• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3A1E SR High District Tournament

Started by bulldog42, February 11, 2015, 07:50:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Googlymoogly

Sometimes I feel like I am just talking to myself.

ZoneBuster

bobcats

Quote from: Googlymoogly on February 22, 2015, 01:36:24 am

O contrare, we are all just taking in your knowledge and wisdom. 

On the games yesterday, the Marshall bench players played as much as the starters due to foul trouble.  4 of their starters were on the bench by the middle of the 2nd quarter, a couple in the first quarter.  I am hopefull the officials at Manilia let the kids play.  The Melbourne/YS game was a lot more entertaining game( a different crew).   There was an incredible shot by a Melbourne kid that should be a sportscenter top play.  Should be on the Internet soon, be sure to check it out.  Melbourne is very athletic and could surprise someone from the 3A.

Moonshiner

Quote from: bobcats on February 22, 2015, 08:23:48 am
Quote from: Googlymoogly on February 22, 2015, 01:36:24 am

O contrare, we are all just taking in your knowledge and wisdom. 

On the games yesterday, the Marshall bench players played as much as the starters due to foul trouble.  4 of their starters were on the bench by the middle of the 2nd quarter, a couple in the first quarter.  I am hopefull the officials at Manilia let the kids play.  The Melbourne/YS game was a lot more entertaining game( a different crew).   There was an incredible shot by a Melbourne kid that should be a sportscenter top play.  Should be on the Internet soon, be sure to check it out.  Melbourne is very athletic and could surprise someone from the 3A.

I didn't see the game, so I don't know how tightly it was called.  But I totally disagree with letting them play.  There are rules to the game and they need to be enforced. There's a difference between good defense and wrestling.  Allowing one team to manhandle the other gives the advantage to said team.  Again, I'm not talking about Marshall.  Just my opinion in general. Please don't misinterpret.

Head Lion

Looks like weather is coming in again?

bulldog42

Semi-final games tonight starting at 4:
Bergman vs Mt View girls
Valley Springs vs Marshall boys
Valley Springs vs Flippin girls
Flippin vs Melbourne boys

BigMan15

bobcats

Quote from: BigMan15 on February 23, 2015, 11:51:08 am
Hows the weather there?

20 degrees with the windchill in the single digits, but the precip has stayed south of here for the most part.  I hope that continues.

BigMan15

I hope so too it would really hurt some of those teams to play back to back.

bulldog42

Quote from: BigMan15 on February 23, 2015, 12:04:27 pm
I hope so too it would really hurt some of those teams to play back to back.
Teams already have to play back to back.  If you win the district tomorrow then you have to travel 4 hours to Manila and play Wednesday and for the boys that means playing Osceola.  Your number 1 seed will have to play 3 straight games.

neds

February 23, 2015, 12:17:37 pm #60 Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 12:19:32 pm by neds
Agree, big disadvantage to some teams on little rest bulldog.
I like how the 4A handled the same situation. They avoided it by agreeing to take their regular conf. standing and determine the #1 seed (this was AB vs Subiaco).

bulldog42

Quote from: neds on February 23, 2015, 12:17:37 pm
I like how the 4A handled the same situation. They avoided it by agreeing to take their regular conf. standing and determine the #1 seed (this was AB vs Subiaco).
I wish we would of done that.  The other issue we had was that we are a 9 team conference so it made it even tougher to make up the games.  Oh well, now we just have to play.  I sure people will want to make excuses, but it is the way it is and now you have to play.  Doesn't mean I like it but nothing you can do.

bobcats

Quote from: bulldog42 on February 23, 2015, 12:21:21 pm
I wish we would of done that.  The other issue we had was that we are a 9 team conference so it made it even tougher to make up the games.  Oh well, now we just have to play.  I sure people will want to make excuses, but it is the way it is and now you have to play.  Doesn't mean I like it but nothing you can do.

So Bulldog, do you want to talk about the elephant in the room?  Will anyone really try to win the championship game tomorrow when you have to play Osceola the next day or play Corning with a day off?

bulldog42

February 23, 2015, 12:37:04 pm #63 Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 12:48:41 pm by bulldog42
Quote from: bobcats on February 23, 2015, 12:28:54 pm

So Bulldog, do you want to talk about the elephant in the room?  Will anyone really try to win the championship game tomorrow when you have to play Osceola the next day or play Corning with a day off?
Fans may be talking about it, but I think the teams all want to win, for me you play to win and deal with what happens.

hawgsroll

Yeah thats not gonna happen. I think Valley, Flippin, and Marshall all believe they will beat Osceola if that is what it comes to, even on back to back to back gamenights.   No one is gonna give up and LOSE a game on purpose at this point just to play Corning instead playing Osceola.   Its gametime and time for the big boys to put their panties on and go play basketball...If that means you play Osceola with tired legs, then you better have to guards to control the tempo and keep it at a pace that favors your team...In that scenario, it would seem more difficult on Marshall and Valley since they both like to play more uptempo and therefore are likely to tire quicker.  But it is what it is and I think any of the 3 of them will probably be okay against Osceola.

HawgDaddy

I remember Osceola throwing a game in the regional tournament several years back in order to stay opposite of EPC in the state tournament.  Osceola pulled their starters 2 minutes into the game against Mtn. View circa 2004 and lost by 17 to MV, which put them opposite in the state bracket from their conference rival EPC.  The two teams were clearly the best two teams in state that year from the same conference.  They met in the finals of the state tournament and EPC drilled Osceola for the 3rd time that season. 

Believe me, it happens.  I'm not sure any of the coaches facing that decision tomorrow night would do it, but they've considered it at the very least.

hawgsroll

Quote from: HawgDaddy on February 23, 2015, 12:58:53 pm
I remember Osceola throwing a game in the regional tournament several years back in order to stay opposite of EPC in the state tournament.  Osceola pulled their starters 2 minutes into the game against Mtn. View circa 2004 and lost by 17 to MV, which put them opposite in the state bracket from their conference rival EPC.  The two teams were clearly the best two teams in state that year from the same conference.  They met in the finals of the state tournament and EPC drilled Osceola for the 3rd time that season. 

Believe me, it happens.  I'm not sure any of the coaches facing that decision tomorrow night would do it, but they've considered it at the very least.
For the right team, yeah.  But you go playing games like that and you may get burned.   I mean if it put me against ECS in 1st round of regionals, then maybe...

bobcats

February 23, 2015, 01:14:49 pm #67 Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:17:32 pm by bobcats
The Valley/Marshall game tonight will be a war, then turn around tomorrow night and do it all over again, then after the game take a 3 hour bus ride to Jonesboro  and get in bed around midnight.  That will take its toll I promise.  It's fun to talk about anyway.  I'm sure they are not afraid of the O, but it's not a good scenario to play anyone.

BigMan15

Quote from: hawgsroll on February 23, 2015, 01:04:02 pm
Quote from: HawgDaddy on February 23, 2015, 12:58:53 pm

For the right team, yeah.  But you go playing games like that and you may get burned.   I mean if it put me against ECS in 1st round of regionals, then maybe...
I am thinking that some teams in our regionals will have that in the back of their mind ..the winner of region would have to go thru ecs but 2nd wouldnt see them to finals but honestly it would be so tough to get that far to begin with but i could see the logic

bobcats

At this point it is all about advancing to state.  The only advantage to winning regionals is being on a roll and playing a 4 seed in the first round. 

cdelaney

Quote from: bobcats on February 23, 2015, 01:14:49 pm
The Valley/Marshall game tonight will be a war, then turn around tomorrow night and do it all over again, then after the game take a 3 hour bus ride to Jonesboro  and get in bed around midnight.  That will take its toll I promise.  It's fun to talk about anyway.  I'm sure they are not afraid of the O, but it's not a good scenario to play anyone.
3 hr bus ride from Melbourne to Jonesboro? Going by way of St Louis, or just a really slow bus driver?

Paperman

I'd say slow bus driver. It is hard to get to Jonesboro from Melbourne! I'm just glad the 3A-3 kids aren't the one s having to make the long hourney this year. I know it is tough on everyone. No matter the outcome, I wish everyone safe passage to Manila. See you all Wednesday and beyond.

Googlymoogly

Last I heard the Bergman girls were leading by 20 over Mtn View but didn't catch the final score.
And the last I checked, the Valley Springs boys were up 58-32 on Marshall going into the fourth

@CurryLegion

Googlymoogly

ZoneBuster

Wow... Valley making it clear that they are the clear 2.

lorettalynn

valley also had a lot of rest over marshall

ZoneBuster

And a long break can often mean a rusty game.

BigMan15

KATZ

HorseFeathers

Not sure if it's been posted but...Girls: Valley Springs 67 Flippin 40..They get Bergman in the finals tomorrow night...

KATZ

Flippin going to win up ten or so under minute left.

KATZ

neds

HorseFeathers

bobcats

Just got back from Melbourne, congrats to Valley, they played like a team is supposed to play in a district semifinal.  No excuses, The way Marshall played tonight they couldn't win jr high district.   Another performance  like that and it will be a short appearance in Manila.

Googlymoogly

ZoneBuster

2 good rivalry games will decide the championships. Should be close battles!

Radiotalker

Quote from: hawgsroll on February 23, 2015, 12:41:30 pm

Yeah thats not gonna happen. I think Valley, Flippin, and Marshall all believe they will beat Osceola if that is what it comes to, even on back to back to back gamenights.   No one is gonna give up and LOSE a game on purpose at this point just to play Corning instead playing Osceola.   Its gametime and time for the big boys to put their panties on and go play basketball...If that means you play Osceola with tired legs, then you better have to guards to control the tempo and keep it at a pace that favors your team...In that scenario, it would seem more difficult on Marshall and Valley since they both like to play more uptempo and therefore are likely to tire quicker.  But it is what it is and I think any of the 3 of them will probably be okay against Osceola.

Osceola is not very good, but they will try to push the pace.

bulldog42

Finals tonight:
Girls
Valley Springs vs Bergman
Boys
Valley Springs vs Flippin

Should be some good games.

Head Lion

2 good boys teams, with 2 dang good head coaches. Same could be said for girls.

Head Lion

ISU7

Quote from: bulldog42 on February 23, 2015, 12:37:04 pm

Fans may be talking about it, but I think the teams all want to win, for me you play to win and deal with what happens.
Two High School girls teams in Tennessee, Smyrna and Riverdale  got kick out of the Tenn state district playoffs for trying to lose to each other. They were put on probation for the rest of the year and fined $1,500 etc. per / yahoo sports.

Head Lion

Are the games videostreamed or online radio?

ZoneBuster

According to twitter, VS girls won. Have no idea on score or anything though.

bobcat4real

Quote from: ZoneBuster on February 24, 2015, 05:44:00 pm
According to twitter, VS girls won. Have no idea on score or anything though.
Valley up at half on flippin 23-18.  Ugly game.

bobcat4real

bobcat4real

ZoneBuster

Wow, sounds like a good game. Congrats to VS for the sweep!

Head Lion

I promise you,  Flippin is the real winner. Vast difference between Corning & Osceola.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas