• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

North Pulaski Head Coach Opening..

Started by beach bum, December 08, 2014, 11:43:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

beach bum

December 08, 2014, 11:43:47 am Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 11:46:29 am by beach bum
Could anyone turn this program around? What is the situation that has made them have so many losses the last decade. I am from NWA so I was just curious if the right coach could make them competitive, say at least a .500 record?

Red Devil Alum

Maybe the toughest job in the state.  No track record of success, transient school population (because of the base), not good facilities, worst PA announcer in the state ( ;)).

PA Dad

Aw shucks, I kinda like the PS announcer!

IPROFB

Its hard to win in 5A ball with only 33 kids on the sideline!  No history of winning in the recent past and the fact that the school may be phased out in the next 3-4 years makes this the least attractable football position in the state!  Having said that, who knows what could happen with the right coach and a little bit of talent??? The odds are not good that those two roads will cross and meet in NPHS.

tmycjy

hey I don't know but are school played north Pulaski we were told from a coach because they are a Air base school they could not keep it stable what I mean they might get a player who is everything on the field and his dad work for the base now if his dad get transfer the player is gone he may come in one week work on the base and two week later can just be transfer just like that to another understand I don't know if this is true but it a good storie if that true

PA Dad

I really feel sorry for North Pulaski.  Our 9th graders could have whipped them and that is probably true for most other 5A teams.  Their QB was actually a pretty good athlete, but he had little support and the coach had no clue as to how to use the talent he had.  I see no future for this program.

beach bum

Thanks for the info.. Somebody I knew was just curious about the open HC spot. We were amazed by the 12 wins since 2001. Thats really sad for any school to have to deal with that.

Loyalfan1

IPROFB

Some young coach will probably apply for this job thinking he can change the world.

beach bum

Quote from: IPROFB on December 09, 2014, 09:21:54 am
Some young coach will probably apply for this job thinking he can change the world.

That's exactly what I am thinking. But look on the bright side. You go 5-5 and you look like a genius and great coach if that means anything?

IPROFB

Quote from: beach bum on December 09, 2014, 01:27:46 pm
Quote from: IPROFB on December 09, 2014, 09:21:54 am

That's exactly what I am thinking. But look on the bright side. You go 5-5 and you look like a genius and great coach if that means anything?

I would say 3-7 would be the best one could hope for and that would be a challenge!  Look at their schedule and tell me which five teams can they beat?

MDXPHD

I think Kelly should take it for more of a challenge.

Lionheart88

The key to getting PA some wins is scheduling.  Try and arrange to face off with Conway Christian or Benton Harmony Grove or Poyen or something.  Judicious non-conference scheduling could get them a 3-win season and some confidence back, if nothing else.

IPROFB

Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 09, 2014, 11:30:48 pm
The key to getting PA some wins is scheduling.  Try and arrange to face off with Conway Christian or Benton Harmony Grove or Poyen or something.  Judicious non-conference scheduling could get them a 3-win season and some confidence back, if nothing else.

Yes, scheduling can help, but the new coach will still have this year's schedule for one more season. I think the big reason most men will stay away from this challenge is the uncertainty of the future. Who wants to move their family to Jacksonville only to discover, one year into the job, the school is closing in 2016?

Busman

Good possibility the school will become Jacksonville Jr. High in 2016-17 when the new Jacksonville school district begins.

IPROFB

Quote from: Busman on December 10, 2014, 08:10:06 am
Good possibility the school will become Jacksonville Jr. High in 2016-17 when the new Jacksonville school district begins.

That would kill any hopes of getting a head football coach from outside of the district/school. I guess whoever takes over next year will roll into the staff at Jacksonville in 2016?

Swampdonkey

Quote from: IPROFB on December 10, 2014, 09:18:59 am

That would kill any hopes of getting a head football coach from outside of the district/school. I guess whoever takes over next year will roll into the staff at Jacksonville in 2016?

There has to be some young quality asst coaches within PCSSD that is eager to be a head coach. Surely one of them will take a shot at it.

Does anybody know anyone in PCSSD that would be a good hire for those kids?

nomorewhining

How about a former state championship head coach, who, when the merger or phase out or whatever came about, would switch to assistant on Jax staff, or just retire?

IPROFB

The point is few people would want a job that only lasts one year as head coach

fb is king

is the school closing for certain, I would love a crack at this job, but not for one year

Wildcats4Life

By shutting down North Pulaski High School, the JNPSD will "fix the glitch".

Swampdonkey

December 11, 2014, 10:22:37 am #21 Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 10:26:43 am by Swampdonkey
Pulaski Robinson has a former Falcon Football player out there as an asst. coach.  I wonder if he'd be interested in the job? 

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

Quote from: Wildcats4Life on December 11, 2014, 10:18:04 am

Does this mean that North Pulaski is getting re-assigned to basement B?  :)

Rayburn

There may not even be a team next year. This year's team finished the season with 33 players, and 21 of them were seniors. Ninth-grade team was very small also. I don't think I would try to field a 5A team with less than 25 kids. Might work at 2A, but 5A is too physical.

beach bum

December 11, 2014, 03:39:30 pm #24 Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 03:57:28 pm by beach bum
There is a assistant coach out of OK that I heard that has some interest. That's why I asked on the topic because I didn't know too much on the North Pulaski situation and 5A is probably the classification I follow the least as well (although its my favorite since only winning teams still make the playoffs  ;D ). . Apparently the school he is at is a school the size of an AR 4A school and was 7-43 in their previous 5 years including 0-10 the 2013 season.... and then they went 8-2 this last regular season.

UncleRico

Quote from: Swampdonkey on December 10, 2014, 05:02:05 pm
Quote from: IPROFB on December 10, 2014, 09:18:59 am

There has to be some young quality asst coaches within PCSSD that is eager to be a head coach. Surely one of them will take a shot at it.

Does anybody know anyone in PCSSD that would be a good hire for those kids?
Mills' DC is only 27-28 years old and has been there for several years. My nephew thought the world of him, along with others on that staff. Wonder if he'd be up for the challenge

Justafan42

I heard the HC at Jacksonville MS was who they wanted. Heard he almost got the job last time. I heard, I heard, I know what that means, but just saying.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Chief_Osceolaâ„¢ on December 11, 2014, 10:55:26 am
Quote from: Wildcats4Life on December 11, 2014, 10:18:04 am

Does this mean that North Pulaski is getting re-assigned to basement B?  :)

For right now, NP needs to go ahead and get a can of pesticide and a flashlight.

nuttinbuthogs

If that job is possibly going to close in a year or two they should just promote from within.  Hiring someone to come in and then get fired or reassigned to an asst job would not be fair to the guy or the family. 

Beaver Fever

The problem with playing those little schools like harmony grove and Poyen is; what if you lose?  No excuse for a 5A school to lose to a mid tier 3A or 2A school, one way ticket to getting fired.   Better to lose to a school your supposed to lose to then to a school you are supposed to beat.

Lionheart88

Better to give your boys a win for once than schedule teams you know you can't beat.  There've been kids in the past who played on that team three years and only saw one win.  If I'm their coach, I'd schedule the school for the blind if it meant getting my boys a win or two each year.  Maybe they'd eventually build some confidence.

Besides, at a program that's won 5 games in the past 10 years, I really doubt a coach loses his job for any loss.

XFalkonz

There are a lot of problems at that school. I love NP with all my heart because that was where I go my start. Things just dont seem right there for football. Every sport there has had some kind of success and has played deep into the state playoffs except for football. With the rumors of impending closure, I figure that many of the athletes will be "poached" to J-ville or sylvan hills or even Cabot ....I hate to hear that they are in this situation but the best thing to do is to just combine them with J-ville now and be done with it

gameoflife

Better find any way possible to get some wins or you will not last long as the head coach.  Worry about a few wins, then build your club so they can take on better competition as time moves along.  That old idea of play good people to get better doesn't mean a thing if you are constantly losing to them.

Loyalfan1

jbtiger73

if that's the case, then why is a school like J.A. Fair, the players that they had come out of that school in the past, are losing to schools like Earle, and Subiaco Academy. i'm just saying. has Little Rock really falling that far off the map?

Hogskin

Its all about asst.  coaches in LR. If you get a head job you can not get who you want to as far as staff members. There are way to many asst coaches in the district who are unknowledgable about the sport they are coaching and only are doing it for the stipend not for the kids or love.of the game. This will never end until an administration  holds coaches responsible for thier lack of commitment to learn and work extra hours to improve thier craft. Coaches can not be reassigned in Pulaski or Little Rock without proper documentation of thier failures in the classroom. Thier failures as a coach will.just be overlooked until they retire. Very sad for the kids because the athletes are all over the place to be successful. Ex. Greenwood has over 10-12 coaches for thier football team all of which very knowledgeable, Hall High on the other hand ,same classification, is lucky to field 4 and usually 2 of those refuse to work outside of contracted days. That is almost an impossible situation for current Head coaches and those who think they can turn a program around. If you want to be a HC you will be doing it all alone. Again very sad for the athletes and future coaches.

Loyalfan1

Quote from: Hogskin on January 05, 2015, 11:34:28 pm
Its all about asst.  coaches in LR. If you get a head job you can not get who you want to as far as staff members. There are way to many asst coaches in the district who are unknowledgable about the sport they are coaching and only are doing it for the stipend not for the kids or love.of the game. This will never end until an administration  holds coaches responsible for thier lack of commitment to learn and work extra hours to improve thier craft. Coaches can not be reassigned in Pulaski or Little Rock without proper documentation of thier failures in the classroom. Thier failures as a coach will.just be overlooked until they retire. Very sad for the kids because the athletes are all over the place to be successful. Ex. Greenwood has over 10-12 coaches for thier football team all of which very knowledgeable, Hall High on the other hand ,same classification, is lucky to field 4 and usually 2 of those refuse to work outside of contracted days. That is almost an impossible situation for current Head coaches and those who think they can turn a program around. If you want to be a HC you will be doing it all alone. Again very sad for the athletes and future coaches.

Great post... Truth.

GotInfo?

nuttinbuthogs

Hire more coaches who want to coach the sport.  May have to put up with the duds but coaches don't always make all that much extra that a school shouldn't be able to afford a couple of stipends.

Rida4Life

I said when he got the job, If Coach Ingram can't win there you can't win there.  he couldn't, and you can't ....

UncleRico

this job still hasn't been posted, is it safe to assume the phase out might be happening sooner then expected, or are they just waiting until they get their guy at Maumelle first? I know its a bad job giving the circumstances, but they have to have a coach with spring ball right around the corner, right?

nuttinbuthogs

Tigerdad2

Quote from: Rida4Life on January 20, 2015, 11:37:45 am
I said when he got the job, If Coach Ingram can't win there you can't win there.  he couldn't, and you can't ....
What's Ingram's coaching resume, win lose record as a Head Coach?

UncleRico

I heard their not allowing 9th graders in next year, and they've already been rezoning the  current 9th and 10th graders for next year. Said they'll allow any jr that wants to comeback next year to graduate. if this is true, how will they even field a team, when they only had around 30 kids out this year?

blue4hire

The underclassmen are being split out starting next year because of how their test scores will affect the new schools. SH is picking up about 325 next year, probably about the same # are headed to Jax. Construction for additional classrooms to house them has already started at SH.

Bondfan4ever

Did the school put away their banners from past sports that had hung in the gym?  When I did a basketball broadcast there a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that all the banners that had hung in the gym from my last visit in 2008 were no longer there.  Is the school already preparing to be closed or was it because of maintenance in the gym and that the banners had not been put back up?

Loyalfan1

Seems there is no hurry to fill this gig.

Rayburn

Tigerdad2

XFalkonz

Are they just going to let the kids from NP that want to play go ahead and play with Jville and still go to school at NP?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas