• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OFFSEASON: What offense would you run?

Started by AlumniLights, December 15, 2015, 07:13:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your style?

Run Heavy
14 (31.1%)
Pass Happy
7 (15.6%)
Balanced Run
24 (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Longfellow

Quote from: minerjack2212 on December 17, 2015, 04:07:03 pm
Quote from: Longfellow on December 15, 2015, 07:40:18 am
Instead of the shotgun formation, I would use a singleback I formation. You can spread it out just the same, but it gives your running back a downhill start and can also widen your splits a bit more
Single back?  I formation. That's kind of contradictory isn't it?
Well it can be. We've always called it the single I. If there was a fullback I would call it a power I. It's just a matter of terminology. I just said that so they would know the alignment of the halfback

minerjack

Power I is traditionally with two fullbacks and a tailback though?

Longfellow

That's what we called the full house backfield

HorseFeathers

Black and Gold

Let's not take anything too literal here miner

adaptedtigerfan

Welcome to FF B&G.  You have to be exact and your grammar has to be perfect or you will get torched!!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: adaptedtigerfan on December 17, 2015, 08:16:19 pm
Welcome to FF B&G.  You have to be exact and your grammar has to be perfect or you will get torched!!

Grammer spammer....just ignore the English teachers on here. Most are losing their argument or have nothing to add to the conversation when theyvresort to critiquing.

Ball Hawk

Quote from: minerjack2212 on December 17, 2015, 04:11:41 pm
Quote from: HF on December 15, 2015, 09:15:33 am
Triple option out of the 5 wide spread....
What??  Please tell me you're kidding.

HF prolly doesn't know but people actually do run triple option out of 5 wide.

On the 3 WR side, Run speed sweep with #3 WR, read backside end, #2 WR bubbles to the backside, #1 runs verty. The 2 WR side just blocks man on.

Triple option out of 5 wide.

WPWells

adaptedtigerfan

WPWells

He said people actually do run it, so I'm curious who

Skip Baymore

December 17, 2015, 11:46:26 pm #61 Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 12:18:30 am by Skip Baymore
Quote from: Ball Hawk on December 17, 2015, 08:35:17 pm

On the 3 WR side, Run speed sweep with #3 WR, read backside end, #2 WR bubbles to the backside, #1 runs verty. The 2 WR side just blocks man on.

That would be a quadruple option out of 5 wide given that the quarterback had a choice to run.   And the Q.B. could fake the hand off on the sweep based on what he's seeing and then pass to the #3 actually making it a quintuple option out of 5 wide.....

adaptedtigerfan

HF he could fake the handoff on the sweep and keep it himself.   Man I don't know why we don't see this 5 wide set on every single play.

Paperman

I played in a wishbone offense in junior high and high school, then moved to a school which ran a power I! There was something awesome about both offenses which made them work-the personnel! We had about 6 different blocking schemes in the bone and 3 times that many in the Power I! Both were of course run heavy, but our quarterbacks at both schools could chunk it and we had athletic receivers who could go get the ball when we did pass! My wishbone school almost never passed but when we did, it was usually a big play. I loved playing in both. After watching Harding play, I like what they did. Most schools just don't throw it 20-30 times a game at that level! Coach Mote had a qb and the receivers to make it work! Mostly short passes, but they made gay going over the top a few times to get big plays! I don't know, I still think I prefer to be able to run and control the clock!

Lineman

Quote from: Skip Baymore on December 17, 2015, 11:46:26 pm
Quote from: Ball Hawk on December 17, 2015, 08:35:17 pm

That would be a quadruple option out of 5 wide given that the quarterback had a choice to run.   And the Q.B. could fake the hand off on the sweep based on what he's seeing and then pass to the #3 actually making it a quintuple option out of 5 wide.....
You can't rule out the option of the fumblerooski.

minerjack

It's a modernized version of the triple. The spread's form. We call them RPO's. Or Run-Pass-Option.

minerjack

Although, I had hoped you weren't serious HF, I had seen one or two comments before when I was thinking "do these people know what in the world they're talking about??

OLDSCHOOL82

^ The triple option out of the spread the guy is talking about is not whats called the normal triple option.  Harding ran some of what hes meaning where the qb and tb run a zone read out of the shotgun in the backfield.  Qb keeps and runs his lane towards the corner.  Corner steps up, he dumps a short pass in the flats.  Corner sits on his heels, tucks and runs.  That may have three options, but so does many pass plays when a qb goes through his checks.  Anyways, that's not what is considered the triple option.

.... Anyways.... I like the spread bone.  Its a very technologically advanced offense that hasn't made it to the river valley yet!

Longfellow

That's the bubble option. Two Rivers ran some of that this year

minerjack

Right. It's not a traditional triple option. But neither is any other option that isn't a veer type option.  They now label RPO's as option.

adaptedtigerfan

I figured OLDSCHOOL was a fan of any bone.

OLDSCHOOL82

December 18, 2015, 11:02:45 am #71 Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 11:05:48 am by OLDSCHOOL82
Gotta watch ole adapted.

Ball Hawk

Ball Hawk

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on December 18, 2015, 09:02:32 am
^ The triple option out of the spread the guy is talking about is not whats called the normal triple option.  Harding ran some of what hes meaning where the qb and tb run a zone read out of the shotgun in the backfield.  Qb keeps and runs his lane towards the corner.  Corner steps up, he dumps a short pass in the flats.  Corner sits on his heels, tucks and runs.  That may have three options, but so does many pass plays when a qb goes through his checks.  Anyways, that's not what is considered the triple option.

.... Anyways.... I like the spread bone.  Its a very technologically advanced offense that hasn't made it to the river valley yet!

RPO's are triple option for spread teams.

Triple option doesn't have to be ran out of wishbone or veer.

WPWells

So you can't tell me a team? Aka you're making that up. You're acting like an expert but can't back things up. You know nothing

Ball Hawk

Quote from: Stewie on December 18, 2015, 12:25:07 pm
So you can't tell me a team? Aka you're making that up. You're acting like an expert but can't back things up. You know nothing

Have you ever heard of Baylor?

That would require you getting off a high school message board once in a while though.....

Longfellow

WPWells

That's not a triple option, clown. You've proven that you're an idiot blowhard

Ball Hawk

Quote from: Stewie on December 18, 2015, 12:28:29 pm
That's not a triple option, clown. You've proven that you're an idiot blowhard

Look at the resident clown on fearless friday, lol.

I can tell you have an inferior lack of knowledge. I'm sure that goes into all categories, not just football.

Baylor calls it a triple option.....I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Ball Hawk

OLDSCHOOL82

Just because there are three options on the play doesn't make it a triple option in the traditional sense.  What about when there are three routes to ck down?  That's three options.  Do we call that a triple option?  Or maybe quadruple option since the qb running would be the fourth?

Ball Hawk

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on December 18, 2015, 12:32:47 pm
Just because there are three options on the play doesn't make it a triple option in the traditional sense.  What about when there are three routes to ck down?  That's three options.  Do we call that a triple option?  Or maybe quadruple option since the qb running would be the fourth?

Are you being serious trying to compare a pass play to an rpo?

OLDSCHOOL82

^ Chill out hawk.  The term triple option applies to the midline/veer set up traditionally.  There are many, many offensive wrinkles that can implement an option.  TRADITIONALLY, run pass options are not whats considered TRIPLE OPTION FOOTBALL!

WPWells

I guess Ball Hawk doesn't realize who I am...

Ball Hawk

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on December 18, 2015, 12:39:04 pm
^ Chill out hawk.  The term triple option applies to the midline/veer set up traditionally.  There are many, many offensive wrinkles that can implement an option.  TRADITIONALLY, run pass options are not whats considered TRIPLE OPTION FOOTBALL!

I'll do you a favor and give you some knowledge. Teams that have a semi clue about football, are calling RPO's triple option.

Triple option does NOT have to be ran out of midline/veer. Triple options means there are 3 different players that could run the ball. An RPO has 3 different people that can run the football......you do understand that right?

Ball Hawk

Quote from: Stewie on December 18, 2015, 12:41:51 pm
I guess Ball Hawk doesn't realize who I am...

The fearless Friday resident clown?

OLDSCHOOL82

^ Watch out ladies and gentlemen, we got a bada** up in here in hawk.  How many times did I say in the TRADITIONAL sense?  So much anger. 

minerjack

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on December 18, 2015, 12:39:04 pm
Traditionally the true triple is the veer. But in RPO's there are three options. Teams that run RPO's are Baylor, UCLA, Clemson, Notre Dame.

Teams in Arkansas that run RPO's are Bryant, Arkadelphia, PA, multiple other schools.

Ball Hawk

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on December 18, 2015, 12:47:32 pm
^ Watch out ladies and gentlemen, we got a bada** up in here in hawk.  How many times did I say in the TRADITIONAL sense?  So much anger.

Calm down old geezer. I don't care about your "traditional sense" of triple option. You tried to say that RPO's aren't triple option. I corrected you and you started dancing around it.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Ball Hawk on December 18, 2015, 12:09:25 pm

Veer isn't a formation.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Ball Hawk on December 18, 2015, 12:54:38 pm
Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on December 18, 2015, 12:47:32 pm

Calm down old geezer. I don't care about your "traditional sense" of triple option. You tried to say that RPO's aren't triple option. I corrected you and you started dancing around it.

Dancing around what?  I am very aware of what goes on in football.

Ball Hawk

December 18, 2015, 12:58:02 pm #91 Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 01:00:27 pm by Ball Hawk
Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on December 18, 2015, 12:55:26 pm
Quote from: Ball Hawk on December 18, 2015, 12:09:25 pm

Veer isn't a formation.

lol....split back veer.......people run midline out of SBV.......people run inside/outside veer out of SBV.

You are old....surely you know about the Houston Veer.

OLDSCHOOL82

That would be just the split back.  You would run the veer out of the split back formation.  Or the belly.  Or whatever else you would like.  Pretty simple actually.

WPWells

So angry. I'll give you a hint because you insulted my intelligence

Ball Hawk

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on December 18, 2015, 01:00:10 pm
That would be just the split back.  You would run the veer out of the split back formation.  Or the belly.  Or whatever else you would like.  Pretty simple actually.

Smh....do you know where split back came from?

Houston Veer.

Educate yourself pal.

OLDSCHOOL82

Thought you weren't worried about the traditional sense? 

OLDSCHOOL82

Everyone be real quiet and maybe hawk will think we are gone and go back to the 2A boards.

Ball Hawk

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on December 18, 2015, 01:01:52 pm
Thought you weren't worried about the traditional sense?

Just admit you are wrong pal.

OLDSCHOOL82

Ha.  You are no longer worth the strain on my feeble fingers to type responses.  Best of luck in life.  Your a gem.

ReddieKnightTrojan

Quote from: Longfellow on December 17, 2015, 04:25:06 pm
Quote from: minerjack2212 on December 17, 2015, 04:07:03 pm
Quote from: Longfellow on December 15, 2015, 07:40:18 am
Instead of the shotgun formation, I would use a singleback I formation. You can spread it out just the same, but it gives your running back a downhill start and can also widen your splits a bit more
Single back?  I formation. That's kind of contradictory isn't it?
Well it can be. We've always called it the single I. If there was a fullback I would call it a power I. It's just a matter of terminology. I just said that so they would know the alignment of the halfback

The I formation consists of a fullback 2-3 yards directly behind the QB (under center) with the Tailback/halfback 5-7 yards directly behind the QB

The Power I is the same as above with an additional FB lined up on either side of the original FB directly behind either guard

The wishbone is like the splitback veer with the addition of a FB with the HBs directly behind the guards

The offset I moves the HB behind either guard

O      O O         O             O                      O
O      O          O  O         O         or              O

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas