• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2A West Region Tournament @ Westside, Johnson County(CoalHill)

Started by HorseFeathers, February 22, 2015, 08:59:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Madmax

I guess at the end of the day ES decided they weren't going to risk kids lives to get to a basketball game.  If there's other school districts that felt like taking the risk and were able to get their kids there, so be it.  If their decision not to take that risk inconvenienced other people so be it.  In the big picture, high school basketball games are meaningless compared to risking a human life

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Well, I hope everyone who is going to make State, is making plans to get there early and be prepared for more winter weather. They have given a 3 day advance warning.

bighurt411

Quote from: HawgBall06 on March 01, 2015, 11:31:31 am
Quote from: DickieV on March 01, 2015, 09:49:57 am
I assume this means they will have semis on Monday and finals on Tuesday. Does this mean the entire state tournament will be pushed back a day?

I was told by a AAA official on Friday night that the state tourneys could not be moved/pushed back because of certain contracts.

The 2A State tournament was pushed back last year because of weather.

Madmax

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on March 02, 2015, 11:46:39 am
Well, I hope everyone who is going to make State, is making plans to get there early and be prepared for more winter weather. They have given a 3 day advance warning.
How do you even make advance plans?  Pangburn's in the middle of nowhere, nearest town with a hotel is Heber Springs.  In the case of winter weather, could a bus even make it to Heber Springs from Pangburn?  I see what you're saying, but how can you even plan for that with that location?

redrider30

Glad were not playing first day. NEA supposed to get 1-3 inches of sleet and 1-3 inches of snow on top of that on Wednesday followed by very cold weather. Doesn't look good.

BoxNOne

Quote from: RedWolf275 on March 02, 2015, 11:42:59 am
Maybe AAA needs to think about moving regionals to a Tuesday start instead of Wednesday.

This idea sounds good to me. Would allow an extra day for weather problems. I think Searcy is 15-20 miles from Pangburn.

NoPlace2

Unless someone can predict, to 100% accuracy, what the weather is going to do every year there is no way to make ANY changes and have them work all the time. There are all sorts of options – Shorten the Football season to start Basketball sooner and move everything up; shorten the non – conference Basketball Schedule and finish the Conference's sooner to start Post Season sooner; do away with the District Tourneys and seed the Regionals based on Conference Standings; Lengthen the non-Conference schedule and start the Conference schedule later so Districts, Regionals and State are later; Of course we've seen Ice Storms in April before too (and not just always in the north); or maybe everyone could just be patient and work with what you got – it is what it is and sometimes you just have to go with the it. I understand Vacation planning & such and that weather days are a pain in the a... but 'cmon – some of you sound worse than a bored impatient teenager! Mine is bent today because they got eliminated from Basketball and his Baseball game got cancelled today because there is snow on the ground. Whew!!!!! Life is a beach man!

HawgBall06

Quote from: bighurt411 on March 02, 2015, 11:53:16 am
Quote from: HawgBall06 on March 01, 2015, 11:31:31 am
Quote from: DickieV on March 01, 2015, 09:49:57 am
I assume this means they will have semis on Monday and finals on Tuesday. Does this mean the entire state tournament will be pushed back a day?

I was told by a AAA official on Friday night that the state tourneys could not be moved/pushed back because of certain contracts.

The 2A State tournament was pushed back last year because of weather.

Yes, it was last year but they have to wrap it up by Sunday due to testing next week.  I originally thought he said contracts, but talking to him yesterday he explained it is because of testing that starts next week.

MomaLion

Quote from: redrider30 on March 02, 2015, 11:32:06 am
Actually we drove to Hampton last year and roads could not have been any worse than they were in NE Arkansas. Took 5 hours to get to Searcy where roads cleared up at that point we were notified that tournament was postponed for another day. No one wants to put anyone at risk for a game but if all the other tournaments in the state are done, well I guess that says it all.
Exactly.

MomaLion

Quote from: Madmax on March 02, 2015, 11:55:00 am
Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on March 02, 2015, 11:46:39 am
How do you even make advance plans?  Pangburn's in the middle of nowhere, nearest town with a hotel is Heber Springs.  In the case of winter weather, could a bus even make it to Heber Springs from Pangburn?  I see what you're saying, but how can you even plan for that with that location?
Searcy would be the best option for sure.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

March 02, 2015, 01:36:21 pm #60 Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 01:40:58 pm by pick_DA_EAGLES
IF, every team stayed in searcy, the highway department could help out and make sure the road to pangburn was safe for travel. It would be a lot easier to maintain one road. Plenty of rooms in searcy too. Its 1 mile further than Heber, but a lot straighter.

Lions84

AAA needs to relax play it safe and play the games as soon as they can safely.

redrider30

Problem is the finals start next Thursday in Hot Springs. A lot of preparations go into those 4 days including the Wednesday before when teams that play Thursday practice. The convention center and Summit Arena probably have something already scheduled for the next week.

coach_r

Madmax

Ctucker

I live in the area around pangburn and if we get what there calling for,you would be crazy to drive a bus full of kids to searcy or heber both roads we'll be bad.

Ctucker

But it's not all bad because if you look at 1through 7a I would say the 2a is the most centrally located out of all of them.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Ctucker on March 02, 2015, 07:59:33 pm
I live in the area around pangburn and if we get what there calling for,you would be crazy to drive a bus full of kids to searcy or heber both roads we'll be bad.

That's why I said IF they would all stay in searcy, with a little help from the AHTD, getting to pangburn would be achievable.

Ctucker

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Ctucker

HawgBall06

Quote from: Madmax on March 02, 2015, 06:04:05 pm
Eureka Springs def. Bigelow 51 - 44.

I take it that this was the only game played in region 2 today?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: HawgBall06 on March 02, 2015, 08:31:24 pm

WYC lost to Conway st joe by a bunch in the other semi's matchup...And Quitman Upset Hector in the lone girls game played today....

HawgBall06

Quote from: HF on March 02, 2015, 08:32:24 pm

WYC lost to Conway st joe by a bunch in the other semi's matchup...And Quitman Upset Hector in the lone girls game played today....

Thanks, I was pulling for the Hector girls and sorry to see them lose.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: HawgBall06 on March 02, 2015, 08:35:05 pm
Quote from: HF on March 02, 2015, 08:32:24 pm

Thanks, I was pulling for the Hector girls and sorry to see them lose.

I just hope they take care of business in the consolation game so they can avoid Marmaduke in the 1st round....Might have a fightin chance against the rest of the North Region....maybe...

Sport718

Eureka won today and good for them considering all of the ignorance and hate they have been getting from alot of silly people. No school anywhere should ever risk the lives of kids for a basketball game. Some of us might need to 're examine our priorities if we are actually critical of a school that is cautious with the lives of their children. Comparing the drive to Hampton with a trip to Eureka is equally ridiculous. Let's get back to focussing on sportsmanship and enthusiasm and competitive greatness which is what this thread should be about.  Aren't we all in this together hoping to crown a champion who is worthy based on performance in the greatest game ever invented. Let's be fans and support our kids and stop all the useless whining.

Sport718

Quote from: Sport718 on March 03, 2015, 12:39:40 am
Eureka won today and good for them considering all of the ignorance and hate they have been getting from alot of silly people. No school anywhere should ever risk the lives of kids for a basketball game. Some of us might need to 're examine our priorities if we are actually critical of a school that is cautious with the lives of their children. Comparing the drive to Hampton with a trip to Eureka is equally ridiculous. Let's get back to focussing on sportsmanship and enthusiasm and competitive greatness which is what this thread should be about.  Aren't we all in this together hoping to crown a champion who is worthy based on performance in the greatest game ever invented. Let's be fans and support our kids and stop all the useless whining.

BICMUSTANG4LIFE

redrider30

Wasn't comparing the two trips. Simply stating roads couldn't have been any worse than they were. Also not saying they should risk kids lives. Was just wondering how other tournaments were completed if roads were that bad. Maybe they were wrong for finishing. Same issues will arise today and tomorrow. This is where you need a sanctioning body that is proactive and takes measures so that administrators aren't put in these positions. Like tomorrow they should see what's going to happen and cancel so teams aren't in route or get to Pangburn and are frozen in motels for days. That is just the AAA for you. No leadership unless someone drops a dime somewhere then they'll have someone there in a jiffy to pick it up.

Rackjack74

Yes

Girls finals JC Westside vs Quitman 1PM
Boys finals Conway St Joe vs Eureka Springs 2:30PM

Girls consolation  Conway Christian vs Hector
Boys consolation W Yell county vs Bigelow

Rackjack74

Rackjack74

pantherfan3

pantherfan3

Quote from: Sport718 on March 03, 2015, 12:39:40 am

Are you kidding me?  "Good for them because of ignorance and hate?"........not one person on this board hates Eureka Springs nor has any of the comments about when to play the games been targeted to their team.  Those boys don't make the decisions and were probably just as ready to play ball as the Bigelow Panthers were!!!  The comments that I made and have seen others make in agreement were clearly directed at ultra conservative administrations and the AAA--end of story.   Those boys didn't "deserve" to win because of any dreamed up hate on your part and the Bigelow Panthers certainly didn't "deserve" to lose because a few spoke out about thinking the games were being stalled unnecessarily.  That's ignorance!!

Rackjack74

Quote from: pantherfan3 on March 03, 2015, 02:30:58 pm
Go Quitman!!! :)

Thanks!  Not a bad showing for a team made up solely of ninth and tenth graders.
Good luck in today's consolation game.

Rackjack74

Rackjack74

Hootiethehog

Rackjack74

Madmax

Quote from: Rackjack74 on March 03, 2015, 03:46:19 pm
Boys
St Joe 56
Eureka 45
Final
Great game, close til the 4th, ES got killed on the boards, which has been their Achilles all season.  Props to St. Joe - fundamentally sound, well-coached team, and above all played with sportsmanship and class.

pantherfan3

Quote from: Rackjack74 on March 03, 2015, 02:58:36 pm

Thanks!  Not a bad showing for a team made up solely of ninth and tenth graders.

Totally agree--can't wait to see the next couple of years unfold for the girls at  Quitman! :) Thanks--we pulled out the 3rd place win tonight even if it was a tad ugly to begin with!

Rackjack74

Quote from: pantherfan3 on March 03, 2015, 09:39:39 pm
Quote from: Rackjack74 on March 03, 2015, 02:58:36 pm

Totally agree--can't wait to see the next couple of years unfold for the girls at  Quitman! :) Thanks--we pulled out the 3rd place win tonight even if it was a tad ugly to begin with!

If we can stay the course then it may get interesting.  We had to leave at ya'lls halftime.  Kids had homework.  Congrats on the win and good luck in Pangburn.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas