• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Delay Impact Discussion

Started by BillyJack™, December 04, 2013, 08:13:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyJack™

Okay, for the coaches, what impact will having the extra week to prepare benefit these two teams? Or, for the players, will the two week cool down hurt them?

pantherblue

I think it hurts the basketball teams more than the football teams.

BillyJack™

My 2 cents:

I believe Morrilton has the better athletes in key positions and the two weeks will give more time to heal up all the bumps and bruises. Being healthy for a "Shoot Out" game strategy it very important.

On the other hand, you give a coach like King an extra week to prep for taking it to trenches and playing disciplined, grind it out football, that's hard for anyone to beat.

I guess I'm old school and will take coaching over talent. Benefit Batesville.

BillyJack™

Quote from: pantherblue on December 04, 2013, 08:15:23 pm
I think it hurts the basketball teams more than the football teams.
+1

Brian G

You have to figure there is a key player in this game or in another of the delayed finals that now plays that wouldn't have otherwise due to an injury.

DogsWin7

Good point.    Does or can anticipation factor in to how players prepare mentally?   

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: BillyJack™ on December 04, 2013, 08:24:50 pm
I think you are underestimating Coach McNabb & staffs' ability. Also not sure Morrilton is more talented than Batesville, although Hawkins is probably the best player in 5A.

Also, I don't think this will be a shootout for two reasons...
1. Both of these teams are built around having a nasty defense, even though both have very good offenses. 
2. I think the extra time benefits the defensive coaches to prepare more than it benefits the offense.

I don't believe either team will score more than an avg of a TD a qtr on offense.

DB

BillyJack™

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Harrison on December 04, 2013, 09:35:04 pm
Quote from: BillyJack™ on December 04, 2013, 08:24:50 pm
I think you are underestimating Coach McNabb & staffs' ability. Also not sure Morrilton is more talented than Batesville, although Hawkins is probably the best player in 5A.

Also, I don't think this will be a shootout for two reasons...
1. Both of these teams are built around having a nasty defense, even though both have very good offenses. 
2. I think the extra time benefits the defensive coaches to prepare more than it benefits the offense.

I don't believe either team will score more than an avg of a TD a qtr on offense.
Don't get me wrong Coach, I think the teams are fairly well balanced in talent and coaching. I was commenting strictly on the delay impact.

Unless Morrilton has slowed down dramatically since week 5, their QB and 2 of their receivers are much faster and pretty well coordinated to each other. That's what I meant by better athletes in key positions. I called them as having a "Shoot out" concept because they've laid 35+ points each game but two through the season using that coordination. Batesville on the other hand, from the one game I saw them play, relied more on their backers to get through and outside. Ground and pound.

I edged and only edged King having the benefit over McNabb because of the adjustments made using what he had during our game. Morrilton couldn't adjust and became sloppy when the heavy defense weighed in on them. Could have been an off game in mid season, but that's what happened and what I based my comment on. That being said, the extra week should make King even more adaptable and why I gave him the benefit.

That's the delay benefits only though. As for the game itself, both teams are strong and well coached. I expect it to be one of, if not the best game to watch this season.

ahsalum

It delays my drinking at War Memorial by a week.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: BillyJack™ on December 05, 2013, 08:20:00 amDon't get me wrong Coach, I think the teams are fairly well balanced in talent and coaching. I was commenting strictly on the delay impact.

Unless Morrilton has slowed down dramatically since week 5, their QB and 2 of their receivers are much faster and pretty well coordinated to each other. That's what I meant by better athletes in key positions. I called them as having a "Shoot out" concept because they've laid 35+ points each game but two through the season using that coordination. Batesville on the other hand, from the one game I saw them play, relied more on their backers to get through and outside. Ground and pound.

I edged and only edged King having the benefit over McNabb because of the adjustments made using what he had during our game. Morrilton couldn't adjust and became sloppy when the heavy defense weighed in on them. Could have been an off game in mid season, but that's what happened and what I based my comment on. That being said, the extra week should make King even more adaptable and why I gave him the benefit.

That's the delay benefits only though. As for the game itself, both teams are strong and well coached. I expect it to be one of, if not the best game to watch this season.

+1

I actually haven't seen Batesville this year, so I'll rely on your observations.  I did see them last year and this year and last in JV.  I don't think there is any question that Coach King is one of the top coaches in the state.  I also don't think it will be long before McNabb will be viewed in a similar light.

As for the shootout, I think that looking at the scores, most would agree.  I just have a feeling that this game will be more about defense...a 28-24, 28-21 type game if not a TD less on both sides.  Regardless of the score, I don't think this will be decided by more than 7 points.

walkingguy72396

After the Alma vs Batesville game.

Batesville can score 30 or more on about any-one.

I do not think that Morrilton can keep the score under 30.

Not many teams win ball games in which they give up more than 30.

So Batesville is still my pick.

MDXPHD

Quote from: walkingguy72396 on December 05, 2013, 01:07:38 pm

After the Alma vs Batesville game.

Batesville can score 30 or more on about any-one.

I do not think that Morrilton can keep the score under 30.

Not many teams win ball games in which they give up more than 30.

So Batesville is still my pick.

You are really over looking Morrilton, as is the rest of the state.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 05, 2013, 01:18:08 pm

No one in Batesville is overlooking Morrilton, but the Pioneers will score several times in this game.  I can't imagine that they will score less than 30 unless they have the number of fumbles (5) as they did against CF - a game in which they still scored 26.  The big question is; can Morrilton score more:). First one to 36 wins!!

MDXPHD

Quote from: Intelligentsia on December 05, 2013, 11:35:08 pm

No one in Batesville is overlooking Morrilton, but the Pioneers will score several times in this game.  I can't imagine that they will score less than 30 unless they have the number of fumbles (5) as they did against CF - a game in which they still scored 26.  The big question is; can Morrilton score more:). First one to 36 wins!!

I'm going to say that could be accurate, but I am also going to say that Morrilton has just as good of a defense that CF had, if not better.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 06, 2013, 07:45:32 am
Quote from: Intelligentsia on December 05, 2013, 11:35:08 pm

I'm going to say that could be accurate, but I am also going to say that Morrilton has just as good of a defense that CF had, if not better.

It may well be better.  If you watched the Pioneer-CF game, you know that the Pioneers moved the ball quite well, with the O+line blowing massive holes in the CF line, especially in the first half.  We moved the ball in the second half pretty well but we could not hang on to it.  One botched Center/ QB exchange with the backup QB followed by two consecutive fumbles kept the ball in CF hands and each led to a score. 

While Morrilton may have an answer, they will be the first to stop the ball movement with exception of our poor performance at Nettleton early in the season.  Not saying that Morrilton can't point up more points, just saying that the Pioneers should get theirs if they hold on to the ball.  Pioneers should score 30+, question is, will the Devil Dogs score more:). I'm sure D+Coordinator is planning a strategy to stop the DD, and he is quite the defensive strategist.

Uncle Ivan

Trench game, basically.  What are Morrilton's lines, ala size, etc.

ahsalum

DL ave is 5'8  195

OL ave is 5'10  205

Uncle Ivan

They're little.  Hope they're quick, then.

ahsalum

Their slowest lineman runs a 4.5.

The_Pioneer

DogsWin7

Doggone

December 13, 2013, 04:01:34 pm #22 Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 04:49:01 pm by Doggone
Quote from: The_Pioneer on December 06, 2013, 03:23:17 pm
And gets massages from dudes.

That was you?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas