• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sportsmanship??

Started by bballfan36, February 05, 2006, 12:48:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bballfan36

Friday night the Strong Lady Bulldogs played a conference game against the Norphlet Lady Leopards.  The starters played the first quarter and after the subs went scoreless for all of the second quarter, the coach put the starters back in for the last two minutes of the second half.  At halftime the score was 52-8.  Second half-starters never touch the floor, and the Lady Bulldogs win with a score of 65-30. 

Unbelievably, the Norphlet fans were screaming at the coach for playing the starters for a quarter and 2 minutes, going on and on about how unsportsmanlike her behavior was.  This was a conference game.  What do you think - is it really showing bad sportsmanship to allow the starters to play?  For the last 10 of 11 games, this has been the trend - starters play maybe a quarter.  This coach is known for playing the entire bench, when the game allows. 

Hartford_rox

Somethin similar happened at Hartford last night when we played Westside.. Our coach let the second string play the second quarter.. Then the W-side coach said that he was startin the bus back and leavin if he played the starters at all.. Of course our coach did in the 3rd quarter bc he woulda pressed.. I think the Unsportsman like conduct came from the other coach rather from ours.. Jus like Strong didnt do ne thing wrong.. Its a conference game and they should understand that they cant let a W slip away.. they need to secure it ne way possible...

John M.

If a coach only played his starters for 1 quarter and 2 minutes there is no way that is unsportsmanlike.It's not the coaches fault if the opposing team is that pathetic.She needs to get her starters some time on the floor.If the subs played more than starters then in my opinion she was being very kind.

ColonelReb

yeah i mean it's game night...im sure the starters need SOME PT right?

unleasheddad

It's one thing to leave your starters in with a 30 pt. lead and pressing until late in the 4th qtr. and another thing to give your starters some pt.  Your starters need the playing time to get better, but how much better do you get when its a blowout?  Some coaches even leave a couple of starters in to help them "pad their stats" while subbing in two or three others.  I think this is also "bad sportsmanship" on the coaches part.  With 25-30 pt leads and the mercy rule in effect, why not make sure all of your players have an opportunity to play. But this is only my opinion, since I am a parent of a player who doesn't see much pt unless it is late in a "blowout".

wonderboys

I don't think that that is poor sportsmanship at all. If it was me I would tell them to take their 35pt loss home and be cheerful that they didn't get be by 60. 8)

ColonelReb

haha indeed. they shoulda done that anyway:)

Armchair

Friday nite a jr boys team had a 20 pt lead late 3rd or early 4th qtr.  The team in lead has all non-starters in the game and the trailer has his starters press the subs.  The other coach put a couple of starters back in, scored 6 straight and then removed them again.  The trailing coach subbed out also.

the moral of the story:  when someone calls off the dogs, don't sic your dogs on the puppies!

ColonelReb

CHAMPION_#1

Bleachermom

Quote from: Armchair on February 05, 2006, 05:11:45 pm
Friday nite a jr boys team had a 20 pt lead late 3rd or early 4th qtr. The team in lead has all non-starters in the game and the trailer has his starters press the subs. The other coach put a couple of starters back in, scored 6 straight and then removed them again. The trailing coach subbed out also.

the moral of the story: when someone calls off the dogs, don't sic your dogs on the puppies!

Right on the money.

wonderboys

Quote from: Armchair on February 05, 2006, 05:11:45 pm
Friday nite a jr boys team had a 20 pt lead late 3rd or early 4th qtr. The team in lead has all non-starters in the game and the trailer has his starters press the subs. The other coach put a couple of starters back in, scored 6 straight and then removed them again. The trailing coach subbed out also.

the moral of the story: when someone calls off the dogs, don't sic your dogs on the puppies!

Danville has had two different coaches press their subs when Danville took out the starters with a big lead in Jr. Girls. Coach Watson was nice enough to let a 25pt. lead get all the way down to about 14 or so and he never put any starters back in.

ColonelReb

PopTart Man

Same thing happend to us:
We played Magnet Cove one time and were winning by 20+ at the end of the third. Fourth quarter came around and we put in the guys who hadn't gotten to play all season. The MC coach left his starters in and pressed the whole time. They still ended up losing by 6 or so. I can understand wanting to win a game, but he should have just took the loss and subbed.

Just like Grandma used to say "Cheaters never win."

footballfan

The Norphlet fans should feel lucky the team didn't play one coached by the guy in New York, who allowed his star player to put up 113 points against a very, very bad team. Earlier in the year this coach's team had won by 90-plus points. Ferguson at Strong does a very humane job coaching a spectacular team against clearly inferior opponents. I've seen football coaches do the same thing. The starters go up 28-0 in the first quarter, subs play all of the second quarter, then the starters play the first series of the third quarter. That's hardly running up a score or showing poor sportsmanship.

ColonelReb

or just playing a new D or something or running new offenses they've been trying to learn

wickawhat

Yeah I say let'em have it. The other night We were up 50-11 at halftime on Westside and I was telling all of our guys to hit 100 points. haha. If a team sucks....well it's not our fault.

Hartford_rox

Gah ur mean.. I dont kno you...

orion

Strong is trying to get ready for another championship run. They can't do that if their starters don't get any playing time heading into the postseason. If the fans in Norphlet don't understand that, that's their fault. Coach Ferguson has gone out of her way to be nice to other teams in the conference. If Norphlet's parents don't want their little girls to be embarrassed, they should encourage them to work harder at basketball.
Perhaps having parents that whine and complain about somebody else being too good is part of the problem with the Lady Leopards' athletic program.

ColonelReb

exactly...gotta get the starters PT for another championship

johnharrison

Sounds to me like they would have gotten better experience by scrimmaging with their own second team.

ColonelReb

hahah...well i wasn't gonna go that far

wickawhat

Quote from: Hartford_rox on February 06, 2006, 08:59:30 pm
Gah ur mean.. I dont kno you...

hahahaha yes you do....and gah is my word. Stop stealing my words. gah

Hartford_rox

w/e your word is Goo.. not gah.. gah get it right idiot.. :)

ColonelReb

googoo gah gah...all the same

CHAMPION_#1

if i was strong, then the next time i played them i would try and beat them by the most amount of points i could. i would teach the other team to not whine and be glad they didnt get beat by 60.

ColonelReb

be glad they didn't get beat by 70

Hartford_rox

wickawhat

but 71....thats a whole nother ball park.

ColonelReb

if they meet again, i hope strong takes it to them and mercy rules them in the 1st QUARTER!

ColonelReb

this thread has absolutely nothing to do with hackett's sportsmanship...or a team's sportsmanship...it's what strong did to whatever team they played...jacksmack

wickawhat

Im guessing something was deleted?

chilly gilly

Norphlet fans can get over that can of whoop Strong put on them. Lets face it pimps, the state championship runs through Strong & Hwy.82! If we(EUDORA LADY BADGERS & EVERYONE ELSE) dont get off our collective butts and start working 8 days a week, 730.5 days a year, then expect to get BLAMMED by a good team like the LADY BULLDAWGS. I seen them YOUNG JITTYBUGS beat the brakes off of Bergman last year! It didnt take me long to realize that if i wanted to be on center stage at the ARENA, then i got to do the thangs that Strong do to be at least on the court with them & being able to compete! KEEP IT PIMPIN!!!!!!

chilly gilly

By the way, GO LADY BADGERS!!!!!!   

ColonelReb

yeah someone named hackett_fan got on here and said hackett had good sportsmanship
Quote from: wickawhat on February 09, 2006, 12:10:02 am
Im guessing something was deleted?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas