• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fair weather fans

Started by Hornet4ever, November 17, 2015, 11:57:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hornet4ever

I've been watching highlights of certain games the past few weeks and after watching some of these games I've noticed the lack of fan base for some teams, including in this some actually being the home team. With that being said its hard to not notice a home side nearly empty. I'm from Hackett, we've had our down years, believe me. But I still don't understand how a town cannot rep its school and show support for the boys who work their butt off to play on Friday nights. Just a rant, I know. But I wanted to see some other opinions on this because it grinds my gears to see that. Lets not name any schools, I don't want anyone being embarrassed.

big E

I make 95% of PWs games and we only win 3 games a year. Didn't make the trip to Hackett had to have a Crappie cooking at deer camp. I don't miss crappie cookings.

Ventman

I think it's sad. Carlisles last two years have been rough but the stands are always full. In lots cases we will have more fans than the home team. If fans don't start supporting their teams they may not have one much longer.

Wildcatalumni21

At Hector we are really blessed at the fan base we have!! Our fans travel to away games just as well. I know when we played at Bearden 3 weeks ago we prolly had 200 people supporting this group of young men! It's more than just coming out to watch! My Junior and Senior years we went a combined 2-18, and there's nothing more demoralizing to a high school kid who has worked his butt off all summer to take the field on a Friday night and there be hardly anyone there to show support for them!!

ExemplaryChimp

I think a lot of the time when a team has had a rough few years the kids will become uninterested also and not want to play anymore, especially when they do not have a strong fan base to support them. I think in many instances fan bases of some towns have kept kids playing when they've had down years, so in my opinion it should be important for a small town like a 2a or 3a school to go support their kids, and especially for parents and family to show up to the kids games as well.

Dragonsvoice

that what bugs me when parents don't travel to watch their kids play even if they don't start.

bigworm

Quote from: Dragonsvoice on November 18, 2015, 08:37:59 am
that what bugs me when parents don't travel to watch their kids play even if they don't start.

heck, some of them don't even come to home games and their kids start!! ridiculous. I guess they have better things to do. I understand in certain areas there are a lot of single parent homes and those parents may have to work at night. but some just don't care. they are just glad they are out of their hair for a while I guess.

BLUEBLOOD

I will have to give it to Dierks on this one.  Our fans show up whether the team is having a good year or down year.  Our fans travel well.  We can be a little "over the top" sometimes, but the passion is there.  Our players never have to wonder if they have the support of the community.  Sure, we have our share of fair-weather fans but we have a lot more of the faithful fans.

02cat

Quote from: bigworm on November 18, 2015, 09:01:41 am

heck, some of them don't even come to home games and their kids start!! ridiculous. I guess they have better things to do. I understand in certain areas there are a lot of single parent homes and those parents may have to work at night. but some just don't care. they are just glad they are out of their hair for a while I guess.
I'll agree with ya worm, it's ecspecially bad in peewee. You can just see the disappointment on some of those little guys faces because mom and dad aren't there. Those are the ones that don't care at all. I just wish sometimes I could adopt them all. Then it spills over into the high school games, I just don't get it. I wouldn't miss a game of my sons for anything in the world. Gotta hold on to those kids and the memories you make with them. Never know when they might be gone.

Hornet4ever

I was fortunate enough for my parents to follow me at all my games. I will do the same for mine when I do have children, I don't understand why you wouldn't follow your kids. Like I said, when you have work, or other personal duties it's understandable. But if your just lazy, that's a different story.

Dragonsvoice

I don't have a kid in the fight been volunteering with the burg since 2007, announcing games water boy at away games. used to make all the games until our 13 month old came along we have a 11 year old girl the boy was a surprise. last year after he was born I told the fans at one of the games that I guess you will be stuck with me for another 18 years lol! I will be really old then heck may die in the press box at that age lets see I will be 59 his senior year :o

#1wildcatfan

I can honestly say Rison has a pretty great fan base. A couple of weeks ago when we played Bearden it was pouring down rain and we knew that it wasn't going to be much of a game but we still filled up the visitor bleachers and sidelines. We love our Wildcats!!

Dragonsvoice

the burg usually has a good home crowd but never been to impressed with the away games crowd. wished we traveled with a little more.IDK

bigworm

Quote from: 02cat on November 18, 2015, 09:07:31 am

I'll agree with ya worm, it's ecspecially bad in peewee. You can just see the disappointment on some of those little guys faces because mom and dad aren't there. Those are the ones that don't care at all. I just wish sometimes I could adopt them all. Then it spills over into the high school games, I just don't get it. I wouldn't miss a game of my sons for anything in the world. Gotta hold on to those kids and the memories you make with them. Never know when they might be gone.

funny you say that. I shed a few tears this morning. my oldest turned 17 and I woke up thinking about all the fun times we had when he was just a little fellow. now hes a little over 6 foot. I coached peewee ball for years myself. we used to play in lake village and we would leave town about 9 in the morning to make a 12 oclock game. lake village for some reason was always a durn hour behind so typicall it was at least 1 before our game would start. we always stayed and watched any of our teams play if they played after us. there was a Saturday we were heading down there and a little 9 year old boy rode his bike to our meeting spot to catch a ride. I laughed when I saw him coming. imagine a kid in full pads and uniform with helmet on riding his bike down the road. anyway, we left town at 9 am and this child rode with me. we played and watched the game after ours. we stopped and ate with the rest of our faithful. BSed around a while in the restaurant and didn't get back in town till a little after 9. I never heard a word from that kids parents. I have thought a thousand times if my kid had left my house before 9 and I hadn't seen him at 9pm I would really want to know whats going on. not a peep from anyone. sad

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: bigworm on November 18, 2015, 09:50:48 am

funny you say that. I shed a few tears this morning. my oldest turned 17 and I woke up thinking about all the fun times we had when he was just a little fellow. now hes a little over 6 foot. I coached peewee ball for years myself. we used to play in lake village and we would leave town about 9 in the morning to make a 12 oclock game. lake village for some reason was always a durn hour behind so typicall it was at least 1 before our game would start. we always stayed and watched any of our teams play if they played after us. there was a Saturday we were heading down there and a little 9 year old boy rode his bike to our meeting spot to catch a ride. I laughed when I saw him coming. imagine a kid in full pads and uniform with helmet on riding his bike down the road. anyway, we left town at 9 am and this child rode with me. we played and watched the game after ours. we stopped and ate with the rest of our faithful. BSed around a while in the restaurant and didn't get back in town till a little after 9. I never heard a word from that kids parents. I have thought a thousand times if my kid had left my house before 9 and I hadn't seen him at 9pm I would really want to know whats going on. not a peep from anyone. sad

Some parents (term used loosely) use the peewee and baseball programs as a babysitter for them to have adult time several times a week. Could care less what their kid is doin as long as they are not in their hair.

raven

Quote from: Dragonsvoice on November 18, 2015, 09:22:04 am
I don't have a kid in the fight been volunteering with the burg since 2007, announcing games water boy at away games. used to make all the games until our 13 month old came along we have a 11 year old girl the boy was a surprise. last year after he was born I told the fans at one of the games that I guess you will be stuck with me for another 18 years lol! I will be really old then heck may die in the press box at that age lets see I will be 59 his senior year :o

I don't have a kid in the fight any more either...  All mine are graduated and no grand babies yet, I made every football game when my boys played and all the bb games too.  We have made every game this year, but it can be hard to put out the effort when you don't have kids playing anymore, especially with the traveling distances and being wet and cold. 

Wonderdog

This is pitiful. Glad there are good, involved parents around to help pick up a little bit of the slack from the poor parents.

#1wildcatfan

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on November 18, 2015, 10:09:54 am

Some parents (term used loosely) use the peewee and baseball programs as a babysitter for them to have adult time several times a week. Could care less what their kid is doin as long as they are not in their hair.

And that is really sad to me. I have young kids myself and I couldn't imagine missing anything of theirs. I try to be at every practice and game they have.....and if for some reason I can not make it my husband is there. I wouldn't care if they sat on the bench and never played a second in the game I will still be there to support them!

Lions84

It just as bad down here in TX as it is some other places.  We had a game and we are 4A school down here and the Visitors had one fan plus the bus driver on their side not counting the band and cheerleaders.  It been so bad the past 2 years our Jr Class has had to do other fund raisers to pay for Prom. At our school the Jr Class works the Visitor Concession Stand and gets the profits.

Clarendon was still pretty good the last time I was at a game about 4 or 5 years ago.

Hornet4ever

Quote from: #1wildcatfan on November 18, 2015, 10:23:42 am

And that is really sad to me. I have young kids myself and I couldn't imagine missing anything of theirs. I try to be at every practice and game they have.....and if for some reason I can not make it my husband is there. I wouldn't care if they sat on the bench and never played a second in the game I will still be there to support them!

I can't imagine missing my children's games either. That's the brightest spot of their lives. Atleast it was to me, I loved having my parents there after the games and was fortunate enough to have my dad on the sidelines coaching me. Just hope if someone's reading this and knows someone's parents who may don't go, invite them. Their kid will thank you.

Lions84

My wife never missed a game and I have missed 3 that my kid cheered in since 7th grade.

BigLion10

I don't have any kids and graduated about 6 years ago but I attend every gane home or away in football and basketball and try to attend as many baseball and softball games as I can. I just love watching high school sports and cheering my hometown on

WPWells

WPWells

You do need a girlfriend and a life though 😉

BigLion10

True that buddy haha, I'll bring her with me lol

WPWells

Honestly if you get a girlfriend you still don't have a life

JimmyTiger2001

Quote from: Hornet4ever on November 18, 2015, 10:30:00 am
Quote from: #1wildcatfan on November 18, 2015, 10:23:42 am

I can't imagine missing my children's games either. That's the brightest spot of their lives. Atleast it was to me, I loved having my parents there after the games and was fortunate enough to have my dad on the sidelines coaching me. Just hope if someone's reading this and knows someone's parents who may don't go, invite them. Their kid will thank you.

I am a single father raising a 5&7 yr old. Both boys. My oldest plays peewee football and next year they both will play. They also both play baseball. I work a full-time job, yet I still manage to help coach the peewee team and during the peewee games I am the PA announcer. Its about priorities people. I'd never use my kids or sports as an excuse for adult time. I pour as much of my time as possible into my boys, and I can see the results. Some parents just make me sick. If I can do it they can too.

BigLion10

Not true sports is my life :D

sevenof400

Quote from: Hornet4ever on November 17, 2015, 11:57:29 pm
I've been watching highlights of certain games the past few weeks and after watching some of these games I've noticed the lack of fan base for some teams, including in this some actually being the home team. With that being said its hard to not notice a home side nearly empty. I'm from Hackett, we've had our down years, believe me. But I still don't understand how a town cannot rep its school and show support for the boys who work their butt off to play on Friday nights. Just a rant, I know. But I wanted to see some other opinions on this because it grinds my gears to see that. Lets not name any schools, I don't want anyone being embarrassed.

There are a lot of reasons that could be addressed here, but one of the emerging and continuing trends is the downward participation rates in youth football.  As more sports choices emerge (and you can argue that is a positive or a negative), football is going to suffer form declining participation numbers and dwindling interest. 

On a broader scope though, look at how disconnected our communities are becoming and look at how tenuous the bonds are which bind a community together.  We barely acknowledge neighbors we probably don't know, we spend more hours working now than ever before and much of this time isn't even spent in the town you live in anymore. 

The social bonds between people and their community are weakening.

HorseFeathers

I'm a fair weather fan.... can't stand watching one sided football games

big E

HF that's why I didn't make the trip to Hackett . Besides crappie sounded better to me. Lol

HorseFeathers

Quote from: big E on November 18, 2015, 05:51:42 pm
HF that's why I didn't make the trip to Hackett . Besides crappie sounded better to me. Lol

Crappie 》football

RiverEagle079

I work on Friday nights so its hard for me to get to the games  :'(

Lionbro20

Worm that kid on the bike wasn't my brother by any chance was it? And it has been nice being old enough to see my brother and your son grow up to respectful young men!

new2karting

Getting them there is one challenge...keeping their heads out of their cell phones is another!  ;)

Prouddragondad

When dragonvoice and I was in school they would take a spectator bus to all the away football games. Students would pay a dollar and that cover them getting into the game. Burg quit doing this several years ago. It be nice to get more students at away games cause they are the ones that really make all the noise. Well except for dragonvoice and I we get pretty loud in the pressbox. Lol!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Prouddragondad on November 18, 2015, 08:10:53 pm
When dragonvoice and I was in school they would take a spectator bus to all the away football games. Students would pay a dollar and that cover them getting into the game. Burg quit doing this several years ago. It be nice to get more students at away games cause they are the ones that really make all the noise. Well except for dragonvoice and I we get pretty loud in the pressbox. Lol!

I can remember Hector doing this....I don't know if they still do...Hopefully, they'll consider it if we win this week...

Dragonsvoice

I was probably way to excited last Friday lions lucky they playing at home it would be rowdy at dragons field LOL!

BigLion10

We took a pep bus to all the away basketball games when I was in school too paid 5 dollars but it saved a lot on gas

Dragonsvoice

Quote from: BigLion10 on November 18, 2015, 08:27:00 pm
We took a pep bus to all the away basketball games when I was in school too paid 5 dollars but it saved a lot on gas
the pep bus was where all the fun happened :o

BigLion10

Oh yea especially after a big win on the ride home

raven

When we went to Hughes all those many years ago for a playoff game several of the parents went together and rented a van.  Seems like they also took a spectator bus, but it's been too long ago to remember now. 

I think it's a shame we don't have a pep bus, but I don't think there is enough interest from the students.    Seems like there was a lot more student interest 10 years ago than now, but we didn't have smart phones and so many video games.

Hornet4ever

Quote from: raven on November 19, 2015, 06:32:45 am

When we went to Hughes all those many years ago for a playoff game several of the parents went together and rented a van.  Seems like they also took a spectator bus, but it's been too long ago to remember now. 

I think it's a shame we don't have a pep bus, but I don't think there is enough interest from the students.    Seems like there was a lot more student interest 10 years ago than now, but we didn't have smart phones and so many video games.

Kids are more worried about going to the mall or playing on their phones now. Lol

fbisgreat

I'm glad Hector has turned it around.My son played for Charleston a fews years back and played at Hector and they had 14 players about 50 people at the game and CHS won 49-0 but i was proud of Hector for not quitting.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: fbisgreat on November 19, 2015, 07:30:56 pm
I'm glad Hector has turned it around.My son played for Charleston a fews years back and played at Hector and they had 14 players about 50 people at the game and CHS won 49-0 but i was proud of Hector for not quitting.

Must have been '07

bfp

For Hackett that is where I come in. I am single and do not have any children,  but I  support the Hackett Hornets.  To me all of the kids at Hackett are like my children.  I have a great love for high school sports, because for many kids it's the last chance they get to participate in organized sports. They play for the love of the game.  Hornets ever can vouch for that.

Prouddragondad

This is for all the young parents out there. I have three kids one in 8th, 10th and a senior. They played football, basketball and baseball in little league and I coached all their teams in all 3 sports. Like someone said before its about setting your priorities. You and your spouse need adult time and you can get that but your kids should aways come first especially when they are little cause they will always remember that. My kids today still talk about when I coached them in little league. You don't have to coach just being there is whats important to them. Today my kids do football, basketball, cross country, track, and dance and we are at every event so please make your kids first in your life and I promise you want regret it. My family is very close and thats what its all about.

sevenof400

Quote from: Prouddragondad on November 21, 2015, 08:08:17 am
This is for all the young parents out there. I have three kids one in 8th, 10th and a senior. They played football, basketball and baseball in little league and I coached all their teams in all 3 sports. Like someone said before its about setting your priorities. You and your spouse need adult time and you can get that but your kids should aways come first especially when they are little cause they will always remember that. My kids today still talk about when I coached them in little league. You don't have to coach just being there is whats important to them. Today my kids do football, basketball, cross country, track, and dance and we are at every event so please make your kids first in your life and I promise you want regret it. My family is very close and thats what its all about.

And to add to this, one day (before you know it), the days of your kids participating in sports likely come to an end and you'll never look at a field, pitch or gym exactly the same again.  Enjoy those days while you can!

Well stated, Prouddragondad!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas