• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pulaski Academy

Started by PA Dad, August 12, 2015, 10:28:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Grond

Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 30, 2015, 07:13:36 am
I think that Valley View has a good chance to be a consistent contender.  They are very competitive and committed to their sports programs.  They are close enough to a fairly populated area to attract families who want their children to participate in a competitive football program other than Jonesboro, and they have some of the best academic scores in the state.

Otherwise you will only occasionally see good a team from Blytheville, Forrest City and Nettleton.  All that can change, however.  Batesville wandered in the desert for some years before Coach King arrived and reestablished a winning program.  Any of our 5-A East schools could do the same with the a coach that had vision, charisma, a solid plan and the backing of the administration and community.
This analysis is exactly right. Note that Valley View lost the coach that got them all the success in 4A, so it will be interesting to see where the new head coach takes the team (2014 was his first season as head coach).

PA Dad

Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 29, 2015, 12:15:59 am
No, PADad, I didn't take offense to your comment.  Concerning the level of talent of P.A. and the next top 3 or four teams in 5-A: Looking at the 22 starters each night (regardless if the play both ways) the top 5 - 8 players at P.A. are more, and most of the past several years, much more talented than the top 5 players from the other teams.  The next dozen players, are pretty much even, and P.A. is probably not as talented at the bottom 5 players.  Given that, maybe it comes out pretty even most years.  No doubt, the teams that find thselves at the top, do so mostly by developing players, but it's certainly an advantage when you have two or three DI skill players on your team.

I just read the article on Batesville in today's paper.  It says that Batesville has a D-1 prospect this year.  Coach King says the team is loaded with talent.  I doubt that PA has a talent advantage this year.

I've said before that it appears that Batesville is the team to beat this year.  I still think that's correct.

Intelligentsia

I wonder which player has D1 talent?  The junior QB certainly has the size and arm to stay in the pocket, along with good north south speed.  He seems pretty tough, so he may have the nerve to stay in the pocket, as well.  Time will tell.  We also have a junior tailback that might have that kind of talent.  Those are two of the players that may help make next years team as strong or stronger than this year, but let's play this season first - I should be a good one.  As you may recall, early on I said we have a very good chance of making the semis and on the bold prediction thread I said the Pioneers would have an undefeated season (which I qualified as a possible fit of irrational exuberance - the phrase coined by my old buddy Alan G:)

PA Dad

Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 30, 2015, 02:49:01 pm
I wonder which player has D1 talent?  The junior QB certainly has the size and arm to stay in the pocket, along with good north south speed.  He seems pretty tough, so he may have the nerve to stay in the pocket, as well.  Time will tell.  We also have a junior tailback that might have that kind of talent.  Those are two of the players that may help make next years team as strong or stronger than this year, but let's play this season first - I should be a good one.  As you may recall, early on I said we have a very good chance of making the semis and on the bold prediction thread I said the Pioneers would have an undefeated season (which I qualified as a possible fit of irrational exuberance - the phrase coined by my old buddy Alan G:)

According to the article Dillon Daniels is drawing D-1 interest.  The article is in the football supplement  to today's DemGaz.

mijally

If Batesville has more talent then why does PA have 3 players on the All Prep teams in the Democrat today and 1 other on the watch list?  4 total. Pine Bluff has 5 Bentonville and Fayetteville also have 4. Batesville has 1 player on the watch list. 

MDXPHD

Quote from: mijally on August 30, 2015, 07:05:12 pm
If Batesville has more talent then why does PA have 3 players on the All Prep teams in the Democrat today and 1 other on the watch list?  4 total. Pine Bluff has 5 Bentonville and Fayetteville also have 4. Batesville has 1 player on the watch list.

Because Batesville, like PA, continues to churn out D-1 prospects year after year. That's why they are so successful.

PA Dad

August 30, 2015, 08:14:19 pm #156 Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 09:43:25 pm by PA Dad

Actually, if you will read what I said I did not say that Batesville has more talent.  I said that I doubt that PA has a talent advantage this year.  That implies equal talent.  And, based on what Coach King said in his interview reported today, he seems to think Batesville has great talent this year.

Ya'll act like talent is a bad thing.  I think I'd be glad my team was talented.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on August 30, 2015, 07:06:51 pm

Because Batesville, like PA, continues to churn out D-1 prospects year after year. That's why they are so successful.

Actually I've cited Batesville many times to support my argument that it takes more than talent.. Coach King has been very successful without D-1 talent.  Something other than talent must be in the mix.

mijally

PA Dad. I think your team is loaded with talent. Whether you win the title remains to be seen. But you got more than I originally thought you did.

PA Dad

Quote from: mijally on August 30, 2015, 08:38:04 pm
PA Dad. I think your team is loaded with talent. Whether you win the title remains to be seen. But you got more than I originally thought you did.

I don't mind being loaded with talent.  In fact, I prefer it.

But, if you're going off of the DemGaz list I think your source is suspect.  There have been many posts on this board about media bias and I think that's true when it comes to any list of "best players".  Highly ranked teams and central and NW Arkansas are over represented in my opinion.

mijally

I was more referring to your offensive line and other articles I saw about your team. Returning O Lines are huge.

PA Dad

Quote from: mijally on August 30, 2015, 08:56:45 pm
I was more referring to your offensive line and other articles I saw about your team. Returning O Lines are huge.

There is no doubt that our O line is big and very good.  Caden Haws at center will play D-1.

If you read the article on Batesville today, Coach King thinks his O line is also big and talented.  I have no doubt that he is correct.

Intelligentsia

Dillon is our big tight end, around 6'7" and plenty of meat.  I knew a couple of D3 schools had expressed interest, but was unaware of a D1.  Never know, if he gets little faster and stronger, he might get a D1 offer, but it will take a good year.. I sure hope he has that kind of year!!

PA Dad

Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 30, 2015, 09:06:32 pm
Dillon is our big tight end, around 6'7" and plenty of meat.  I knew a couple of D3 schools had expressed interest, but was unaware of a D1.  Never know, if he gets little faster and stronger, he might get a D1 offer, but it will take a good year.. I sure hope he has that kind of year!!

Me too.  Just not against PA!

mijally

They had one of your LB's as a "junior to watch". Blake Franks

Intelligentsia

Quote from: mijally on August 30, 2015, 09:40:14 pm

No doubt there.  He is a potential defensive Giant - his dad is somewhere in the 6'5" range and uncle is 6'8".  He's pretty fast, has a nose for the ball, and loves to hit folks really hard.  Yes, that one may have D1 potential.  Actuall, one of a few very talented juniors.

PA Dad

Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 30, 2015, 09:51:08 pm

No doubt there.  He is a potential defensive Giant - his dad is somewhere in the 6'5" range and uncle is 6'8".  He's pretty fast, has a nose for the ball, and loves to hit folks really hard.  Yes, that one may have D1 potential.  Actuall, one of a few very talented juniors.

How big/fast is he?

After all your talk about Batesville having no D-1 talent it looks like you have at least two D-1 prospects this year.  Just confirms that Batesville is the team to beat.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: PA Dad on August 30, 2015, 09:56:58 pm

How big/fast is he?

After all your talk about Batesville having no D-1 talent it looks like you have at least two D-1 prospects this year.  Just confirms that Batesville is the team to beat.

Next year we may have a couple, but that's a long way off. Franks is likely around 6'3", maybe 6'4".  He is a bit rangy, but with those long, powerful muscles.  I don't know how fast, but he appears to be pretty quick.  The main attributes are his nose for the ball (anticipation) and the way he hits - he really does run through people.  He hits like he wants to come out on the other side.  We have another couple kids like that, but without his size.  Finally, it appears that the Pioneers will be tough defending the run and pressuring the opposing QB, which should certainly make the secondary a bit easier to handle.  A QB scrambling for his life, or who knows he is about to be punished, seems to throw up some I'll advised/executed passes.

PA Dad

Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 30, 2015, 10:33:06 pm
Quote from: PA Dad on August 30, 2015, 09:56:58 pm

How big/fast is he?

Next year we may have a couple, but that's a long way off. Franks is likely around 6'3", maybe 6'4".  He is a bit rangy, but with those long, powerful muscles.  I don't know how fast, but he appears to be pretty quick.  The main attributes are his nose for the ball (anticipation) and the way he hits - he really does run through people.  He hits like he wants to come out on the other side.  We have another couple kids like that, but without his size.  Finally, it appears that the Pioneers will be tough defending the run and pressuring the opposing QB, which should certainly make the secondary a bit easier to handle.  A QB scrambling for his life, or who knows he is about to be punished, seems to throw up some I'll advised/executed passes.

You are right about a qb under pressure.  Although PA's qb handled priessure well in the scrimmage, he's still a sophomore and I'm still concerned about his decisions.

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: AirWarren on August 13, 2015, 07:54:44 am
Yeah. Lanny loves him some Pa haha.

This guy asked for it though. PA has been the brunt of these "whoa as me" posts from their supporters for years on FF. NOTHING compares to those clowns that used to post from Shiloh Christian.
???

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: $aintMaximu$ on September 04, 2015, 02:45:01 pm

This guy asked for it though. PA has been the brunt of these "whoa as me" posts from their supporters for years on FF. NOTHING compares to those clowns that used to post from Shiloh Christian.
???

It wasn't all $hiloh posters - there were 3 in particular that were pretty much universally despised.

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on September 04, 2015, 03:35:21 pm
Quote from: $aintMaximu$ on September 04, 2015, 02:45:01 pm

???

It wasn't all $hiloh posters - there were 3 in particular that were pretty much universally despised.

Yes and I understand why...  I was just a casualty of their stupidity... I was just giving AirWarren a hard time...

DT

Quote from: FD4 on August 13, 2015, 10:56:29 am
Dad, I see it much the same.  I know a PA Dad who's son played for PA.  He is a great guy and perhaps the, heck he is the main reason the Fallen Firefighters Memorial is on the capital grounds.  He is now retired.  His son was a good player.  So, I have an interest in PA on that note.  In 06 when PA came to Wynne and won the semi final by one point, I figured that was perhaps the greatest game in high school in Arkansas of all time.  Greenwood proved that wrong the following week by winning the title against PA.  Last season I talked with a man from SH during a playoff game in Wynne.  PA had an RB that was courted by PA to come on over.  Just saying.  If I had a son the caliber of a Knighten or Green or just pick a D1 prospect, I would probably look close at getting him in PA if I lived in the area.  But in the end a school with 450 students (Shiloh back in the Gus days) should never be able to step on a field with public school that has 1200 or 1500 students and compete, it just don't happen.  So getting top quality athletes does seem to be a normality with any private school.  So I would have to say it is jealousy mixed with a bit of disappointment.  Or as we say in NASCAR, "I cant stand Jimmy Johnson".  All Jimmy does is drive the car.  All those kids do is play the game.  Get it?

I'm Johnny's son, Casey. Now a LR firefighter as well.

I may be one of the few, but I can attest to some parents making huge sacrifices to send their kids to PA. My parents decided the education and environment at PA were worth the cost, but in order to afford the tuition, we lived in a very rough part of LR for quite a few years, and our only "family vacation" in my 12 years at PA was driving to New Orleans so my dad could look at culinary schools for when he retired from the fire department.

My point is that while the majority of families at PA are very very blessed financially, there are also plenty of families like mine that gave up a lot of things to be able to attend there.

I'd also like to point out that I was never any good at football, or any sport for that matter, but I cherish my time playing for Coach Kelley, Coach Wood and all the others who helped shape me into the man I have become.

AirWarren

Quote from: DT on September 04, 2015, 08:49:41 pm
Dad, I see it much the same.  I know a PA Dad who's son played for PA.  He is a great guy and perhaps the, heck he is the main reason the Fallen Firefighters Memorial is on the capital grounds.  He is now retired.  His son was a good player.  So, I have an interest in PA on that note.  In 06 when PA came to Wynne and won the semi final by one point, I figured that was perhaps the greatest game in high school in Arkansas of all time.  Greenwood proved that wrong the following week by winning the title against PA.  Last season I talked with a man from SH during a playoff game in Wynne.  PA had an RB that was courted by PA to come on over.  Just saying.  If I had a son the caliber of a Knighten or Green or just pick a D1 prospect, I would probably look close at getting him in PA if I lived in the area.  But in the end a school with 450 students (Shiloh back in the Gus days) should never be able to step on a field with public school that has 1200 or 1500 students and compete, it just don't happen.  So getting top quality athletes does seem to be a normality with any private school.  So I would have to say it is jealousy mixed with a bit of disappointment.  Or as we say in NASCAR, "I cant stand Jimmy Johnson".  All Jimmy does is drive the car.  All those kids do is play the game.  Get it?

I may be one of the few, but I can attest to some parents making huge sacrifices to send their kids to PA. My parents decided the education and environment at PA were worth the cost, but in order to afford the tuition, we lived in a very rough part of LR for quite a few years, and our only "family vacation" in my 12 years at PA was driving to New Orleans so my dad could look at culinary schools for when he retired from the fire department.

My point is that while the majority of families at PA are very very blessed financially, there are also plenty of families like mine that gave up a lot of things to be able to attend there.

I'd also like to point out that I was never any good at football, or any sport for that matter, but I cherish my time playing for Coach Kelley, Coach Wood and all the others who helped shape me into the man I have become.

Can't argue with a post like that. Good to hear from you DT. You're one of the old school guys of FF.

DT

Quote from: AirWarren on September 04, 2015, 08:52:49 pm

Can't argue with a post like that. Good to hear from you DT. You're one of the old school guys of FF.

My family also has deep roots in Warren. My cousin and Bo Hembree are best friends.

My dad, who is a Lumberjack, and I love catching Warren's games when we can, especially at War Memorial. Watching Reid McKinney go up against Booneville in 2001 was a special night.

jaxalum2008

Wow! It only took a year to "figure" out Highland Park. That is impressive! Yes, PA won last year, but this time around, PA is making it look easy with a shutout to this point in addition of putting up their own points. Looks like this game resembles a 5A arkansas conference game. This is scary if PA is going to be THIS dominant.

AirWarren

Quote from: DT on September 04, 2015, 09:09:17 pm
Quote from: AirWarren on September 04, 2015, 08:52:49 pm

My family also has deep roots in Warren. My cousin and Bo Hembree are best friends.

My dad, who is a Lumberjack, and I love catching Warren's games when we can, especially at War Memorial. Watching Reid McKinney go up against Booneville in 2001 was a special night.

That's awesome. I am going to come to the PA game this year and watch PA kill our younglings. HA

MB Hog

September 10, 2015, 01:34:41 pm #177 Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 02:42:08 pm by MB Hog
Quote from: MDXPHD on August 13, 2015, 07:53:54 am
There are multiple reasons. The main ones are voiced above, the media being a big one. You are lying to yourself if you think the majority of the parents send their kids there because of academics. I'm sure PA is a great school. People just don't like private schools in Arkansas because of the obvious unfair advantages they have over the public schools. It's clear in a lot of sports, not just football. The worst is probably soccer in 4/5A classifications. Go look at the previous state champions, especially 5A girls (take Harrison out, they are an exception). Like stated above, when PA wins the state championship in something, or another private school, people aren't impressed. When they lose, people think they should have won. It's not a good situation to be in from a "wanting to be liked" perspective, but it definitely is in terms of "wanting to win." 

(this thread is likely to get locked if we talk bad about PA)
I don't know that I would call the private school advantage in soccer "unfair."  My daughter plays for PA, so I've seen almost every game first hand the past two years.  Yes, it is obvious in watching the games that we have a private-school advantage in talent (along with LRCA) in the current 5A, but it is simply because the majority of the girls on those teams grew up playing soccer on club teams.  Most of the teams we play in the 5A Central have very few, if any, club players.  Some of those teams barely have enough players to field a team, and I figure the coaches have to beg, borrow, and steal to get some of the players to sign up.

One advantage, to a certain degree, is the fact that playing club soccer requires a financial commitment (not huge, but significant enough) that either keeps some girls from having the chance to play, or causes them to drop soccer in favor of other sports... or drop sports altogether.  So, by default, the private schools in our conference tend to have more experienced players on our teams... financially able to commit to club soccer, but not recruited to the private schools for soccer.

That said, the Harrison girls grow up playing club soccer and they have a terrific program.  NWA schools have great soccer, too, but now that Shiloh is in 4A, I don't think there are any other 5A schools in NWA.  It looks like Batesville has a nice program, too, but we've not crossed paths with them in the two years my daughter has been playing for PA.

Central Arkansas public schools also have several excellent soccer teams, but they are in higher classifications.  Central, NLR, Cabot, Conway, and Bryant all come to mind.

Back to my original point.  The 5A (and 4A) private schools do have an advantage in soccer, but I wouldn't call it an unfair advantage.

sevenof400

Note: I am bringing this topic back to the top to help direct discussion which belongs in this thread to this thread.  Please see my comment in the OP.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas