• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 5A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP! BATESVILLE VS. MORRILTON

Started by WashedUpPioneer, November 29, 2013, 09:36:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Mac 73

Quote from: the voice on December 04, 2013, 08:02:35 am
Quote from: C-Mac 73 on December 03, 2013, 01:56:24 pm
I was privileged to see some film of Morrilton this week, and that quarterback is a nightmare. Although, I'm pretty confident we will have a gameplan for him. Something else stood out to me about this game. Morrilton's offense has been lethal putting up 50ish points per game numbers throughout the year. However, against two relevant defenses from Alma and Hope, the Devil Dogs scored only 14 and 24. That makes me feel good. If Batesville can contain the offense from Morrilton, we will be fine. It could be a low scoring game if Morrilton's defense plays well. I'm thinking something along the lines of Batesville 41-31.
I have watched several of Batesvilles games as well. You point out things just like other teams have done, you think you will score 41 well above your average and call it a low scoring game?
I expect a lower scoring game than you predict, I expect it close , less than ten point difference. You keep thinking Alma held the dogs to 14, six turn overs, 4 unforced did Morrilton in that night, not taking anything from Alma they won the game. Keep thinking Morrilton is one dimensional , keep thinking their defense is gonna lay down and give you 41 points. I would believe it would be like last time we played Bateville on their own field than your pick.
My pick is hard fought tight game where turnovers are gonna be the difference. The weather may have a big part.
I said it COULD be low scoring, never said it WILL. And if you really think Morrilton winning 31-8 is more realistic than my pick, you are going to be in for quite the surprise.

the voice

You wrote 41-31 as your pick, Im saying before I believe that I would believe it would be like last time. Personally I dont think it will, I think score will be similar to last weeks games for both teams. I wont be surprised by the game . I have a good idea of what to expect.

turftime

Morrilton has some great talent but Batesville has great kicker and overall better team. Batesville wins 31----21

the voice

Morrilton has a very good kicker also, although few know this as they havent had to use him often.

MDXPHD

Everyone seems to be picking Batesville. I think most people are doing that because Alma beat Morrilton, which is fine if you don't know anything about sports. If the game is played this Saturday, Morrilton will win. If the weather gives Batesville another week to get healthy and for their defensive coordinator to scheme, it's a whole different ballgame. 

the voice

We are used to being underdogs, heck we aren't supposed to here this week. The dogs were supposed to get beat by PA. I expect a good hard hitting ball game. Both teams are capable of winning.

pantherblue

Copied this from the other thread where I posted before this one was up...

Would like to see Morrilton win after beating Hope-Less but I picked Batesville at the first of the year and I will stick with that pick in a close one...

Morrilton 27
Batesville 30

the voice

No game this week, AAA just postponed until next saturday

PercussionMan

DB

Most everybody that tries to predict the outcome of this game has a bias.  And that's okay.  Every fan can come up with a reason that their team should win.  Sometimes we work our way down to "our team has the most heart."  I think there are times that one team has more to play for than the other team and will just out effort the other team.  It is totally asinine to make that assertion for this game.  Both teams will put all they have on the field. 

What I prefer to look at in games is each team's ability to score versus their ability to keep their opponent from scoring.  Certainly, I understand that is fairly elementary.  It's also a bit profound.  Some teams have such a strong defense that they develop a mentality that offense that important.  And of course, we all know that these days, a lot of teams focus on offense and don't worry too much about defense. 

So I start out looking at the last six weeks.  The first six weeks, IMO, are irrelevant at this point.  Over the last six weeks, Batesville has scored an average of 38 points per game and has given up an average of 14 points per game.  Batesville is scoring 5.4 times per game and giving up 2 scores per game for a difference of 3.4 scores per game.

Morrilton on the other hand, for the last six games has averaged 47 points per game and given up 24 points per game.  The Devil Dogs are scoring 6.7 times per game and giving up 3.4 scores for a difference of 3.3 scores per game.

What all of that really means is.....These are two very evenly matched teams.  As arrogant as Dave King is, he is a very good coach.  He has had the luxury of playing two similar teams over the last two Fridays.  Cody McNabb on the other hand, has had to game plan for two radically different teams.  And I think that is significant. 

Just like any other championship game, even though game planning will be a factor, this game will come down to special teams, turnovers, penalties and mistakes.  With this being Batesville's third try in as many years, I don't think Morrilton can count on the Pioneers making mistakes or turnovers to get a win.  They're probably not a penalty prone team either or they wouldn't be here.  Batesville on the other hand, probably can hope that the Devil Dogs will make some mistakes and turnovers.  If Batesville is going to outplay Morrilton on special teams, then hats off to them because Morrilton has very good special team play. 

McNabb can't make a major mistake.  He can't call for a fake punt with 4th and 8 on the Morrilton side of the field.  Or an onside kick in the middle of the game.  King has to hope that the Batesville arrogance will work this time.  Unlike it did in 2005.  There is no possibility of leaving the arrogance in Batesville.  He must carry it with him and hope that the Devil Dogs don't stuff it back in his face this time.     

pirt

well all I can say is we will see yall neers in da rock next Saturday.. and stopping Hawkins isn't gonna help yall... Morrilton has to many weapons.. I dare yall to kick it to reese on any kick off.. it will be close, BUT Morrilton will win 28-24

MDXPHD

Quote from: pirt on December 05, 2013, 02:25:49 am
well all I can say is we will see yall neers in da rock next Saturday.. and stopping Hawkins isn't gonna help yall... Morrilton has to many weapons.. I dare yall to kick it to reese on any kick off.. it will be close, BUT Morrilton will win 28-24

I think that stopping Hawkins would help Batesville a lot, and everyone but yourself would agree I guess.

Intelligentsia

December 05, 2013, 09:33:26 am #63 Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 10:18:43 am by Intelligentsia
DB, I agree with some of your post, especially the idea that turnovers will be a major factor.  I do not think that you can go back 6 games, however, to make any analysis.  The Pioneers mercy ruled the final three regular season opponents as well as Greenbriar and could easily have put up 50+ points, but that is not King's MO.  He pulls the starters and keeps the ball in the ground when the clock starts running. If Morrilton does the same, the most you can say is that their 2nd string is stronger.  Recalculate using the last two games for a more accurate picture. 

You also don't directly mention play at the line of scrimmage, which will be key in this game.  Yes, the DD QB is very good, but if his line does not control, he will be in for a long night.  I did not see the game, but I will venture that in the second half at Hope, the Hope D+line put more pressure on the QB. 

Finally, as someone who has spent a lot if time around the Pioneers over the last 10 years, I really don't get the fascination with King's purported arrogance.  Is it the way he carries himself, what he says, or the fact that his teams have been successful?  Is it his confidence that the system of hard work his players endure is sound; his confidence in his assistant coaches; his belief in old school football; or simply jealousy over the fact that he wins a lot?  I understand our societal bias against continually success; my own animus toward P.A. and Greenwood being prime examples:). Coach King is a fine, kind man who treats his players with respect.   If he comes off confident, it appears to me that it is a confidence in his system, his assistants, and his players.

DB

PercussionMan

C-Mac 73

Top 5 dumbest posts I've ever read.

Mr_Deb

C-Mac 73

By the way... How is King arrogant? I always saw him as the complete opposite. But I played for him. Maybe an outsider could see him differently. I can tell you that Coach King cares genuinely about his players. He always had a special interest with me and other linemen in what he called the "fat boy club." He walked miles with us after practice. Using his time and energy. That should speak to his character. I hated it then, but I appreciate it now.

MDXPHD

This week has been too quiet.  Batesville, Hope, Alma, and CF put together a lot of good reading material on here.  I wish Hope was still in it so HH would get you all going.  This has been boring.  Talk trash to each other or something!

DogsWin7

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 13, 2013, 01:36:51 pm
This week has been too quiet.  Batesville, Hope, Alma, and CF put together a lot of good reading material on here.  I wish Hope was still in it so HH would get you all going.  This has been boring.  Talk trash to each other or something!

You're gonna read this post and like it!  LOL!!!   :)

They all must be drinking eggnog  ;)

DB

My current opinion:  Morrilton should go into this with every intention of making it a score fest. I don't think Morrilton can win a low scoring with Batesville and I don't think Batesville can win a high scoring game with Morrilton.

C-Mac 73

I don't think Morrilton has a snowball's chance in Mexico.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: C-Mac 73 on December 13, 2013, 10:23:46 pm
[/qu]

Will I see you at the game C-Mac? 

sigtau5

Morrilton in a close one! Two best teams in 5a its going to be a great game.

browning_gold_12

Tried to get Mrs.BG to drop me off at the stadium and let me watch the game while she did the Christmas shopping but that was a nogo. Best of luck to both teams. I am sure it's gonna be a thriller!!

DevilPupMom

DevilPupMom

Hey C-Mac. The people in Mexico thank you for the snowballs!!

AT

I was wrong (like usual). Morrilton was best team in state this year! Congrats to Morrilton.

That was a hilarious ending, though.

C-Mac 73

Quote from: DevilPupMom on December 14, 2013, 02:44:26 pm

They should thank the officials too.

bassfool

I don t know what game you were watching but if anyone should be thanking the officals it should ve been batesville.

RawDog1

Quote from: bassfool on December 14, 2013, 05:23:04 pm
I don t know what game you were watching but if anyone should be thanking the officals it should ve been batesville.

100% agreed.  What game did he watch.  The loser always comes up with excuses!

DevilPupMom

Quote from: C-Mac 73 on December 14, 2013, 04:49:14 pm

You obviously need to watch a replay of today's game! Or maybe you just ate too much crow for your evening meal.

C-Mac 73

Quote from: DevilPupMom on December 14, 2013, 09:26:24 pm
Quote from: C-Mac 73 on December 14, 2013, 04:49:14 pm

You obviously need to watch a replay of today's game! Or maybe you just ate too much crow for your evening meal.
Or maybe the game should have gone to overtime when we made that field goal. Either way, congrats to the Morrilton team.

C-Mac 73

Quote from: RawDog1 on December 14, 2013, 06:17:13 pm

I'm the last person you'd ever know to make excuses about officiating. The game was officiated pretty well, but that field goal at the end looked good to me.

PercussionMan

Quote from: RawDog1 on December 14, 2013, 06:17:13 pm

Agreed as well. I have no clue what C-Mac 73 was doing, if he was even watching the game at all. Batesville was kept in the game by the officials to start with.

Intelligentsia

Great game Morrilton, that QB is quite good.  Proud of the Pioneers.  I leave the game analysis up to the FF experts and simply look forward to following the Pioneers next year.  We are going to have fun the next few years watching a very athletic and talented group of rising Sophomores develop and supporting this years juniors as they seek to make another deep run into the playoffs next year.  Go Pioneers!!

4thandgoal

Quote from: DB on December 13, 2013, 07:16:30 pm
My current opinion:  Morrilton should go into this with every intention of making it a score fest. I don't think Morrilton can win a low scoring with Batesville and I don't think Batesville can win a high scoring game with Morrilton.

Well, that's what you get for thinking.

C-Mac 73

Congratulations to Morrilton for the 2013 state championship.

pirt

Quote from: C-Mac 73 on December 05, 2013, 07:13:16 pm
Top 5 dumbest posts I've ever read.
Like I said mo town 5A STATE CHAMPS dats all I gotta say

Devil Dog 17

Props to you!  You almost nailed the score right on the nose!

Doggone

Here is a replay from Morrilton's Community channel

Valleysports

Quote from: DB on November 13, 2012, 11:39:23 am
Quote from: Go Postal on November 12, 2012, 06:15:45 pm
Quote from: DB on November 12, 2012, 03:47:59 pm
Statement game for Chris Hill.  His players and the Wynne fans will make a declaration of how much he means to them this week.  Hill will do everything with class and dignity but you can bet, he wants this one.
Good to see you back DB.  There has not been a lot of Devil Dog posters this season, but I think that there should be.  Morrilton has had a fabulous season so far.  I think that it is time for DDog posters to start letting this board know how they feel about their team.  As, a West poster, I knew that on the start of the year that they were going to make the playoffs.  Keep up the great work Morrilton!  GO DEVIL DOGS!!

I'm a Wynne Yellow Jacket fan these days.  Buzzzz

Valleysports

December 18, 2013, 12:40:21 pm #93 Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 01:45:55 pm by Valleysports
And good riddance!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas