• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should batesville move to 6a?

Started by YELLOWJACKETS20, July 22, 2015, 04:13:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

YELLOWJACKETS20

Hatchet

tmycjy

No they should not and why is what is there enrollment number that fair if there number are what making them 6-A then it's fine if there number make them 5-A then that fine that's fair my my thing I don't like is combining 5-A and 6-A together to beenafite a few schools

Lionheart88

Quote from: YELLOWJACKETS20 on July 22, 2015, 04:13:09 am
Why not?
Why would they?  No one else in 5A is just arbitrarily moving to 6A.

SUGARTOWN

Why not?

Probably need to try winning the 5A title a few times before this is even a relevant topic...and even then the answer is no.

Youngsta71701

MDXPHD

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 22, 2015, 10:18:48 am
Why not?

Why? Who's scared of Batesville?

I'm not sure who is scared of them. I know that's nothing CF has to worry about for a few years, since they would only see Batesville in the playoffs. Maybe CF can sneak is a 3/4 seed though.

wildboy44

Quote from: MDXPHD on July 22, 2015, 10:57:53 am
Why not?

I'm not sure who is scared of them. I know that's nothing CF has to worry about for a few years, since they would only see Batesville in the playoffs. Maybe CF can sneak is a 3/4 seed though.
Maybe we will. I think we have a 1-1 record against Batesville in recent years. Both were great games. Probably the toughest teams we have met physically. You guys always have great game plans for us. Maybe this is the year for Batesville?

Rocko1493

As far as school size Batesville is nowhere near the size classification as a 6a

The_Pioneer

I believe we're closer to 4A than 6A at this point.  We could compete in 6A but our lack of athletes would haunt us.  We've not fared well against Jonesboro to this point.  Searcy and Mtn Home have been victories. 

The Future

Before wanting to up the difficulty, you need to prove the 5A is too easy of a challenge.
Win a couple 5A titles and then we can talk about that.

Just be careful what you wish for. The top dogs here in 6A bite a bit harder than those 5A top dogs. 

The_Pioneer

You might try a little reading comprehension.  No one from Batesville is itching to move up.  OP is from elsewhere.  No idea why they want us to move to 6A.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: The_Pioneer on July 22, 2015, 04:56:09 pm
You might try a little reading comprehension.  No one from Batesville is itching to move up.  OP is from elsewhere.  No idea why they want us to move to 6A.

Maybe he's from a conference for that wants them gone...

Intelligentsia

Now if we want to talk about P.A. moving to 6-A, you have a discussion with legs :o. They would compete well in 6-A, it might help the recruitment efforts (that's student recruitment for those whose hackles are raised at with the accusation of athletic recruitment), and they could improve with some conference competition.  The only reason that would bother me is losing PA Dad to the 6-A board :)

PA Dad

Quote from: Intelligentsia on July 22, 2015, 07:29:23 pm
Now if we want to talk about P.A. moving to 6-A, you have a discussion with legs :o. They would compete well in 6-A, it might help the recruitment efforts (that's student recruitment for those whose hackles are raised at with the accusation of athletic recruitment), and they could improve with some conference competition.  The only reason that would bother me is losing PA Dad to the 6-A board :)

Thanks Intelligentsia.  That's a great compliment.

I actually suggested last year that I'd like to see PA move up to 6A.  I realize that would mean many more losses for PA, but I think it would be more exciting football.  I mean no disrespect for 5A.  Certainly Batesville, Wynne, CF (at least in the past), and other teams are great opponents.  But, in our conference,  the competition is just not there and many of the games are boring.

It ain't going to happen but it's fun to imagine what would happen if it did.

The_Pioneer

At least you guys aren't the cowards that Shiloh turned out to be.  Someone punched them back and they went crawling back down to a lower class.

PA Dad

Quote from: The_Pioneer on July 22, 2015, 08:03:24 pm
At least you guys aren't the cowards that Shiloh turned out to be.  Someone punched them back and they went crawling back down to a lower class.

What happened to Shiloh?  They were dominant and now they have disappeared.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: PA Dad on July 22, 2015, 08:24:19 pm
Quote from: The_Pioneer on July 22, 2015, 08:03:24 pm

What happened to Shiloh?  They were dominant and now they have disappeared.

Spotlight got shown on their bagman and the talent stayed where it was.

Last game Shiloh played in this classification had their best player leaving via ambulance.  They ran from 5A like scalded dogs.

Razorback Red

Quote from: PA Dad on July 22, 2015, 07:43:59 pm

I actually suggested last year that I'd like to see PA move up to 6A.  I realize that would mean many more losses for PA, but I think it would be more exciting football.  I mean no disrespect for 5A.  Certainly Batesville, Wynne, CF (at least in the past), and other teams are great opponents.  But, in our conference,  the competition is just not there and many of the games are boring.

I agree PA Dad that it would be fun to see PA in 6A.  I think they would be one of the top 6 teams (assuming current top 5 are GW, ED, PB, Benton and Jonesboro).  PA would add another great team to the mix and improve the overall conference. 

It will not happen any time soon, but I still like the idea of doing away with 7A and just having the top 32 teams in 6A.  I believe the six teams I mention above could compete with most current 7A teams.  There might be an exception from year to year, but overall my opinion is it would improve the overall competition in the state to get the most-talented 12-15 teams in the same conference. 

The Future

Quote from: HF on July 22, 2015, 05:25:11 pm
Quote from: The_Pioneer on July 22, 2015, 04:56:09 pm

Maybe he's from a conference for that wants them gone...

I know noone from Batesville is itching to move up. I was simply answering the said question of should Batesville move up to 6A.

And as far as HFs post goes, couldn't be more wrong. In fact i think it was the other way around. Batesville wanted Greenwood gone lol. Im sure Greenwood would enjoy having Batesville back in the same class.

PA Dad

Quote from: Razorback Red on July 22, 2015, 09:07:03 pm

I agree PA Dad that it would be fun to see PA in 6A.  I think they would be one of the top 6 teams (assuming current top 5 are GW, ED, PB, Benton and Jonesboro).  PA would add another great team to the mix and improve the overall conference. 

It will not happen any time soon, but I still like the idea of doing away with 7A and just having the top 32 teams in 6A.  I believe the six teams I mention above could compete with most current 7A teams.  There might be an exception from year to year, but overall my opinion is it would improve the overall competition in the state to get the most-talented 12-15 teams in the same conference.

That's a very interesting proposal.  While I think PA could compete in 6A, I'm not sure PA could hang with the top 7A teams.  Most of those teams have much more depth and more athletes than PA.  But it would be great fun to try it and see!

Razorback Red

Quote from: PA Dad on July 22, 2015, 09:21:57 pm

That's a very interesting proposal.  While I think PA could compete in 6A, I'm not sure PA could hang with the top 7A teams.  Most of those teams have much more depth and more athletes than PA.  But it would be great fun to try it and see!

Just looking at last year, I think there were only 5 teams that were clearly better than PA at the end of the season: Bville, Fville, NLR, Conway and PB.  Outside of those 5, I think PA would have had a shot to beat any other team.  NS and SS were both tough (but inconsistent) as were Bryant, GW and Benton, but I think PA is right up there.  It sure would be fun to see them play a PB or GW just to see. 

PA Dad

Quote from: Razorback Red on July 22, 2015, 09:29:59 pm
Quote from: PA Dad on July 22, 2015, 09:21:57 pm

Just looking at last year, I think there were only 5 teams that were clearly better than PA at the end of the season: Bville, Fville, NLR, Conway and PB.  Outside of those 5, I think PA would have had a shot to beat any other team.  NS and SS were both tough (but inconsistent) as were Bryant, GW and Benton, but I think PA is right up there.  It sure would be fun to see them play a PB or GW just to see.

I agree that PA could have competed last year.  And I think PA would have had a chance to beat any team in the state in 2011.  But those were exceptional teams.  I just don't know that PA could compete year in and year out.

Intelligentsia

Depth at 7-A is a difference maker at the line of scrimmage. PA would compete well in 6-A, playing an entire season would be tough, however, considering their numbers.  And while they would play some 7-A teams well for a game, they could not compete in that league; be so beat up by the end of the season, they would be fortunate to make it past the first round of the playoffs - IMO.

PA Dad

Quote from: Intelligentsia on July 22, 2015, 09:52:17 pm
Depth at 7-A is a difference maker at the line of scrimmage. PA would compete well in 6-A, playing an entire season would be tough, however, considering their numbers.  And while they would play some 7-A teams well for a game, they could not compete in that league; be so beat up by the end of the season, they would be fortunate to make it past the first round of the playoffs - IMO.

I agree.  But, I'd still like to see PA play more 6A and 7a teams.  Even if we lose the competition would be better.  One thing I admire about Coach Kelley is that he attempts to schedule the best teams he can in non-conference play.  He is not afraid of losing and realizes that stiff competition improves his team.  I know Coach King thinks the same way because he plays Jonesboro every year.

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on July 22, 2015, 10:00:19 pm

I agree.  But, I'd still like to see PA play more 6A and 7a teams.  Even if we lose the competition would be better.  One thing I admire about Coach Kelley is that he attempts to schedule the best teams he can in non-conference play.  He is not afraid of losing and realizes that stiff competition improves his team.  I know Coach King thinks the same way because he plays Jonesboro every year.

He doesn't have a choice. The only halfway decent teams that PA plays are out of conference. They should play non-conference and then just scrimmage themselves every Friday night for the rest of the season as long as they are in the Central.

PA Dad

July 22, 2015, 10:30:58 pm #27 Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 12:20:37 pm by PA Dad
Quote from: MDXPHD on July 22, 2015, 10:21:37 pm

He doesn't have a choice. The only halfway decent teams that PA plays are out of conference. They should play non-conference and then just scrimmage themselves every Friday night for the rest of the season as long as they are in the Central.

I agree that central is a weak conference.  I disagree that Kelley doesn't have a choice with his non-conference scheduling.  He could schedule cream puffs to pad his win/loss record.  He doesn't. He schedules the best teams he can find who are willing to play PA.  I have heard, but can't prove, that some 6A/7a teams won't play PA because they don't want to chance a loss to a 5A team.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: PA Dad on July 22, 2015, 10:30:58 pm
Quote from: MDXPHD on July 22, 2015, 10:21:37 pm

I agree that central is a weak conference.  I disagree that Kelley doesn't have a choice with his non-conference scheduling.  He could schedule cream puffs to pad his win/loss record.  He doesn't. He schedules the best teams he can find who is willing to play PA.  I have heard, but can't prove, that some 6A/7a teams won't play PA because they don't want to chance a loss to a 5A team.

It happens.

Intelligentsia

I applaud P.A. and Wynne for scheduling each other this fall.  Great matchup and safer than playing a larger division.  Our series with Springdale was interesting, but that were able to keep subbing in huge lineman increasing the risk of injury as our line got tired.  Jonesboro is as big a school as I care to play.

Youngsta71701

Why not?

Oh yeah, I'm not sure what seed we'll be but we will make the playoffs. And who knows we might get matched up with Batesville once again... ???

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 23, 2015, 09:15:28 am

The last matchup at Batesville was a dandy - a dominating first half by the Pioneers followed by a nearly successful second half CF comeback! 
Why not?

Oh yeah, I'm not sure what seed we'll be but we will make the playoffs. And who knows we might get matched up with Batesville once again... ???

sevenof400

Lost in this consideration would be the lack of Batesville's success in other sports.  As of late, I do not recall the Pioneers enjoying much success in sports other than football.  Can someone from Batesville (or familiar with the Pioneers) discuss the success of other sports programs?   

MDXPHD

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 23, 2015, 10:43:00 am
Lost in this consideration would be the lack of Batesville's success in other sports.  As of late, I do not recall the Pioneers enjoying much success in sports other than football.  Can someone from Batesville (or familiar with the Pioneers) discuss the success of other sports programs?

Girls Track/Volleyball are the main ones with any type of recent success (last few years). Boys soccer plays fine to be competitive in 5A, but they don't beat the teams like DeQueen (apparently, nobody else does the last couple of years either). So, just those two I would guess, but I'm probably missing something.

Oh, and Boys Basketball too.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 23, 2015, 10:43:00 am

Girls Basketball is enjoying a resurgence; the coming season promises to be quite promising.  As MX... mentioned, our volleyball program is one of the top in 5-A.  Girls track is quite strong, winning the conference and competing well at state.  We have some Boys track athletes doing well with the state triple jump champ, among others who do quite well.  I believe baseball and softball will compete well over the next couple of years.  All in all, our sports programs are doing well, with the boys basketball being a notable exception.

GuvHog

Quote from: Rocko1493 on July 22, 2015, 02:56:29 pm
As far as school size Batesville is nowhere near the size classification as a 6a

They aren't even the largest school in the 5A East.

HeberFan

Batesville doesn't have the enrollment for 6A. 

FD4

OK so I read this, size does have its advantages in some cases, and its only fair to stay within the alignments set forth by rule as to which classification to compete in.  That being said, I only have a couple comments. First off, why does Arkansas have six 11 on 11 classifications in football to begin with.  I have never understood this nor will I ever understand it.  I use Texas HSFB as an example.  I know they have 6 man down there but at that they only have an upper tier that runs out at 6A don't they, maybe 5A, cant remember right now.  Second, it does happen from time to time, much smaller schools have great teams that could simply put, man handle any of the upper classifications.  97 Barton, 09 Bearden and Junction City the past two seasons.  I personally watched that 09 Bearden play against McCrory in the playoffs and whip up on a team that was averaging 45 points per game with a plus 25 turn over margin. That same season I saw West Memphis, Marion, Wynne and when I say none of those guys could have scored against Bearden I mean it.  Junction beat Bearden in the finals.  That 97 Barton group beat Shiloh, and not only beat them, but put a hurtin on em. Junction over the past two seasons could easily compete in 7A, seen em, know it.  But in the end, size and numbers do matter.

Uncle Ivan

JC and Bearden absolutely could compete in 7A.

...for a half.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on July 29, 2015, 07:16:06 pm
JC and Bearden absolutely could compete in 7A.

...for a half.

If that.... the depth and talent level from 2a to 4a is a huge jump. Just by watching them first hand, Dover would have ran wild on every  2a top ten team except maybe junction city...

And ivan.... if bearden could compete in 7a past the opening coin toss... then 7a was lousy this year...

Uncle Ivan

On a one game basis, an absolutely loaded 2A team could hang till halftime.

But to the 4th quarter?  Doubtful.  Even talent gets tired.

It's likely the reason why JC doesn't play far up - they'd get smashed, & they know it.  Better to be the big fish in that small pond.

Wonderdog

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on July 29, 2015, 11:02:52 pm
On a one game basis, an absolutely loaded 2A team could hang till halftime.

But to the 4th quarter?  Doubtful.  Even talent gets tired.

It's likely the reason why JC doesn't play far up - they'd get smashed, & they know it.  Better to be the big fish in that small pond.
Place an NFL style scenario on the game. A certain number being the roster limit, in this instance, lets use 40 as the maximum on roster. I think JC beats most 7A teams this past season in this scenario. Obviously not the top tiers like Benny, Fayetteville, and maybe one or two others. JC had the johnny's and joe's to do it in this "made up" format last year.

MDXPHD

Quote from: FD4 on July 29, 2015, 01:56:40 pm
Junction over the past two seasons could easily compete in 7A, seen em, know it.  But in the end, size and numbers do matter.

::) JC would get mopped by the better teams of 7,6, and 5A. Without a doubt.

FD4

Junction dressed out 45 players or so last season.  Shut down Hazen's offense. OK so depth will take its toll in a 4th quarter situation, some of the time, and should if your say a Fortsmith Northside or a Fayetteville against the likes of say Bearden or JC in the recent past.  So now my case in point.

Shiloh playing in 2A tied Springdale of the 7A, explain that one.  McCrory in 76 playing in class 1A tied Osceola plaing in Class 3A. Then there were the back to back wins Parkin had over Wynne in the 70's. Even Wynne in the Campbell days had so many two way players you didn't need half the 50 guys or so that dressed out, and yet won championships.  Not saying it would go each and every year, to quote a JC poster, that is why we do have the classifications.  I would however like see David take on Goliath more often.  I believe last season one of those schools down south (AA) took their varsity and played against the El D JV squad so you do what you have to do sometimes. 

To back up your comment UI, for a half, sometimes that is a victory in itself.  When any team can play up and compete its a sign of good talent and coaching.  I mean after all, the AAA stopped the overall basketball state champion because Guy Perkins Girls absolutely made a mockery of the upper classifications back in the day.

MDXPHD

Quote from: FD4 on July 30, 2015, 10:36:55 am

To back up your comment UI, for a half, sometimes that is a victory in itself.  When any team can play up and compete its a sign of good talent and coaching.  I mean after all, the AAA stopped the overall basketball state champion because Guy Perkins Girls absolutely made a mockery of the upper classifications back in the day.

No. It's not.

And basketball is entirely different than football. Classifications and size don't have near the impact in basketball that it does in football.

Grond

BATESVILLE TO 6A
No. They already play 'up' in preseason games. But the other sports programs at Batesville (such as basketball) are quite "average".

CLASSIFICATION DEBATE
Yes, there are lower classes that can beat upper classes. But, "you play to win the game". Managing your personnel to be as competitive in the 4th quarter, as you are in the 1st, is important.

Believe me, I know. Can't tell you how many times Paragould was close at the half, then got beat. Guess what? It was still a loss!

The_Pioneer

Quote from: Grond on July 30, 2015, 12:18:32 pm
BATESVILLE TO 6A
No. They already play 'up' in preseason games. But the other sports programs at Batesville (such as basketball) are quite "average".

I think you mean just basketball.  Batesville baseball has been the class of 5A over the last 2 decades.  Girls athletics are strong with multiple state titles. 

Razorback Red

Quote from: MDXPHD on July 30, 2015, 08:27:47 am
Quote from: FD4 on July 29, 2015, 01:56:40 pm
Junction over the past two seasons could easily compete in 7A, seen em, know it.  But in the end, size and numbers do matter.

::) JC would get mopped by the better teams of 7,6, and 5A. Without a doubt.

And more than likely the elite 4A teams.  I know JC has been on a roll of late, but I'd like to see if they could hang with Warren or another elite 4A school before we begin the crazy talk of competing with 6A and 7A teams. 

FD4

I mean no need to get mad about this Mr. MD, we all know a small school year end and out cant hang.  When I said I saw JC play, and I did, I also saw the best the 5A had to offer, and based on that, JC could have scored on any of them, Wynne, Batesville, PA, you name it.  Those guys were that good.  Their fans were even better, as finally Hazen scored a late TD, the JC fans gave em a standing O.  Maybe its just me, but no matter who is on the field, even if Wynne, my home town, was playing against Possum City, I am taking the underdog.  That is just how it goes.  When you have seen as much talent on the fields in high school that I have, you know what would win and what wouldn't.  I mean after all, I could name some High School All Americans from Arkansas I have seen play which most of you never heard of.

zebradynasty

Until JC does some serious upgrading to thier schedule no way should they ever be considered as being able to compete with 7A, 6A, 5A or even 4A best teams! It's near impossible to judge how good JC is playing against the level of competition they play against. Just because you can blow out teams with less than 30 players on their rosters doesn't mean you can beat Bentonville! That's not a knock on JC other than they need to prove it on the field or at least provide a better gauge of how good their team is than is than beating Hazen.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas