Maumelle, but I fully expect to see DeQueen in the finals.  They're just that dominant.  PA/Hot Springs should be a good one.  I've reffed both this year, and they're both high-quality sides.  I'd give the edge to Hot Springs, because they play in a much tougher conference.

Arbitro

Quote from: Lionheart88 on May 15, 2015, 09:43:17 pm
I don't mean this as a slight to Maumelle, but I fully expect to see DeQueen in the finals.  They're just that dominant.  PA/Hot Springs should be a good one.  I've reffed both this year, and they're both high-quality sides.  I'd give the edge to Hot Springs, because they play in a much tougher conference.
Well then I'll be a slightly dissenting commenter.  I worked several DeQueen games this year, and while I agree that they are a deep and talented squad, in my opinion they are not as dominant as they were last year.  Whether that leaves enough room for someone to step up and beat them remains to be seen.

chaoslord

ninjafighter, I'm not going to pretend the referee was perfect. I wasn't there and it's definitely possible you are right! Just remember this: Referees are human, too, and much like players can have off days. I'll be honest and say I had a performance on Thursday that could, at the very best, be called aggressively average (and apparently someone from here was there! One of my ARs came up to me at half time and asked "Do you know these coaches?" "No, I've literally never worked either of these teams" "Well one of them is over there sayin 'Come on chaoslord!'). We make mistakes as referees sometimes.

That said, there are two things I want to point out to give some food for thought:

1) You call out the center referee but one thing you complain about is perceived missed offside decisions. Remember that the center is almost clueless on those. The ARs have that in 999/1000 cases. Also consider that things can look reaaaaaally bad and still be onside. From where the fans are, by the time the pass is played and you change your focus to the attacker and defender(s), the situation is very different, especially if they're like two cars passing on a highway. It's possible they were missed, but you're blaming the wrong person if they were and it's likely they got more of them right than you're giving credit for.

2) "handballs". Remember that 12-2 says this: "A player shall be penalized for deliberately handling, carrying, striking, or propelling the ball with a hand or arm." The amount of times that deliberate handling actually happens in a match is so few that I find it hard to believe that there were a ton of a missed ones. Like "You can't play on the ground!", handling is one of the more misunderstood things. Honestly, if no referee ever called a handling foul ever again, they'd be right more often than they were wrong.

VHSCoach2

Pulaski Academy VG 2, Harrison VG 1, final

VHSCoach2

Pulaski Academy VB 3, Hot Springs VB 1, final

Intelligentsia

Quote from: ninjafighter on May 15, 2015, 04:55:55 pm
No sour grapes razorhog.   Just calling it like it was.  My complaints about the referees were on target.   You can say it's subjective , I can live with that.  But if you weren't there to watch , you have no basis to say it's sour grapes and I'm off base. 
"Nut jobs" from VV.  Nice.    Really....??

Quote from: razorhogs72501 on May 15, 2015, 04:08:29 pm

I did watch the game and there were some missed calls, but it was certainly not one sided.  HS just outplayed VV.  Their effort against a much larger and more physical VV team was impressive.   As far as the level of class in players, I did not note a difference, but I was not emotionally invested in the game.  As an East Conference guy, I pretty much always root for the East team, but not so much that it distorts the way I view the game (except, of course, when the Pioneers are playing:). Finally, it was a very good game and appears that neither team left anything on the field.  Well officiated, not particularly, unfair to one side, not from where I was seated (on the 50 yard line).

mijally

Hey ninja fighter. Your boy is sticking it to us too.

VHSCoach2

The last semifinal result needed for today is Maumelle vs. De Queen boys. Anybody heard an update?

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

Tied 1-1 in OT I think. Lightning delay right now.

Edit: now in 2nd OT.

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

mijally

Quote from: Lionheart88 on May 15, 2015, 09:43:17 pm
Dequeen is not that dominant Lionheart. In fact Maumelle controlled this game and had more scoring chances. 3 off the crossbar, 5 or 6 great saves by their goalie who was fantastic. Dequeen was very fortunate that your colleague, same guy that did the Valley View/Hot Springs debacle, gave them the hookup with a gifted indirect from 5 yards on a "dangerous kick" when our center back cleared the ball out of the box.  Otherwise they couldn't score on us in 98 minutes. Dominant?  No way. Fortunate.

Lionheart88

Fair enough, probably the wrong word.  But they did still win the game.  Props to Maumelle for hanging with them that long.  Usually it's late in the game that their depth tells.

mijally

Yes they won the game but the props should go to Dequeen for hanging in there. They could have easily given up or conceded when they were chasing us around in desperation.

ARSoccer25

DeQueen's best player, the best player I have seen in 5a by far, was out the whole tournament with a MCL tear. They are dominant with him. He just takes over games.  Without him they are good but no where near the same level. I know he has been offered by several D1 schools.  People that have seen him play know. #37 Estivan Garcia

Lionheart88

Arbitro

Quote from: ARSoccer25 on May 17, 2015, 12:15:34 pm
DeQueen's best player, the best player I have seen in 5a by far, was out the whole tournament with a MCL tear. They are dominant with him. He just takes over games.  Without him they are good but no where near the same level. I know he has been offered by several D1 schools.  People that have seen him play know. #37 Estivan Garcia
He is probably the injured player I chatted with very late in the season.  I asked if he would be ready by the playoffs and he said "maybe" with the body language of "probably not."  He seemed like a knowledgeable and level-headed guy.  Best of luck for a full recovery.

mijally

That's bull. Estivan was out there. He wasn't himself but he was out there. Why would you make that up?

mijally

And our All-state center back has been out since LRCA. And that's not made up.

HP14

Interesting..... According to the Spanish radio network broadcasting the game he had sprained his ankle 3 weeks before. He had not played in the tournament prior to the Maumelle game but was definitely playing in the game.  As for his abilities he is good but as for any notion that it would have been a different game is  speculation at best. For that matter Maumelle had senior defensive center go out with a sprained MCL during the LRCA game. If any speculating is being done lets just say they would have cancelled each other out. Please don't speculate as to why the game was as close as it was as the game would have ended differently but for one simply subjective call that either was or was not a foul. According to the center official it was. To others maybe not. It is what it is but do not take away anything from th Maumelle players and the game played.

Lionheart88

Quote from: HP14 on May 17, 2015, 02:11:54 pm

Interesting..... According to the Spanish radio network broadcasting the game he had sprained his ankle 3 weeks before. He had not played in the tournament prior to the Maumelle game but was definitely playing in the game.  As for his abilities he is good but as for any notion that it would have been a different game is  speculation at best. For that matter Maumelle had senior defensive center go out with a sprained MCL during the LRCA game. If any speculating is being done lets just say they would have cancelled each other out. Please don't speculate as to why the game was as close as it was as the game would have ended differently but for one simply subjective call that either was or was not a foul. According to the center official it was. To others maybe not. It is what it is but do not take away anything from th Maumelle players and the game played.
He shouldn't speculate on why it was close, but it's fine for you to speculate on whether or not it would've ended differently if the referee called it your way?

ARSoccer25

I didn't make anything up. That was what I was told from a coach on the team. Sorry that I was miss informed.  I wasn't trying to take anything away from the players on Maumelle.

mijally

Fair enough. I respect Dequeen and the way they play. I thought it was a good clean game by both teams.

HP14

Quote from: Lionheart88 on May 17, 2015, 02:28:10 pm
Quote from: HP14 on May 17, 2015, 02:11:54 pm

He shouldn't speculate on why it was close, but it's fine for you to speculate on whether or not it would've ended differently if the referee called it your way?
Agreed. But think on this. The game ENDED tied 1-1 at end of regulation. Correct? If we have agreed on that point then the only other question since Maymelles goal was an actual goal and not from a set piece or pk or foul IS the speculative call. Called yes point. Called no no point game ends 1-0 in Maumells favor. There is no speculation on if DeQueen Would have scored again because they did not in the remaining 40 plus minuters.

Leopard

I believe he is actually planning to attend the university of Memphis and play soccer there.

ARSoccer25

Quote from: Leopard on May 18, 2015, 04:28:55 pm
I believe he is actually planning to attend the university of Memphis and play soccer there.

That's awesome! Wish he was healthy for the playoffs. Really enjoy watching him play.

Leopard

Quote from: ARSoccer25 on May 18, 2015, 06:35:59 pm
Quote from: Leopard on May 18, 2015, 04:28:55 pm

That's awesome! Wish he was healthy for the playoffs. Really enjoy watching him play.
Yes and he also went and tried out for a MLS team in Orlando Florida.  I'm not quite sure if they contacted him back or not.  Wish he was healthy also! He has a bright future ahead of him and it will be interesting to see where he goes from here.  I am glad he came to De Queen from Colombia his eighth grade year.  Its been great watching him mature into an excellent player.  Since I do not go to most away games, I was wondering, from yalls standpoint, what defender has been good at stopping him this year and what team has had a great defensive approach.  Obviously maumelle is good and what not, but what other team has been able to slow them down or stop him.

VHSCoach2

Final score:

Little Rock Christian Academy 2 (53', 76'), Pulaski Academy 1 (44')

VHSCoach2

De Queen 5 (23', 26', 34', 35', 69'), Pulaski Academy 2 (13', 17')

11:45 left.

Scots10

Congrats to LRCA Girls, they deserved that championship!  PA Girls played a great game for sure though.

DeQueen is now making the PA boys look like they haven't seen a soccer ball before.  Wow.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas