• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Athletes vs basketball players.

Started by pootnscoot, May 09, 2014, 10:13:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pootnscoot

360's and passes with flare are a thing of beauty. It sure would be nice if the players could make a layup, hit a clutch free throw and a wide open jump shot from 12 feet . Boxing out, weakside rebounding and making the extra pass is probably asking for 2 much. I might be testy today due to being reminded that we are losing a few more 1A schools this year. Played a few games in the Black Rock gym myself. Watched the Chuck Norris classic" Good guys wear black" last night. Black maybe. Purple and gold. Nope.

bball101

Batman44

Well, you started a good topic for discussion. Totally agree with you on the athletes vs basketball players. I'll leave the purple and gold discussion for you and the others:) Personally, I think Concord did very well in their purple and gold.

pootnscoot

Concord= well coached team of basketball players. with rings.

FreeMoney

Quote from: pootnscoot on May 09, 2014, 02:09:25 pm
Concord= well coached team of basketball players. with rings.
Not bad athletes either

Baller4life23

Scranton wore purple and gold. Not too bad either

pootnscoot

I'm thinking about buying Buckley the Pug a purple and gold sweater, changing my username to Darth Poot, coming over to the dark side and becoming a Bay fan.

Real deal

Quote from: pootnscoot on May 11, 2014, 05:35:37 pm
I'm thinking about buying Buckley the Pug a purple and gold sweater, changing my username to Darth Poot, coming over to the dark side and becoming a Bay fan.

Come on over you won't be sorry!!  Come on poot!!

hitemgogetem

I'll show my age in how I'll respond to this one.......

I remember the time when really good basketball players were considered good basketball players because they could SHOOT.  Now everyone is considered a good player if they can jump high/dunk, and run....

Heaven forbid one of them be able to shoot better than 60% on their free throws, consistently make a mid-range shot, or play with their back to the basket.....and don't get me started on rebounds. 

The professionals are supposed to reflect the best the game has to offer.......the NBA has become more and more a dunk/3 point league every season............and I just LOVE watching a pick &roll play ON EVERY POSSESSION(sarcasm font still needed).

Riveting stuff I'm sure..(where's that sarcasm font again?)...but I'll switch over  to something else after about 3 trips down the floor........ugh.

Real deal

Quote from: hitemgogetem on May 11, 2014, 09:58:36 pm
I'll show my age in how I'll respond to this one.......

I remember the time when really good basketball players were considered good basketball players because they could SHOOT.  Now everyone is considered a good player if they can jump high/dunk, and run....

Heaven forbid one of them be able to shoot better than 60% on their free throws, consistently make a mid-range shot, or play with their back to the basket.....and don't get me started on rebounds. 

The professionals are supposed to reflect the best the game has to offer.......the NBA has become more and more a dunk/3 point league every season............and I just LOVE watching a pick &roll play ON EVERY POSSESSION(sarcasm font still needed).

Riveting stuff I'm sure..(where's that sarcasm font again?)...but I'll switch over  to something else after about 3 trips down the floor........ugh.

Very well put!!!  Plus 1!!

Batman44

Totally agree with hitman, even if it does show our age!

Oldref

Hey we could even bring back the three man weave and a actual jump ball instead of alternating possession. We worked a lot on tip plays back in my day and how to score off them. Wait........we can't do that bacause officials these days cant properly even throw the ball up one time a game :-)  I like to watch teams that can score and know how to shoot jump shots. Not many of them left that do that these days.

pootnscoot

I cannot watch an NBA game. I gave up on that league after #23 retired. The modern NBA player looks great in the pregame warm up and sometimes in the last two minutes of the game. The NBA poster child  Lebron has an unbelievable skill set and is a freakish athlete but has the killer instinct and leadership ability of a butterfly. I got spoiled in the 80's and enjoyed the Bulls in the 90's but have no use for the current crop of stars who are more concerned with image building and shoe contracts than winning rings. I'll address the college game later.

hitemgogetem

Quote from: pootnscoot on May 12, 2014, 10:48:46 am
I cannot watch an NBA game. I gave up on that league after #23 retired. The modern NBA player looks great in the pregame warm up and sometimes in the last two minutes of the game. The NBA poster child  Lebron has an unbelievable skill set and is a freakish athlete but has the killer instinct and leadership ability of a butterfly. I got spoiled in the 80's and enjoyed the Bulls in the 90's but have no use for the current crop of stars who are more concerned with image building and shoe contracts than winning rings. I'll address the college game later.

You put the college game 'carrot' in front of this mule......and I'm following it.
Kentucky for example had a great run in the NCAA tournament this year.....and what was their predominant offense?  Put your head down and drive to the basket......literally put your head down and plow through whatever/whoever is in your way.....(several other teams made it to the later rounds with the same approach....Kansas being another)

Most of their possesions looked like a rugby scrum resulting in a wild shot/foul (with a poor percentage of free throws made afterwards)....and the occasional made basket.....mixed in with a fair amount of turnovers.

Kick it out for a 12 foot uncontested shot?!.......I dunno coach.  That's too much like a free throw...and you know I don't shoot those very well.........and no headlines or ESPN top 10's come from those.

Batman44

I have even become soured on college bb. Most anyone can play street ball. Where are the set plays, rebounding, blocking out, in bound plays, etc. Guess I'm mostly referring to the Razorbacks. That's why I enjoy HS ball, such as Concord, Cedar Ridge, etc. so much. That's my two cents worth. Probably get a penny back in change:)

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Batman44 on May 12, 2014, 11:44:32 am
I have even become soured on college bb. Most anyone can play street ball. Where are the set plays, rebounding, blocking out, in bound plays, etc. Guess I'm mostly referring to the Razorbacks. That's why I enjoy HS ball, such as Concord, Cedar Ridge, etc. so much. That's my two cents worth. Probably get a penny back in change:)

I think the disciplined offense is why I enjoy the teams like County Line so much, and why I am so dead set against a shot clock being used in high school ball...Nothing wrong with throwing the ball around the key until the defense slips and gives you the look you want.

Batman44

I agree. A lot of people thought that Monticello-Brookland game was a hold it-stall kind of game, but from what I heard, that really wasn't the case at all. Good defense will always beat good offense, and vice versa. Lol

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Batman44 on May 12, 2014, 02:24:30 pm
I agree. A lot of people thought that Monticello-Brookland game was a hold it-stall kind of game, but from what I heard, that really wasn't the case at all. Good defense will always beat good offense, and vice versa. Lol

Not always....Trying to ride athleticism will get you beat against good defenses though...

Batman44

Their coach(Gross) is definitely known for his defense.

pootnscoot

Quote from: Real deal on May 11, 2014, 08:54:03 pm

The conversion is going poorly.

pootnscoot

Buckley wants a pair of neuticles to replace his lost manware in exchange for wearing the sweater and I cannot figure out how to change my username to Darth Poot.  We may be stuck in the good guys locker room.

Real deal

Quote from: pootnscoot on May 13, 2014, 09:36:00 am

Buckley wants a pair of neuticles to replace his lost manware in exchange for wearing the sweater and I cannot figure out how to change my username to Darth Poot.  We may be stuck in the good guys locker room.

Lol, ok as far as the topic goes.  The best teams at any level (most of the time) are still the ones that can shoot the basketball, play good D, have at least one or two players with mid-range game, and can make free throws.  Players that can shoot the three, stop on a dime and shoot it, and make free throws plus play D and make their teammates better are the 5 star guys.  There really aren't as many out there as there used to be.

Bulldog555

5 star by whose standard? Great teams only require good players, not great 5 star or D1 prospects. Sound fundamentals, great discipline, & good shooting. Great to watch! Too rare!!!

Real deal

May 13, 2014, 10:36:42 pm #23 Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:38:19 pm by Real deal
Quote from: Bulldog555 on May 13, 2014, 09:02:21 pm
5 star by whose standard? Great teams only require good players, not great 5 star or D1 prospects. Sound fundamentals, great discipline, & good shooting. Great to watch! Too rare!!!

Didn't say anything about d-1 prospects. Players that I'm talking about may not be college prospects at all but they can still be good high school players. Now you get to talking about big time d-1 and then onto nba if they can do those 5 things plus they are freak athletes you get the greatest players. There are many players that make it all levels because they are athletic and do certain things well. I think we agree here

J.D.

Quote from: pootnscoot on May 12, 2014, 10:48:46 am

The leadership ability of a butterfly.  Wow.

Basketball

Quote from: pootnscoot on May 09, 2014, 10:13:32 am
360's and passes with flare are a thing of beauty. It sure would be nice if the players could make a layup, hit a clutch free throw and a wide open jump shot from 12 feet . Boxing out, weakside rebounding and making the extra pass is probably asking for 2 much. I might be testy today due to being reminded that we are losing a few more 1A schools this year. Played a few games in the Black Rock gym myself. Watched the Chuck Norris classic" Good guys wear black" last night. Black maybe. Purple and gold. Nope.
Sounds like a good description of the hogs, and they make me sick.

Real deal

Quote from: Basketball on May 14, 2014, 08:59:07 pm

Absolutely!!  Man I miss the early 90's

pootnscoot

Quote from: Real deal on May 15, 2014, 06:31:18 am
Quote from: Basketball on May 14, 2014, 08:59:07 pm

Absolutely!!  Man I miss the early 90's
[/quote   The Hogs were a major disappointment this year. A few less Sportscenter highlights and a few more wins would of been nice. 10 minute scoring droughts are ridiculous,

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas