• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New conference alignments

Started by XFalkonz, February 11, 2015, 02:59:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthpawSensation

It's looking pretty unlikely that the heads at the AAA will have these all together at the same time they did two years ago. I'm sure the consolidation issues have something to do with it (or they're trying to find a way to make money out of it!)

HorseFeathers

they.ll make the numbers available on a subscription site

AT

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on April 24, 2015, 11:30:06 am
It's looking pretty unlikely that the heads at the AAA will have these all together at the same time they did two years ago. I'm sure the consolidation issues have something to do with it (or they're trying to find a way to make money out of it!)

I was thinking the same thing Southpaw. Unless they've had contingency plans set in place for all these consolidations, then I would find it likely it takes them a little longer to get everything nailed down. The Jacksonville/NP decision seems to be the biggest.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Almatrackster on April 24, 2015, 05:47:58 pm
Quote from: SouthpawSensation on April 24, 2015, 11:30:06 am

I was thinking the same thing Southpaw. Unless they've had contingency plans set in place for all these consolidations, then I would find it likely it takes them a little longer to get everything nailed down. The Jacksonville/NP decision seems to be the biggest.

Seems like in the lower classes they just combine the average of the two schools that merged...Are the consolidations of Jax/NP, West Memphis/Hughes, and Hacket/Hartford(No school closure planned the last time I heard) the only ones that happened this time around?

HorseFeathers

If they go with the just add the consolidated school districts together like they have in the past...Hughes would add 81.33 to West Memphis's enrollment....but the real numbers aren't that high for them, as they've dropped to 68.

Proud Buckaroo

With Smackover and Norphlet consolidation. The numbers are 298 total. Which could push them to 4A next cycle.

sevenof400

AAA could release the numbers without classifications determined which of would allow for a period of analysis and comment.   

Wait, this is AAA. Never mind.

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 25, 2015, 08:15:05 am
AAA could release the numbers without classifications determined which of would allow for a period of analysis and comment.   

Wait, this is AAA. Never mind.
The AAA reclassification show ... only on pay-per-view!!!! Just for the low, low price of $199.99, and the announcer will come to you from Massachusetts!

AT

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on April 25, 2015, 12:29:15 am
With Smackover and Norphlet consolidation. The numbers are 298 total. Which could push them to 4A next cycle.

I forgot about this, thank you. With those two combined, I have a three year running average of 291.333, which keeps them in 3A just barely.

AT

Based on trends, Pulaski Academy is really going to be toeing that line with whether or not they stay 5A or go back to 4A.

AT

Basically for those who don't understand how the classification system works, here's a breakdown:

1. They take the most recent 3 years' enrollment data for each member school and find the average for those 3 years (9th-11th grade).

2. They then make a list from biggest to smallest of all the member schools based off these averages

3. 7A is the biggest 16 schools, 6A is the next biggest 16 schools, 5A is the next biggest 32 schools

4. 4A is the next biggest 48 football playing schools and then any non football school that falls within that that range. For instance, this past cycle, eStem was not a football school...but they were bigger than the 48th next biggest football school, so they are still 4A...which means 4A has 49 schools. Now if another 4A school was to drop football, let's say Heber Springs, then the biggest 3A football school would move up to 4A and then you'd have 50 4A schools, with 2 of those being non football.

5. The same process for 3A.

6. The 2A/1A situation is a little different. After 3A, the next largest 48 schools are 2A, but then if your school plays football, you are 2A no matter what, even if you are the smallest school in the state. Then the remaining schools are 1A.

AFTER ALL OF THIS, the AAA then looks at where the Private schools land. For instance, Little Rock Catholic's enrollment would land them in the 6A category, but the private school rule moves them up one classification to 7A and bumps down all schools that are bigger than Catholic down a spot This goes for all private schools.

sevenof400

Leave it to AT to bring order to chaos.......

Lionheart88

Quote from: Almatrackster on April 25, 2015, 02:39:59 pm
Based on trends, Pulaski Academy is really going to be toeing that line with whether or not they stay 5A or go back to 4A.
IIRC they're already of a size to be in 4A, but voluntarily play up in 5A.  Why wouldn't they continue to do so?

ricepig

Quote from: Lionheart88 on April 25, 2015, 07:26:57 pm
Quote from: Almatrackster on April 25, 2015, 02:39:59 pm
IIRC they're already of a size to be in 4A, but voluntarily play up in 5A.  Why wouldn't they continue to do so?

I was thinking they were 3A size, policy makers them play up one, and they petition to play up another??..??..

Lionheart88

Yes, that's what I mean.  Under the current rules they should be in 4A, but play up because they want to.

AT

You guys are right, my mistake. They are barely 4A size. They were only smaller than Booneville in 3A last cycle.

NEASPORTSFAN

NEASPORTSFAN

if this is correct, rison would knock gurdon down a spot with 187. This would push Camden harmony grove into 2a fooTball, thus closing the window at 186 and pushing Pangburn and flippin, non football playing schools into 2a.

GuvHog

April 27, 2015, 12:27:11 pm #68 Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 09:38:06 am by GuvHog
Quote from: Lionheart88 on February 11, 2015, 03:08:39 pm
For the 2016-2018 cycle?  The cycle numbers will probably be out before the spring's over, I'd expect conferences several months after that.

I'm wondering how they will handle the fact that North Pulaski isn't fielding a team this year which will leave that conference 1 team short this season. Since there must be eight schools in each 5A football conference will they pull the largest 4A team (Huntsville?) up to 5A and possibly move Vilonia to the 5A Central???

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on April 27, 2015, 12:27:11 pm
For the 2016-2018 cycle?  The cycle numbers will probably be out before the spring's over, I'd expect conferences several months after that.

I'm wondering how they will handle the fact that North Pulaski isn't fielding a team this year which will leave that conference 1 team short this year. Since there must be eight school in each 5A football conference will they pull the largest 4A team (Huntsville?) up to 5A and possibly move Vilonia to the 5A Central???

No, everyone has an open date to fill.

tmycjy

Quote from: ricepig on April 27, 2015, 12:49:32 pm

I'm wondering how they will handle the fact that North Pulaski isn't fielding a team this year which will leave that conference 1 team short this year. Since there must be eight school in each 5A football conference will they pull the largest 4A team (Huntsville?) up to 5A and possibly move Vilonia to the 5A Central???

No they will not its just consider as a open week when that happens you see this more in the small school then the larger school

ricepig

Quote from: tmycjy on April 27, 2015, 02:42:34 pm
Quote from: ricepig on April 27, 2015, 12:49:32 pm

No they will not its just consider as a open week when that happens you see this more in the small school then the larger school

That's what I just said, it's an open date, and they can fill it if they wish/can.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Almatrackster on April 25, 2015, 03:00:21 pm
Basically for those who don't understand how the classification system works, here's a breakdown:

1. They take the most recent 3 years' enrollment data for each member school and find the average for those 3 years (9th-11th grade).

2. They then make a list from biggest to smallest of all the member schools based off these averages

3. 7A is the biggest 16 schools, 6A is the next biggest 16 schools, 5A is the next biggest 32 schools

4. 4A is the next biggest 48 football playing schools and then any non football school that falls within that that range. For instance, this past cycle, eStem was not a football school...but they were bigger than the 48th next biggest football school, so they are still 4A...which means 4A has 49 schools. Now if another 4A school was to drop football, let's say Heber Springs, then the biggest 3A football school would move up to 4A and then you'd have 50 4A schools, with 2 of those being non football.

6. The 2A/1A situation is a little different. After 3A, the next largest 48 schools are 2A, but then if your school plays football, you are 2A no matter what, even if you are the smallest school in the state. Then the remaining schools are 1A.

AFTER ALL OF THIS, the AAA then looks at where the Private schools land. For instance, Little Rock Catholic's enrollment would land them in the 6A category, but the private school rule moves them up one classification to 7A and bumps down all schools that are bigger than Catholic down a spot This goes for all private schools.
It bears noting, the "private school rule" that you reference is a multiplier (1.25X I believe) applied to the private schools actual enrollment.  Then they are placed in the roster of schools ranked by attendance.

ricepig

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on April 28, 2015, 12:33:12 pm

It bears noting, the "private school rule" that you reference is a multiplier (1.25X I believe) applied to the private schools actual enrollment.  Then they are placed in the roster of schools ranked by attendance.

Nope, they did away with the multiplier and now require those with over 80 students 9-11 to play up one classification.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ricepig on April 28, 2015, 12:52:49 pm
Quote from: Grizzlyfan on April 28, 2015, 12:33:12 pm

Nope, they did away with the multiplier and now require those with over 80 students 9-11 to play up one classification.

It's 75 I believe...

AlmaTrackster, I think that Conway Christian will be in 2A, their enrollment lands them below the actual 48 school cut off for 2A so it's technically 1A in size.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas