• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Marshall Football

Started by gunner22, March 06, 2015, 10:08:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gunner22

March 06, 2015, 10:08:58 am Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 10:41:15 am by gunner22
Is there a future for the Bobcats? What are the biggest issues they have? The coach? Not enough players? No support from the community?

AmSycho

If they're going to make any noise and possibly make the playoffs, this should be their year to break the drought. The Class of 2016 has some good players and good kids in it. Campbell,  Magness, Kelly, Davis, etc. Great group of kids. Not too sure what scheme they're running now offensively or defensively, been way out of pocket since the new regime took over there. My observation is based solely on the players that they have. I know it's never a good thing to compare junior high success to varsity success. Look at Nashville for example. They always had middle of the pack success in junior high ball, but once those freshmen became seniors, they turned into elite players. Lots of factors come into play. Heredity is a huge factor. Some of these kids mature faster than others, so they're bigger and faster than the competition.  In most cases, the competition catches up with them as varsity players. I had a buddy like that in high school. He was a beast in jr high. We all caught up with him so quickly after our freshmen year that he quit playing all together. But I digress. These kids were very salty as a freshmen team. Lost to West Fork in the over all championship, 20-0 (I believe). West Fork scored on 3 busted coverages. As long as the new staff established a legitimate weight program,  recruited (from the halls) some reinforcements, and put in a better scheme than they had before...they should be in the playoff mix. 1-3A east is a different kind of football that past 10 years, other than Mountain View a fee years back, I'm not sure they have a single playoff win amongst them. The last time Marshall had a significant team (10-0 entering the playoffs), they got embarrassed by a lower seed at Marshall finishing the season 10-1. I wish the best for these boys. They've worked hard.

Tigerdad2

Who is their coach, what's his resume?

gunner22

The coach is Lee Sadler. All I know is that he was at Mtn. Home the previous year. He's a younger guy.

whippersnapper

Quote from: AmSycho on March 07, 2015, 12:09:43 pm
If they're going to make any noise and possibly make the playoffs, this should be their year to break the drought. The Class of 2016 has some good players and good kids in it. Campbell,  Magness, Kelly, Davis, etc. Great group of kids. Not too sure what scheme they're running now offensively or defensively, been way out of pocket since the new regime took over there. My observation is based solely on the players that they have. I know it's never a good thing to compare junior high success to varsity success. Look at Nashville for example. They always had middle of the pack success in junior high ball, but once those freshmen became seniors, they turned into elite players. Lots of factors come into play. Heredity is a huge factor. Some of these kids mature faster than others, so they're bigger and faster than the competition.  In most cases, the competition catches up with them as varsity players. I had a buddy like that in high school. He was a beast in jr high. We all caught up with him so quickly after our freshmen year that he quit playing all together. But I digress. These kids were very salty as a freshmen team. Lost to West Fork in the over all championship, 20-0 (I believe). West Fork scored on 3 busted coverages. As long as the new staff established a legitimate weight program,  recruited (from the halls) some reinforcements, and put in a better scheme than they had before...they should be in the playoff mix. 1-3A east is a different kind of football that past 10 years, other than Mountain View a fee years back, I'm not sure they have a single playoff win amongst them. The last time Marshall had a significant team (10-0 entering the playoffs), they got embarrassed by a lower seed at Marshall finishing the season 10-1. I wish the best for these boys. They've worked hard.
The 10-1 team lost 14-0 to the state champion Glen Rose. Thats far from embarrassment!

minerjack

Nashville Jr. High hasn't lost a game in 4 years.

AmSycho

The old, 7AA/7AAA Nashville late 90s. They weren't ever anything special in Jr High. As of late, they're pretty good. Wasn't knocking them, just comparing jr high to varsity carryover.

And Glen rose was the Cinderella team that year. SC didn't know what hit them in the championship.

My whole point is, Iwant to see these young guys have some kind of success. They have been beaten up since moving up to varsity. Mainly because they were it, they had no senior leadership in the classes ahead of them to pull them along. It's their time now. They're battle hardened. I believe they statred 11 sophomores at one point on defense a few seasons ago. They're good kids. The honeymoon phase is over for the new coaching staff. Time to win a few more than 1.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: whippersnapper on March 09, 2015, 01:19:26 am
The 10-1 team lost 14-0 to the state champion Glen Rose. Thats far from embarrassment!

13-1 Glen Rose...They lost to Bauxite that year.

Quote from: AmSycho on March 09, 2015, 10:11:12 am
The old, 7AA/7AAA Nashville late 90s. They weren't ever anything special in Jr High. As of late, they're pretty good. Wasn't knocking them, just comparing jr high to varsity carryover.

And Glen rose was the Cinderella team that year. SC didn't know what hit them in the championship.

My whole point is, Iwant to see these young guys have some kind of success. They have been beaten up since moving up to varsity. Mainly because they were it, they had no senior leadership in the classes ahead of them to pull them along. It's their time now. They're battle hardened. I believe they statred 11 sophomores at one point on defense a few seasons ago. They're good kids. The honeymoon phase is over for the new coaching staff. Time to win a few more than 1.

Shiloh knew what hit them....It was deja vu for them...the 2 point conversion play to snatch a state title out of their hands had happened to them before...

Wonderdog

Quote from: HF on March 11, 2015, 09:59:03 pm

Shiloh knew what hit them....It was deja vu for them...the 2 point conversion play to snatch a state title out of their hands had happened to them before...
Maybe the final score of the Marshall vs Glen Rose game was 14-0??? Not sure though.

minerjack

Quote from: HF on March 11, 2015, 09:59:03 pm

Yeah, he's saying the final score to Marshall-GR was 14-0.  And as far as Shiloh being surprised, they weren't.  Glen Rose was known as the team to beat that year before the season even started.

AmSycho

Glen Rose didn't even win their conference that year.

minerjack

March 12, 2015, 09:11:56 am #11 Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 09:13:41 am by minerjack2212
Quote from: AmSycho on March 12, 2015, 09:01:03 am
Glen Rose didn't even win their conference that year.
They lost to their rival and the number two team in the state.  Bauxite.  Glen Rose was number three.

lorettalynn

they only loose 3 players off this team

minerjack

What kind of stuff is Coach Sadler running over there?

whippersnapper

Not trying to get off topic of the current Marshall team to much but yes. The 14-0 I was referring to was the score of the Marshall vs GR game. As to GR and that season. In 2006 they went 9-3 lost to Harrisburg in the 2nd round, coming into the 2007 season they returned 20 starters total with 2 of them being all state the 06 season. They were also Hootens preseason #4 team, conference coaches #1. They had a deadly I formation offense. Had 6'5 Michael Blancher  at WR(caught game winning 2 point against SC), a set of twins at QB and Fullback, and a 2 time all state tailback in Doug Vinson. He was MVP in the championship game running for 212 yards. Overall they were just a well rounded team. They had 1of those nights against rival Bauxite week 10 where everything went wrong, it happens.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: whippersnapper on March 12, 2015, 04:17:46 pm
Not trying to get off topic of the current Marshall team to much but yes. The 14-0 I was referring to was the score of the Marshall vs GR game. As to GR and that season. In 2006 they went 9-3 lost to Harrisburg in the 2nd round, coming into the 2007 season they returned 20 starters total with 2 of them being all state the 06 season. They were also Hootens preseason #4 team, conference coaches #1. They had a deadly I formation offense. Had 6'5 Michael Blancher  at WR(caught game winning 2 point against SC), a set of twins at QB and Fullback, and a 2 time all state tailback in Doug Vinson. He was MVP in the championship game running for 212 yards. Overall they were just a well rounded team. They had 1of those nights against rival Bauxite week 10 where everything went wrong, it happens.

Since you've already derailed the thread, 14-0 isn't the right score...It was 21-0 when I left the game that night.And Vinson got tossed out of that game for kicking a Marshall player in the facemask....Marshall had 1 of those nights against Glen Rose that night as well....

Oh well...Good Luck to the Bobcats this year!

Ridge Rat

Final was 28-0. Never have figured why the score is wrong on Fearless.

AmSycho

What 3 seniors did they lose this year?

Kraig Crist

Quote from: whippersnapper on March 12, 2015, 04:17:46 pm

They inspired us to upgrade our talent.

lorettalynn

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas