• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Good thing or bad thing to can AAA with government appointments?

Started by Walter, January 04, 2017, 07:46:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter

http://www.arkansasmatters.com/news/local-news/state-takeover-sought-of-ar-activities-assn/635502141

Is someone sticking their nose in where there is no problem? I thought the AAA was ruled by all member schools but what do I know.

ricepig

Terrible idea, can't you just hear them, "We're from the government, here to help you".

OB11

That is very interesting.  I can't really see the AAA being taken over by the legislation but crazier things have happened.  Are there any other states where the government is over their AAA equivalent?

AT

OB11

bigchief72455

sevenof400

This is long overdue from the standpoint that AAA has the following fundamental problems:

• No oversight - when your representative (legislative) body consists overwhelmingly of superintendents and AD's, that's great to extend the administration's concerns.  Coaches too (somewhat less), but students and parents - who are important parts of the equation - have NO representation (voice - input) in this organization.  Students and parents comprise the third estate.
  • Entirely too large a body.  AAA should not have such a large number of representatives. While I realize the needs of a 1A school will be vastly different than a 7A school, and that 7A schools are much larger it would be far better to have a representative body of something around 30 - 40 members

beach bum

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 04, 2017, 02:47:21 pm
This is long overdue from the standpoint that AAA has the following fundamental problems:

• No oversight - when your representative (legislative) body consists overwhelmingly of superintendents and AD's, that's great to extend the administration's concerns.  Coaches too (somewhat less), but students and parents - who are important parts of the equation - have NO representation (voice - input) in this organization.  Students and parents comprise the third estate.
  • Entirely too large a body.  AAA should not have such a large number of representatives. While I realize the needs of a 1A school will be vastly different than a 7A school, and that 7A schools are much larger it would be far better to have a representative body of something around 30 - 40 members

I don't think I want people like Jason Rapert from Bigelow in the state legislature making decisions about high school sports. The guy is a nut job and the sad thing is that there are a few more like him as state senators or state representatives that the people living in the rural areas of this state have voted into the state government.

Brian G

AAA has issues but the state gov't being involved is not the solution.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on January 04, 2017, 06:41:55 pm
I don't think I want people like Jason Rapert from Bigelow in the state legislature making decisions about high school sports. The guy is a nut job and the sad thing is that there are a few more like him as state senators or state representatives that the people living in the rural areas of this state have voted into the state government.

Rural areas? You mean basically the entire state?

Coach Venny Slocombe

The AAA has been a dumpster fire at times...no question, but letting the Government take over would be terrible...IMO...

BLUEBLOOD

Shouldn't our government be concerned with more important things than high school sports?  AAA may very well need an overhaul, but I think the member schools should be able to handle that.

sevenof400

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on January 05, 2017, 11:31:27 am
Shouldn't our government be concerned with more important things than high school sports?  AAA may very well need an overhaul, but I think the member schools should be able to handle that.

Given their history, why would you think this?  The inmates could run the asylum too I suppose.   

Look I don't want government involved in this anymore than everyone else here but why couldn't a small (12 - 15 member panel) serve in an oversight capacity?

AAA's rules and procedures need a through review and revision for starters - and have for years.  If the member schools are capable of such an action, why has not AAA already done this?

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 05, 2017, 04:48:57 pm
Given their history, why would you think this?  The inmates could run the asylum too I suppose.   

Look I don't want government involved in this anymore than everyone else here but why couldn't a small (12 - 15 member panel) serve in an oversight capacity?

AAA's rules and procedures need a through review and revision for starters - and have for years.  If the member schools are capable of such an action, why has not AAA already done this?

Maybe the member schools like the status quo?

HorseFeathers

sevenof400

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 05, 2017, 08:16:56 pm
I'm sure Nero liked the status quo too.

Nero wanted to rebuild Rome to his liking I've yet to see that the schools wish to.

Missco

The government getting involved would be the biggest cluster ever. Do any of y'all know very many of these guys, personally? Lawd, most have no clue about athletics. SMH.

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 05, 2017, 04:48:57 pm

In all my years, I haven't seen the government fix much of anything.

KOJACK

Sweet

I dn't know if government control is what we need but I do know that something needs to change bad.

If you can put Foreman and Magnet Cove or Poyen in the same conference you've lost your mind. It's 2 1/2 hours by bus between those. 1 is almost in Oklahoma and the other two are nearly in Little Rock.

Forcing what would otherwise be a 1A schools to play 2A in all sports because they want to play football?

They come up with some of the dumbest crap imaginable.

Is being government run the answer? I doubt it but at this point I'm willing to give it a try.

Missco

1A schools that play football are now 1A in all sports except football. Some of your facts are wrong

sevenof400

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on January 06, 2017, 08:07:11 am
In all my years, I haven't seen the government fix much of anything.

And yet, AAA has done even less (or worse) than the government.  Until AAA membership reflects the interests of ALL parties involved in high school sports, necessary reform will never occur. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Missco on February 12, 2017, 01:49:58 pm
1A schools that play football are now 1A in all sports except football. Some of your facts are wrong

That only happened this year, they had been forced to play up since 2006.

Missco

You are correct. In most states A and AA would be combined anyway. Several States  have set-ups where  some of the bottom AAA  schools would also be in the same class with the A and AA.

Made

Quote from: Sweet on February 11, 2017, 07:51:20 pm
I dn't know if government control is what we need but I do know that something needs to change bad.

If you can put Foreman and Magnet Cove or Poyen in the same conference you've lost your mind. It's 2 1/2 hours by bus between those. 1 is almost in Oklahoma and the other two are nearly in Little Rock.

Forcing what would otherwise be a 1A schools to play 2A in all sports because they want to play football?

Is being government run the answer? I doubt it but at this point I'm willing to give it a try.

you do realize there are only 11 schools with 1a numbers playing football

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Made on February 12, 2017, 09:41:50 pm

Why make em play up a class in everything else though? 1aLead Hill plays soccer which only has 4a-7a...Should they be arbitrariily bumped up to 4a since they choose to field that sport?

The problem has been taken care of but that's what happened with 1a sized schools that fielded a football team...

Made

Quote from: HorseFeathers on February 13, 2017, 08:46:04 am
Why make em play up a class in everything else though? 1aLead Hill plays soccer which only has 4a-7a...Should they be arbitrariily bumped up to 4a since they choose to field that sport?

The problem has been taken care of but that's what happened with 1a sized schools that fielded a football team...
no, we should just give them a state championship trophy

OverPrivileged

HorseFeathers

Sweet

Quote from: Made on February 12, 2017, 09:41:50 pm

Why does that matter?

GuvHog

Quote from: Sweet on February 11, 2017, 07:51:20 pm

There shouldn't even be a 1A classification. Consolidation of those smaller schools needs to happen.

Lions84

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas