• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smackover vs Rivercrest game has been moved.

Started by Proud Buckaroo, November 30, 2015, 05:35:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Hawgeye on November 30, 2015, 08:01:32 pm
Quote from: HF on November 30, 2015, 07:55:52 pm
Arkansas used to do that with the regional 1st round games...guess what people whined about it...just like folks do now...

I don't have a dog in the fight...It just seems that travel is a big issue to smaller schools. The idea of changing to a format of a middle meeting spot for both schools, would at least cut down on travel expenses and also on late night travel. I would imagine most bus drivers for high school football teams are an assistant coach who woke up at 5 am that same morning and will work all day, drive the team all afternoon(Rivercrest 4.5 hour drive to Smackover)coach a ball game until 9:30 or 10. Stop some place to grab a bite to eat with the team, then get back on the road and get back to their high school at around 3:30 or 4:00. Thats dang near a 24 hour day for a coach.

Oh I hear you, my point is no matter what is done someone will be angry.

Just for example we could do first round matchups with 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3 and 5 vs 6....

ISU7

Quote from: Hawgeye on November 30, 2015, 06:58:14 pm
Both sides should be happy about this move.

Smackover has a very nice stadium, very large for a 3A school. El Dorado has a very fine facility though. Turf, very large stadium, great lighting, etc.

For Rivercrest, there will be many more eating options and hotels.

Good call to move if the Smackover stadium is a pig pen.
Lol this is about a football game not a sleepover or buffet eating contest 😄

Hawgeye

Quote from: HF on November 30, 2015, 08:04:34 pm
Quote from: Hawgeye on November 30, 2015, 08:01:32 pm
Quote from: HF on November 30, 2015, 07:55:52 pm
Arkansas used to do that with the regional 1st round games...guess what people whined about it...just like folks do now...

I don't have a dog in the fight...It just seems that travel is a big issue to smaller schools. The idea of changing to a format of a middle meeting spot for both schools, would at least cut down on travel expenses and also on late night travel. I would imagine most bus drivers for high school football teams are an assistant coach who woke up at 5 am that same morning and will work all day, drive the team all afternoon(Rivercrest 4.5 hour drive to Smackover)coach a ball game until 9:30 or 10. Stop some place to grab a bite to eat with the team, then get back on the road and get back to their high school at around 3:30 or 4:00. Thats dang near a 24 hour day for a coach.

Oh I hear you, my point is no matter what is done someone will be angry.

Just for example we could do first round matchups with 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3 and 5 vs 6....

Yes. I would think the current format would make people more angry. Much longer travel early in the playoffs, especially for the lower seeds.

I just like the Texas set up. No home field advantage. No super long travel days/nights. True neutral site games.

Yea, you could add a 6 seed from each conference. Basically them playing a play in game against a 5 seed from a neighboring conference.

OLDSCHOOL82

Honest question.  Name one school in the state, that makes it far in the playoffs, that can't afford the travel?  What will they do if they win the state championship? 

Headhunter15

Quote from: ISU7 on November 30, 2015, 08:06:38 pm

Smackover has a very nice stadium, very large for a 3A school. El Dorado has a very fine facility though. Turf, very large stadium, great lighting, etc.

😂😂😂

Headhunter15

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on November 30, 2015, 08:09:38 pm
Honest question.  Name one school in the state, that makes it far in the playoffs, that can't afford the travel?  What will they do if they win the state championship?

Pump gas or wash cars or some form of a fundraiser to get the rings. It happens a lot with teams

Hawgeye

You still hold the state title games in Little Rock, no change there.

Its not all about not affording travel, but it saves money in diesel for buses and overnight accommodations. Not just for the school, but the fans as well. Its also about safety.

Rivercrest is about to travel nearly 5 hours. Smackover traveled 5 1/2 hours last week. Thats just insane when you could meet at a central location and cut everyones time in half. Play at a neutral site.

It works great in Texas. If you like football, like I do, you can go to an area stadium and watch two games on a Friday and watch one game on the Thursday night prior.

HorseFeathers

I heard booneville fans discussing fundraisers to buy 3a rings in 2014 during the Lamar game 8) . . . Apparently even booneville doesn't just pony up the dough either...

OLDSCHOOL82

Exactly,  they find a way.  Anyone know how the schools get their funding?  Think about football.  Playoffs and non conference are where the long travel is.  That's not very many long expensive drives for many schools.  How many away basketball games does a school play?  The main ones complaining about a far off away games are usually fair weather fans. 

Hawgeye

You have a 300 pound lineman. There is at least one person that will be interested in the buffet eating contest.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Hawgeye on November 30, 2015, 08:13:17 pm

Its not all about not affording travel, but it saves money in diesel for buses and overnight accommodations. Not just for the school, but the fans as well. Its also about safety.

Rivercrest is about to travel nearly 5 hours. Smackover traveled 5 1/2 hours last week. Thats just insane when you could meet at a central location and cut everyones time in half. Play at a neutral site.

It works great in Texas. If you like football, like I do, you can go to an area stadium and watch two games on a Friday and watch one game on the Thursday night prior.

Would hate to play thebsecond game on a field during weather like this..

Proud Buckaroo

Junction city had to do several fundraisers when they won state in three sports in a year. There is a way of making the money. You just got to find a way to get the funding.

gameoflife

I don't see the AAA being too worried about travel, and most teams really enjoy being at home.  Don't expect this currrent format to change any time soon.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on November 30, 2015, 08:13:52 pm
Exactly,  they find a way.  Anyone know how the schools get their funding?  Think about football.  Playoffs and non conference are where the long travel is.  That's not very many long expensive drives for many schools.  How many away basketball games does a school play?  The main ones complaining about a far off away games are usually fair weather fans. 

I've put more miles on my car this year going to games than most schools will travel for football season in a year.....I still kinda agree with hawgeye...it'd be an interesting idea anyway

Lineman

Quote from: HF on November 30, 2015, 08:13:46 pm

I heard booneville fans discussing fundraisers to buy 3a rings in 2014 during the Lamar game 8) . . . Apparently even booneville doesn't just pony up the dough either...
BTW:  I think that check bounced.

Hawgeye

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on November 30, 2015, 08:13:52 pm

It just seems this year, there have been more bus accidents with football teams involved, than ever before.

As I said above, its not just about money. Its about the coach driving a bus that is going on an 18-24 hour day.

Its also about giving the high school kids an opportunity to play in nicer, bigger facilities. Something not many high school players will ever get to experience. Even if it is just  game at Henderson State, or Arkansas State.

Hawgeye

Quote from: HF on November 30, 2015, 08:14:52 pm
Quote from: Hawgeye on November 30, 2015, 08:13:17 pm

Would hate to play thebsecond game on a field during weather like this..

Texas decides weekly where to hold the games. Obviously, they consider the weather forecast and current field conditions.

This time of year though, semi-final time of year, there are plenty of turf fields available to hold a couple games in a day.

OLDSCHOOL82

I know what you mean.  Most people don't even come close to worrying about the bus driver, etc, etc, etc.  They are just usually worried about getting in late!  I love a long road trip to a different stadium I've never been too.  Most every successful program has a unique atmosphere about its home stadium that you would never experience at a neutral site.  Remember, not too many years ago they did neutral sites.  Everyone complained, things changed.  Moral of that, people will complain no matter what you do.  The AAA gets a big chunk of the gate, and the two opponents split the rest so even the traveling team gets funds.  It benefits the host school as they get the concession all to themselves.  I understand the unique experience as well.  That's what they get if the make the finals!  Gotta win!  I would be all for semis and finals being played at a neutral site aka "college level field!"  But hosting all at neutral sites just for the experience isn't very rewarding.  I'm not a everyone is special type guy.

Hawgeye

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on November 30, 2015, 08:28:27 pm
I know what you mean.  Most people don't even come close to worrying about the bus driver, etc, etc, etc.  They are just usually worried about getting in late!  I love a long road trip to a different stadium I've never been too.  Most every successful program has a unique atmosphere about its home stadium that you would never experience at a neutral site.  Remember, not too many years ago they did neutral sites.  Everyone complained, things changed.  Moral of that, people will complain no matter what you do.  The AAA gets a big chunk of the gate, and the two opponents split the rest so even the traveling team gets funds.  It benefits the host school as they get the concession all to themselves.  I understand the unique experience as well.  That's what they get if the make the finals!  Gotta win!  I would be all for semis and finals being played at a neutral site aka "college level field!"  But hosting all at neutral sites just for the experience isn't very rewarding.  I'm not a everyone is special type guy.

Nah, its not really to make people feel special.

With close proximity District rounds and Area rounds, yes, you could certainly have the higher seeds host in the first two rounds of the playoffs. Then in the quarters, go to neutral site games.

Though, I think we can all agree that the AAA doesn't approve anything unless it is a legit head scratcher.

OLDSCHOOL82

Hawgeye

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on November 30, 2015, 08:35:37 pm
Head scratcher or $$$ are the requirements!

Well, at a neutral site the AAA could get all the gate $$$ and let the schools split the concessions.

OLDSCHOOL82

Split the concession, 3 ways?  What about the host schools facilities?  I honestly think you would have about the same or less attendance.

OLDSCHOOL82

Type up a proposal to fix the situation and submit it to the AAA.  Don't come with problems, come with solutions!   

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Hawgeye on November 30, 2015, 08:41:38 pm
Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on November 30, 2015, 08:35:37 pm
Head scratcher or $$$ are the requirements!

Well, at a neutral site the AAA could get all the gate $$$ and let the schools split the concessions.

I can see it now...Weekly bids to host quarter finals, and semi finals of the playoffs...Heck if it got to successful for them, the Championship game would be auctioned off..Can;t you see it...

Prescott vs Harding Academy @ Alumni Stadium in Charleston
Rivercrest vs Smackover @ Mineral Springs High School
The Championship game being at Hoxie.

Jabali

Home team in playoffs determined by regular season home attendance. I think the NIT does something similar in BB.

Headhunter15

So will eldorado get any of the concession or gate? Will any of this stuff be split 4 ways now?

Hawgeye

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on November 30, 2015, 08:43:34 pm
Split the concession, 3 ways?  What about the host schools facilities?  I honestly think you would have about the same or less attendance.

Don't think it would be less if we did what you suggested. Maybe not starting neutral site games until the quarter finals.

Most teams who make it that far yearly are "usually" football schools and have fans that will pack the stands, or at least have a good showing.

OLDSCHOOL82

My guess would be eldo gets all the concession.  They now have expenses to cover.  Concession set up and clean up.  Field set up and clean up.  Lights!  Most schools are particular about who uses their concession.  They would more than likely not let a visiting school operate it or the host school operate it and then give the money away.

Hawgeye

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on November 30, 2015, 08:48:48 pm
My guess would be eldo gets all the concession.  They now have expenses to cover.  Concession set up and clean up.  Field set up and clean up.  Lights!  Most schools are particular about who uses their concession.  They would more than likely not let a visiting school operate it or the host school operate it and then give the money away.

Could probably ask Junction City folks about last season. I believe they played a playoff game at El Dorado and got to keep concession money, since they brought their stuff over to sell.

I could be totally wrong.

Proud Buckaroo

Smackover is bringing their stuff over to the field. That's what I read on facebook. 

I work with a guy from Junction. His boy is on the team. But he told me that El dorado got all the concession money.

Proud Buckaroo

In 2013, Glen Rose did this very thing by moving the game to BHG field. For the same reason this game is being moved. The field is a wreck. It's going to be a good game regardless.

dragondad

Quote from: Hawgeye on November 30, 2015, 08:52:31 pm
Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on November 30, 2015, 08:48:48 pm

Could probably ask Junction City folks about last season. I believe they played a playoff game at El Dorado and got to keep concession money, since they brought their stuff over to sell.

I could be totally wrong.

Pretty sure the El Dorado boosters worked and received the money for concessions, all we got was wet slick turf.

xadboy

December 01, 2015, 12:09:17 am #82 Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 12:11:24 am by xadboy
Seems to me that the number of teams making the playoffs should be reduced. If you finish 5th in your conference you shouldn't make it. Has a 5 seed won a game? To me it would make sense to have top 3 teams from each conference make the playoffs. You could have the 6 conference winners all get a first round bye, then after that, the higher seed host the game. But you could set the brackets up more regional based than it is now. If you have more regional based games, you'd have higher attendance and more concession sales. But that is to simple for the AAA to understand.

dragondad

December 01, 2015, 12:11:37 am #83 Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 12:13:41 am by dragondad
Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on November 30, 2015, 08:14:57 pm
Junction city had to do several fundraisers when they won state in three sports in a year. There is a way of making the money. You just got to find a way to get the funding.

It was actually 4 title rings (football, baseball, weightlifting, and track).....5 if you count cheer leading. LOL!

Nearly had 6, the softball team was state runner-up.

Proud Buckaroo

That's right. I was counting baseball, football and track. completely forgot about the other two.

biglion1985

Sorry but it seems to me that if it's in that bad of a shape that they can't play on said home field then to me it should be left up to the other team participating in the game just saying this is football not baseball I have been to a rivercrest game at epc and there was water standing on the field get out there and play the game you take risks either way when you strap them pads on have it on your own field

Proud Buckaroo

I have no problem with it. Rivercrest wants to play in slop. Then lets play in slop. But.. It's not up to me or you. It's up to the administration of both schools. Smackover administration wants the game to be at el dorado because of our field. Then let it be there.

biglion1985

Hey I know it isn't up to me or you but doesn't the elements make it interesting but regardless of where it's at I wish the best of luck to both teams

Proud Buckaroo

I don't know if it's me or not... But the way my cellphone has this website set up now is nice. I like how each reply is in its own box.

Coltfan2005

If this just came up late and Rivercrest has not even been consulted, why post that the game has been moved? Why not post Smackover wants to move it from fear of playing on wet ground and Rivercrest will be consulted.

coltmom#10

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on December 01, 2015, 06:00:08 am
If this just came up late and Rivercrest has not even been consulted, why post that the game has been moved? Why not post Smackover wants to move it from fear of playing on wet ground and Rivercrest will be consulted.
👍

ISU7

Quote from: Hawgeye on November 30, 2015, 08:14:35 pm

You have a 300 pound lineman. There is at least one person that will be interested in the buffet eating contest.
No he's still full from feasting on the Glen Rose d-linemen, and running backs .ha!

Maximus Decimus Meridius

Quote from: ISU7 on December 01, 2015, 07:34:55 am

No he's still full from feasting on the Glen Rose d-linemen, and running backs .ha!
Rivercrest lineman weight
Big Freddy-350
Cole-380
Stephan-300
Joseph-305
Trapp-290
Henard-240
Daniel-288
These boys aint full yet! They want to sit at the table one more time!

ISU7

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on December 01, 2015, 01:33:15 am
I have no problem with it. Rivercrest wants to play in slop. Then lets play in slop. But.. It's not up to me or you. It's up to the administration of both schools. Smackover administration wants the game to be at el dorado because of our field. Then let it be there.
RiverCrest is playing where the schedule says they play, it's not RC wanna play in the slop, because its not RC field. RC is @ Smackover. It was wet and muddy last week, I thought we might ask Gosnell to let us use their  new turf field, but that wouldve been like Denver asking Arizona can they play in their retractable roof stadium because it was snowing. ;D You can't stop the rain when it starts to fall. I'm sure it doesn't matter to the Colts where they play.

Hawgeye

Quote from: Maximus Decimus Meridius on December 01, 2015, 07:51:23 am

Big Freddy-350
Cole-380
Stephan-300
Joseph-305
Trapp-290
Henard-240
Daniel-288

That would be a good start to a Jenny Craig add

ISU7

Quote from: Maximus Decimus Meridius on December 01, 2015, 07:51:23 am

Big Freddy-350
Cole-380
Stephan-300
Joseph-305
Trapp-290
Henard-240
Daniel-288
Let's go for Two.. ;D 8)

cdelaney

Quote from: KOJACK on November 30, 2015, 06:25:57 pm
Quote from: war cardinals on November 30, 2015, 06:21:29 pm
They would have done this last year when we played Episcopal but didn't earl and junction city have Eldorado's  field?? Last  year our field wasn't even fit to play on.
I don't think smack wanted EC$ on turf last year...
I'm sure it's a coincidence that they played a spread/passing team in their sprinkler enhanced mud hole the past two years, but moved to turf vs a power running team this year Kojack.

Hawgeye

Quote from: cdelaney on December 01, 2015, 08:05:26 am
They would have done this last year when we played Episcopal but didn't earl and junction city have Eldorado's  field?? Last  year our field wasn't even fit to play on.
I'm sure it's a coincidence that they played a spread/passing team in their sprinkler enhanced mud hole the past two years, but moved to turf vs a power running team this year Kojack.

Or perhaps, Smackover has learned from past experience, and believes the field is in worse shape than in years past?

I mean, surely no logical reason would make them want to move the game, right?

I often wonder if half of you people actually think about what you're posting.

Do you really think a power run team would not have an advantage on turf, where there is plenty of traction?

cdelaney

Quote from: Hawgeye on December 01, 2015, 08:09:06 am

Or perhaps, Smackover has learned from past experience, and believes the field is in worse shape than in years past?

Do you really think a power run team would not have an advantage on turf, where there is plenty of traction?
Any type of offense benefits from a better track, but the negative impact of a sloppy field is much greater on a passing team. And then add in the effect of a game's worth of water and mud on the football- no matter how frequently you change out the ball, dry it, etc, they get heavier and slick as the game progresses.
I'm not sure even close to half the people on here actually think about what they are posting, by the way, seems kinda high.

ISU7

December 01, 2015, 08:20:17 am #99 Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 08:23:55 am by ISU7
Quote from: Hawgeye on December 01, 2015, 08:09:06 am

RiverCrest played on a wet muddy field last week, so it really doesn't matter. Leave the Colts out of this, they didn't ask for the change, all they know they playing Smackover @ Smackover unless it is changed, then they will go play where ever that is. 8) Hey y'all noticed the times of PB posts for the today, looks like he been up all night trying to get this move done. lol Just joking with you PB.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas