• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Morrilton vs. Batesville 5A State

Started by Almahasbeen, November 29, 2013, 10:49:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

5A state champs

Batesville
46 (54.8%)
Morrilton
38 (45.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

PioneerJack

Well, I'm a Pioneer fan to the end, I'm not blaming officials or goal posts width.  All I saw was a hard fought game between two great teams.  It is a shame either team had to lose.  Congratulations to Devil Dogs on winning the title.  Very deserving Champions.  Perhaps we will meet again in "The Rock" next year and have a rematch. 

PercussionMan

December 15, 2013, 01:01:07 am #151 Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 01:02:42 am by PercussionMan
Quote from: C-Mac 73 on December 14, 2013, 10:05:58 pm
Before someone else jumps my case... I'm not complaining about the officiating as a whole. Seriously, I know how annoying that is. There were good and bad calls both ways. But the officials DID clearly cost Batesville a shot at overtime. The kick was good.

You're clearly as bogus as your previous posts the last two weeks have proven. Make excuses all you want for your team's loss. The officials kept Batesville in the game in the second half. The kick was good, huh? So, I here I have been thinking all of these years of watching football at all levels that the ball had to be INSIDE the uprights to be good! So, it's actually OUTSIDE the uprights that makes a kick good? That's news to me.

Keep on dreaming...the kick was wide left.

Last two meetings in crucial games (once in the semi-finals, once in the finals)...Batesville is 0-2 against Morrilton.

Last three state finals, Batesville is 0-3.
I'm sure you have good excuses in all three, as you usually do.

Now, you be sure to chew that crow up carefully...it should be easier for you to swallow that way.

minerjack

Before someone else jumps my case... I'm not complaining about the officiating as a whole. Seriously, I know how annoying that is. There were good and bad calls both ways. But the officials DID clearly cost Batesville a shot at overtime. The kick was good.
Never had a doubt about the official's signal.  He has the best view in the house.  That is why he sits under the uprights.  Coming from a non-biased view.  And I actually wanted it to go into overtime.

MDXPHD

Come on C-mac, you can't honestly think that the kick was good, right? It looked good from both angles in the stands, but the official would NOT have said no good if it had gone through the uprights.  I think what cost Batesville the game was when they called a pass play on third down with the clock running and the qb took a sack.  SPIKE the ball!! Give your kicker time to set up and kick it. 

wonderboy

Intelligentsia

Congratulations Morriliton, your boys played well and that QB is a fine athlete. 

I'm proud if the Pioneers, they sacrificed much to make it back to the final game.  I'm also happy that there were no serious injuries and  the teams demonstrated good sportsmanship.  My boy is done with football now and he has learned much about "Team" and perseverance through the experience.  Looking forward to following the Pioneers for years to come!!

wing

Quote from: Intelligentsia on December 15, 2013, 08:47:56 am
Congratulations Morriliton, your boys played well and that QB is a fine athlete. 

I'm proud if the Pioneers, they sacrificed much to make it back to the final game.  I'm also happy that there were no serious injuries and  the teams demonstrated good sportsmanship.  My boy is done with football now and he has learned much about "Team" and perseverance through the experience.  Looking forward to following the Pioneers for years to come!!

Intellgentsia, you boy had a fine run. Few can say they made to three times to WMS. Batesville has had three great seasons.

C-Mac 73

Quote from: PercussionMan on December 15, 2013, 01:01:07 am

You're clearly as bogus as your previous posts the last two weeks have proven. Make excuses all you want for your team's loss. The officials kept Batesville in the game in the second half. The kick was good, huh? So, I here I have been thinking all of these years of watching football at all levels that the ball had to be INSIDE the uprights to be good! So, it's actually OUTSIDE the uprights that makes a kick good? That's news to me.

Keep on dreaming...the kick was wide left.

Last two meetings in crucial games (once in the semi-finals, once in the finals)...Batesville is 0-2 against Morrilton.

Last three state finals, Batesville is 0-3.
I'm sure you have good excuses in all three, as you usually do.

Now, you be sure to chew that crow up carefully...it should be easier for you to swallow that way.
Anything bogus I've said in the last two weeks would simply be me trying to stir the pot. Morrilton doesn't have many posters on here so threads were pretty boring. I honestly thought this would be a good game and that Batesville would have to contain Hawkins to win. We didn't do a very good job of that. He picked us apart really. The receivers were a problem for our corners. But here's the deal on the kick. It looked good to everyone in the stands, and two Morrilton fans have even said so. I was convinced yesterday that it was good. Maybe it wasn't. Maybe it just missed. But even so, college goal posts and high school goal posts are different sizes. The kick would CLEARLY be good on a high school goal post and this wouldn't be a discussion. So, call it an excuse if you want, but the fact stands that 23' 4" and 18' 6" is quite a difference. I'm not trying to make excuses. We had plenty of opportunities to win the game and couldn't get it done. Congratulations to Morrilton and enjoy the 2013 state championship.

the voice

I see your point c Mac , yet let's not forget the FG morrilton missed as well which would've extended their lead . It was a great game . There will always be plays that could've or would've , when time runs out it's always the team that did the most when those opportunities were there. Saturday it was the devil dogs , if the game were played again who's to say , on that day when it mattered the devil dogs won the game.
Congrats to all those players and everyone involved it's been a long 40 years since the last one !

PercussionMan

If the field goal was between the uprights, then the two officials underneath (who have the best view) would have signaled otherwise. It wasn't over the top of the post...it was lower and to the left. Despite the size difference between high school and college goal posts, I'm sure they prepared their kicker for that during the last two weeks. King even mentioned it in an on field interview immediately after the game. How long have championships been played at War Memorial Stadium? Long enough to know the differences, especially if your team has been there four times in the last decade. The goal posts were the same for both teams in the championship. No unfair advantage for either in that situation. You either handle business, or you don't...and Morrilton did...that's why they are state champions this year.

minerjack

Quote from: PercussionMan on December 15, 2013, 01:01:45 pm
If the field goal was between the uprights, then the two officials underneath (who have the best view) would have signaled otherwise. It wasn't over the top of the post...it was lower and to the left. Despite the size difference between high school and college goal posts, I'm sure they prepared their kicker for that during the last two weeks. King even mentioned it in an on field interview immediately after the game. How long have championships been played at War Memorial Stadium? Long enough to know the differences, especially if your team has been there four times in the last decade. The goal posts were the same for both teams in the championship. No unfair advantage for either in that situation. You either handle business, or you don't...and Morrilton did...that's why they are state champions this year.
I'm pretty sure they change out the field goal posts.  Arkansas only plays there 2 times a year and Little Rock Catholic plays there every Friday night for home games.  There would be no sense in keeping college level field goal posts up.

Almahasbeen

Even if it was college goals.. Both teams kicked on them didn't they? I don't believe in making excuses for losing. Not the refs not the goal posts nothing.. 22 boys fought yesterday at 12:00 for something young men dream of and the teams were very deserving but the team that won was the better team that day.. Refs don't lose games for kids idc what level.. Not trying to stir the pot more just can't stand hearing about how refs helped a certain team.. Those refs don't give two craps what team wins they call it how they see it and that's the name of the game

Devil Dog 17

Intelligentsia

Quote from: wing on December 15, 2013, 09:56:29 am
Quote from: Intelligentsia on December 15, 2013, 08:47:56 am

Intellgentsia, you boy had a fine run. Few can say they made to three times to WMS. Batesville has had three great seasons.

Thanks Wing.  Please allow me to brag just a bit:)  These seniors are a fine bunch who had great success.   From 8-12, (using 10th JV schedule), they were 50-8-1.  2 Jr High and 2 Sr High Conference Championships and 2 time runner up at state (not counting their 10th when a few played varsity).  The 8 losses - 1 to Wynne CF, and Morrilton, 2 Springdale, 3 Jonesboro, were all to fine teams.  They are also smart with nearly all going to college, the majority earning academic scholarships.  Bright futures for these boys who learned much from their high school football experience.   

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 15, 2013, 07:14:00 am
but the official would NOT have said no good if it had gone through the uprights.

Sure, they would.  Hamburg's refs back in the 1990's were notorious for this.

ahsalum

If Batesville had taken care of business early, then there would be none of this guessing about the kick atthe end of the game.

There are no excuses when you lose. Other than the other team outworked you.

Congrats to Motown.

catsbaseball

Quote from: minerjack2212 on December 15, 2013, 02:02:29 pm
Quote from: PercussionMan on December 15, 2013, 01:01:45 pm
I'm pretty sure they change out the field goal posts.  Arkansas only plays there 2 times a year and Little Rock Catholic plays there every Friday night for home games.  There would be no sense in keeping college level field goal posts up.

they do not change out the goal posts

LT56

I have let you all weigh in on your opinions and I held back mine until now. First let me say that speed is the ultimate equalizer in football. Morrilton had more and it showed. Some of you might not have noticed, but Batesville threw a screen pass during that last drive and made it down inside the 5 yd line and was set up for the go ahead touchdown but was called for holding because their lineman could not block the Morrilton defender because he was much faster. Second, Morrilton's quarterback is any defensive coordinators worst nightmare being a dual threat. Imagine if the Razorbacks had one to compliment their running backs. Batesville chose to stop the run and at times, they had 9 men in the box. Morrilton was still having sucess. It also left their corners on an island one on one which as you all witnessed, it turned out bad for Batesville. I guess someone forgot to remind them that the Hawkins kid can throw just as good as he runs. And about the officials, they do sometimes hold vendettas against teams and coaches. It may have been from the past where a coach hammered them on the sidelines or possibly they were banned from officiating a game by a coach in the past because they were awful. And can we finally drop the Alma beat Morrilton so Alma is the better team discussion. LSU beat Auburn, Alabama beat LSU, Auburn beat Alabama, but who is playing for the National Championship? Both teams played hard and left it all on the field. One of the best championship games I have seen. And Batesville's kicker needs to hold his head high. I have a feeling that his football career is not done. I would have him on my team any day!

cheap seats

Almahasbeen

PercussionMan

December 17, 2013, 04:11:56 pm #170 Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 04:16:56 pm by PercussionMan
I think Devil Dog 17 was just tired of hearing all of the smack talk from Batesville fans...C-Mac 73 in particular.  He was kind of like Hoghead was about the Hope game.  Some people just never gave Morrilton much of a chance after the first round game against Nettleton...except for the Morrilton fans, of course.  We all knew what kind of team we had...we knew we had a complete TEAM that plays as a TEAM with a lot of heart.  And, it just so happened that the Devil Dogs had to K.O. three number one seeds en route to the 5A State Championship.  So, there are several non-believers out there who have gotten to feast on some good ole fashion crow!

GO DEVIL DOGS GO!!!!

MDXPHD

Quote from: PercussionMan on December 17, 2013, 04:11:56 pm
I think Devil Dog 17 was just tired of hearing all of the smack talk from Batesville fans...C-Mac 73 in particular.  He was kind of like Hoghead was about the Hope game.  Some people just never gave Morrilton much of a chance after the first round game against Nettleton...except for the Morrilton fans, of course.  We all knew what kind of team we had...we knew we had a complete TEAM that plays as a TEAM with a lot of heart.  And, it just so happened that the Devil Dogs had to K.O. three number one seeds en route to the 5A State Championship.  So, there are several non-believers out there who have gotten to feast on some good ole fashion crow!

GO DEVIL DOGS GO!!!!

I agree that they didn't give Morrilton credit until after the championship, but of course C-Mac is going to go for the Pioneers and talk trash in favor of them.  Just like everyone does with their team.  Nobody needs to get their feelings hurt and call kids that tried extremely hard "losers".  Believe it or not, the kids do get on these boards.  Hopefully Devil Dog 17 is a child and not an adult.

C-Mac 73

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 17, 2013, 04:32:07 pm

GO DEVIL DOGS GO!!!!

I agree that they didn't give Morrilton credit until after the championship, but of course C-Mac is going to go for the Pioneers and talk trash in favor of them.  Just like everyone does with their team.  Nobody needs to get their feelings hurt and call kids that tried extremely hard "losers".  Believe it or not, the kids do get on these boards.  Hopefully Devil Dog 17 is a child and not an adult.
Well said MDXPHD. There is a fine line between trash talking and having fun and calling players of the other team three-time losers. I understand though. He may have let his emotions get the best of him, just as I have done before. Judging from his posts, he is likely a player. That's ok with me. It's more fun when you're a player and you get to shut the other team up. And technically he is right. We are now three-time losers of the title game. We've gotten the Buffalo Bills comparison. But that doesn't make the players losers. They may have lost a game, but they are winners in the sense of what they will take from the game. At the end of the day, when you look back, you don't miss the wins and losses. You miss the brotherhood. One game, or three for that matter, doesn't define a person as a loser. It just defines what happened on the field.

Devil Dog 17

Ok, the loser comment was unfair. I've regretted it since I posted it. The game had just concluded, and several pioneer posters had been on my Dogs pretty hard. -1 on me and let's go on. I watched the game again for the forth time and noticed both teams helping players from the opposite team to their feet. Great sportsmanship on both teams. I guess we can learn a lot from the kids.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: C-Mac 73 on December 17, 2013, 05:34:04 pm
Quote from: MDXPHD on December 17, 2013, 04:32:07 pm

GO DEVIL DOGS GO!!!!

Well said MDXPHD. There is a fine line between trash talking and having fun and calling players of the other team three-time losers. I understand though. He may have let his emotions get the best of him, just as I have done before. Judging from his posts, he is likely a player. That's ok with me. It's more fun when you're a player and you get to shut the other team up. And technically he is right. We are now three-time losers of the title game. We've gotten the Buffalo Bills comparison. But that doesn't make the players losers. They may have lost a game, but they are winners in the sense of what they will take from the game. At the end of the day, when you look back, you don't miss the wins and losses. You miss the brotherhood. One game, or three for that matter, doesn't define a person as a loser. It just defines what happened on the field.

C-Mac, welcome to the Buffalo Bill club.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas