• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Atkins at Lamar

Started by MICHAELSPAPPY, September 18, 2017, 06:51:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MICHAELSPAPPY

No idea at all what outcome to expect here. We did not learn much from the Mt. Ida game except that they are very good and that Lamar has a way to go yet, both of which we already knew.

Proud Buckaroo

I think Atkins wins this game. Lamar is young. They will definitely learn from the Mt Ida game.

macadoshis

I think we'll see how good Lamar's secondary is this week.  I think Harris had 300+ yards passing and like 4 TDs.  If weather is decent and Atkins does much of the same, we'll see how good they are. I wasn't surprised with last week's outcome.  I didn't think Lamar would be able to stop Ida's running attack.  I was very surprised Lamar didn't run the ball any better than they did.  I've been very impressed with the offensive line so through the first two games.  If they can get that back on track then I think this could be a closer game.  You always wanna win your Homecoming game and I think the Warriors fall short this week. 

MICHAELSPAPPY

I would love to see a little consistency now. Emotions of the Clarksville game, then one blowout each direction. That is all finished now. Let's get down to business. I still think this team could be pretty fair.

CoolBreeze

Atkins BIG. Lamar is weaker than some on this board seemed to think.

Red Devil Dad

Atkins has to keep the turnovers down this week.  If they do they should win pretty easily, I'm sure Lamar's secondary is improved from last year.  If so they may be able to keep the game close, but don't go to sleep on the Red Devils run game.  They have 3 backs they rotate that can take it to the house any play.  I'm interested to see how our defense plays this week.  They have looked solid so far, but Dover was the only real competition and they gave that game away. 

macadoshis

This is a tough game for Lamar to start with after the way the game went for them last week.  It doesn't get any easier.  A more balanced attack for the Red Devils will keep the Warriors guessing. If they lay an egg this week I could easily see the rest of the season unfolding exactly like it did last year.  First conference game is really a must win for the Warriors. Lose this week and you're fighting it out for a 3-5 spot again this year.  O-line play was better this year in the two games I watched. I don't know if it fell off or if Ida's defense was that good.   Anxious to see how the big boys play this week.  They will determine how the season goes from here.  With all that being said.  I have the Red Devils winning by three scores and spoiling the Warriors Homecoming right. 

MICHAELSPAPPY

Hootens has Atkins by only 2, which sort of surprises me. I thought it would be considerably more.

But Lamar has had some good stretches, and being young they probably will improve more over the course of the season than most teams.

macadoshis

Same Hootens that had Ida by 10.   They have a good pick % but if they went by the points they pick I would bet they'd be about 30% or less.  I hope its a good game.  Will be tough game without all the distraction of homecoming festivities.  Add the fact that Atkins revels in any opportunity to beat the brakes off Lamar.  Plus they have the opportunity to spoil Lamar's homecoming so they'll be more than hyped for sure. 

Best Seats in the House

I agree with Pappy.  Despite the losses and should they lose Friday, this team could potentially just get better. The preseason losses will not be a predictor of this team's end of season abilities since the youth on this team will continue to improve.  A long as they don't get in their own heads, I am still very optimistic. 

macadoshis

Its fine to be optimistic.   Were all optimistic every year.   But you have to be realsitic also.   They are very young.  And of course they'll get better as the year goes.  After four games I think they'll be 1-3.   It's going to be hard to go down from there.   I think they'll finish with the same record as last year.  Then next year you'll start seeing some improvement. 

beach bum

This will all come down to how well can Lamar cover the pass? If they can do that I think they'll make this a competitive game. Not saying they will win but they might be able to make this closer than we think.

macadoshis

Quote from: beach bum on September 19, 2017, 08:52:31 pm
This will all come down to how well can Lamar cover the pass? If they can do that I think they'll make this a competitive game. Not saying they will win but they might be able to make this closer than we think.
Harris will have 300 yards passing,  3 TDs passing and rush for another in a 42-13 victory

athletic supporter

Quote from: macadoshis on September 20, 2017, 03:33:33 pm
Harris will have 300 yards passing,  3 TDs passing and rush for another in a 42-13 victory

Stop it Lou Holtz! No way Atkins beats Lamar that bad.

macadoshis

Quote from: athletic supporter on September 20, 2017, 05:45:46 pm
Lol,  love it.   Mark my word.  Come back on here late Friday and tell Lou Holtz he was correct.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: macadoshis on September 20, 2017, 08:07:46 pm
Lol,  love it.   Mark my word.  Come back on here late Friday and tell Lou Holtz he was correct.
+1

jazdill

I agree with coolbreeze that lamar might not be as strong as some on this board seem to think. I also feel that Atkins is not nearly as good  as some believe they are. According to Atkins fateful they are not strong enough at the qb position this year to run their offensive system. They have had a all-conf caliber qb ever year since coach cody arrived and implemeted his system. I have heard big things about the red devils jr high qb and i must say he was the bright spot for atkins tonight in a other wise terrible game for atkins. He is definitely their qb in the waiting. Very quick release and able to make all the quick throws coach codys system demands. I would have to agree with atkins fateful that he could start on sr high team this year.

athletic supporter

Quote from: jazdill on September 21, 2017, 10:37:41 pm
I agree with coolbreeze that lamar might not be as strong as some on this board seem to think. I also feel that Atkins is not nearly as good  as some believe they are. According to Atkins fateful they are not strong enough at the qb position this year to run their offensive system. They have had a all-conf caliber qb ever year since coach cody arrived and implemeted his system. I have heard big things about the red devils jr high qb and i must say he was the bright spot for atkins tonight in a other wise terrible game for atkins. He is definitely their qb in the waiting. Very quick release and able to make all the quick throws coach codys system demands. I would have to agree with atkins fateful that he could start on sr high team this year.

Wow!

Red Devil Dad

I assure you Atkins is fine at QB.  This year and years to come. 

Longfellow

Quote from: Red Devil Dad on September 22, 2017, 08:08:50 am
I assure you Atkins is fine at QB.  This year and years to come.
From what I've heard, the kid is pretty salty. They said he could sling it

jazdill

It will be exciting watching this kid the next 3yrs. He is a diff maker for sure. Always tough for a sophomore to start at QB but he looks like one of the special kids who can pull it off.

macadoshis

Everyone come out and meet Lou Holtz tonight at the game. I'll be signing autographs during the forth quarter.

macadoshis

September 22, 2017, 08:02:27 pm #22 Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 08:03:59 pm by macadoshis
Quote from: athletic supporter on September 20, 2017, 05:45:46 pm
Not sure on his yards at the half but I'd guess he's already over halfway there and he already has his 3 td passes

macadoshis

I think there was a Lou Holtz sighting in Lamar tonight

athletic supporter

Good visiting with you tonight. Lamar is young and they will get better as the season goes on.

athletic supporter

I'm so proud of the Red Devils performance last night. It was a total beatdown. The offense looked good, but the defense was DOMINANT. Lamar scored a TD very late as Coach Jones decided to leave his starters in on offense to score on the Red Devils second/third team defense. Classy as always Coach.

Best Seats in the House

September 23, 2017, 08:31:43 am #26 Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 08:42:29 am by Best Seats in the House
As opposed to rolling over and giving up? No, you play till the buzzer and teach your players to not quit.  It wasn't a mercy rule. You keep playing.  We've all been in games where capitalizing on a late turn over changes the scenario.  But... the Red Devils were impressive and earned their win.  No argument there.  Congratulations and good luck on the rest of your season.  Please go do the same to Charleston.  ;)

jazdill

September 23, 2017, 09:52:32 am #27 Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 09:59:22 am by jazdill
Classy? I do believe Atkins is the king of running up the score so the coach can sprint to the phone and call in to drive time sports to tell Randy about how dominate Atkins is. Went on for a lot of years. The sr that scored the TD late in ball game was #23.  I pretty sure that is the first TD he has ever scored on a friday night.

athletic supporter

No coach from Atkins has EVER called Randy on Friday night to report a score. If you're going to mouth at least know what you're talking about.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: athletic supporter on September 23, 2017, 01:55:20 pm
No coach from Atkins has EVER called Randy on Friday night to report a score. If you're going to mouth at least know what you're talking about.

Then whose the guy who names off all those nick names? Lol.

macadoshis

September 23, 2017, 03:21:52 pm #30 Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 03:45:44 pm by macadoshis
I remember that guy.  Good stuff for sure.  I don't think that was any coach though. 

athletic supporter

He is the FORMER play by play guy on the radio broadcast. Huge difference from a coach

macadoshis

Maybe he coached some pee wee football or some little league baseball lol.

jazdill

September 23, 2017, 06:37:27 pm #33 Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 06:39:24 pm by jazdill
No coach ever called in to DTS from atkins? Heard him many many times!!! Always enjoyed the old play by play guy myself.

Shoe21

Quote from: Best Seats in the House on September 23, 2017, 08:31:43 am
As opposed to rolling over and giving up? No, you play till the buzzer and teach your players to not quit.  It wasn't a mercy rule. You keep playing.  We've all been in games where capitalizing on a late turn over changes the scenario.  But... the Red Devils were impressive and earned their win.  No argument there.  Congratulations and good luck on the rest of your season.  Please go do the same to Charleston.  ;)

You must have forgot that their were 2 touchdowns called back which would have made the score 49-3........the mystery flags were getting dropped like always..

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas