• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Malvern Coaching Job

Started by THE D.O.C, November 07, 2018, 02:27:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

THE D.O.C

RZback

THE D.O.C

RZback

Thetruth11

Quote from: RZback on November 07, 2018, 06:42:32 pm
Any truth to this story?
I've got family in malvern, I'll ask them asap

Pat Swilling

youhavenoidea

If true, I think they need to bring in a coach not tied to the current staff.  And maybe clean a little house with the coaches as well.  No reason Malvern should drop off as much as they have in the last few years. I get that talent comes and goes, but the games I watched this year looked like kids that had no coaching, playing against well coached teams.

TrenchHogs

Yes this job is open. It was posted on their district site this morning. Another interesting search along with the Cabot job in 7A.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: youhavenoidea on November 08, 2018, 09:47:11 am
If true, I think they need to bring in a coach not tied to the current staff.  And maybe clean a little house with the coaches as well.  No reason Malvern should drop off as much as they have in the last few years. I get that talent comes and goes, but the games I watched this year looked like kids that had no coaching, playing against well coached teams.
You know it's really hard to clean house in Arkansas?

youhavenoidea

Quote from: Oldman on November 08, 2018, 10:29:44 am
You know it's really hard to clean house in Arkansas?
Yes and no, coaches can be reassigned and given different duties.  As long as pay doesn't change, any public school employee can be reassigned.  It all depends on if the Administration wants to really make a change.  Also contracts for teachers and coaches are generally only one year.

The Coach

Quote from: youhavenoidea on November 08, 2018, 10:58:15 am
Yes and no, coaches can be reassigned and given different duties.  As long as pay doesn't change, any public school employee can be reassigned.  It all depends on if the Administration wants to really make a change.  Also contracts for teachers and coaches are generally only one year.

Better have a better reason then Wins and Losses to reassign or not renew a teachers contract.

justafan33

Malvern senior high just lacks the numbers of talent they had in the past,  however,  the junior high is loaded with upcoming talent

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: The Coach on November 08, 2018, 11:16:50 am
Better have a better reason then Wins and Losses to reassign or not renew a teachers contract.
Much harder to do with several as in cleaning house.

RZback

The outgoing coach has had a little better than average tenure compared to the last 20 years it seems.  Malvern has struggled most of the time.

HeberFan

I think Malvern would do better if they brought in about three dozen, tremendously talented players.

Big Fan

Quote from: HeberFan on November 08, 2018, 01:58:56 pm
I think Malvern would do better if they brought in about three dozen, tremendously talented players.
The "Guy V Lewis" coaching strategy....I like it!

THE D.O.C

I'm reading too many comments on the talent level at Malvern. Malvern has always had talented kids, good coaches learn how to adapt with what talent level they have, may not win state but they compete. Scarborough was a good DC at Malvern but maybe not a HC.  Arkadelphia lost several seniors last year and are competing this year, Bauxite is relevant, Ashdown is down but they compete. Malvern, for the 1st time in program history went 0-10. I can't base this solely on talent, especially with the history of this program having Razorbacks, ASU, HSU, OBU.......etc.,  and former NFL players.

Oldbadger

Quote from: THE D.O.C on November 08, 2018, 04:59:43 pm
I'm reading too many comments on the talent level at Malvern. Malvern has always had talented kids, good coaches learn how to adapt with what talent level they have, may not win state but they compete. Scarborough was a good DC at Malvern but maybe not a HC.  Arkadelphia lost several seniors last year and are competing this year, Bauxite is relevant, Ashdown is down but they compete. Malvern, for the 1st time in program history went 0-10. I can't base this solely on talent, especially with the history of this program having Razorbacks, ASU, HSU, OBU.......etc.,  and former NFL players.
I  watched Malvern play Arkadelphia. There wasn't any noticeable talent. I doubt any coach could have done anything with them. That just happens sometimes. I really think in two years you will see the old Leopards back. Someone else will be down, etc.

RZback

Quote from: THE D.O.C on November 08, 2018, 04:59:43 pm

I don't think those coaches just forgot how to coach.  0-10 is by far their worst season and I never see coaches win with poor talent.  You don't know how good the talent is or isn't until you get on the practice field with them, and you know how hard they are willing to work.  Without both you just don't win unless you play equally untalented and unmotivated players.   I remember Barry Lunny having either a 1-9 or 0-10 season at one point.  Guess he was just a bad coach.

THE D.O.C

Quote from: RZback on November 08, 2018, 10:52:53 pm
I don't think those coaches just forgot how to coach.  0-10 is by far their worst season and I never see coaches win with poor talent.  You don't know how good the talent is or isn't until you get on the practice field with them, and you know how hard they are willing to work.  Without both you just don't win unless you play equally untalented and unmotivated players.   I remember Barry Lunny having either a 1-9 or 0-10 season at one point.  Guess he was just a bad coach.
RZback, you were at the last game of the year, key players didn't play.

bigunit11

If they had any " key " players, they must have help them out all year.

TrenchHogs

I see coaches sometimes get "stuck in their ways" and it costs their programs. Coaches must be willing to change style for what fits their players the best. Growing up we were a Double Wing team. We had the size and speed to run it effectively. My senior year, our coach decided he wanted to try and switch to a spread offense because we had several big and very athletic guys move in who could catch the ball. It costs us some points in several ball games early on in the year. Each game our coach would always go back to the Double Wing after a couple series and our offense started clicking again, moving the ball and scoring points. Thankfully he recognized that and we finished the season 9-3 with a quarterfinal matchup at Malvern and having beat several much larger schools out of Missouri.
My point in saying all that, is it is up to coaches to change things up to fit the players abilities best. With a coach who has been somewhere for awhile sometimes that doesn't happen.

FBFan92

From what I'm hearing they are going after Burnett at Hot Springs.  He coached there before going to Bryant.  Just curious if anyone else is hearing that.

GotInfo?

From what I hear, he will be the first person that they reach out to...
Also hear that Norsworthy, who is on staff, might get a look.  Has a lot of college coaching experience with a lot of success.

THE D.O.C

I'm hearing Burnett also. He's young, smart and played at HSU

gameoflife

Quote from: THE D.O.C on November 09, 2018, 11:44:36 am

What's his HC record?

i40traveler

Why would he leave hot springs for malvern?

Coltfan2005

Quote from: The Coach on November 08, 2018, 11:16:50 am

Not so. You can renew a TEACHER'S contract and not renew his coaching position. Easy as pie and legal in this state.

Missco

In Missouri a school district doesn't have to renew either until they become tenured. Overall this helps their athletic programs.

Coltfan2005

Arkansas does not have what many think of when they hear "tenure". Statutes state this is not
a teacher tenure law "in that it does not confer lifetime appointment nor prevent discharge of teachers for any cause which is not arbitrary,capricious, or discriminatory."
Teachers/coaches can be dismissed for:
1. Reduction in work force
2. Incompetent performance
3. Conduct that materially interferes with continued performance of teacher's duties
4. Repeated or material neglect of duty
5. Other just or reasonable cause

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: HeberFan on November 08, 2018, 01:58:56 pm

Hire the Glen Rose coach.  This will keep keep the Malvern players in Malvern and bring Beavers to the big city.

THE D.O.C

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on November 11, 2018, 09:51:43 pm
Hire the Glen Rose coach.  This will keep keep the Malvern players in Malvern and bring Beavers to the big city.
Scarborough came from Glen Rose. My guess is Malvern will look to hire elsewhere maybe someone with no ties to the area.

youhavenoidea

Quote from: THE D.O.C on November 09, 2018, 11:44:36 am
This should be a job that attracts lots of good candidates.  I'm not sure Burnett is the best choice, He just took Hot Springs job last summer, what would that show players or admin about his commitment to program?  Would he then leave for another job the next year?

gameoflife

Who was there before Scarbrough?

HeberFan

I'm hearing Brett Bilema wants to be back in Arkansas.....

CoachRH

It really amazes me on the moves these coaches make!
Look at the programs that succeed. They do it over time with years of consistency with same coaches or with the same mind set.

THE D.O.C

Quote from: CoachRH on November 15, 2018, 08:54:09 pm
It really amazes me on the moves these coaches make!
Look at the programs that succeed. They do it over time with years of consistency with same coaches or with the same mind set.
Over the last few seasons Malvern has been on a steady decline. John Fogleman left for LR Catholic after 2013 season, Scarborough was hired as head coach 2014 . Scarborough is a mastermind as a defensive coach but just wasn't right as head coach at Malvern. His success stem from the 2014 season going 10-4, losing to Mena in semi finals. One could say those were Fogleman's kids.
2014- 10-4
2015-  6-5
2016-  4-6
2017 - 3-8
2018-  0-10

youhavenoidea

Anyone have an idea of the timeline for this hire? I know the HC from Hot Springs was mentioned but has there been any other names mentioned? What about the current staff? Is the admin serious about change or not?

#1thetruth

McClellan-Coach Moody would be a Great hire.
What he's done at McClellan should not go unnoticed. I've been watching him from afar.

THE D.O.C

Quote from: #1thetruth on November 16, 2018, 09:09:21 am
What he's done at McClellan should not go unnoticed. I've been watching him from afar.
I think a coach on his staff Terry Lawson played at Malvern.

OB11

My guess is that this job will be filled by a HC from a smaller classification, or a coordinator from somewhere looking to get into a HC job.

THE D.O.C

Quote from: OB11 on November 16, 2018, 09:37:49 am
My guess is that this job will be filled by a HC from a smaller classification, or a coordinator from somewhere looking to get into a HC job.
Do you really think a small school coach can transition into the 7-4A

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: THE D.O.C on November 16, 2018, 09:43:15 am
It's 4a football not the NFL.

OB11

Quote from: THE D.O.C on November 16, 2018, 09:43:15 am

Malzahn started his coaching career at Hughes. So I think it is possible, yes.

Jimbo Morphis

Wonder if Monticello wishes they had hired him?

AirWarren

Quote from: Oldman on November 16, 2018, 09:45:09 am

You must have missed their "media week" this year.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: AirWarren on November 16, 2018, 10:04:08 am
You must have missed their “media week” this year.
Aren't you glad Warren didn't hire a head coach from a big school a few years ago?

AirWarren

Quote from: Oldman on November 16, 2018, 10:16:12 am
Aren't you glad Warren didn't hire a head coach from a big school a few years ago?

Yup.

TrenchHogs

Been watching him since his days at Blytheville. He is a heck of a coach. His talent shouldn't go unnoticed.

THE D.O.C

Quote from: Oldman on November 16, 2018, 09:45:09 am
I'm curious to know where the coaches in 7-4A come from. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas