• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Tradition in the 3A

Started by WPWells, December 14, 2014, 09:02:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Fridaynight11

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on December 16, 2014, 08:51:09 pm
Barton dropped football for a couple years. I respect what they've done in the past, but if they had as much tradition as everyone wants to give them credit for they NEVER would've dropped football
this is going to sound crazy....but i agree

hoghelmet14

Bummer.... I thought this thread would be about our Schools and their cool toys.....

I thought this would be a Bearcat Bus Horn thangamabobber thread!

Mr.Fridaynight11

Quote from: hoghelmet14 on December 16, 2014, 09:36:41 pm
Bummer.... I thought this thread would be about our Schools and their cool toys.....

I thought this would be a Bearcat Bus Horn thangamabobber thread!
Actually the cannon would be Boonevilles cool toy

Curleywolf Fan

December 16, 2014, 10:21:52 pm #53 Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 10:25:28 pm by Curleywolf Fan
Quote from: nastynice on December 16, 2014, 07:13:55 pm
Charleston definitely belongs in the mix. Has nothing to do about who beat who this year, that is over. Congrats to the Tigers you did great. It's about tradition and I think all the Guys that played in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's deserve to be counted also. Not just the kids that have played since 2000. Barton should top this list with Rison and McGehee in there too.

Booneville and Charleston should be somewhere in the middle of the pack.
Prescott has to be in there also. Like said before they started their tradition in 1970 when they played Rison for the state championship. They have got to be at the top with the others. Go back and read my earlier post and you will understand.

Jabali

December 16, 2014, 10:33:15 pm #54 Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 10:39:42 pm by Jabali
Quote from: IofthaTiger on December 16, 2014, 08:48:48 pm

Here are the numbers for the last 25 years you asked about. It does go back farther than those 10 to 15 years. Granted, Charleston had no tradition in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. They only started their present accomplishments in 1988. That's 27 years ago and I do believe that a winning tradition of 27 years does qualify as having tradition. The Barton and Rison teams you mentioned had great tradition during the 80's and 90's but have fallen off some during the 2000's. Booneville has great tradition and has maintained it for many years.

However you guys are beginning to sound like some of the Ozark people who only want to talk ancient history.

1990 to present (25 years)
Charleston 269-44-2 .857 winning percentage
Barton 241-61 .798 winning percentage
Booneville 241-61 .791 winning percentage
Rison 245-64-2 .790 winning percentage.
Out of this group Barton wins hands down, 71 playoff victories against only 26 losses. Bears have won eight  state championships.

If the question would have been "who has the best tradition in the 3-a WEST over the last 25 years" your stats would come in handy.

YC

Ok, you guys win....I concede....We will get the number from 55 to 75 years ago and then we can all go congratulate our grandpa's on how great they were back in the day  8)

Skip Baymore

Barton dropped football for a couple years. I respect what they've done in the past, but if they had as much tradition as everyone wants to give them credit for they NEVER would've dropped football
Barton dropping football had to do with problems in society at that time, not Barton.  Im glad to see them thriving again and playing with the old Barton pride.   LR Central (with a 2000 plus student body)  barely fielded a football team for a few years in the 90's.  Some people were more interested in being part of a gang than a football team.  And I thank God that both football programs are back strong.  Im not sure what youre looking for 12th man, after winning 2 state championships in a row and 3 out of the last 4.  I think you should quit while youre ahead.  The fact is that Charleston is a very storied team with great tradition.  One of the best in the state over the last ten years.  But even in 3A, if you run the numbers, over the years, there are a few teams with as many or more state championships wins and as many or more appearances.  Charlestons tradition is GREAT!  One of the best.  But Bartons tradition over the years is better, and if you run the numbers there are actually two more teams in 3A who out do yall.  Again, Im not sure what youre looking for here.  That is what Skipper Say.

nastynice

The past is what tradition is all about. Barton and McGehee are good examples of the teams, no matter what they've done lately, when you hear their name you still think they are or will be good. That's tradition to me. A team you expect to be good just because of their name. Osceola fits in that group.

Booneville for example will be less than avg, at best next year! Not looking good!  But people still put them in the top 2, some even #1 going into next year! (Conference only) Why? Cause they are traditionally good.  Just like Charleston has been.

Barton, Rison, Booneville, Osceola, Charleston, McGehee, Prescott

These are the teams I think of first when traditional powerhouses of 3a come into conversation.  With Barton leading this list.

Quote from: IofthaTiger on December 16, 2014, 11:02:57 pm

Ok, you guys win....I concede....We will get the number from 55 to 75 years ago and then we can all go congratulate our grandpa's on how great they were back in the day  8)
You can't just pick and choose your best years!  You've got to include em all!
My dad's numbers mean just as much as mine and my nephew's. To me anyway.

elmerfudd

In my opinion (for what it's worth), tradition isn't just the number of wins and championships a school has compiled over a certain amount of time. It includes particular things that have been maintained or passed down through the years. For example, Booneville has shot the cannon after every score for as long as I can remember. We  also started playing the song "Thunderstruck" during pregame warmups in 2004, and it has stuck ever since.

I'm more interested in hearing about these types of traditions than wins and losses.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on December 16, 2014, 07:44:57 pm
Quote from: Mr.Fridaynight11 on December 16, 2014, 07:42:40 pm
Quote from: 12th Man CHS on December 16, 2014, 07:34:56 pm
Quote from: Mr.Fridaynight11 on December 16, 2014, 07:32:29 pm
Quote from: 12th Man CHS on December 16, 2014, 07:16:45 pm
Quote from: nastynice on December 16, 2014, 07:13:55 pm
Charleston definitely belongs in the mix. Has nothing to do about who beat who this year, that is over. Congrats to the Tigers you did great. It's about tradition and I think all the Guys that played in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's deserve to be counted also. Not just the kids that have played since 2000. Barton should top this list with Rison and McGehee in there too.

Booneville and Charleston should be somewhere in the middle of the pack.

I didn't mean to bash Booneville, but it's obvious that that guy has some clear sour grapes against the Charleston program
I did not bash Charleston at all. i just said do base your tradition of the last 15 years.

And I'm wondering how you don't consider 26 consecutive playoff appearances tradition?
yes 26 consecutive playoff appearances is good, but like i said.... IF YOU LOOK FURTHER BACK THAN 15-20 YEARS,  there are more teams that are more deserving.

Tradition also involves keeping it going. I just looked at a thread and there were several years where Hector was really good but no one would consider Hector tradition-rich. Schools like Mineral Springs and Sparkman were some of the best in that time but aren't good now.

Who on here would consider Junction City tradition-rich? Most everyone. Charleston has been good even longer than JC

You just brought Hector into a discussion about Tradition...Dude, Deep down Hector is a basketball school...The fans on here may argue with me, but we still bring more fans to a basketball game on a Tuesday than we do to a football game in the playoffs....Wait, I t hink that was the point you were trying to make lol...

What I find funny about this talk about tradition, is that the schools that can't stack up to what Charleston has done in my life span(I'm 25), are the ones that want to make the point of but you sucked in the '60's so you don't have a good tradition...

HorseFeathers

12th Man...Concede the argument we're not old enough to appreciate what these old farts call tradition 8)

WPWells

I have one more thing to say:

Tradition is how you win these close playoff games. Tradition is why it took Charleston SEVENTEEN years of making the playoffs before we finally broke through and won a state championship. It was then, in 2005, where I think people will begin to say, without a doubt, Charleston is tradition rich. Any schools can have a few good years, or be good once a decade, or whatever. Tradition is making 27 straight playoff appearances. Like it or not, Charleston belongs up there with the big boys

elmerfudd

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on December 17, 2014, 05:47:22 pm
I have one more thing to say:

Tradition is how you win these close playoff games. Tradition is why it took Charleston SEVENTEEN years of making the playoffs before we finally broke through and won a state championship. It was then, in 2005, where I think people will begin to say, without a doubt, Charleston is tradition rich. Any schools can have a few good years, or be good once a decade, or whatever. Tradition is making 27 straight playoff appearances. Like it or not, Charleston belongs up there with the big boys

Why don't you just come out and say it......you started this thread to make your case that Charleston is the best, hands down.

WPWells

I started this thread for discussion

Skip Baymore

Quote from: nastynice on December 17, 2014, 10:32:01 am
The past is what tradition is all about. Barton and McGehee are good examples of the teams, no matter what they've done lately, when you hear their name you still think they are or will be good. That's tradition to me. A team you expect to be good just because of their name. Osceola fits in that group.

Booneville for example will be less than avg, at best next year! Not looking good!  But people still put them in the top 2, some even #1 going into next year! (Conference only) Why? Cause they are traditionally good.  Just like Charleston has been.

Barton, Rison, Booneville, Osceola, Charleston, McGehee, Prescott

These are the teams I think of first when traditional powerhouses of 3a come into conversation.  With Barton leading this list.

Quote from: IofthaTiger on December 16, 2014, 11:02:57 pm

Ok, you guys win….I concede….We will get the number from 55 to 75 years ago and then we can all go congratulate our grandpa’s on how great they were back in the day  8)
You can't just pick and choose your best years!  You've got to include em all!
My dad's numbers mean just as much as mine and my nephew's. To me anyway.

I agree with your thoughts on what "tradition" is.  Harding Academy should prob. be in this group if youre listing 7 though.  Their numbers - Conf. titles., playoff appearances and wins, state championship appearances and wins, total wins, over the years, the total numbers, exceeds most of these teams.  They should be on this list without question.  And I agree that Barton tops the list.  And there was some poll a few weeks ago that I think was generated by some state media sports department on this very topic.  What team in Arkansas high school football history has been the most prolific or successful?  The choices were LR Central, El Dorado, Barton and one other, I think it was Pine Bluff but I don't remember.  I voted for Central, not because of recent years, but because of the whole history.  But Barton was the only 3A team put on this poll.  Anyway.  I think the 12th man is a good guy, but I bet he wished he never started this topic.  Merry Christmas to all you football lovers.  That is what Skipper Say.

WPWells

I think that what we've learned here is that the idea of "tradition" varies from person to person

chucktownboys

Rison, Barton, Harding academy, charleston, Prescott, McGhee, fordyce are all the teams that come when playoff time rolls around that you expect to make some noise when the lights are the brightest. Winning 50 + years ago and not doing a whole lot since is not tradition in my book, Arkansas won in 1964, but not considered a traditional power around the country, solid program but not a power house by any means.

OLDSCHOOL82

Simple definition of tradition in arkansas high school football.  If you would rather face any other opponent than the one you have scheduled in the playoffs.  Without knowing if they are loaded or not. Thats what the tradition does.

Hootie

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on December 18, 2014, 08:11:40 am
Simple definition of tradition in arkansas high school football.  If you would rather face any other opponent than the one you have scheduled in the playoffs.  Without knowing if they are loaded or not. Thats what the tradition does.

+100

ChucktownTiger

I like you a lot better during the off season!

Clara Allen

[/quote

I see your point, but sometimes dropping the program just can't be helped.  Given Barton's location and the economical situation of the Delta, numbers drop.   Trust me on this, I am not a Barton homer, in fact, I don't like them very much at all. But sometimes schools have to do what's  best.  We all can't have unlimited resources or numbers.  Barton gas a great tradition, even with the dropped years. Do go ahead and start throwing rocks, I'm pretty used to it by now..... 

snoopy22

I don't look at overall or conference records as a huge judge.....Some conferences are weaker than others.  Barton seems to have too many down years to be at the top, but at one time they were.  They have 8 titles for the argument though, not many can say that.  McGehee, Rison, Prescott, Charleston, Booneville....You can't argue with those....Harding Academy, Osceola, Fordyce, Rivercrest.  Those ten are good ones.  Rison is not with us anymore, they are in 2A, but those ar 9 real tradition rich programs for 3A....Glen Rose has good tradition since 2007.  So I guess these would be my top 10 in 3A.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: ChucktownTiger on December 18, 2014, 08:28:30 am

The feelings not mutual!

adaptedtigerfan

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on December 18, 2014, 09:18:12 am

The feelings not mutual!

I don't like you either season!  8)

ChucktownTiger

The feelings not mutual!

Since Bville is such a small town, I bet you know Gold45. You should have her get u some tiger gear. Nothing like some black and gold for Christmas. :)

adaptedtigerfan

Speaking of...  I know where there some great looking black n gold back2back shirts.

OLDSCHOOL82

nastynice

I thought adapted was taking his toys and riding off into the sunset? 

adaptedtigerfan

gold45

Quote from: ChucktownTiger on December 18, 2014, 09:27:50 am

The feelings not mutual!

Since Bville is such a small town, I bet you know Gold45. You should have her get u some tiger gear. Nothing like some black and gold for Christmas. :)

I know for a fact that Oldschool was given a Black and Gold State Champ shirt for Christmas last year.  (Not by me.). I think he gave it to Nastynice to use for cleaning up dog flitter or something.  Pretty sure Oldschool's allergic to those colors.

adaptedtigerfan

Man I've sure missed gold45.   I may just stay on here to keep her company!

gold45

No need, Adapted.  I'm not lonely...I've got farmersonly.

adaptedtigerfan

You need to go see the chick that I found on there and get that field goal kicker a back to back shirt or hoodie.

gold45

That may be the only thing you've ever said that I actually agree with! :D

adaptedtigerfan

What's that?  That my wife looks like a farmersonly chick?  I'm hurt!!   Lol

gold45

Ha!  The field goal kicker needs a hoodie from your very pretty wife. 

SuperTurfMonkey

Jabali

December 18, 2014, 02:47:10 pm #87 Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 03:07:43 pm by Jabali
Quote from: elmerfudd on December 17, 2014, 12:42:36 pm
In my opinion (for what it's worth), tradition isn't just the number of wins and championships a school has compiled over a certain amount of time. It includes particular things that have been maintained or passed down through the years. For example, Booneville has shot the cannon after every score for as long as I can remember. We  also started playing the song "Thunderstruck" during pregame warmups in 2004, and it has stuck ever since.

I'm more interested in hearing about these types of traditions than wins and losses.
I was hoping for the same thing. Like when Charleston use to on occasion wear the black & white striped socks, or when the stadium lights bould be turned off at Bearcat stadium and the band would play Cherokee in front of the crowd while the twirlers twirled battons that were actualy on fire.

Clara Allen

Quote from: Jabali on December 18, 2014, 02:47:10 pm

I was hoping for the same thing. Like when Charleston use to on occasion wear the black & white striped socks, or when the stadium lights bould be turned off at Bearcat stadium and the band would play Cherokee in front of the crowd while the twirlers twirled battons that were actualy on fire.

Me too.  Lamar's fireworks have been a tradition at least since I've been here.  One that you don't often see at the football games is the famous "Clickety Clack".  This started in the '70's   It died off for a long time, my girls( cheerleaders) learned it and perform it.   The old timers love it!

WPWells

Lamar has a tradition of setting off fireworks on incomplete passes too!

Clara Allen

Me too.  Lamar's fireworks have been a tradition at least since I've been here.  One that you don't often see at the football games is the famous "Clickety Clack".  This started in the '70's   It died off for a long time, my girls( cheerleaders) learned it and perform it.   The old timers love it!

gold45

Now THAT'S a tradition I miss and would love to see revived!

YC

Have to be careful with those fire battons. Clarksville put up a homemade tunnel and smoke device at Bearcat stadium and caught the field on fire. 

YC

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on December 18, 2014, 03:39:44 pm

Hahahaha...hehehehe...........yep

Jabali

Quote from: IofthaTiger on December 18, 2014, 06:55:19 pm

Have to be careful with those fire battons. Clarksville put up a homemade tunnel and smoke device at Bearcat stadium and caught the field on fire.
I was watching Paris at Booneville one time and this particular time Booneville was working them over pretty good. The cannon was being fired about every two minutes and there was a blanket of smoke covering the stadium about 50' off the ground. Booneville scored another couple of touchdowns but the cannon didn't go off. About 5 minutes later I seen one of the Bowden boys from Ione being led out of the stadium by 2 other boys. Every hair on his head was pointing straight backwards and his eyebrows looked green. Smelled like burned feathers when he walked by. True storey.

whippersnapper

Gonna be tomorrow on the numbers for the teams. Had some stuff come up

Clara Allen

Quote from: IofthaTiger on December 18, 2014, 06:56:31 pm
Quote from: 12th Man CHS on December 18, 2014, 03:39:44 pm

Hahahaha...hehehehe...........yep

Yeah we tend to get a little over zealous sometimes!! Equally exciting when disgruntled Paris fans kick the fireworks tube out of the ground and the fireworks shoot across the field.  That was interesting!   Also why the fireworks got moved behind the scoreboard

minerjack

The town of Booneville might need to worry about where their football program is headed. Big news coming out of there in the next few weeks.

gold45

Quote from: minerjack2212 on December 18, 2014, 09:18:00 pm
The town of Booneville might need to worry about where their football program is headed. Big news coming out of there in the next few weeks.

Unless the news involves the cancellation of football, I doubt it will be anything they can't overcome. 

nastynice

Quote from: minerjack2212 on December 18, 2014, 09:18:00 pm
I know what you are talking about.  Someone always steps up.  No one is unreplaceable!

Plus, your news is old news anyway!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas