• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HAIL TO THE PRIVATE SCHOOLS!!!

Started by SGT.HULKA, December 12, 2015, 03:05:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SGT.HULKA

It's silly to think private schools have an advantage.  :) :)

WPWells

Order the rings? Kendrick to Nashville?

Lions84

Fullbacktrap75

Another private school win imagine that.

WPWells

Yeah imagine that because a private school wins every year ::)

Ned_Flanders

Quote from: Stewie on December 13, 2015, 03:33:06 pm

Young man, you sure have had a real attitude change with this new name.  I think you should have stayed with what was working.  I'm with CarlJung.

WPWells

Your personal attacks are getting really weak. I'm sure you can do better.

Black and Gold

I like the new 12th.. change is good

Coltfan2005

Quote from: Ned_Flanders on December 13, 2015, 03:51:32 pm

Young man, you sure have had a real attitude change with this new name.  I think you should have stayed with what was working.  I'm with CarlJung.

To say you associate in any way with CarlJung, someone who named themselves after a man who believed in ghosts, apparitions, heard voices, and spent time inducing himself to hallucinate. Kind of fitting now that I think about it. :)

Longfellow

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on December 13, 2015, 06:05:15 pm

To say you associate in any way with CarlJung, someone who named themselves after a man who believed in ghosts, apparitions, heard voices, and spent time inducing himself to hallucinate. Kind of fitting now that I think about it. :)
I'll go out on a limb and say he doesn't know who Carl Jung is

Ned_Flanders

Be very careful going out on limbs, Longfellow.  It could snap on you.  😜

CoolBreeze

Have all private schools combined won more 3A football championships than Chucktown in the last 20 years or so?

Maybe we should have multiple threads complaining about all their championships and find ways to isolate them so no one has to play them, so someone else has a chance to win.

WPWells

I know that until this year Charleston was tied with all other 3A teams combined for state championships in the past 10 years. Now we're down 6-5 but take away HA and we have the lead again

oasistrader

Cool,you are right on.Haters are going to hate.

AlumniLights

This thread is highly irrelevant. Congrats HA. 

Lineman

Sounds like there's two more in the works. Two Catholic high schools, one in Ft Smith & one in NWA. I wonder what, if any, impact on enrollment numbers of high schools in those areas.

Carljung

Quote from: Longfellow on December 13, 2015, 06:47:44 pm

I'll go out on a limb and say he doesn't know who Carl Jung is
If you are referring to me you'd be wrong.

KOJACK

P.F.G.

Quote from: Lineman on December 14, 2015, 06:44:33 am
Sounds like there's two more in the works. Two Catholic high schools, one in Ft Smith & one in NWA. I wonder what, if any, impact on enrollment numbers of high schools in those areas.

I doubt the one in fort smith really hurts southside or northside. They already have trinity jr high and they feed about 15-20 kids to southside or northside a year. They would have a decent 3-4A school but wouldn't bring down southside or northside very much.

Oldcat

No other state allows private schools to play with public schools its common sense they can recruit by just waiving the admission fee for a good player. Needs to be done away with.

PA Dad

Quote from: Oldcat on December 14, 2015, 05:42:30 pm
No other state allows private schools to play with public schools its common sense they can recruit by just waiving the admission fee for a good player. Needs to be done away with.

If you're going to make a statement of fact, back it up with proof.  No private school is allowed to waive fees or tuition for athletes.  That are allowed to award scholarships based on need, but the school doesn't make that determination- a third party does for all students, not just athletes.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: PA Dad on December 14, 2015, 09:04:19 pm

If you're going to make a statement of fact, back it up with proof.  No private school is allowed to waive fees or tuition for athletes.  That are allowed to award scholarships based on need, but the school doesn't make that determination- a third party does for all students, not just athletes.

PA Dad,

Thanks for providing factual information to refute an oft repeated allegation as to why it's not fair to require public schools to compete with private schools.

However, you omitted the other statement of alleged fact in the cited post: That no other state allows private schools to play with public schools.

The fact that a couple of adjacent states separate public and private schools does not establish that all other states do so. In fact, just a few years ago, I watched Valle High, a Catholic school from Perryville, play for a Missouri state championship on Fox Sports Midwest. I don't remember what class it was, but they played a public school.

PA Dad

Quote from: CoolBreeze on December 14, 2015, 09:58:52 pm

PA Dad,

Thanks for providing factual information to refute an oft repeated allegation as to why it's not fair to require public schools to compete with private schools.

However, you omitted the other statement of alleged fact in the cited post: That no other state allows private schools to play with public schools.

The fact that a couple of adjacent states separate public and private schools does not establish that all other states do so. In fact, just a few years ago, I watched Valle High, a Catholic school from Perryville, play for a Missouri state championship on Fox Sports Midwest. I don't remember what class it was, but they played a public school.

You are correct.  I haven't surveyed all states, but I think privates play public in a great majority of the states.

SGT.HULKA

Quote from: AlumniLights on December 14, 2015, 06:09:05 am
It's relevant to all the public schools that are at a competitive disadvantage.

Let the privates compete in their respective conferences during the regular season and then seed them and let them play for their own state championships while the public schools do the same. They could remain in their geographic conference and compete as an independent so that no school would lose that playing date and revenue. Wouldn't have to necessarily do it for Spring sports or Golf/Tennis/CC..etc. This would still allow the privates to have a full schedule of games.

Carljung

Like an athletic booster right?  ::)

freethrow

December 15, 2015, 09:52:32 am #25 Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 04:56:28 pm by freethrow
You are correct.  I haven't surveyed all states, but I think privates play public in a great majority of the states.
[/quote]

Took only a few minutes on the net to find a mix of public/privates in GA. One is certainly more than "no other"

Add MO and MI to the list of states with combined public/privates.

Black and Gold

Keep them together, to be the best you have to beat the best.

OB11

If there were more than a handful of private schools in Arkansas I could see splitting it up.  But it just doesn't seem practical to have a state championship decided between 4 or 5 teams (if they decided to split up into higher and lower classifications).

adaptedtigerfan

Why is that Oliver?  NCAA does it between 4 teams.  😂😂

OB11

Quote from: adaptedtigerfan on December 15, 2015, 10:00:43 am
Why is that Oliver?  NCAA does it between 4 teams.  😂😂

I just thought about that after I posted. haha

I guess to me it would just discount a state championship if I only had to win 2 games to earn it.  From a coaches perspective I would want to compete against as many teams as possible to prove I was the best.  If I was a coach from one of the private schools, I would fight a split tooth and nail.   

WCD

I want to make one comment on the Private School issue. It seems like this thread is about the advantage of private versus public in the area of recruiting.

What I would like to have explained to me is how Malik Monk who lived his entire life on the east side of the state and went to East Poinsette County ended up in the west side of the state playing basketball (Bentonville, I think). As I understand the situation, he went to Bentonville to be in a highly visible basketball program that would get him a better scholarship. This is recruiting IMO!

WCD ;D

OB11

Quote from: WCD on December 15, 2015, 10:19:52 am
I want to make one comment on the Private School issue. It seems like this thread is about the advantage of private versus public in the area of recruiting.

What I would like to have explained to me is how Malik Monk who lived his entire life on the east side of the state and went to East Poinsette County ended up in the west side of the state playing basketball (Bentonville, I think). As I understand the situation, he went to Bentonville to be in a highly visible basketball program that would get him a better scholarship. This is recruiting IMO!

WCD ;D

It's only recruiting if the coaches/administration/booster sought him out.  He may have very well decided to go there of his own accord.  (Highly doubtful it was his decision alone.  Just playing devil's advocate here).

P.F.G.

His mom was the most qualified for the bentonville librarian. No recruiting was done haha

Shorttimer

Quote from: SGT.HULKA on December 14, 2015, 11:01:08 pm

Let the privates compete in their respective conferences during the regular season and then seed them and let them play for their own state championships while the public schools do the same. They could remain in their geographic conference and compete as an independent so that no school would lose that playing date and revenue. Wouldn't have to necessarily do it for Spring sports or Golf/Tennis/CC..etc. This would still allow the privates to have a full schedule of games.
It makes perfect sense to have Conway Christian play LR Catholic in the football playoffs.  Subiaco can play PA.  Because all private schools are the same. 

bigchief72455

If there is a lack of competition in the 3A. You can always petition to move up a class. It didn't seem to hurt PA. If you are winning that many title maybe thats what needs to happen.

Maximus Decimus Meridius

Why not let private schools play only private schools then they can argue about this and that between themselves?

cdelaney

I've posted on this issue so many times,but I'll just go ahead and do it again. If anything, private schools are at a disadvantage over publics. Public schools do much more recruiting these days; they can have kids move in and out without sitting a year, just with a "change of address" which means rent a trailer and pay a water bill; they don't have strict academic and discipline rules; and they don't have to play up a classification. We have 50 or so kids per grade; they are all college prep students and the brainy nerd ratio is probably much higher than at publics-we are lucky to have 10-12 boys who can play sports per class.
I can't speak for HA, but at ECS all entering students have to pass an entrance exam and they have to have a record of good grades and no discipline issues. They turn away a lot of kids each year. The athletic department has no say in who gets accepted, and if a kid doesn't make his grades, or keeps getting in trouble, he is kicked out. Every year we lose athletes to other schools going into 9th grade, mostly because they either can't or don't want to hack the academics.
Advantages of privates: Everyone who attends the school is there because they want to be; generally have fewer discipline issues and more supportive families; continuity of coaches and systems over the years. This last probably doesn't apply to ECS as much as to HA or PA because our athletic success, especially in FB, is probably not a reason many kids want to go to ECS.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: bigchief72455 on December 15, 2015, 11:12:34 am
If there is a lack of competition in the 3A. You can always petition to move up a class. It didn't seem to hurt PA. If you are winning that many title maybe thats what needs to happen.

I don't understand this post.

I have followed the public vs. private discussion on three different recent threads, and I don't seem to remember anyone arguing a lack of competition in 3A.

What this thread is really about is a handful of supporters of certain public school programs trying to find some excuse to eliminate what they perceive to be stiff competition from the 2 private schools in 3A who play football, one of which has never won a championship.

These people toss out a supposed justification for making getting rid of private schools. Then, when that argument is blown out of the water, they throw out another ad infinitum.

If a school like HA wins a state championship, it must not be fair. Enough objections were raised to force private schools to play up one division, but it's still not fair, even though they can produce no real evidence of any of the the abuses they allege.

bigchief72455

Quote from: CoolBreeze on December 15, 2015, 01:56:18 pm
Quote from: bigchief72455 on December 15, 2015, 11:12:34 am

I don't understand this post.

I have followed the public vs. private discussion on three different recent threads, and I don't seem to remember anyone arguing a lack of competition in 3A.

What this thread is really about is a handful of supporters of certain public school programs trying to find some excuse to eliminate what they perceive to be stiff competition from the 2 private schools in 3A who play football, one of which has never won a championship.

These people toss out a supposed justification for making getting rid of private schools. Then, when that argument is blown out of the water, they throw out another ad infinitum.

If a school like HA wins a state championship, it must not be fair. Enough objections were raised to force private schools to play up one division, but it's still not fair, even though they can produce no real evidence of any of the the abuses they allege.
You misunderstood. PA moved up to 5A because they wanted to not because they were forced to. I was also using some sarcasm. I truly don't care if HA stays in the 3A.

Jabali

This is the way it is done in Texas, not that they know anything about high school football. ::)

Oldcat

Ok what i meant was almost all other states dont allow it. Sorry i shouldn't have put all other states, but you can look it up that California ohio and georgia all are battle this and they have actually labeled it "pay to play" for private schools. I don't understand how you can sit there and say there isnt a advantage for private schools all you have to do is watch a game and there is a vlear advantage on speed and size, also look at the coaches private schools have they can afford the best in the state where as a poor public school cannot.

cdelaney

PA- yes
LRCA-?probably not-had a good year but have had bad ones
CAC- same as LRCA
AR Baptist-no
Harding- their athletes are not superior to most upper tier 3A schools
ECS- had 3 pretty good yrs in a row but all their stars were home grown- had been at the school for many years. They have made playoffs only about half of the time since the school started.

I have never seen anyone refute the points I have made about the advantages public schools have. You just say "it's obvious" but it really isn't.
And Texas has about 50 times more schools public and private than AR. Apples to oranges.

Lumberjackfan1978

Jimbo Morphis

SGT.HULKA

Quote from: Oldman on December 16, 2015, 12:22:54 am
Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on December 15, 2015, 11:32:24 pm
Quote from: Black and Gold on December 15, 2015, 09:55:14 am
agree
as long as p.a. stays in 5a?
This illustrates the point. P.A. has 3A enrollment numbers. According to AAA guidelines for private and parochial schools they must play up one classification; P.A. petitioned to play up two classes in 5A. So they have 3A numbers to choose their athletes from yet they have won back to back state titles in 5A football. How many 3A schools could do that? Most likely none, if any. Charleston with Story would have an outside chance at best and that was probably the most dominant 3A team of the last several years. And with all due respect to McClellan, P.A. will probably be the favorite to win it again next year!!

Jabali

December 16, 2015, 05:03:31 am #45 Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 05:21:26 am by Jabali
Quote from: cdelaney on December 15, 2015, 10:13:51 pm
PA- yes
LRCA-?probably not-had a good year but have had bad ones
CAC- same as LRCA
AR Baptist-no
Harding- their athletes are not superior to most upper tier 3A schools
ECS- had 3 pretty good yrs in a row but all their stars were home grown- had been at the school for many years. They have made playoffs only about half of the time since the school started.

I have never seen anyone refute the points I have made about the advantages public schools have. You just say "it's obvious" but it really isn't.
And Texas has about 50 times more schools public and private than AR. Apples to oranges.
Less tuition, most everything in your above post is an advantage not a disadvantage for private schools.

Jabali

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on December 15, 2015, 11:32:24 pm
Quote from: Black and Gold on December 15, 2015, 09:55:14 am
agree
What's the purpose of classifications then? Just have one state champ then.

Beardad

Folks just need something to whine about. They need an excuse as to why Gurdon can't win the title. Those darn private schools.

Shiloh used to be that cats pajamas and they fell off. I bet LRCA has some down years in their future. What happened to CAC?

Shorttimer

Quote from: Oldcat on December 15, 2015, 09:10:25 pm
Ok what i meant was almost all other states dont allow it. Sorry i shouldn't have put all other states, but you can look it up that California ohio and georgia all are battle this and they have actually labeled it "pay to play" for private schools. I don't understand how you can sit there and say there isnt a advantage for private schools all you have to do is watch a game and there is a vlear advantage on speed and size, also look at the coaches private schools have they can afford the best in the state where as a poor public school cannot.
I don't even know where to start with this one:  I assume you're painting with a very broad brush and lumping PA, Shiloh, and LRC in the same group with ECS, HA, CAC, Baptist Prep, Conway Christian, et. al.  I've seen years when PA and Shiloh had by far the best talent on the field every week.  And they also had the best coaches money could buy.  That is a dominant combination.

I also personally know three of the coaches in the second group of private schools I listed above.  Neither Coach Carter at CC nor Coach Shoemaker at CAC are the highest paid coaches in their conference, and Coach Mote at HA probably makes less than any other head coach in 3A.  On top of that, in my years of watching 3A high school football, there has never been a year where I thought HA was even a top 5 school in overall talent.  Including this year.  They played 5 or 6 teams that had more speed and athleticism.  However, all of those kids know what to do and they do their jobs very well.  They've been doing the same things since they started pee wee football.  And they exist in a winning culture.  But all those things can be said of kids at Charleston and Prescott and Glen Rose and Rivercrest.  Continuity is huge in successful programs. 

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Beardad on December 16, 2015, 06:27:42 am
Folks just need something to whine about. They need an excuse as to why Gurdon can't win the title. Those darn private schools.

Shiloh used to be that cats pajamas and they fell off. I bet LRCA has some down years in their future. What happened to CAC?
did you just say cats pajamas on a football board?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas