• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dierks @ Conway Christian

Started by Crackerjaxon, November 05, 2015, 09:58:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Boy

Good season for the Outlaws, but we pretty much won every game we should have and lost every game we should have.  It's frustrating to see that we can't seem to play up and beat someone who may be a little better than us. 
[/quote]
I'm not bashing the team, but I'm having trouble calling this a "good" season.  This team is a perfect example of early "playing career" success not equaling success in high school.  I know it's a team sport, but I'm pretty sure the Sr's lost three times as many games the last two seasons than they did their previous eight seasons combined (I'm going back to the third grade here so hope my math is half way accurate).  I know they went 7-1 in 8th, 9-0 in 9th, and 11-1 in 10th (although we had a good Sr class this year). I'm pretty sure they would tell you they weren't happy or satisfied on how it ended.  I really wish we had a good weight program, a track program, and get numbers up and play a 3-4 game JV schedule.   

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: Big Boy on November 18, 2015, 08:52:49 pm
Good season for the Outlaws, but we pretty much won every game we should have and lost every game we should have.  It's frustrating to see that we can't seem to play up and beat someone who may be a little better than us. 
I'm not bashing the team, but I'm having trouble calling this a "good" season.  This team is a perfect example of early "playing career" success not equaling success in high school.  I know it's a team sport, but I'm pretty sure the Sr's lost three times as many games the last two seasons than they did their previous eight seasons combined (I'm going back to the third grade here so hope my math is half way accurate).  I know they went 7-1 in 8th, 9-0 in 9th, and 11-1 in 10th (although we had a good Sr class this year). I'm pretty sure they would tell you they weren't happy or satisfied on how it ended.  I really wish we had a good weight program, a track program, and get numbers up and play a 3-4 game JV schedule.   
[/quote]

All good goals to have.  My comment of a "good season" is that we finished about where we were expected to finish.  Our conference has done well.  Dierks played everyone tough except Gurdon.  Mt Ida game was never in question, but our boys played to the end.  Peewee/Jr high success is great, but it doesn't necessarily equal success in Sr high.  You have kids that develop early, kids that develop late, kids who don't get any better, kids who don't know how to handle the other athletes catching up to them, etc.  There are so many variables.

Weight program, conditioning program and numbers to play JV games would all help.  It takes an effort from the staff to monitor this and set the expectation.

tacklethis...

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on November 19, 2015, 08:31:12 am

All good goals to have.  My comment of a "good season" is that we finished about where we were expected to finish.  Our conference has done well.  Dierks played everyone tough except Gurdon.  Mt Ida game was never in question, but our boys played to the end.  Peewee/Jr high success is great, but it doesn't necessarily equal success in Sr high.  You have kids that develop early, kids that develop late, kids who don't get any better, kids who don't know how to handle the other athletes catching up to them, etc.  There are so many variables.

Weight program, conditioning program and numbers to play JV games would all help.  It takes an effort from the staff to monitor this and set the expectation.
[/quote]

When will this monitoring begin? Is it my job? Yours? Who owns this?

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: tacklethis... on November 19, 2015, 09:49:46 am
Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on November 19, 2015, 08:31:12 am

When will this monitoring begin? Is it my job? Yours? Who owns this?
[/quote]

As a parent and member of the community, it is my job to make a difference.  Being negative isn't bad if you do it constructively.  If there are issues with the coaching staff, go talk to them.  If that doesn't work, they have a boss and so on.  Contrary to what you hear on the sidelines under the lights, coaches want to WIN!!! 

As with any job, its a long grind if you are only as good as your last result.  Burnout is real and coaching is a thankless job. 

tacklethis...

Next season the Outlaws have a very good chance to win the conference. He have holes to fill but so does the rest...Mt Ida loses alot, Gurdon is gone, Burks is gone, Mineral is still down,  etc, etc.

whoknows

November 19, 2015, 03:59:18 pm #55 Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 04:01:39 pm by whoknows
Honestly...I think more of it lays on the parents and kids then the coaches...when it comes to the off season...if the kids aren't attending the volunteer weight room work outs and conditioning then no progress will be made...parents have to encourage the kids to do these things...because the off season is where the kids get better...the playbook doesn't change...they have to get stronger and faster...the kids have to put in the work...coaches can't make the kids do this...

tacklethis...

November 19, 2015, 04:16:05 pm #56 Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 04:20:28 pm by tacklethis...
Quote from: whoknows on November 19, 2015, 03:59:18 pm
Honestly...I think more of it lays on the parents and kids then the coaches...when it comes to the off season...if the kids aren't attending the volunteer weight room work outs and conditioning then no progress will be made...parents have to encourage the kids to do these things...because the off season is where the kids get better...the playbook doesn't change...they have to get stronger and faster...the kids have to put in the work...coaches can't make the kids do this...

Off seasons were mandatory when I played. Not an option. Why are they optional now? Guess what, all the coaches were there too with a workout. Don't dare miss you would make it up....

Practice sessions also went full speed. Is that on the parents too?

Now since its on the parents to make the program better why do we need the staff?

whoknows

November 19, 2015, 05:11:13 pm #57 Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 05:17:12 pm by whoknows
I'm sure regulations these days prevent coaches from having mandatory workouts in the off season...same with practices...they are only allowed so many full pad practices...coaches can't do what they want anymore...even if they were able to...then you would have those parents complaining about the coaches working them too much not allowing their child to have a "life"...like the previous poster noted...coaching is a thankless job...

tacklethis...

Quote from: whoknows on November 19, 2015, 05:11:13 pm
I'm sure regulations these days prevent coaches from having mandatory workouts in the off season...same with practices...they are only allowed so many full pad practices...coaches can't do what they want anymore...even if they were able to...then you would have those parents complaining about the coaches working them too much not allowing their child to have a "life"...like the previous poster noted...coaching is a thankless job...

They are allowed to practice now more than ever...spring practice,etc.

whoknows

Like 5 practices over 10 days...not much help there...I'm sure you have a better concept of the program then I do...as I've not attended many ball games lately...but I listen every week on the radio...like I said the playbook doesn't change from junior high to senior high much...I myself think the off season is where the biggest differences are made...especially with a school like Dierks who doesn't have tons and tons of talent(speed)...guys like Harvell and Burks can get away with having a lackadaisical work ethic...because  they are pure athletes with loads of God given talent...

For the record I'm by no means saying that Harvell or Burks didn't work hard in the off season...I was only using them as a example...

tacklethis...

Quote from: whoknows on November 19, 2015, 05:51:46 pm
Like 5 practices over 10 days...not much help there...I'm sure you have a better concept of the program then I do...as I've not attended many ball games lately...but I listen every week on the radio...like I said the playbook doesn't change from junior high to senior high much...I myself think the off season is where the biggest differences are made...especially with a school like Dierks who doesn't have tons and tons of talent(speed)...guys like Harvell and Burks can get away with having a lackadaisical work ethic...because  they are pure athletes with loads of God given talent...

For the record I'm by no means saying that Harvell or Burks didn't work hard in the off season...I was only using them as a example...

The truth as I see it is...our players never improve. They won't get stronger, faster, or become better tacklers. We peak out early and everyone catches up and in the end are better football players...

We almost never win a game we shouldn't and quite often lose a game we should win. As sophomores our players as a whole never improve as juniors or seniors...

whoknows

I can definately agree with you on that...

BLUEBLOOD

I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  The coaches have to stress the importance of the weight rooms, etc.  The AAA has regulations that will dictate what they can/can't require.  However, the parents have to back the coach in these "voluntary" workouts.  The coach should have "make ups" for any workouts missed (even if for a legitimate reason).  The parents should support the coach. 

It's going to take all of us to be the program we want to be.  I think most parents will support a CONSISTENT disciplinary action even if it involves their child.  If you aren't consistent with punishment, loss of playing time, etc then you are wide open for complaints (and justifiably so).  This takes a commitment from the coaching staff.  Sometimes you even have to be willing to lose a game to discipline a player, because after all you are training adults (not football players). 

tacklethis...

We also lost an important assistant a couple seasons back, I think our program has suffered from that loss.

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: tacklethis... on November 20, 2015, 09:24:04 am
We also lost an important assistant a couple seasons back, I think our program has suffered from that loss.

People have to make the best decisions for themselves.  He was an asset to our program I agree.

Lions84

[/quote]

Tough loss !

tacklethis...

Quote from: Lions84 on November 20, 2015, 10:07:03 am

Tough loss !
[/quote]

Since the 84 season this team probably ranked 4th in talent behind the 04, 05, and 13 teams. Some would argue the 07 and 08 seasons but I feel like this team was better. Ended 6-5. Kind of a let down of talent...

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: tacklethis... on November 20, 2015, 02:58:32 pm

Tough loss !

Since the 84 season this team probably ranked 4th in talent behind the 04, 05, and 13 teams. Some would argue the 07 and 08 seasons but I feel like this team was better. Ended 6-5. Kind of a let down of talent...
[/quote]

Very talented for sure.  But they lost to 3 teams who were clearly better (Gurdon, Mt Ida, Fouke), 1 game that could have gone either way to a team with more talent (Lafayette Co) and a playoff game where the offense just didn't have it going (CC).  I went to every game and that's my opinion of how our season shook out. 

Also, of the wins:  Murfreesboro game could have gone either way.  Springhill game was a couple of big plays (by our FB on trap) from being 8-6 LATE in that one.

Don't forget we lost our starting QB in the spring, so in 7-on-7 and fall practice we had our 2nd string QB.  He gets knocked out in a scrimmage at Horatio and we are down to #3 QB.  He had some great moments and moments where he struggled but that was a tough spot for that guy (luckily he's a tough kid who stepped up and played his heart out).  Our OL wasn't good enough to just line up and run #29 every play without some passing game to keep defense honest, so there was considerable pressure on the QB to make some plays each game. 

Just another year in 2A football where a couple of key injuries can hurt you badly.  I could cite a few more examples where injuries made a difference in this season, but the fact is that every other team had injuries too. 

BOTTOM LINE:  We won 6 and lost 5. 

tacklethis...

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on November 20, 2015, 03:07:58 pm
Quote from: tacklethis... on November 20, 2015, 02:58:32 pm

Tough loss !

Very talented for sure.  But they lost to 3 teams who were clearly better (Gurdon, Mt Ida, Fouke), 1 game that could have gone either way to a team with more talent (Lafayette Co) and a playoff game where the offense just didn't have it going (CC).  I went to every game and that's my opinion of how our season shook out. 

Also, of the wins:  Murfreesboro game could have gone either way.  Springhill game was a couple of big plays (by our FB on trap) from being 8-6 LATE in that one.

Don't forget we lost our starting QB in the spring, so in 7-on-7 and fall practice we had our 2nd string QB.  He gets knocked out in a scrimmage at Horatio and we are down to #3 QB.  He had some great moments and moments where he struggled but that was a tough spot for that guy (luckily he's a tough kid who stepped up and played his heart out).  Our OL wasn't good enough to just line up and run #29 every play without some passing game to keep defense honest, so there was considerable pressure on the QB to make some plays each game. 

Just another year in 2A football where a couple of key injuries can hurt you badly.  I could cite a few more examples where injuries made a difference in this season, but the fact is that every other team had injuries too. 

BOTTOM LINE:  We won 6 and lost 5.
[/quote]
Bottom line....letdown....

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas