• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What makes a successful high school football program?

Started by Grond, June 07, 2015, 08:09:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grond

So, ever seen one of the books or info-mercials that talks about "The 7 Habits of Successful People"?

Why do some Arkansas sports programs make the playoffs EVERY YEAR?

Even though we are in the football local, good examples can come from any sport. And a school that goes from winning 1 football game a year to winning 5 football games per year is successful in my book!

PrivateLesson

PrivateLesson

June 07, 2015, 04:54:55 pm #2 Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 05:02:27 pm by PrivateLesson
Drive, Determination and Desire......the will to win and it doesn't hurt to have a little talent....the kids have to buy into the system....and the Coach has to be able to sell it.    Many variables besides tradition come into play....IMO. 

Stephen Covey wrote the book 7habits of highly effective people.   

Many Coaches on And off of Fearless have built programs that are successful....Alma, Charleston, Warren, Prescott, Booneville......Dardanelle did well last year.....Northside is coming back....Bentonville is now on a new journey this year....along with several other schools.

Intelligentsia

A good program must have a coach who can sell the players on a system, good assistant coaches who drill the system, and then work super hard.  Most folks says their kids work hard, but when they give me details of the time they spend working out and practicing, I laugh to myself.  That's the MO for Batesville, and I suspect for other consistently successful programs.

PrivateLesson

June 07, 2015, 06:43:46 pm #4 Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 06:45:49 pm by PrivateLesson
I hope this isn't taken the wrong way but I believe it helps to have a Coach who is constantly wanting to learn.....who dedicates himself not only to the players but also to the game.  Some coaches(certainly not all) sometimes portray that they "know it all".    I also don't mean this in a bad way either but some Coaches are just better at their profession than others.  Just because you get a Coaching degree or endorsement doesn't make you a winning coach.     A lot of good men are coaches, they lead in other ways, and not just on the field. 

Grond

Quote from: PrivateLesson on June 07, 2015, 06:43:46 pm
I hope this isn't taken the wrong way but I believe it helps to have a Coach who is constantly wanting to learn.....who dedicates himself not only to the players but also to the game.  Some coaches(certainly not all) sometimes portray that they "know it all".    I also don't mean this in a bad way either but some Coaches are just better at their profession than others.  Just because you get a Coaching degree or endorsement doesn't make you a winning coach.     A lot of good men are coaches, they lead in other ways, and not just on the field. 

Well said.  ;) When Lou Holtz was coach at Arkansas, there were t-shirts with the phrase: "When you are through getting better, you're through."

Successful coaches adjust to new tactics, and adjust to get the most out of the talent that they have.

Jimbo Morphis

Uncle Ivan

Recruiting, straight cash money, and horse steroids.

Grond

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on June 08, 2015, 11:51:04 am
Recruiting, straight cash money, and horse steroids.

Speaking of Batesville ... ;D

I think many of the more successful football programs now put as much emphasis on SPEED training as a part of weightlifting. I have no inside info, but they have excellent group speed (especially on defense). Making Average players into Good players.

Grizzlyfan

Building from the ground up at young ages.  Total buy in from the community.  Greenwood has done this better than anybody else.  Jones is a big part of that, obviously, but it also a characteristic of the community.

Someone mentioned Northside coming back.  I hope it continues but it is so difficult to get younger kids fully committed.  And even tougher to get parents bought it.  But obviously nothing like the Central Arkansas schools.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on June 08, 2015, 04:39:28 pm
Building from the ground up at young ages.  Total buy in from the community.  Greenwood has done this better than anybody else.  Jones is a big part of that, obviously, but it also a characteristic of the community.

Someone mentioned Northside coming back.  I hope it continues but it is so difficult to get younger kids fully committed.  And even tougher to get parents bought it.  But obviously nothing like the Central Arkansas schools.

No doubt he has done it well, but likely no better than several others across the state.  Greenwood, P.A., and a few others in proximity to larger towns, allow them to attract sports minded families into their district, either by freedom of choice or simply choosing to live in their district.  Wynne, Batesville, and those in other divisions without the benefit of a larger populations, are just as impressive.  IMO

GuvHog

Quote from: Intelligentsia on June 07, 2015, 06:27:10 pm
A good program must have a coach who can sell the players on a system, good assistant coaches who drill the system, and then work super hard.  Most folks says their kids work hard, but when they give me details of the time they spend working out and practicing, I laugh to myself.  That's the MO for Batesville, and I suspect for other consistently successful programs.

I agree. My family moved to Mountain Pine in 1971. Their Senior High football team had gone 2 straight years without winning a game which lead to the termination of the football coach and the hiring of a new HC named Stanley May. He moved some players around and the team bought in to his philosophy. The first game was at home against the team that had won the Conference the year before (Mt Ida) and Mountain Pine won. The Red Devils went 5-5 that year and were undefeated the next 4 or 5 years. A good coach can do wonders for a football program.

FD4

Comes down to most of what has been posted.  In High School, that "who your parents are" thing has to be gotten rid of.  Good coaching will do that if the AD supports it.  I see it as this, Take Bill Snyder for instance, in my opinion the best D1 coach in the game then and now.  Wins with nothing, that is, very few blue chip scholarships and a lot of Juco players.  Bill has a simple mind set to the game, and a very thick play book.  It starts with family, and is centered around what he calls, 16 Goals, (for more on that just see Kansas State Football & the 16 Goals).  When asked, how he would take KSU from the cellar to winning, he simply said, "we intend to be better today than we were yesterday, and better tomorrow than we are today".  After he retired, and KSU was on top of the Big 12, they fell to the bottom in 3 seasons.  The alum asked Bill to come back, he did, and again was asked the same question, to which he replied the same.  I feel that approach makes success, and it does work at the high school level.  Good stuff

Grond

Its seems the good programs are also WELL ORGANIZED.

One of the 'eye tests' used to be a good, organized huddle. Everyone in the proper spot, being quiet. It seemed like an unorganized team had an unorganized huddle: guys leaning in, people leaving early.

Even though a lot of high schools go "no huddle" today, you can still tell if the kids know what to do. Pulaski Academy seemed to have everyone where they were supposed to be. The linemen where in position, you didn't have receivers running back and forth. Ready to execute the play.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Grond on June 10, 2015, 12:08:25 pm
Its seems the good programs are also WELL ORGANIZED.

One of the 'eye tests' used to be a good, organized huddle. Everyone in the proper spot, being quiet. It seemed like an unorganized team had an unorganized huddle: guys leaning in, people leaving early.

Even though a lot of high schools go "no huddle" today, you can still tell if the kids know what to do. Pulaski Academy seemed to have everyone where they were supposed to be. The linemen where in position, you didn't have receivers running back and forth. Ready to execute the play.

Certainly a sign of a well organized system.

Hoghead2

Winning solves everything !!!   Tradition comes with winning, Fans come with winning, Money comes with winning ! State Titles come with winning !!!!!!   Winning builds programs !

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Hoghead2 on June 10, 2015, 11:36:24 pm
Winning solves everything !!!   Tradition comes with winning, Fans come with winning, Money comes with winning ! State Titles come with winning !!!!!!   Winning builds programs !
It certainly helps.....who doesn't like to win!   

27 Trap

Lot of truth here, think a coach should always  strive to improve each year,  always wanted to do a better job the next year than I did the last one... Players are in the same boat, you got  strive each year to improve and get better, same lesson applies to life, got to keep pushing on....Don't think we ever stop learning, always looking for better way  of doing things,  read the article on Coach Rick Jones in today's paper, great article about  great coach....

tmycjy

for Wynne it call tradition we won for so long that they expect to win every year and when the kids believe that they can win that half your battle for  team

spongebob

Having a school board and Administation that is not retarded helps.

Redbird88

PrivateLesson

Quote from: 27 Trap on June 28, 2015, 05:26:59 pm

Lot of truth here, think a coach should always  strive to improve each year,  always wanted to do a better job the next year than I did the last one... Players are in the same boat, you got  strive each year to improve and get better, same lesson applies to life, got to keep pushing on....Don't think we ever stop learning, always looking for better way  of doing things,  read the article on Coach Rick Jones in today's paper, great article about  great coach....
Thanks for saying that.   I hope you are doing well....so glad to see you posting.    Coach Jones works very hard from all I have heard and from the few games I have attended.    It's wonderful when Coaches have such dedication to kids and sports they love.   The benefits are something that will last forever in the lives they touch.   

27 Trap

Quote from: PrivateLesson on June 29, 2015, 06:59:19 am

Thanks for saying that.   I hope you are doing well....so glad to see you posting.    Coach Jones works very hard from all I have heard and from the few games I have attended.    It's wonderful when Coaches have such dedication to kids and sports they love.   The benefits are something that will last forever in the lives they touch.   

Thanks for asking about health, I am doing good, had operation last Nov. to remove two spots on lungs, had been clear for three years when those spots showed up...  I am on maintenance program now, take some chemo drugs every three weeks, they are supposed  to keep the cancer cells from becoming active , so far they have worked, last two CT Scans showed me to be clear, have another scheduled for next Monday....One thing I have realized is this, if you are in good health then you are blessed and lucky, these past seven years have been eye openers, have seen  way too many of friends who were taking chemo with me not make it....

One thing I have noticed is that when you see a program that is winning consistently then there is usually someone in charge who knows what he is doing, winning does not come by accident, a lot of thought and good planning is usually behind a successful program...Have always thought that football was a simple game and one thing that coaches do to screw it up is to try and do too much...Know Coach Frank McClellan stuck with the wing-T all those years and never changed, people knew what he was going to do but could not stop it....Football is a game of timing and execution and when you can do that then you are tough to beat, have always said there is a lot of difference in running a play and the correct execution of a play... 

PrivateLesson

I can believe that....you have to execute everything without much error.   Even though it is a game how you prepare can make all the difference.    Some coaches I have heard will do a complete walk thru....almost down to the coin toss while others simply think a few trick plays here or there will work.  Many say you are what you practice.    I'm so glad you are doing well!  I pray God continues to bless you. 

Jimbo Morphis

Romeo

Some great quotes from that Rick Jones article:
"you control two major things in your life, your attitude and your effort. How you decide to handle those two things will determine your success or failure in football and in life."

"I know I've done my job as coach when a third-teamer comes back to visit us."

Pr8hd

IMHO, Coach Campbell hit it all on the head when he spoke of execution. There has been many, many times I really thought Greenwood was going to be rolled when I looked at the roster, size of other teams or caught glimpses of tape on them. Execution and preparation has been a GW staple under Jones and it can/has overcome superior talent on more than a few occasions. The other thing he made a statement on was finding something and sticking to it. It makes me think of Remember the Titans when Boone talks about his offense.

"I run 6 plays, split veer. It's like novocaine. Just give it time, always works."

I can't remember how many tunnel screens or curls I have seen GW do under Jones or even work the short side of the field to help negate the speed of the opponents. It has worked so long you become numb to it. It's Jones' novocaine, but it still has to be perfectly executed to be successful.

All good coaches find a niche and refine it...Kelley with his onside kicks/no punt schemes, Vines teams were epitome of good execution, Campbell with is traps and run it down your throat approach, etc.

Rockhounds x2

IMO you really need an athletic director and a school board that strives for success!
In my short amount of time around HS football I've seen a lot of good and some questionable issues!
For one hireing a good coach for the sake of the program isn't going to work if you have assistant coaches that are dug in and don't buy into the system! And the new coach is stuck with the same fate as your old one until he can weed them out but in high school that's difficult sometimes!

I don't feel that the HC should ever be the AD I've seen it the HC gets raises and no money for quality assistant coaches!

Uncle Ivan

While a good AD and board don't necessarily build a program, a bad board and AD can definitely destroy one.

sevenof400

Quote from: Rockhounds x2 on July 04, 2015, 09:10:05 pm
..I don't feel that the HC should ever be the AD I've seen it the HC gets raises and no money for quality assistant coaches!

Football coaches should never be AD's.  It's akin to to asking the fox to guard the henhouse. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 05, 2015, 11:20:29 am
Quote from: Rockhounds x2 on July 04, 2015, 09:10:05 pm
..I don't feel that the HC should ever be the AD I've seen it the HC gets raises and no money for quality assistant coaches!

Football coaches should never be AD's.  It's akin to to asking the fox to guard the henhouse. 

What about being the High School Principal and Head Football Coach??

sevenof400

Quote from: HF on July 05, 2015, 12:11:46 pm

I can't imagine there would be enough hours in the day for that combination to work.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 05, 2015, 12:28:52 pm
Quote from: HF on July 05, 2015, 12:11:46 pm

I can't imagine there would be enough hours in the day for that combination to work.

Hector's Head Coach was hired as the High School principal at the last board meeting, he'll retain Senior High Duties. The Superintendant is also the HC of the Girls Basketball team(He's an old basketball coach, and they "forced" the resignation of the girls coach last year due to some....legal issues)...

Hoghead2

Quote from: tmycjy on June 28, 2015, 08:54:55 pm
for Wynne it call tradition we won for so long that they expect to win every year and when the kids believe that they can win that half your battle for  team

This is true. I'll bump it up to the Collge level. Im not a MiamI fan, but the U had teams beat the moment they got on the Airplane back in the day. People didn't think they could beat them and they didn't ! 58 straight Home wins is still a record that possibly never be beat. TRADITION ! People were afraid of the Canes and teams were afraid of Wynne.

Grond

Quote from: Hoghead2 on July 06, 2015, 03:35:56 am

This is true. I'll bump it up to the College level. Im not a MiamI fan, but the U had teams beat the moment they got on the Airplane back in the day. People didn't think they could beat them and they didn't ! 58 straight Home wins is still a record that possibly never be beat. TRADITION ! People were afraid of the Canes and teams were afraid of Wynne.

Gentlemen, I find these comments a little naive. I agree that "winning" helps to develop an expectation and determination to win.

But to get to that "winning" level, a good high school coach has to develop talent, instill a work ethic, and choose the right tactics for the talent he has (or does not have). Winning in the past is no guarantee of winning in the future.

sevenof400

This is true. I'll bump it up to the Collge level. Im not a MiamI fan, but the U had teams beat the moment they got on the Airplane back in the day. People didn't think they could beat them and they didn't ! 58 straight Home wins is still a record that possibly never be beat. TRADITION ! People were afraid of the Canes and teams were afraid of Wynne.

Quite possibly the best example of a team that got the comeuppance it deserved. 

January 1, 1993. 

It was epic!

The mystique of Miami died that night.

Silver88

Quote from: 27 Trap on June 30, 2015, 01:35:42 pm
Quote from: PrivateLesson on June 29, 2015, 06:59:19 am
I hope this isn't taken the wrong way but I believe it helps to have a Coach who is constantly wanting to learn.....who dedicates himself not only to the players but also to the game.  Some coaches(certainly not all) sometimes portray that they "know it all".    I also don't mean this in a bad way either but some Coaches are just better at their profession than others.  Just because you get a Coaching degree or endorsement doesn't make you a winning coach.     A lot of good men are Ucoaches, they lead in other ways, and not just on the field. 

Thanks for asking about health, I am doing good, had operation last Nov. to remove two spots on lungs, had been clear for three years when those spots showed up...  I am on maintenance program now, take some chemo drugs every three weeks, they are supposed  to keep the cancer cells from becoming active , so far they have worked, last two CT Scans showed me to be clear, have another scheduled for next Monday....One thing I have realized is this, if you are in good health then you are blessed and lucky, these past seven years have been eye openers, have seen  way too many of friends who were taking chemo with me not make it....

One thing I have noticed is that when you see a program that is winning consistently then there is usually someone in charge who knows what he is doing, winning does not come by accident, a lot of thought and good planning is usually behind a successful program...Have always thought that football was a simple game and one thing that coaches do to screw it up is to try and do too much...Know Coach Frank McClellan stuck with the wing-T all those years and never changed, people knew what he was going to do but could not stop it....Football is a game of timing and execution and when you can do that then you are tough to beat, have always said there is a lot of difference in running a play and the correct execution of a play...

Coaching, Conditioning, and Community.
As someone who was fortunate to be coached by 27 Trap I can tell you the man leading these young men makes a huge difference. Just like he did in Wynne he did previously in Corning. It wasnt a complex system but we could run it in our sleep. Where Wynne had the trap we had the 28 sweep. When people started realizing on 3rd and 4 we were going to the student body sweep to the strong side they started shifting the tackles in the gaps. Coach Campbell just moved us to a two tightend set....now they still knew it was coming but which side? Lol. We practiced hard, so hard we could play 4 quarters hard. If we were close to you at half you were going to get beat because we could out last most teams. Our community was proud of us and we felt it making each game mean something. We were not just play for our school but the whole town. Being a small town we didn't have a lot of kids which translated to we didn't have a lot of talent. But do to the three things I listed I can't ever recall a Corning Bobcat from the Don Campbell era that ever walked on the field that thought they were going to lose. Thanks for the memories Coach!

Grond

Another excellent example of the fact that............COACHES ARE TEACHERS.  ;)

Rivalshog

Hows that tradition now?  Talent wins, not tradition

27 Trap

Quote from: Rivalshog on July 08, 2015, 02:34:40 pm

Hows that tradition now?  Talent wins, not tradition

I agree you got to have some talent but often tradition can and will help you make it during hard times...I coached high school football for 31yrs and never  not have a D-1 player until my 24th year to coach, we were 182-84-4 without a D-1 player on the team, with a D-1 we were 75-14-2, they did make a difference as you can see....But with out a D-1 player our kids still found a way to win, they averaged 7.6 wins a year, attribute that to hard work, tradition  and simple approach to the game,  don't believe we were smarter but we were "PRETTY SIMPLE"  in our approach....Don't think you can ever underestimate the will and determination of young men who believe in the system they are playing in....I saw young men win games by refusing to quit or surrender , they were not willing to accept defeat, they tougher it got , the harder they played....It was a honor  and a "PRIVILEGE" just to be their coach.... 

Rivalshog

Dang 24 years without a d1 player?  No player development.  I hope you were at a very small school. 

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Rivalshog on July 09, 2015, 03:40:33 pm
Dang 24 years without a d1 player?  No player development.  I hope you were at a very small school.
you have no clue do you?

Intelligentsia

Not just any coach could win as consistently in the middle of nowhere as did 27 Trap.  Hard work, devotion to players, consistant execution, and integrity built a tradition that provided a solid foundation for those who followed.  Winning without marquee players requires a special kind of coaching, though coaching exceptional talent has its challenges.

PrivateLesson

Educate yourself....

http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=113472.0

PrivateLesson

27trap is a coach that any school would be proud to have ever graced their field.  Period.  And yes, that is my opinion. 

27 Trap

Quote from: PrivateLesson on July 09, 2015, 09:12:40 pm

Educate yourself....

http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=113472.0

Thanks for putting this back on FF,  reading this makes me realize the struggles  I had in battling cancer.. Read where Kenny Stabler passed away with stage 4 color cancer, that's what stage mine was when they discovered it in 2008, had already gone to lungs & liver, if you look at survival rate on stage 4, its six percent....Just makes me realize how lucky and blessed I am, the Lord has help me make it through this terrible disease that takes so many lives...

I had CT Scan on Monday and it showed me to be cancer free, I put this good news on Facebook and have over 550 responses, that just blew me away, had many former players respond and many friends from the schools where I coached.. Made me realize that life is more than winning games, it about touching people and trying to make a difference in their lives, I get chill bumps when I read some of the responses...That means a lot more to me than any of the honors I have ever receive, nothing can compare to the feelings I get when I read their comments, that is what life is all about...

Remember a saying I heard from a Pastor and a FCA Conference...."IN THIS WORLD OF GIVE AND TAKE, NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO GIVE WHAT IT TAKES.."....We need more givers.......

Intelligentsia

Great news about your continued remission, Coach. Maybe you can make it to the Batesville vs Wynne game - I bet it will be another dandy!  Two fine coaching staffs, hard working players, and great fans.  The teams will  likely play for the conference championship at my favorite place to be on a fall Friday night - beautiful Pioneer Stadium.     

27 Trap

Quote from: Intelligentsia on July 09, 2015, 10:36:39 pm
Great news about your continued remission, Coach. Maybe you can make it to the Batesville vs Wynne game - I bet it will be another dandy!  Two fine coaching staffs, hard working players, and great fans.  The teams will  likely play for the conference championship at my favorite place to be on a fall Friday night - beautiful Pioneer Stadium.     

Have that game marked on my schedule,  hope to make to Batesville  it to watch what should be another great game between those two schools...Understand the Pioneers are expecting another great year, ran into Coach Smith at All Star practice in Conway....Coach King has done a great job there, they are tough every year, have the upmost respect for the outstanding program  he has built there....

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas