• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rison Woodlawn

Started by Coach Venny Slocombe, April 09, 2015, 05:01:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Coach Venny Slocombe

Will Rison and Rison/Woodlawn ever merge?

MR#1

In my opinion, only if forced to do so. Consolidation hurts many communities as the school is often the hub of those communities and the largest employer. It also hurts students as their school days are much longer because of longer bus rides. And, in many cases, consolidation will exclude some students from participating in athletics or other after-school activities. Anyway, ... just a few thoughts on the matter of consolidation.

minerjack

I think people from Woodlawn would go private before consolidating.

beach bum

I think the consolidation number should be closer to 500 than 350 except in rare circumstances in the Ozarks and Ouachitas like in Newton or Montogomery County where driving 20 miles can take what feels like forever. It saves money and the dynamics of the corporate world we live in now is nothing like a school that graduates 30 kids each year. I know not everyone lives in the corporate world obviously and make a great living in other areas of work. Almost all the men in my girlfriend's family farm. Growing up in a house on my uncles dairy farm were some amazing memories. Its just the way I see schools should be in today's age. Being #10 in your graduating class means a lot more graduating with 200 kids as opposed to 50.

Lions84

I hope not cause Humnoke and Gillett are just about dead now that the schools closed.

Dayton Kitchens

I thought "consolidation" technically meant "close two or more schools and combine them" such as Glenwood/Amity which became Centerpoint or forming Two Rivers out of Ola and another one.

Is the OP writer suggesting closing both Rison and Woodlawn and building a combined school?

On the other hand closing one school and sending their students to a larger nearby one is technically "annexation".

I know, everyone still just says "consolidation".

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on April 10, 2015, 12:28:17 pm
I think the consolidation number should be closer to 500 than 350 except in rare circumstances in the Ozarks and Ouachitas like in Newton or Montogomery County where driving 20 miles can take what feels like forever. It saves money and the dynamics of the corporate world we live in now is nothing like a school that graduates 30 kids each year. I know not everyone lives in the corporate world obviously and make a great living in other areas of work. Almost all the men in my girlfriend's family farm. Growing up in a house on my uncles dairy farm were some amazing memories. Its just the way I see schools should be in today's age. Being #10 in your graduating class means a lot more graduating with 200 kids as opposed to 50.

Yeah...Cause closing Weiner High School who ranked in the top 10 in Academics every single year to combine them with a school that was ranked #183 makes complete sense....All because of an randomly chosen number...

keohog

Quote from: Lions84 on April 10, 2015, 01:25:29 pm
I hope not cause Humnoke and Gillett are just about dead now that the schools closed.
When was Humnoke alive? Lol jk

AirWarren

Quote from: minerjack2212 on April 10, 2015, 11:53:22 am

Correct. Especially if the woodlawn people were forced to cohabitate with a certain "demographic".

HorseFeathers

Quote from: AirWarren on April 10, 2015, 10:14:16 pm

Correct. Especially if the woodlawn people were forced to cohabitate with a certain "demographic".

I think schools like Woodlawn will exist until the end of time, because of things like that.........

big E

Isn't Rison already consolidated with Kingsland?

AirWarren

Quote from: big E on April 11, 2015, 08:09:51 am
Isn't Rison already consolidated with Kingsland?

Yes. Or some of the kids that went to kingsland go to Warren or Fordyce.

AirWarren

Quote from: HF on April 10, 2015, 11:24:01 pm

I think schools like Woodlawn will exist until the end of time, because of things like that.........

I know many of situations where people that lived in the warren district chose to send their kids to Woodlawn due to such. They use the saying "I want my kid to go to a smaller classroom for more student one on one time with teachers." Which is bull.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: AirWarren on April 11, 2015, 01:01:19 pm
Quote from: HF on April 10, 2015, 11:24:01 pm

I know many of situations where people that lived in the warren district chose to send their kids to Woodlawn due to such. They use the saying "I want my kid to go to a smaller classroom for more student one on one time with teachers." Which is bull.

I know some that claimed this...but when your kids attend different school districs how can you really say that...

big E

I can't nock woodlawn for that we have the same situation at PW we get kids from Forrest City and Marianna. Education is better and you are less likely to get stabbed.

AirWarren

Quote from: big E on April 12, 2015, 07:19:49 am
I can't nock woodlawn for that we have the same situation at PW we get kids from Forrest City and Marianna. Education is better and you are less likely to get stabbed.

Warren is not Forrest city or Marianna.

MomaLion

Quote from: beach bum on April 10, 2015, 12:28:17 pm
I so disagree with this statement.  I grew up in a small school district and have my kids in the same.  I KNOW the teachers and admin..not just by name, but I know them personally...therefore I get much better response to my concerns and know that my kids are being looked after by people I consider family.  This is my community and if the school closes, that pretty much ends the life of a small community. 
I don't want my kids to be a dollar sign in a larger school.

WonderWartHawg

Woodlawn is a very rural district, there is no 'town' to die.  There is some sense of 'community' largely because of the school I guess, but that might be the only casualty if the school were to be consolidated.

To be honest, I am against the forcing of smaller schools to consolidate if they are performing well academically and offer a good curriculum that prepares a student for college.

As with almost anything though, it all comes down to the almighty dollar.
The powers that be aren't as worried about the academics as they are saving a dollar.

Lions84

Quote from: keohog on April 10, 2015, 09:56:04 pm
When was Humnoke alive? Lol jk

Back in the 1980's it was just fine.

Lions84

Quote from: WonderWartHawg on April 19, 2015, 04:19:04 pm

Woodlawn is a very rural district, there is no 'town' to die.  There is some sense of 'community' largely because of the school I guess, but that might be the only casualty if the school were to be consolidated.

To be honest, I am against the forcing of smaller schools to consolidate if they are performing well academically and offer a good curriculum that prepares a student for college.

The powers that be aren't as worried about the academics as they are saving a dollar.

Just go drive through any of the Delta towns that have lost their schools and you will see the Ghost of what they used to be.

big E

Cotton Plant,Humphrey,Humnoke,wabaseka, Gillette, Delta all have went the way of the dodo.

minerjack

I think ole Wabaseka is still hanging in there.   ;D  The others are falling apart, though...

HorseFeathers

Quote from: big E on April 23, 2015, 08:33:51 pm
Cotton Plant,Humphrey,Humnoke,wabaseka, Gillette, Delta all have went the way of the dodo.

No love for altheimer and Elaine?

WonderWartHawg

Quote from: Lions84 on April 23, 2015, 01:17:12 pm

Just go drive through any of the Delta towns that have lost their schools and you will see the Ghost of what they used to be.

True, Lions.  But what I was really trying to say is that there never has been and most likely never will be a 'town' TO die in the Woodlawn School District.  It's mainly just folks that live up and down Hwy 63 and side roads off of it from the Jefferson County line to the Bradley County line.  I can only think of one 'store' (The Country Store) on that whole stretch.  There might be another but I can't recall it at the moment.

big E

Nope HF never liked either one of those places.lol

BrianfromCarlisle

If Humphrey and Wabbaseka would've combined, they would've been tough at basketball.

AirWarren

Quote from: WonderWartHawg on April 25, 2015, 10:45:26 pm
Quote from: Lions84 on April 23, 2015, 01:17:12 pm

True, Lions.  But what I was really trying to say is that there never has been and most likely never will be a 'town' TO die in the Woodlawn School District.  It's mainly just folks that live up and down Hwy 63 and side roads off of it from the Jefferson County line to the Bradley County line.  I can only think of one 'store' (The Country Store) on that whole stretch.  There might be another but I can't recall it at the moment.

The other store you are referencing is the "broken spoke" haha. Got many of sausage biscuits there in the mornings heading out to camp along the saline river with friends when I was in high school.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas