• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pine Bluff, Watson Chapel and Dollarway talking merging.

Started by DEVIL DOG HOG, June 08, 2018, 04:01:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DEVIL DOG HOG

Heard on channel 4 that Pine Bluff, Watson Chapel and Dollarway are talking about merging.

Jimbo Morphis

Can't wait to hear Guv's take on this. Would be a state champion football team.

AirWarren

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on June 08, 2018, 04:01:06 pm
Heard on channel 4 that Pine Bluff, Watson Chapel and Dollarway are talking about merging.

Just talk. Nothing in concrete.

But with a population of 55k in 2000 now at 43000....the once great city of PB is drying up.

tmycjy

Quote from: AirWarren on June 08, 2018, 05:58:59 pm

Just talk. Nothing in concrete.

But with a population of 55k in 2000 now at 43000....the once great city of PB is drying up.

Why are the 3 school doing this would it better if 2 school stay open for right now

zebrafan

Thought they all would be under one district?...and still have WC in 5A..PB 6A..Dway in 3A.?

GuvHog

Quote from: zebrafan on June 08, 2018, 09:55:17 pm
Thought they all would be under one district?...and still have WC in 5A..PB 6A..Dway in 3A.?

It's looking like Dollarway will have to close with the students being divided between Pine Bluff and Watson Chapel. It could possibly push WC back up to the 6A classification.

Bondfan4ever

What does the community think about this?  If this did happen, what would be the timeframe for any kind of consolidation?

zebrafan

Quote from: GuvHog on June 12, 2018, 11:37:14 am
It's looking like Dollarway will have to close with the students being divided between WC and Watson Chapel. It could possibly push WC back up to the 6A classification.
Between WH? And WC?

Jimbo Morphis

It's looking like Dollarway will have to close with the students being divided between WC and Watson Chapel. It could possibly push WC back up to the 6A classification.
Is this a Guvfact or a real fact?

AHS06

Quote from: Bondfan4ever on June 12, 2018, 09:44:39 pm
What does the community think about this?  If this did happen, what would be the timeframe for any kind of consolidation?
As with most things I would say the community is split.  This appears to be community driven with support of some districts personnel.  It would have to be approved by the districts and then submitted to the state for approval. 

AHS06

Quote from: zebrafan on June 08, 2018, 09:55:17 pm
That is how I received the information from news sources.  However, one aspect of the possible merger was to eliminate financial barriers and in order to accomplish that goal there would have to be a school consolidation somewhere with DW being the lesser of the schools.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: AHS06 on June 13, 2018, 08:20:12 am
That is how I received the information from news sources.  However, one aspect of the possible merger was to eliminate financial barriers and in order to accomplish that goal there would have to a school consolidation somewhere with DW being the lesser of the schools.
Crazy to have 4 districts in a quickly shrinking small city. Lots of fat to be trimmed.

AHS06

White Hall has already made it public that they do not want anything to do this.  Chapel would have to consume just about all of DW students to move up to 6A. 

AHS06

Quote from: Oldman on June 13, 2018, 08:22:51 am
Crazy to have 4 districts in a quickly shrinking small city. Lots of fat to be trimmed.
Strategically there is a possibility to trimmed down a lot.  White Hall is a city of it's own and it is not Pine Bluff.  There are 3 districts that could merge to help adapt to the shrinking the population. 

Oldbadger

We need to understand that school districts are not only made up of students in town but also students in the surrounding county. So, the population of the town isn't the only consideration, although it does make an impact on the individual schools when population is lost. Keep in mind that even if any districts are consolidated individual schools may not close.

zebradynasty

I am not convinced yet that merging into one district really solves any problems other than it would cut down on administrative cost. I don't see it improving academics, school transfers or improving athletics but I am eager to at least listen. Of course with all 3 districts facing some tough financial decisions in the next few years cutting operating cost is music to the ears. My understanding white hall will not be part of any of this decision. DWay is in bad shape and could be facing closure all together. The "Northside" folks here will never willingly vote to consolidate.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: zebradynasty on June 13, 2018, 10:13:59 am
I am not convinced yet that merging into one district really solves any problems other than it would cut down on administrative cost. I don't see it improving academics, school transfers or improving athletics but I am eager to at least listen. Of course with all 3 districts facing some tough financial decisions in the next few years cutting operating cost is music to the ears. My understanding white hall will not be part of any of this decision. DWay is in bad shape and could be facing closure all together. The "Northside" folks here will never willingly vote to consolidate.
Is Pine Bluff High closer for the Dway students if Dway closed?

Rayburn

Just needing some clarification. I always thought Dollarway, PBHS and WC were three high schools in the same district, like Little Rock and Fort Smith.
Am I understanding this correctly, that there are three entirely separate school districts in that one town?

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Rayburn on June 13, 2018, 11:23:42 am
Just needing some clarification. I always thought Dollarway, PBHS and WC were three high schools in the same district, like Little Rock and Fort Smith.
Am I understanding this correctly, that there are three entirely separate school districts in that one town?
3 different

zebrafan

Quote from: Oldman on June 13, 2018, 10:40:41 am
Is Pine Bluff High closer for the Dway students if Dway closed?
PBHS is a little closer to DHS than WC.

zebradynasty

Quote from: zebrafan on June 13, 2018, 01:33:02 pm

That is correct not enough to make a huge difference. When DWay took over the Altheimer school district they took on more area without much benefits. Not suggesting that's what caused the fall of Dway but it certainly did not help! The Altheimer, Tucker and Sherrill areas are a long way from WC and it's not that many students in that area anymore.

friscokid

If PB, WC and DW all merge to form one high school, it'll solve a looming headache for the AAA. The new school would have 7A numbers and would likely bump one of the NWA schools. The same thing will happen when SWLR opens, so that will restore balance and keep the two FS schools together in the West.

Hoghead2

Quote from: zebrafan on June 13, 2018, 01:33:02 pm
PBD  is on the West side not far from WH and PBH. WC is out East of PBH on Hwy 79.

GuvHog

Quote from: zebrafan on June 13, 2018, 03:16:02 am
Between WH? And WC?

Misstype on my part. It would be between Pine Bluff and Watson Chapel.

footballfan-tastic

Dollarway is still in $$$$ trouble?  Sooner or later it will have to close.

GuvHog

Quote from: AHS06 on June 13, 2018, 08:23:13 am
White Hall has already made it public that they do not want anything to do this.  Chapel would have to consume just about all of DW students to move up to 6A. 

If the state board gets involved then White Hall may not have a choice but to be a part of it.

footballfan-tastic

Isn't White Hall its own incorporated town?   They can make some argument with that to stay independent.  Also if they send a portion of PBD to WH they will have to reapportion tax dollars to support the WH school.  I don't imagine PB will want that.

GuvHog

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on June 14, 2018, 10:59:21 am
Isn't White Hall its own incorporated town?   They can make some argument with that to stay independent.  Also if they send a portion of PBD to WH they will have to reapportion tax dollars to support the WH school.  I don't imagine PB will want that.

It doesn't matter because the state board will have the final say. Unless a court blocks it, my guess is that the Dollarway District will be split up as evenly as possible between the other 3 districts.

footballfan-tastic

It certainly does make a difference if WH has enough clout to make it work.  All they need is a reasonable argument to block it in order to have a chance to keep PBD out.  The state board is political and who has pull matters. 

zebrafan

Quote from: Hoghead2 on June 14, 2018, 01:46:09 am
PBD  is on the West side not far from WH and PBH. WC is out East of PBH on Hwy 79.
Yes, that is correct.

zebradynasty

This proposal is just not doing it for me. The idea that you take 3 financially and academically distress school districts and combine them into 1...I don't see it making the 1 stronger. I really don't see White Hall in this. I don't think the state board will force consolidation on them when they are doing pretty decent. I agree something needs to be done to improve the educational system here not sure consolidation is the way. If it's a money issue we need to address it in another way. Same with academics.

On the Athletic side...with the right coaches it could dominate in at least 3-4 sports every year! The PB schools system doesn't have an athletic problem it has a academic problem.

footballfan-tastic

Consolidation of the schools within PB could possibly help with the financial issues if they do an effective job of consolidating personnel.  One superintendent and not a bunch of extra assts just to provide jobs for all the present staffs could save several hundred thousand dollars. Also the ability to make purchases for all schools would give them more economic buying power and allow larger bulk purchases of materials for a better price. Closing the PBD building and cutting the staff from PBD would also save an enormous amount of money, teachers, administrators, support staff and maintenance cuts would save big $$$. Although I'm sure some would be retained and moved to the new district, new building.

GuvHog

Quote from: zebradynasty on June 14, 2018, 01:53:19 pm
This proposal is just not doing it for me. The idea that you take 3 financially and academically distress school districts and combine them into 1...I don't see it making the 1 stronger. I really don't see White Hall in this. I don't think the state board will force consolidation on them when they are doing pretty decent. I agree something needs to be done to improve the educational system here not sure consolidation is the way. If it's a money issue we need to address it in another way. Same with academics.

On the Athletic side...with the right coaches it could dominate in at least 3-4 sports every year! The PB schools system doesn't have an athletic problem it has a academic problem.

WC is not in financial distress. They have other compliance issues but they are moving to correct those.

zebradynasty

Quote from: GuvHog on June 20, 2018, 09:45:41 am
WC is not in financial distress. They have other compliance issues but they are moving to correct those.

Maybe not distressed YET but currently not able to make needed improvements in infrastructure. Declining population for the city equals declining tax base for all three school districts.

GuvHog

Quote from: zebradynasty on June 20, 2018, 02:51:26 pm
Maybe not distressed YET but currently not able to make needed improvements in infrastructure. Declining population for the city equals declining tax base for all three school districts.

Right now the only school districts with declining student enrollment in Jefferson County are Pine Bluff and Dollarway.

NWA Hawg

Quote from: GuvHog on June 21, 2018, 09:13:04 pm
Right now the only school districts with declining student enrollment in Jefferson County are Pine Bluff and Dollarway.

Pretty sure Watson Chapel is in Jefferson County.

zebradynasty

June 22, 2018, 01:05:38 am #36 Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 01:23:35 am by zebradynasty

Didn't watson chapel use to be 6A? In 2015 watson chapel had 724 students in 2017 682.
*Numbers rounded and taken from the AAA website.

Jimbo Morphis

Sigh

AirWarren

Quote from: zebradynasty on June 22, 2018, 01:05:38 am
Didn't watson chapel use to be 6A? In 2015 watson chapel had 724 students in 2017 682.

Yes. They used to be 6A and are on a rapid pace to be in 4a.

Guv just types to type.

Oldbadger

I don't know the specifics of this but, if the three districts are required by the state to merge, what I expect to see is not much change in the physical setup, only in the administration. All superintendents will be released as will all assistant superintendents. A central administrative facility will be procured where one superintendent and three assistant superintendents will have offices. Other administrative workers will move there and those in the current offices will be laid off or fired, keeping only what is necessary to administer immediate needs. Teachers will then be transferred as needed to one school or the other. Athletics will not change. Still will be Dollarway, Watson Chapel and Pine Bluff high. Lower level schools will remain the same. Just my take on this.

GuvHog

They were never really a 6A school. One of the former Assistant Administrators falsified the enrollment numbers to make WC appear larger than it really was. When he was caught, he was terminated and WC moved back to 5A were they belonged all along.

GuvHog

Quote from: AirWarren on June 22, 2018, 07:50:00 am
Yes. They used to be 6A and are on a rapid pace to be in 4a.

Guv just types to type.

Wrong again. WC is among the larger 5A districts in the state. Of the 32 5A school districts, they are #14.

zebradynasty

Quote from: GuvHog on June 23, 2018, 12:13:00 pm
They were never really a 6A school. One of the former Assistant Administrators falsified the enrollment numbers to make WC appear larger than it really was. When he was caught, he was terminated and WC moved back to 5A were they belonged all along.

Strange how no one but YOU has heard of that story! At any event since 2009 when watson chapel was 6A the enrollment has dropped.

AirWarren

Quote from: GuvHog on June 23, 2018, 12:14:37 pm
Wrong again. WC is among the larger 5A districts in the state. Of the 32 5A school districts, they are #14.

Funny how when we played y'all that year it was 6A Watson chapel.

I don't give a crap who fudged the numbers, you and your district were 6A. Don't care about the back story.

Don't act like Watson chapel is some beacon of light in Jefferson county. You'll be at the table of 4A schools soon enough. Unless you find another "enrollment fudger" to fix that.

HorseFeathers

Lost 600 students in last 10 years per ADE

AirWarren

GhostofRosswoodCC

White Hall should not even part of this thread.

Unless some of those good Athletes want to move out to White Hall and play ball...... ;D

GuvHog

Quote from: zebradynasty on June 23, 2018, 04:49:54 pm
Strange how no one but YOU has heard of that story! At any event since 2009 when watson chapel was 6A the enrollment has dropped.

It helps to know former school board members. The enrollment didn't drop that much, it was never as high as it was reported during the 6A years. When it was discovered that the former assistant Administrator was falsifying the numbers, he was terminated and WC immediately dropped down to 5A.  WC has lost some students but not close to 600. The Pine Bluff District has been losing students for years. That's why they had to close 2 Elementary schools and the 7th grade school.

GuvHog

Quote from: AirWarren on June 23, 2018, 07:50:28 pm
Funny how when we played y’all that year it was 6A Watson chapel.

I don’t give a crap who fudged the numbers, you and your district were 6A. Don’t care about the back story.

Don’t act like Watson chapel is some beacon of light in Jefferson county. You’ll be at the table of 4A schools soon enough. Unless you find another “enrollment fudger” to fix that.

I certainly wouldn't call them a "Beacon of Light". That's funny right there.

AirWarren

Quote from: GuvHog on June 30, 2018, 07:20:29 pm
It helps to know former school board members. The enrollment didn't drop that much, it was never as high as it was reported during the 6A years. When it was discovered that the former assistant Administrator was falsifying the numbers, he was terminated and WC immediately dropped down to 5A.  WC has lost some students but not close to 600. The Pine Bluff District has been losing students for years. That's why they had to close 2 Elementary schools and the 7th grade school.

Oh you mean the school board members who told you Dustin Prescott was the next head football coach of the wildcats?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas