• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Discuss the 3A Top 10

Started by WPWells, January 19, 2015, 08:44:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HeadTiger

Quote from: bobcats on January 22, 2015, 09:17:08 am
Quote from: HeadTiger on January 21, 2015, 09:33:52 pm
A smart team/player/coach does that. Those 2 points could make the difference between 2nd and 3rd in the conference this year.

Regardless Valley beat Marshall by more at home then Marshall did and has a better non conference resumè. That was the only point I was trying to make. That there's no reason to suddenly jump Marshall in the top ten just because they beat the second best team by 4 at home.

That better non conference resume that includes losing by 28 to 1A Izard County?

Who has Marshall played? You can knock on valley all you want. Marshals best non conference opponent was.... Berryville? Just because it was yalls first win verse valley in over 4 years doesn't suddenly make yall a better team/program.

bobcats

Quote from: HeadTiger on January 22, 2015, 12:19:40 pm
A smart team/player/coach does that. Those 2 points could make the difference between 2nd and 3rd in the conference this year.

Regardless Valley beat Marshall by more at home then Marshall did and has a better non conference resumè. That was the only point I was trying to make. That there's no reason to suddenly jump Marshall in the top ten just because they beat the second best team by 4 at home.

That better non conference resume that includes losing by 28 to 1A Izard County?

Who has Marshall played? You can knock on valley all you want. Marshals best non conference opponent was.... Berryville? Just because it was yalls first win verse valley in over 4 years doesn't suddenly make yall a better team/program.

Huntsville

HeadTiger

And what was the score of that game?

neds

bobcats

Quote from: HeadTiger on January 22, 2015, 12:19:40 pm

The mere fact that you are all upset about Marshall having success shows how far the program has come in the last 4 years.  Before that no one cared.  The entire program is on a very strong footing and should continue to improve in the years to come.  I want to thank you for your attention as it lets the program know we are moving in the right direction.  Good luck to you and your team.

HeadTiger

January 22, 2015, 01:50:23 pm #105 Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 01:53:37 pm by HeadTiger
Define your version of "success"... Marshall hasn't made it out of the District tournament in 4 or 5 years. That means bottom 3 in the conference every year. I'm sorry but at Valley we use a different definition of "success" than one of the worst teams historically in the conference. Not knocking on this years team. Because they are decent. But I'm sorry our definition of success is completely different then those at Marshall. Yes, yall beat valley at home. Congratulations.

HeadTiger

lorettalynn

were valley is located if was not for the school choice law I don't think they would be as good as they are

HeadTiger

I'm not sure about that. I don't know of any Valley players that live in the Harrison school district. I did in my class but I was the only one. There may be one or two that live in the Grove or Mount Judea School District but that's it.

But the same could be said about any small school close to a bigger area. Don't just use an excuse to make Valley's success have less meaning.

lorettalynn

Eagle20

BHG downs number 3 Class A Kirby by 15.  On a more somber note Drake Wilks goes down with a bad ankle sprain to start the 4th. 

BigMan15

Any news on how bad it was and also any news on taylor kings injury

Skip Baymore

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on January 22, 2015, 06:59:40 am
It changes current rankings. I don't know how you can really say that it changes much more than that
It really doesn't change anything EXCEPT for the current rankings.  I mean, the players and the teams don't change. But this whole forum is about who is best, and who the best teams are,  and the order we might put them in based on what happens during the season, and what we predict what we think will happen from night to night.  Chucktown losing does not help them in the rankings.  Just as the Razorbacks losing to Ole Miss at home didn't.  You should hold Chucktown to the same standards as you do other teams.  They are not the best team in the state.  Somewhere  in top 8.  Maybe as high as 3 or 4, but somewhere in top 8. 

WPWells

I dropped them in my current rankings. I was talking to the people who made comments about how that loss changed things in the big picture

ISU7

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on January 21, 2015, 11:32:04 pm
That's a terrible argument and you know it :)

Any way you slice it, Charleston won on Paris' home court
That's why CHS should be ahead of Paris, there's no other way..... 8)

bobcats

12th man, what is wrong with Charleston.  They don't seem to be at or near the top of their game right now.  They beat Danville on a last second shot, struggled with tr for 3 qts and then lost at Lamar.  All 3 of those teams are a little above avg 3A teams at best.  This not a critisism.  It is an observation, as I believe they are one of the top 4 based on talent.  just looking for your opinion.

WPWells

Danville and Lamar were on the road in hostile environments. Two Rivers is a pretty good team - they'll be a state tournament team. You also have to remember that before the Lamar loss on Wednesday, Charleston had a 60-game conference winning streak, so we were taking these teams' best shots and still beating them. I agree that Charleston hasn't necessarily played the best, but I also wouldn't say that we're struggling either. We're beating good teams on the road. I think there's something to be said about that

fbisgreat

2 years ago I said this CHS team would win state.But I wasn't counting on Storey leaving early,newhart playing with an ACL injury and Fenner going to Paris and now King out.No team in 3a ball could lose this much and and still be top 2 or 3 team.

CincyGuyintheFort

Wow , sounds like if things wudda stayed status quo for Charleston, they would be a MONSTER in 3a. And even with losing that they are still hands down top 3 in the state. I am just hoping we end up with that matchup we all want in Hot Springs... Charleston v. Episcopal

WPWells

We won't if both teams win their region

cdelaney

Quote from: fbisgreat on January 24, 2015, 09:19:47 am
2 years ago I said this CHS team would win state.But I wasn't counting on Storey leaving early,newhart playing with an ACL injury and Fenner going to Paris and now King out.No team in 3a ball could lose this much and and still be top 2 or 3 team.
...or that even with none of those losses they would still have to beat ECS

WPWells

Charleston and ECS have met in the last three state tournaments. So far ECS is up 2-1. I'm hoping that Charleston evens it up this year

fbisgreat

They may not of beaten ECS with all of those players.I'm saying you take 3 starters and 6th man off your team.You are not going to be near as good.

yellowjackethooper

Just updating our conference records to the best of my knowledge are....
Flippin 26-5 (12-0)
Marshall 17-4 (10-2)/Valley 19-9 (10-2)
Yellville 12-6 (8-4)

Flippin thrashed Melbourne last night
Marshall thrashed Cotter last night
Valley snuck past rival Bergman last night
Gonna be fun coming down to the end

cdelaney

Quote from: fbisgreat on January 24, 2015, 10:22:34 am
They may not of beaten ECS with all of those players.I'm saying you take 3 starters and 6th man off your team.You are not going to be near as good.
I know, and I am just messing with you guys. Although I think ECS should win it again this year, they will need to be on their game to beat CHS, Cedar Ridge, and the other top 3A teams in State. Ward alone will make Chuck a tough out.

baller5

This is a little off thread. But I heard last night at the new Walmart that the local 3a schools are going to have to hire riot police for crowd control at all the games. Is this a true statement or what?

neds

Quote from: baller5 on January 24, 2015, 11:48:05 am
This is a little off thread. But I heard last night at the new Walmart that the local 3a schools are going to have to hire riot police for crowd control at all the games. Is this a true statement or what?

No , the NBA all star game will not be held at any 3A locations in Arkansas this year

baller5

Quote from: neds on January 24, 2015, 11:54:57 am
Quote from: baller5 on January 24, 2015, 11:48:05 am

No , the NBA all star game will not be held at any 3A locations in Arkansas this year
Ok, I was just wondering if I needed to take my gas mask to the CL JR high game against Paris tonight.

Sportsgirl

Where does jessieville stand? How will they do and what do you think will happen later down the road! Also heard they have a great gaurd over there. Does anyone know about him?

Eagle20

Jessievilld has a lot of weapons.  They could be in the state tourney. 

neds

I think they make it.
Coach will coach the team up at the right moments, he has done it for years.
They will surprise.
I think a lot of BHG's coach as well. I did at AR Baptist and I still do , but they don't have as much as Jessieville.

cdelaney

Quote from: neds on January 25, 2015, 07:01:17 pm
I think they make it.
Coach will coach the team up at the right moments, he has done it for years.
They will surprise.
I think a lot of BHG's coach as well. I did at AR Baptist and I still do , but they don't have as much as Jessieville.
I can't agree with you on this one neds, even though it's just based on one game, BHG hung with ECS the whole game. Never more than 16 down and had it under 10 early in 4th. Wilks that night was Matthew Ward good and he had a teammate who made a bunch of shots. I am anxious to see them again this Friday to see if they can do it again.

neds

Guaranteed to be interesting down the stretch

BigMan15

So who goes to state from ecs region

I think
ECS
Cedar Ridge
Jesseville
Mayflower

#EagleStrong

Even though I don't generally like the whole transitive property thing, I looked at the fact that Marianna Lee beat Harding Academy who beat Jessieville by 14. I used that common opponent as a litmus to decide who I thought would win a Lee-Jessieville match-up. I feel like right now that's the best action to take in choosing the field of 16.

cdelaney

Quote from: BigMan15 on January 26, 2015, 01:26:04 pm

I think
ECS
Cedar Ridge
Jesseville
Mayflower
I have no idea how our 7 team conference tourney bracket will be drawn up, but I assume it is set up so that the #4 seed most likely will play the #1 seed in the semi's, and if they lose (which is likely) they would probably play Cedar Ridge first round of Regions (our conference has not done a 3 vs 4 game for Semifinal losers in the past anyway).  So the best chance to make state will be to end up as the 2 or 3 seed from conference. I think Mayflower and BHG will be competing for the 3 and 4 seed in conference as I think Jessieville has too much of an advantage in the standings right now and they are done with ECS. I think Cedar is the only team from the 2 to win in regions.
Long way to say that I think Mayflower/BHG will be the 4th team from Region 2, whichever one is 3 seed, and not at all sure which it will be. Haven't seen Mayflower with Perry back, know they will be improved though, but as I have said before, I was impressed with BHG.

bdog32

I'm not sure cedar is as good as advertised. I saw then over Christmas break and was not I'm pressed. Are they playing better 

3cats

Quote from: bdog32 on January 26, 2015, 05:05:54 pm
I'm not sure cedar is as good as advertised. I saw then over Christmas break and was not I'm pressed. Are they playing better
i saw them 2 weeks ago and I was very impressed

doubled

ECS
Cedar
Harding
Mayflower

That's my picks for this region. 

Eagle20

Quote from: CincyGuyintheFort on January 24, 2015, 09:55:03 am
Wow , sounds like if things wudda stayed status quo for Charleston, they would be a MONSTER in 3a. And even with losing that they are still hands down top 3 in the state. I am just hoping we end up with that matchup we all want in Hot Springs... Charleston v. Episcopal
What ifs don't mean much.  If BHG's 6'9" post doesn't go to Benton and their point guard move to Dallas in late July they would have been much better.  It is what it is.  Not sure if everyone wants that matchup.

neds

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Eagle20 on January 26, 2015, 08:47:07 pm
What ifs don't mean much.  If BHG's 6'9" post doesn't go to Benton and their point guard move to Dallas in late July they would have been much better.  It is what it is.  Not sure if everyone wants that matchup.

Or losing their coach from last season?

jr17

Mayflower plays jville 1 more time. Expect a different outcome. As well as in district.

Eagle20

Quote from: HF on January 26, 2015, 09:37:49 pm
Quote from: Eagle20 on January 26, 2015, 08:47:07 pm

Or losing their coach from last season?
Good point.  Big kid would have never left.

cdelaney

Quote from: cdelaney on January 26, 2015, 04:59:48 pm

I think
ECS
Cedar Ridge
Jesseville
Mayflower
I have no idea how our 7 team conference tourney bracket will be drawn up, but I assume it is set up so that the #4 seed most likely will play the #1 seed in the semi's, and if they lose (which is likely) they would probably play Cedar Ridge first round of Regions (our conference has not done a 3 vs 4 game for Semifinal losers in the past anyway).  So the best chance to make state will be to end up as the 2 or 3 seed from conference. I think Mayflower and BHG will be competing for the 3 and 4 seed in conference as I think Jessieville has too much of an advantage in the standings right now and they are done with ECS. I think Cedar is the only team from the 2 to win in regions.
Long way to say that I think Mayflower/BHG will be the 4th team from Region 2, whichever one is 3 seed, and not at all sure which it will be. Haven't seen Mayflower with Perry back, know they will be improved though, but as I have said before, I was impressed with BHG.
Ok with Wilks out for now, don't know how long, I can't do the math in any way for BHG to do any better than 4th seed in District, which means they would have to beat ECS to be better than 4th seed in Regionals; which then means they likely face Cedar Ridge 1st Round of Regionals. So tough draw to get to state!

hawgsroll

Quote from: cdelaney on January 28, 2015, 10:42:30 am

I think
ECS
Cedar Ridge
Jesseville
Mayflower
Ok with Wilks out for now, don't know how long, I can't do the math in any way for BHG to do any better than 4th seed in District, which means they would have to beat ECS to be better than 4th seed in Regionals; which then means they likely face Cedar Ridge 1st Round of Regionals. So tough draw to get to state!
What are the conference records for each team at this point?   Is there somewhere that can be found and what about remaining games?

cdelaney

January 28, 2015, 12:50:18 pm #146 Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 08:11:12 pm by HF
Quote from: hawgsroll on January 28, 2015, 10:47:00 am
Quote from: cdelaney on January 28, 2015, 10:42:30 am

I think
ECS
Cedar Ridge
Jesseville
Mayflower
What are the conference records for each team at this point?   Is there somewhere that can be found and what about remaining games?
OK I think these are pretty accurate:

ECS 8-0
Mayflower 7-2
Jessieville 6-2
BHG 3-5
Perryville 3-6

Mayflower plays ECS, Glen Rose, and Jessie
Jessie plays Bismarck, Perryville, BHG, and Mayflower

Seems like Mayflower vs Jessie will decide 2 vs 3 seed. I think BHG holds on to 4 seed.

*Edited by HF to remove the HUGE blank space

Sportsnutt

Quote from: doubled on January 26, 2015, 07:19:05 pm
ECS
Cedar
Harding
Mayflower

That's my picks for this region. 

I agree with these picks.  I think ECS and Cedar are the top two in the region and will dispose of the #4 seeds from the other side.  The 2/3 games at the regional will be great matchups - Probably Harding and Marianna from the 2 vs. Mayflower and Jessieville from the 5. 

WPWells

@CurryLegion

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on January 30, 2015, 11:40:33 pm
What happens to CR?
I don't really know how much this loss should matter. I've seen both of these teams in person twice, and there is no way that I could ever imagine Marianna Lee actually beating Cedar Ridge. Let alone by 26. Something was up at the game, however I'm not sure what exactly. Marianna Lee could probably beat the Boston Celtics if the game was held at Marianna Lee.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas