• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Please explain?

Started by Sick Dog, December 26, 2014, 02:41:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sick Dog

From what i can see, 5A has fewer teams but have 112 all-state selections or something like that. and 3A has only like 40 plus, but has a lot more teams??? I don't understand.

Uncle Ivan

Quality of players/talent.

Staggering drop from 5A to 3A.

WPWells

Tell that to Ty Storey and Jordan Jones

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on December 30, 2014, 01:47:26 pm

Negative. Just a little bigger pool to pull from. 5A as a whole is not an impressive classification.

Jimbo Morphis

that will make them jump in the boat.

Wolfpack68

AAAANNNNNNNNNNTTTTT!!!!!!!! That's not the answer we were looking for.

Wonderdog

Quote from: Sick Dog on December 26, 2014, 02:41:32 pm
From what i can see, 5A has fewer teams but have 112 all-state selections or something like that. and 3A has only like 40 plus, but has a lot more teams??? I don't understand.
Seems that the rule operates on a theory that because you have a larger pool of players, that deserving athletes would be overlooked due to having deeper rosters in most instances than say a 3A team. In turn making the all state selections more available in higher classes than in lower classes. This would also mean they (AAA) are assuming that talented depth on a roster is quicker depleted in lower classifications. Ex: wr1 at 5A school and at 3A school may be relatively equal but when comparing wr2 5A would have the better backup. I personally do not believe this to be true. However this appears to be the best guess.

DeeGee

Yeah you're way off base there captain. Some of the most talented players in the history of any sport came from small conferences. Do some research please and thank you.
It seems to be because larger conferences have more backups and 3A players play a lot of two way positions. Most 5A players don't have to play on offense and defense therefore have a more vast field to choose from, second or third string. Some 3A schools don't even have a 2nd string let alone a third.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: DeeGoldie on December 30, 2014, 11:43:19 pm

Yeah you're way off base there captain. Some of the most talented players in the history of any sport came from small conferences.

Not really.  Quality talent from smaller classifications is rarer than hen's teeth.

If we were serious about developing talent, there'd be a push for consolidation below the 4A level.

sevenof400

V did its best to disprove this theory this year.....

DeeGee

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on December 31, 2014, 04:51:54 am

Yeah you're way off base there captain. Some of the most talented players in the history of any sport came from small conferences.

Not really.  Quality talent from smaller classifications is rarer than hen's teeth.

If we were serious about developing talent, there'd be a push for consolidation below the 4A level.

I'd have to disagree. There are several small town boys who receive extra training to improve on natural talent. I grew up going to a 7A school, my son plays for a 3A school and I've seen just as much talent out of these small town boys. And way more heart and love for the game, which imo  means a lot! When all there is to do in your town is football, your gonna have talent no matter what classification you're in. I think the talent in 3A the last few years proves that point.

-Painted Fan-

I've had many discussions with the "Bigger Means Better" people. I always bring up Isidore Newman Schools in New Orleans.
Here's just a few alums:
Peyton Manning- Denver Broncos
Eli Manning- NY Giants
Odell Beckham, jr.- NY Giants
Omar Douglas- NY Giants
Jeremy Bleich- NY Yankees
Damion Carter- Colorado Rockies
Harry Connick, jr- singer, American Idol judge
Bryan Batt- actor Mad Men
Corey Johnson- actor United 93, Bourne Ultimatum
Christopher Rice- son of author Anne Rice
Sean Tuohy- entrepreneur, announcer for the Memphis Grizzlies, father of Michael Oher
Michael Lewis- author of Moneyball, The Blind Side
This school has an enrollment of less than 1,000 students K-12th grades.
Coaches also teach classes (a sore subject with proponents of bigger schools).

sevenof400

Quote from: -Painted Fan- on January 01, 2015, 02:34:32 pm
I've had many discussions with the "Bigger Means Better" people. I always bring up Isidore Newman Schools in New Orleans. ...This school has an enrollment of less than 1,000 students K-12th grades.
Coaches also teach classes (a sore subject with proponents of bigger schools).

In the interest of full disclosure, it should be noted this school is a private school.   

-Painted Fan-

Which means jack squat.
Did you know that 100% of students at Subiaco Academy are offered scholarships?

sevenof400

Quote from: -Painted Fan- on January 01, 2015, 03:00:35 pm
Which means jack squat.

Dorothy?  Wake up.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: -Painted Fan- on January 01, 2015, 03:00:35 pm
Which means jack squat.

Subi needs a new scouting department.

-Painted Fan-

Students don't go to Subi for athletics.
It's all about the academics.

cdelaney

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on December 31, 2014, 04:51:54 am

Your statements are incorrect and misguided not to mention asinine, and have no bearing on the number of all-state selections from each conference. Otherwise I agree with you.

Sick Dog

We aren't talkng about Louisiana schools. And if 5 A played with more than 11 player on the field, or had more schools, or conferences I could understand but they don't so I don't either

gameoflife

Sean Touhy, is an ex Ole Miss basketball player and owns numerous resturants in the Memphis area.  He's a lot more than Oher adoptive father. Nothing against Big Mike.

beach bum

I agree there are plenty of incredibly talented players in 3A, but some on here are acting like there is basically no gap at all with 5A which is not the case. To be honest the ratio seems pretty good to me. Those near 100 5A players probably have an equal ability has a totality has the 40 something in 3A. Obviously, guys like Storey and the Smackover duo could dominate at any level. But that goes for the top 3 to 5 players in every lower class. 5A is just deeper because of fielding 75 players and not 35 to 40.

cdelaney

Quote from: beach bum on January 03, 2015, 03:14:06 pm
I agree there are plenty of incredibly talented players in 3A, but some on here are acting like there is basically no gap at all with 5A which is not the case. To be honest the ratio seems pretty good to me. Those near 100 5A players probably have an equal ability has a totality has the 40 something in 3A. Obviously, guys like Storey and the Smackover duo could dominate at any level. But that goes for the top 3 to 5 players in every lower class. 5A is just deeper because of fielding 75 players and not 35 to 40.
This has nothing at all to do with the depth of each level of classification. It is simple math that the higher classes are going to have more talent across the board. If you have 10 times as many male students per grade level, it stands to reason that you should have 10 times the talent pool. The All State selections should reflect the best players within that classification, without regard for the other classifications. The All Star game teams, and the ADG super teams, etc, cut across classifications and usually are dominated by the larger schools, and appropriately most of the time. The fact that 5A has over 100 "all state" selections, from only 32 teams, is ridiculous and dilutes the value of that designation. The fact that 3A picks 8 per conference is also ridiculous as this year there were players from the stronger conferences (4,5, and 6) who were left off the team by that limit, and kids from the others who probably shouldn't have been on the team. So  there are plenty of problems with the system, and I didn't even mention the politics or whatever it is that would keep an Elmo Hempstead off the team. But the argument that 5A deserves more because they come from larger schools is misguided.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: cdelaney on January 03, 2015, 04:11:06 pm
This has nothing at all to do with the depth of each level of classification. It is simple math that the higher classes are going to have more talent across the board. If you have 10 times as many male students per grade level, it stands to reason that you should have 10 times the talent pool. The All State selections should reflect the best players within that classification, without regard for the other classifications. The All Star game teams, and the ADG super teams, etc, cut across classifications and usually are dominated by the larger schools, and appropriately most of the time. The fact that 5A has over 100 "all state" selections, from only 32 teams, is ridiculous and dilutes the value of that designation. The fact that 3A picks 8 per conference is also ridiculous as this year there were players from the stronger conferences (4,5, and 6) who were left off the team by that limit, and kids from the others who probably shouldn't have been on the team. So  there are plenty of problems with the system, and I didn't even mention the politics or whatever it is that would keep an Elmo Hempstead off the team. But the argument that 5A deserves more because they come from larger schools is misguided.

5A gets 25 all state players per conference? WOW...

cdelaney

Quote from: HF on January 03, 2015, 05:11:15 pm

Yep. See the list on 5A board.  There are 15 All-State QBs in 5A it seems.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: cdelaney on January 03, 2015, 06:01:02 pm
Quote from: HF on January 03, 2015, 05:11:15 pm

Yep. See the list on 5A board.  There are 15 All-State QBs in 5A it seems.

That's crazy....It appears in 5A that all-state has been watered down to nothing more than a glorified all conference award...

Sick Dog

Yes it's a joke. And most of them wouldn't be all-state in 3 A

hawgrule

Quote from: Sick Dog on January 06, 2015, 09:52:14 pm
Yes it's a joke. And most of them wouldn't be all-state in 3 A

i dont know if it was intentional, but that is how you bait a hook

gameoflife

Its called politics.  Exist in all areas of our world, even in 5A football.  Our entire society is about everyone getting an award for just participating, now you can be all state for doing just a little bit more?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: gameoflife on January 09, 2015, 06:38:06 pm
Its called politics.  Exist in all areas of our world, even in 5A football.  Our entire society is about everyone getting an award for just participating, now you can be all state for doing just a little bit more?

Pretty soon All-State awards will include a Baggy of cookies and a Juice Box :D

gameoflife

We sure have toned down the game over the years.  Rules to help create more offense, so the fans are happy. Rules to penalize the defense for too much agression, so offense has more advantage.  I will say a consciousness to make the game safer is definitely a good thing.

sevenof400

Quote from: HF on January 09, 2015, 09:38:00 pm
Pretty soon All-State awards will include a Baggy of cookies and a Juice Box :D

How ironic it would be if GameofLife had posted this....

gameoflife

LOL!!  Hey, everbody's drinking the coolaid when it comes to high school athletics.  Too many folks can't face reality about winners and losers and those that work to get it and those that just want it.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas