• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4A State Bracket 2019

Started by Brian G, February 09, 2019, 12:16:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

Scorpius

Sports Guru

My prediction is

Mills vs Magnolia for the State Championship

Mills wins it all

slawdawg millionaire

Here is the tournament schedule:

Class 4A tournament
At Magnolia
(Seeding in parentheses)
Boys
Wednesday, Feb. 27

Game 1: Dardanelle (3N) vs. Camden Fairview (4S), 2:30 p.m.
Game 2: LR McClellan (3E) vs. Ozark (4N), 5:30 p.m.
Game 3: Star City (2S) vs. Westside (4E), 8:30 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 28
Game 4: Morrilton (2N) vs. Magnolia (3S), 2:30 p.m.
Game 5: LR Mills (1E) vs. Game 1 winner, 5:30 p.m.
Game 6: Monticello (1S) vs. Game 2 winner, 8:30 p.m.
Friday, March 1
Game 7: Pottsville (1N) vs. Game 3 winner, 5:30 p.m.
Game 8: Blytheville (2E) vs. Game 4 winner, 8:30 p.m.
Saturday, March 2
Game 9: Game 5 winner vs. Game 6 winner, 1:30 p.m.
Game 10: Game 7 winner vs. Game 8 winner, 7:30 p.m.
Girls
Wednesday, Feb. 27

Game 1: Farmington (3N) vs. Nashville (4S), 1 p.m.
Game 2: Brookland (3E) vs. Clarksville (4N), 4 p.m.
Game 3: De Queen (2S) vs. Highland (4E), 7 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 28
Game 4: Berryville (2N) vs. Warren (3S), 1 p.m.
Game 5: Batesville (1E) vs. Game 1 winner, 4 p.m.
Game 6: Star City (1S) vs. Game 2 winner, 7 p.m.
Friday, March 1
Game 7: Harrison (1N) vs. Game 3 winner, 4 p.m.
Game 8: Pulaski Academy (2E) vs. Game 4 winner, 7 p.m.
Saturday, March 2
Game 9: Game 5 winner vs. Game 6 winner, noon
Game 10: Game 7 winner vs. Game 8 winner, 6 p.m.
NOTE: All finals are played March 7-9 at Bank OZK Arena in Hot Springs.

Greatdane6

My Question is Why there didn't rotate the Byes For the Region this year correct me if I'm wrong but should have been the North Region was supposed to have The Two Byes this year And Didn't the The East had Two Byes last year? And they got it again This 4A State Tournament Bracket Sucks. The 3A Format 2A And even 1A format looks way better than just having Three Region. Everybody Thoughts or am I Tripping?

J12

Quote from: Greatdane6 on February 24, 2019, 07:49:11 am
My Question is Why there didn't rotate the Byes For the Region this year correct me if I'm wrong but should have been the North Region was supposed to have The Two Byes this year And Didn't the The East had Two Byes last year? And they got it again This 4A State Tournament Bracket Sucks. The 3A Format 2A And even 1A format looks way better than just having Three Region. Everybody Thoughts or am I Tripping?

The East did get 2 byes last year.  I don't like the odd number of regions either, BUT it comes down number of 4A schools being much less than 3A-1A.

I wish they'd make 4 regions (North, South, Central, & East), take top 2 from each and make 8 team
State tournament.

bbfb2016

The bottom half of the boys bracket is tough. There will be some great games in Magnolia from that side for sure.

Ice Water

I've mentioned this before when 2A and the old 4A used this bracket, but it continues to baffle me how this bracket structure gets approved. It actually rewards teams for losing in the region.

1) Morrilton made the regional finals, Dardenelle did not.
2) Morrilton is "rewarded" for that semifinal win by drawing the South 3 seed (Magnolia), while Dardenelle is "punished" for losing in the semis by drawing the South 4 seed (Fairview).
2b) From the other side of things, when Magnolia & Fairview played for 3rd & 4th, the winner of that game is "rewarded" with drawing a 2 seed (Morrilton), while the loser draws a 3 seed (Dardenelle). From the same region.
3) And of course, there is an inexplicable 1 & 2 from the same region on the same side of the bracket.

All of this is completely avoidable. Even with a 12 team, 3 region bracket. It's not too complicated to structure a bracket that keeps 1 seeds opposite from the 2s and 3s from the same region. And it's not hard to make sure teams are not rewarded for losing. Will it make a major difference in determining who the absolute best team is? Maybe not. But we can at least start with a proper bracket.

x14113

I wonder if this is the first time Ozark has played a LRPS in any sport...?

StevenGlen

Fantastic, if Pottsville and Morrilton with their first round games they would meet with a trip to Hot Springs on the line.  Nice, except these two teams have already played each other FOUR times.  The Apaches and Devil Dogs have played twice in Morrilton, once in Pottsville, and once in Ozark.  Come on AAA it would have taken very little work to not have this happen.  There are a couple of good suggestion in this thread on how this could have been avoided. 

End of my gripe, no matter who plays it will be fun to have the opportunity to broadcast a State Tournament.

Steve

byvark

And why are Harrison and Berryville in the same ultimate bracket to end up meeting for the fourth time, similar to Steve Glen's comments above.  Could they not have put them in a different configuration?

J12

Quote from: StevenGlen on February 24, 2019, 04:21:36 pm
Fantastic, if Pottsville and Morrilton with their first round games they would meet with a trip to Hot Springs on the line.  Nice, except these two teams have already played each other FOUR times.  The Apaches and Devil Dogs have played twice in Morrilton, once in Pottsville, and once in Ozark.  Come on AAA it would have taken very little work to not have this happen.  There are a couple of good suggestion in this thread on how this could have been avoided. 

End of my gripe, no matter who plays it will be fun to have the opportunity to broadcast a State Tournament.

Steve

Pottsville and Morrilton won't meet again for a trip to Hot Springs. So won't have to worry about AAA ruining that for ya. However, Blytheville & Westside might meet for the 5th time to do so.

MR.GOMAB

Quote from: J12 on February 24, 2019, 06:12:56 pm
Pottsville and Morrilton won't meet again for a trip to Hot Springs. So won't have to worry about AAA ruining that for ya. However, Blytheville & Westside might meet for the 5th time to do so.

Might...We will see!

bbfb2016

Will any of these games be streamed?

MR.GOMAB

Quote from: bbfb2016 on February 24, 2019, 06:51:34 pm
Will any of these games be streamed?

I will check with the school district and post some information on that this week before the first games on Wednesday.

J12

Quote from: MR.GOMAB on February 24, 2019, 07:03:41 pm
I will check with the school district and post some information on that this week before the first games on Wednesday.

As of last year, it was against AAA rules to have live video streaming. I'm sure if ya asked a rep about it, you'd be fed some BS, but they definitely should be

RunninJoe

They should definitely live stream. The early start times added to the almost 4 hour drive (for me - it's probably more for others) makes it hard on fans.

CTEPirateFan

Not exactly against the rules to have a livestream, but the AAA has to approve it by my understanding. End of page 33 and beginning of page 34 http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Golf/2018-19_AAA_Handbook.pdf

J12

Quote from: CTEPirateFan on February 25, 2019, 01:06:23 am
Not exactly against the rules to have a livestream, but the AAA has to approve it by my understanding. End of page 33 and beginning of page 34 http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Golf/2018-19_AAA_Handbook.pdf

Unless they've changed their stance on it,  they won't "approve" it.

Frank Abagnale Jr.

If I remember correctly, several football teams streamed their playoff games. The state championship was only streamed on NFC's network and select tv markets. Is it different for basketball? I'm sure you just have to pay some money.

J12

Quote from: Frank Abagnale Jr. on February 25, 2019, 07:42:57 am
If I remember correctly, several football teams streamed their playoff games. The state championship was only streamed on NFC's network and select tv markets. Is it different for basketball? I'm sure you just have to pay some money.

There were 2 entities that wanted to stream the games live last year at Brookland & both were told that it was prohibited by the AAA

2 companies that streamed games all year, including district tournament games.

Gray lizard

I will make it to watch Pottsville on Friday.  Long drive but if they are playing I be there to support them
Go Apaches[/b]

wait4it

Mena streamed the regional tournament on their FB page.

beach bum

The two potential quarterfinal matchups that I am looking forward to the most if the two teams I want to win can win their first round game to set up these potential matchups....

If Westside can take care of Star City then a potential Pottsville vs Westside could be a great matchup. Westside's offensive firepower when they are clicking vs what has been a stout Pottsville defense.

Then I like Magnolia in a close game over Morrilton since Magnolia is at home. That would have Blytheville vs Magnolia in the quarterfinals being played on a Friday night. Blytheville would be the obvious better team, but trying to win on Magnolia's court in that atmosphere would be so tough.

That is why I am rooting for Westside to take care of business and Magnolia to win their round 1 game. It would set up two really good quarterfinal matchups. The bottom half of the bracket is just way more interesting in general cause teams closer in talent combined with Magnolia on their home court. The top has the favorite Mills, but does not look as competitive as the bottom will be.

beach bum

Quote from: Ice Water on February 24, 2019, 01:11:36 pm
I've mentioned this before when 2A and the old 4A used this bracket, but it continues to baffle me how this bracket structure gets approved. It actually rewards teams for losing in the region.

1) Morrilton made the regional finals, Dardenelle did not.
2) Morrilton is "rewarded" for that semifinal win by drawing the South 3 seed (Magnolia), while Dardenelle is "punished" for losing in the semis by drawing the South 4 seed (Fairview).
2b) From the other side of things, when Magnolia & Fairview played for 3rd & 4th, the winner of that game is "rewarded" with drawing a 2 seed (Morrilton), while the loser draws a 3 seed (Dardenelle). From the same region.
3) And of course, there is an inexplicable 1 & 2 from the same region on the same side of the bracket.

All of this is completely avoidable. Even with a 12 team, 3 region bracket. It's not too complicated to structure a bracket that keeps 1 seeds opposite from the 2s and 3s from the same region. And it's not hard to make sure teams are not rewarded for losing. Will it make a major difference in determining who the absolute best team is? Maybe not. But we can at least start with a proper bracket.

Morrilton got screwed all around.... They not only play a better seed now, but also play on Magnolia's home court. Football also does this too. I see sometimes a team gets a better matchup in round 1 by losing a game. Makes no sense whatsoever. They sadly should have lost in the regionals the way its set up.

casper07

Quote from: beach bum on February 25, 2019, 10:12:06 am
Morrilton got screwed all around.... They not only play a better seed now, but also play on Magnolia's home court. Football also does this too. I see sometimes a team gets a better matchup in round 1 by losing a game. Makes no sense whatsoever. They sadly should have lost in the regionals the way its set up.
got to beat em all to win it all

Gray lizard

It is State now win or go home.

beach bum

February 25, 2019, 10:19:15 am #28 Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 10:20:53 am by beach bum
Quote from: casper07 on February 25, 2019, 10:17:44 am
got to beat em all to win it all

I get what you are saying, but still does not get past the point the AAA didn't even draw up a proper bracket lol. Its really not that hard to do either.

How the cookie crumbled though set up for such a competitive bottom half of the bracket.... Fans should get their money worth in pretty much all those games down there.

casper07

Quote from: beach bum on February 25, 2019, 10:19:15 am
I get what you are saying, but still does not get past the point the AAA didn't even draw up a proper bracket lol. Its really not that hard to do either.

How the cookie crumbled though set up for such a competitive bottom half of the bracket.... Fans should get their money worth in pretty much all those games down there.

it alternates each year. Same brackets each year they just alternate north south east. Like you said it's how the cookie crumbles.

mountainman

February 25, 2019, 07:43:09 pm #30 Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 07:54:44 pm by mountainman
About all the schools 4A-1 teams streamed their regionals basketball games at morrilton. I watched them.

MR.GOMAB

1A is streaming their state tourney on Youtube @ https://youtu.be/yxcRVfciltc

5A is streaming theirs as well on Youtube @ https://youtu.be/JnRj8R4hFbY

I hope Magnolia does the same!!

Greatdane6

February 27, 2019, 05:11:28 am #32 Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 06:55:08 am by Greatdane6
Quote from: beach bum on February 25, 2019, 10:12:06 am
Well Morrilton kinda of did get get screwed over and imagined this. If the Brackets was rotated right Which it rotates By Region. The North should have Two Byes Morrilton Has a First round bye. The Bracket should have been like this: Similar to 2016
http://www.maxpreps.com/tournament/AILAzUEIEeW-8KA2nzwbTA/ZBzeGEEnEeW-8KA2nzwbTA/basketball-winter-15-16/2016-boys-basketball-state-tournament-brackets-2016-4a-boys-bb-state-bracket.htm Which Baptist Prep Won Beat Malvern 2016 State Tourney was in Malvern

If you look at the Seedings And this is Three years ago It should have been This Bracket. Where the North has Two Byes

Two Years Ago The Sourh had Two Byes :2017 Tourney site Nashville

Last Year The East Had Two Byes: 2018T Tourney site Brookland

And Now This Year And East has Two Byes Again

The 4A Bracket is A Joke even if y'all understand or in my case Don't understand the fact of having Three Region is already a Joke, but At Least get the yearly Rotation Right!!!!

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: MR.GOMAB on February 26, 2019, 02:42:39 pm

Any Magnolia folk here confirm whether they will jump on board for this? Maybe help make it happen?

StevenGlen

Quote from: MR.GOMAB on February 26, 2019, 02:42:39 pm

Either 3 or 4 years ago when Magnolia last hosted the State Event I'm about 99% sure they had a live stream that could be watched.  I'd be very surprised if they did not again this year.

J12

Quote from: StevenGlen on February 27, 2019, 08:51:06 am
Either 3 or 4 years ago when Magnolia last hosted the State Event I'm about 99% sure they had a live stream that could be watched.  I'd be very surprised if they did not again this year.

Yes please!

5A was fun to watch last night. Poor JHS lost.  :)

OB11

Quote from: J12 on February 27, 2019, 09:03:22 am
Yes please!

5A was fun to watch last night. Poor JHS lost.  :)

They can't make the finals EVERY year. Got to give someone else a chance. Lol

HogCall11

If anyone finds a livestream for the Tourney will they post it here?

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: HogCall11 on February 27, 2019, 10:55:00 am
If anyone finds a livestream for the Tourney will they post it here?
Magnolia's page dedicated to this tournament only boasts a Live Tourney bracket, which in anticlimactic fashion, simply links to the Maxpreps site.

JessieP

The games have started, do we have eye's on the target? Anyone giving updates? FF has some awesome reporters. Is there any livestreams?

HogCall11

I'm watching Farmington Cardinals Live on You Tube.

MR.GOMAB

mountainman

Dardanelle  and Camden Fairview is streamed  on Camden fairview high school basketball.

Gray lizard

Quote from: mountainman on February 27, 2019, 02:24:50 pm
Dardanelle  and Camden Fairview is streamed  on Camden fairview high school basketball.
You have a link or site.

MR.GOMAB

February 27, 2019, 02:43:14 pm #45 Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 02:45:53 pm by MR.GOMAB

Gray lizard

MR.GOMAB

Quote from: Gray lizard on February 27, 2019, 02:46:43 pm
only thing I found wants a credit card # and little fishy.

Same here!

Mr.Magnolia06

I don't see anything live streaming

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: Mr.Magnolia06 on February 27, 2019, 02:51:52 pm
I don't see anything live streaming
Hook, line, and sinker. We should know better when someone posts that in 2 places then never replies, we all took the bait.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas