• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Outlook: The Frest Start......again.

Started by AirWarren, December 06, 2017, 01:49:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bdubyab60

Patton has a bruise according to Morris. Will be back in a week or so.

We have had several injuries on the line though by what I've read

RZback

The reports coming out of practice this fall don't do much to ease the fears of another bad season.  Seems the head man and the coordinators are cautiously un-optimistic.  The talent level is not there yet and the jury is out on all elements of the new program.

beach bum

Quote from: RZback on August 20, 2018, 01:35:17 pm
The reports coming out of practice this fall don't do much to ease the fears of another bad season.  Seems the head man and the coordinators are cautiously un-optimistic.  The talent level is not there yet and the jury is out on all elements of the new program.

I am hearing we may be starting 2 redshirt freshmen on the OL and that is not a good sign for me. The OL and QB play are huge questions. I think the RB and WR position is good enough for this conference, but they need blocking and a guy to get them the ball which is stating the obvious but that is worrisome.

cuckoobird

Quote from: beach bum on August 20, 2018, 02:35:10 pm
I am hearing we may be starting 2 redshirt freshmen on the OL and that is not a good sign for me. The OL and QB play are huge questions. I think the RB and WR position is good enough for this conference, but they need blocking and a guy to get them the ball which is stating the obvious but that is worrisome.
please please say one of them is replacing froholt or whatever his name is. They should put red headed step child on his back because he gets beat like one...

bdubyab60

bdubyab60

I haven't seen Morris with much praise for anyone during his pressers. There a few this guy did a good job today's but not many. Morris has said the same thing in just about every practice. So it's really hard to get a read on what is going on.

Is he just that much of a perfectionist. He certainly isn't pumping the sunshine like BB did. Doesn't tip his hand much as to what is really going on. So unless you have been in one of the practices or scrimmages and seen it with your own eyes we then we are just guessing.

I have read that there are 4 OL out. 3 season ending. So where we were already thin we are thinner and have moved another DL to the OL. This one did at least play some OL in HS.

I haven't had my hopes up 6-6 is where I'm still at for the season. Looking like we have actually played football before will be an improvement as well.

Good news is football season is here

cuckoobird

AirWarren

Quote from: cuckoobird on August 23, 2018, 02:05:48 pm
That's terrible news

Give him a chance. Remember, that worthless pile of dung Kurt Anderson is gone.

bdubyab60

For what's it's worth Morris said Froholdt is doing better than any of them

cuckoobird

Quote from: bdubyab60 on August 23, 2018, 08:12:01 pm
For what's it's worth Morris said Froholdt is doing better than any of them
unless he's improved tremendously that's even worse news. I see more sacks than a grocery store check out coming this season

beach bum

Quote from: cuckoobird on August 24, 2018, 09:50:53 am
unless he's improved tremendously that's even worse news. I see more sacks than a grocery store check out coming this season

LMBO... Yea when we are plucking starting SEC lineman from Nordic nations that's not a good sign of where the offensive line unit sits in its overall picture.

cuckoobird

Quote from: beach bum on August 24, 2018, 11:46:24 am

LMBO... Yea when we are plucking starting SEC lineman from Nordic nations that's not a good sign of where the offensive line unit sits in its overall picture.
not to mention he wasn't recruited for OL. Bert moved him there from the DL

AirWarren

Quote from: beach bum on August 24, 2018, 11:46:24 am

I'll argue that point with you my friend. Interesting article came out a couple of years ago in relation to Bielema's failures at Arkansas and with recruiting adequate size in the SEC. Alvarez said about the Wisconsin area:

"When I took the job I looked at the state of Wisconsin and you have some of the biggest people in the world there," Alvarez said. "You look at our nationalities and they're German, they're Scandanavian, they are big people. You have a camp and you have guys that are 6-6, you have more 300 pounders than you can shake a stick at. Now, not a lot of speed there, not a lot of speed in our state."

http://hitthatline.com/alvarez-subtly-points-out-problems-bielema-long-have/

Hjalte Froholdt is a 6-5 265lbs from Svendborg, Denmark. That is what Alvarez was talking about. Those kinds of players are everywhere in Wisconsin...of Scandinavian decent. The names on the back of the offensive linemen at Wisconsin is like looking at a soccer team or a hockey team. I think Bielema was doing how he was mentored honestly. Problem was....he had no idea how to coach them up and he had a bonehead OL coach.

cuckoobird

Note is says big and slow. That's why he gets beat like a drum in the big and fast SEC

bleudog

Quote from: AirWarren on August 24, 2018, 12:44:56 pm
I'll argue that point with you my friend. Interesting article came out a couple of years ago in relation to Bielema's failures at Arkansas and with recruiting adequate size in the SEC. Alvarez said about the Wisconsin area:

“When I took the job I looked at the state of Wisconsin and you have some of the biggest people in the world there,” Alvarez said. “You look at our nationalities and they’re German, they’re Scandanavian, they are big people. You have a camp and you have guys that are 6-6, you have more 300 pounders than you can shake a stick at. Now, not a lot of speed there, not a lot of speed in our state."

http://hitthatline.com/alvarez-subtly-points-out-problems-bielema-long-have/

Hjalte Froholdt is a 6-5 265lbs from Svendborg, Denmark. That is what Alvarez was talking about. Those kinds of players are everywhere in Wisconsin...of Scandinavian decent. The names on the back of the offensive linemen at Wisconsin is like looking at a soccer team or a hockey team. I think Bielema was doing how he was mentored honestly. Problem was....he had no idea how to coach them up and he had a bonehead OL coach.

Redwolves8526

Really enjoyed the video on twitter/facebook yesterday of the 3 walk-ons earning scholarships and how Morris did it. I recognized one of the names, Devon McClure. Was that the freak athlete from Jacksonville that was ridiculously good at baseball too or am I way off base with that?

footballfan-tastic

Maybe Morris is a snake oil salesman but it doesn't sound good and unfortunately from what I understand and see, it doesn't look good to too many people either.  Please at least make the guy earn his paycheck before giving him an extension like we did the last guy. 

HorseFeathers

Already preaching gloom and doom before the first game.... Sounds like you've already wrote him off and ready to move on to the next potential coach?

bleudog

gameoflife

And in two days the saga continues.  I think a big win is expected and should be pretty easy to achieve, I don't think this game tells us much about what will happen in conference play but it should show whether or not we can play without many mistakes and with some intensity.

footballfan-tastic

All three of the first three games are must wins if Arkansas wants any chance of a successful season and possible bowl game. 

AirWarren

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on August 31, 2018, 10:26:49 am
All three of the first three games are must wins if Arkansas wants any chance of a successful season and possible bowl game. 

If Arkansas loses the first three. It's time to shut down the university and move everything out of NW Arkansas.

Valleysports

Quote from: AirWarren on August 31, 2018, 10:35:35 am
If Arkansas loses the first three. It's time to shut down the university and move everything out of NW Arkansas.

cuckoobird

RZback

Got the win but lots to work on.  I hate to think what our slow QB's are going to look like trying to run an offense and stay out of the hands of an SEC defense. We got a win, scored a lot and that's important but we struggled at times.
One question, Why white uni's?

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: RZback on September 01, 2018, 06:43:05 pm
Got the win but lots to work on.  I hate to think what our slow QB's are going to look like trying to run an offense and stay out of the hands of an SEC defense. We got a win, scored a lot and that's important but we struggled at times.

Watched the game with some friends and this sounds like our conversation.

bulldoghistorian

I know it was E Illinois, but did Storey win the starting job today? I think he made a strong case!

footballfan-tastic

He did have a good showing in this game but as you said it was E. Illinois.  But it was the same team Kelly was playing against.  I do agree with the perception that our QB's are slow afoot. SEC lineman are licking theirs lips right now.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on August 31, 2018, 10:26:49 am
They should win all three

bigworm

Im a lil spooked after watchin what bama did to Petrinos high powered louisville O. 😐

WPWells

Quote from: bigworm on September 02, 2018, 01:09:32 am
Im a lil spooked after watchin what bama did to Petrinos high powered louisville O. 😐

Except that literally no one expects us to beat Bama...

bdubyab60

Hopefully we improve instead of stay flat like the pst fee years. Running game is going to have to pick up. We looked more aggressive and physical on defense. Caused what 5 turnovers, that's half of what we caused all last year.

Was it the greatest performance no but not the worst either. I thought we should have hung 70 on them.

Once Storey came in it was a different offense. He made the quick decisions and the right ones. Kelley didn't seem able to do that today. It may have been the separation Morris was looking for. Another game like that and Storey would definitely be our starter.

gameoflife

I don't know if Storey will be the starter after another game or not but I do know we are slow at that position and that is scary when you look at conference play.  Yes, the run game needs work. But then, a win is a win.

beach bum

Well there is one more positive.... Colorado State seems to have fallen off the map. They have been a decent non power 5 of late but seem to be horrendous this year. If we can not beat a team the was just destroyed by Colorado thats not good

bdubyab60

We open at 12.5 favorite. We should expect some improvement in the next game. I'm not as worried about the WB if one of the two plays like Storey did. I am concerned about the run game. EIU coach said the plan was to make one of our QBs beat them and stop the run. Even so with the backs we have we should have been able to get more than 83 yards in e would think. I know Morris didn't pull out all the stops and sometimes you use short passes as the running game but we have to be able to run the ball.

Need to get Greenlaw back hopefully his injury isn't to serious.

RZback

Colorado should be a win for sure looking at how they have played.  I'm concerned about North Texas who beat SMU pretty good on Saturday 46-23.  Score was 39-7 with 1:41 left in game.  When the subs got in it got ugly quick.

Valleysports

I'm going to give it to you straight.  Ya got problems (serious problems) in the Trenches.  If your offensive line can't dominate an NAIA team, how the heck are you going to keep SEC defenses from pouring through like water?  Third & Fourth quarters, tongue hanging, QB's running for their lives, football coming in SEC play.  Sorry.

RZback

Quote from: Valleysports on September 05, 2018, 11:34:26 am
I'm going to give it to you straight.  Ya got problems (serious problems) in the Trenches.  If your offensive line can't dominate an NAIA team, how the heck are you going to keep SEC defenses from pouring through like water?  Third & Fourth quarters, tongue hanging, QB's running for their lives, football coming in SEC play.  Sorry.

This is also a concern of mine.  If we are struggling now its going to get really bad in a few weeks.  I just don't think we have the talent level we need as this point to compete on the SEC level.  As slow as our QB's look we need a great OL to protect them in the passing game and lord knows our run game was bad.

Cabotfan

Quote from: RZback on September 01, 2018, 06:43:05 pm

Heard Morris say it was to keep the players cooler with the heat of the afternoon game and nothing else.   

sportsguy80

Well the running game looks much better so far.

bulldoghistorian

bdubyab60

As good as he played last week he has stunk it up this week. Making poor decisions and bad throws.

Should be up by 20 and should have 5 INTS.

Defense is playing well. Running the ball better but that slow developing stuff isn't going to cut it here in a few weeks. Backs are tip toeing to the line instead hitting the hole.

bdubyab60

bulldoghistorian

Valleysports

September 08, 2018, 09:46:15 pm #394 Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 09:48:03 pm by Valleysports
 ;) 

bdubyab60

Absolutely horrible play calling. Horrible decisions by our QBs all night. We deserve to lose this game.

I'm finding a hard time finding another game we win this year

bdubyab60

And why I'm the world is the only darn receiver they have not double covered

beach bum

I guess Coach Morris drove us in the right lane of the highway all the way to Fort Collins?

sportsguy80

beach bum

This is the same team that lost to Hawaii and got blasted by Colorado....

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas