• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WEIGHTLIFTING FOR HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETES

Started by powerlifter90, July 11, 2010, 11:14:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

4.1forty

Just wondering...wud u want to lift wts on same day u play a hs fb gm? What bout bb or baseball?

powerlifter90

I would NOT recommend lifting the same day you play any sport, save your energy.

Valleysports

NOTE TO SELF: Hey Idiot -Do not ever miss 2 weeks of squats again - then try to pick up where you left off! OUCH!  It just happened because we were going skiing on a tues (wanted to save leg strength) then those thunderstorms moved in so we postponed till thurs......... From now on - if I can't do a quality squat session during the week, I'm at least running by the gym and hitting 30 reps of some light weight, something quick.  I've been locked up for 4 days.  ;D  Pointing toes outward made the soreness on inside thighs (almost groin).  I could feel them stressing during the lifts, but couldn't resist loading up.  ::)

powerlifter90

Quote from: Valleysports on July 12, 2011, 01:18:26 pm
NOTE TO SELF: Hey Idiot -Do not ever miss 2 weeks of squats again - then try to pick up where you left off! OUCH!  It just happened because we were going skiing on a tues (wanted to save leg strength) then those thunderstorms moved in so we postponed till thurs......... From now on - if I can't do a quality squat session during the week, I'm at least running by the gym and hitting 30 reps of some light weight, something quick.  I've been locked up for 4 days.  ;D  Pointing toes outward made the soreness on inside thighs (almost groin).  I could feel them stressing during the lifts, but couldn't resist loading up.  ::)

remember SOME training is better that NO training.  If you have something going on, don't skip the day, make it a light day or move it forward or backwards a day. 

FOOTNOTE:  I need to listen to my own advice more often.

cav2012

Sorry, honestly don't feel like looking through the pages on here but, any tips on dead lift besides the usual  ;D

Valleysports

How far is the drive to Jacksonville Cav?
You need to go train at Bug's Gym for a bit.

cav2012

Valleysports

Thanks Bugeater - son and I watched the Squat You-tube, before squatting at B2B yesterday.  He's going heavy on sun, with me, then speed stuff on tues and thur mornings, with Jamie. 

Real dissapointed kid - he's a classic TE, with great hands, but because we lack linemen and he's big and strong - he's having to play Offensive Tackle.  He's doing real well, but he hates it.  He won't quit on his team, but he won't play OT next year either - I own a house in Pottsville, so we'll have to make some decisions before Spring Training. 

On the Positive Side - now that he's not running routes in practice, he has plenty left over to workout.  Body weight is creeping up - 235'ish - he'll be 250 by summer.  He benched 245 / 6 reps yesterday, but that's about the same as squat.  We want to push his squat to 400 ASAP - Jamie will push the Dead Lift.  To do this, we've got to go around the football coaches, who just havn't been exposed to modern power training.  I'd like to buy the weight coach a membership at B2B and get Jamie to train him.  Every kid who's made gains, has done it working in a local gym!  WELL I'll end this rant now  ;D

PS - I'm having TECHS QB throw him passes now and then.  QB is from my high school - Tyler Lee.  :D

Valleysports

Unfortunately I think son has a hernia!  :'(

cav2012

Well just got out of a 5 hour practice ...mannnnnnnn.....anyways just big thanks on the how to improve your game speed

toobad4u993

Valleysports

The benefits of being lazy:  haha

Been through some hard times lately, dad passed away and things.  Don't know if it was that or what, but I just haven't had the go-get-em to workout lately.  So 6-8 weeks had gone by.  Now I would do a descent bench & squat about every 10 days, 5 sets of 10.  But that was about it.

So this last week the ole me came back and I felt like getting after it.  To my pleasant suprise, my elbow-itis had healed, rotator cuff isn't sore, I feel injury free.  Maybe it was just time to let my body reset or something.  Something to keep in mind.

olemissjacket99

is Bugeaters no longer on FF?   got some questions for him?

toobad4u993

slowntheMUD

Shoot with your questions. BUG is out there somewhere. Someone else can take a shot.

Valleysports

Yeah SlowntheMud - Bugs see's all!  ;D

So when's that State Meet?  You bringing your team again this year?

I had to back off pushing my son and put relationship over his training.  Let him do his own thing.  He's so strong, without lifting weights, it's crazy.  Anyway he's just finishing up basketball and our relationship is really good now that I stopped pushing him.   :)

toobad4u993

Are there any powerlift meets open to everyone, not just highschool? And where can I see results from previous years?

slowntheMUD

State Weight Meet...
April 7th... at Russellville Jr. High

I believe we are. The only issue is that it is Easter weekend and alot of the kids have family commitments.

LionX2

Quote from: Valleysports on September 19, 2011, 02:11:26 pm
Thanks Bugeater - son and I watched the Squat You-tube, before squatting at B2B yesterday.  He's going heavy on sun, with me, then speed stuff on tues and thur mornings, with Jamie. 

Real dissapointed kid - he's a classic TE, with great hands, but because we lack linemen and he's big and strong - he's having to play Offensive Tackle.  He's doing real well, but he hates it.  He won't quit on his team, but he won't play OT next year either - I own a house in Pottsville, so we'll have to make some decisions before Spring Training. 

On the Positive Side - now that he's not running routes in practice, he has plenty left over to workout.  Body weight is creeping up - 235'ish - he'll be 250 by summer.  He benched 245 / 6 reps yesterday, but that's about the same as squat.  We want to push his squat to 400 ASAP - Jamie will push the Dead Lift.  To do this, we've got to go around the football coaches, who just havn't been exposed to modern power training.  I'd like to buy the weight coach a membership at B2B and get Jamie to train him.  Every kid who's made gains, has done it working in a local gym!  WELL I'll end this rant now  ;D

PS - I'm having TECHS QB throw him passes now and then.  QB is from my high school - Tyler Lee.  :D

I don't know if you want to put this out there but what school is it that the coaches know so little about weight lifting

Valleysports

Just sitting here waiting for a little 1MR Kick.  Going to hit a 3-5 mile run this morning, like to do a good jog the day after squats.  Still think squats are the most important lift in life!  This is coming from a guy who hadn't squatted since college football 20-30 yrs before rediscovering them.  Back always hurt, thought I was going to need knee surgery, all that stuff.  I am amazed at how easy I can get out of a chair (not straining back), bounce up bleachers / stairs, or how my legs carry me while jogging now.  I typically get 5 sets of 10 reps, adding weights after first two sets.  My daughters wanted to buy a Brazillian Buttocks Lift Video - I introduced them to wide stance, toes pointed out, knees tracking over toes, SQUATS.   :) 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas