• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 5A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP! BATESVILLE VS. MORRILTON

Started by WashedUpPioneer, November 29, 2013, 09:36:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WashedUpPioneer

Vtowneagle

Hoping Mo-Town pulls this one out! I say a game like the Batesville and Alma game here again. I'll go with
Morrilton- 35
Batesville- 31

InYoGrill

Mtown has a better and quicker strike O then Alma but Alma has a heck of a D. Batesville is solid all the way around plus they have the X factor with a Super kicking game. Pulling for M but I think Neers take the hardware back home.

WashedUpPioneer

I think we can all be thankful that we don't have to hear anything else about that unstoppable team from the South........Hope? Is that them?  ;)

michael2370

Third straight year Batesville is in the final.  Go Pioneers.  I say Batesville by 10

Paw-Paw

pirt

morrilton is the better team point blank.... #dawgpoundgang #501boys #statechamps

pioneerguru

Motown the better team BWAHAHAHAHA ask alma--they are better than ya'll

C-Mac 73

Quote from: pirt on November 30, 2013, 12:36:16 am
morrilton is the better team point blank.... #dawgpoundgang #501boys #statechamps
Ivan or Steve?

Wonderdog

The_Pioneer

playmaker04

first post ever and you say something silly

PercussionMan

the voice

IMO with the scores last night , all 4 teams couldve made it to championship game. Both games were hard fought with momentum swings and hard hits. Im glad Morrilton won. Alma and Hope both proved they could have been there as well. If next weeks game is anything like last nights games it will be a great game. Congrats again to the final four . And another round to the last two. Lets go Devil Dogs !!

PercussionMan

Quote from: the voice on November 30, 2013, 10:30:47 am
IMO with the scores last night , all 4 teams couldve made it to championship game. Both games were hard fought with momentum swings and hard hits. Im glad Morrilton won. Alma and Hope both proved they could have been there as well. If next weeks game is anything like last nights games it will be a great game. Congrats again to the final four . And another round to the last two. Lets go Devil Dogs !!

Agreed!  Just proud of Morrilton and their perseverance this year.  Those guys show a lot of heart and are tough as nails!!

MDXPHD

AT

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 30, 2013, 12:50:49 pm
Quote from: pioneerguru on November 30, 2013, 01:34:58 am

That's not true.

No reason to think differently, really.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Almatrackster on November 30, 2013, 01:00:25 pm

That's not true.

There are plenty of reasons to think differently after seeing the highlights of that game, but it's irrelevant and not for this topic.  Sorry to offend you.

AT

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 30, 2013, 01:06:47 pm

That's not true.

There are plenty of reasons to think differently after seeing the highlights of that game, but it's irrelevant and not for this topic.  Sorry to offend you.

You didn't offend me. I'm just discussing on a message board. I'd like to hear your reasons. Morrilton didn't blow out Hope like you thought they would and Alma didn't get blown out by Batesville like you thought they would.

Also

Alma
beat
Morrilton
at
Morrilton

PercussionMan

Quote from: Almatrackster on November 30, 2013, 01:44:28 pm

That's not true.

You didn't offend me. I'm just discussing on a message board. I'd like to hear your reasons. Morrilton didn't blow out Hope like you thought they would and Alma didn't get blown out by Batesville like you thought they would.

Also

Alma
beat
Morrilton
at
Morrilton

This team beat this team...this team beat that team...yep...and there are two teams left playing for the state championship, and neither one of them hails from Alma. 

AT

Quote from: PercussionMan on November 30, 2013, 02:00:33 pm

That's not true.

Also

Alma
beat
Morrilton
at
Morrilton

This team beat this team...this team beat that team...yep...and there are two teams left playing for the state championship, and neither one of them hails from Alma.

Yes, I know this. But that doesn't mean Morrilton is a better team than Alma. If Morrilton beats Batesville for state or even gives Batesville a good game, I will concede they are.

Alma played for a basketball state championship last year. Clarksville beat Alma twice in the regular season and then Alma made state and lost and Cville lost to the same team in the semis, but not even Alma fans were ready to say Alma was better than Clarksville at the end of the year.

PercussionMan

November 30, 2013, 02:25:55 pm #21 Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 02:38:50 pm by PercussionMan
Quote from: Almatrackster on November 30, 2013, 02:09:08 pm
Quote from: PercussionMan on November 30, 2013, 02:00:33 pm

That's not true.

Also

Alma
beat
Morrilton
at
Morrilton

Yes, I know this. But that doesn't mean Morrilton is a better team than Alma. If Morrilton beats Batesville for state or even gives Batesville a good game, I will concede they are.

Alma played for a basketball state championship last year. Clarksville beat Alma twice in the regular season and then Alma made state and lost and Cville lost to the same team in the semis, but not even Alma fans were ready to say Alma was better than Clarksville at the end of the year.

I understand what you are saying, but understand this...Morrilton and their fans were hoping for an all West showdown/rematch for the state title in Little Rock...trust me...they wanted it badly!!  After the 5-6 turnovers that the Devil Dogs had against Alma (which, based on the rest of the year, is definitely an "off night"), if Alma were "so much better than Morrilton" like a lot of people claim, they would have won by more than 22-14 (yes, I know, as they say, "a win is a win").  If you watched that game at all, you know, as well as anyone else (Morrilton fans, Alma fans, and unbiased fans alike) that ALL of the Morrilton turnovers were NOT FORCED by Alma...and also, ALL of Alma's points were scored on possessions IMMEDIATELY AFTER those turnovers.  I'm not making excuses for Morrilton...I'm not bitter about that loss...that was Week 5...this is Week 14 that we are headed into.  Morrilton wanted that opportunity again to prove that Alma is not so much better like a lot of people like to think.  Alma struggled at times during the remainder of the West Conference schedule (as I have been told and have read posts by unbiased fans)...and Morrilton did not.  They pretty much dominated, winning by an average of 33 points per game.  I say that because so many people want to compare this team and that team and this win and that win, which really doesn't matter. 

Does any of that really matter or make a valid argument for "comparison" between Alma and Morrilton? Probably not.  Alma beat Morrilton at Morrilton...Batesville just beat Alma at Alma.  Some people that really enjoy the comparison game would say what they said after Alma beat Morrilton..."Oh, Batesville is a lot better than Alma!" or "The East is so much better than the West!" (even though it was a only a 3-point win...but a win is a win, right?). 

I haven't really said a whole lot during the playoffs, because Morrilton has been known in the past, more often than not, to shoot themselves in the foot during important games.  But, I will say this...Morrilton AND Batesville are both playing really, really good football right now...and Alma...well, they are headed to the basketball courts!  Morrilton does not get much respect, even when they do win when they are not predicted to.  I suppose if they beat Batesville for the state championship next weekend, it'll just be "a fluke"...or it will be considered a "down year in 5A"...there will be excuses. 

I will just close by saying, "GO DEVIL DOGS!!!!"

MDXPHD

That's not true.

Also

Alma
beat
Morrilton
at
Morrilton

We can discuss in another thread, not this one. 

the voice

It was the semi finals, and this is the state championship, there most likely isnt a team left that will get blowed out, sure we all remember those games this year, but its the time of year where those playing are worthy of it. Yeah Id like to see morrilton beat batesville like the last time we played them but I know its prolly not going to happen. I expect a close game where like those last night , will have swings of momentum and highs and lows for both teams.

Also IMO to anyone who says the 5a is down , I disagree, close games like those last night are what should happen , when one team walks over every team they play then Id say it down , or one team is just that much better. Although when one team is that good I cant say the league or level would be up, because of one team. If you look at all scores from last night in all divisions there were mostly close games except for the smaller schools that arent as deep in playoffs . Its a great time of year to be playing. The two teams left have caught breaks just as the other two did last night . Should be a great game.

Intelligentsia

Your teams success is based on how you FINISH the season, not a result of an earlier contest or some comparison of how two teams match up.  Will a Pioneer victory of 20 points Saturday prove that Alma is better than Morrilton?  No, it will just mean that the match up was favorable to Batesville.  Will a DD blow out mean that Morrilton is far superior to Alma, no, it will just indicate that they were better than Batesville in the final game, which is all that matters.  It's how you finish.  I can tell you, the Pioneer team that beat Nettleton in an ugly game early in the season would have been blown out by Alma - we have improved and we will now FINISH no worse than number 2.  The previous games don't matter.  The top TWO teams in the state will play Saturday; as history will indicate.

MoTownDog

Quote from: Intelligentsia on November 30, 2013, 04:49:07 pm
Your teams success is based on how you FINISH the season, not a result of an earlier contest or some comparison of how two teams match up.  Will a Pioneer victory of 20 points Saturday prove that Alma is better than Morrilton?  No, it will just mean that the match up was favorable to Batesville.  Will a DD blow out mean that Morrilton is far superior to Alma, no, it will just indicate that they were better than Batesville in the final game, which is all that matters.  It's how you finish.  I can tell you, the Pioneer team that beat Nettleton in an ugly game early in the season would have been blown out by Alma - we have improved and we will now FINISH no worse than number 2.  The previous games don't matter.  The top TWO teams in the state will play Saturday; as history will indicate.

Well said.

AT

Your teams success is based on how you FINISH the season, not a result of an earlier contest or some comparison of how two teams match up. 

No, not true. We award conference championships based off what you do early in the season and seedings in the playoffs also reflect how we do in all of conference.

Will a Pioneer victory of 20 points Saturday prove that Alma is better than Morrilton?  No,

No an eight point Alma victory over Morrilton at Morrilton proved this.

The top TWO teams in the state will play Saturday; as history will indicate.

I don't even know what this means. As history will indicate? Alma has had this situation before actually. In 2004, Alma lost to Wynne in the semifinals and had beat Greenwood at the end of the regular season for the conference championship. But Greenwood got a shot at Wynne in the state finals. Same situation as this. Except Alma beat Greenwood at the end of the regular season and not the beginning of it.

I referenced the basketball state championship with Alma and Jacksonville last year. I'm sure there are many circumstances like this not involving Alma.

All we know is that a bracket is set up at the beginning of the year and certain teams have to meet at a certain point. Conference champions must meet at the semifinal stage and those champions may be the two best teams.

That's all my points, I can't make them any clearer, so I'll be done now.

AT

Perhaps I'm venting too many of my frustrations over a good group of Airedales losing Friday night in a tough one.

I think this will be a good game between two very good teams. I think Morrilton could have success throwing the ball. Blitzing Hawkins is a very delicate process, so Batesville has to be careful with that. Running the ball will be interesting too. Morrilton is about the size of Alma, but has more speed on the defensive line.

Alma's offense at this point in the season is, strangely enough, as balanced at Morrilton's. Morrilton has a more explosive offense, in that they can score from anywhere at any time.

I say Batesville draws up a good game plan to contain Hawkins and wins by 10.

johnharrison

Parking for War Memorial

First let me tell you they almost always have plenty of parking in the WM parking lot for a reasonable fee and there is some on street parking that is  free, though a little further away with even less security.  If that works for you, read no further.

However - If a group wants to have a parking lot where they can reserve and park ten or more cars together for tailgating or fellowship and having a guaranteed place to meet then PM me.  The lot is across Markham, but is as close to the West stands as most of the east parking lot.

Intelligentsia

December 01, 2013, 12:07:15 am #29 Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 12:28:30 am by Intelligentsia
Quote from: Almatrackster on November 30, 2013, 10:48:13 pm
Your teams success is based on how you FINISH the season, not a result of an earlier contest or some comparison of how two teams match up. 

Almatracker:  No, not true. We award conference championships based off what you do early in the season and seedings in the playoffs also reflect how we do in all of conference.

My response:
Exactly my point!!  How did Alma finish their season??  As conference champs, as a semifinalst in the state - a season of which the Alma faithful should take pride.  But it's over and there should be no claim to anything more regardless of the outcome of the championship game.  All previous games for either team are moot.  One team will be the champion the other will be second place, period. 

The top TWO teams in the state will play Saturday; as history will indicate.

Alma tracker:  I don't even know what this means. As history will indicate?

My response:
In 20 years two 12 year old boys are going to walk up to an old trophy case at Batesville and they will see a runner trophy from 2012 and one will say, "look, the Pioneers were the second best team in the state in 2012.". There won't be a discussion about how they were an average early in the season, how they were skunked by Springdale, or how the brackets were drawn up.  History will indicate by the trophy and the record books that when the 2012 season was over, Batesville was the second best team in the state - period.

Aatracker: That's all my points, I can't make them any clearer, so I'll be done now.

My response:  I am not slighting Alma.  I have indicated my respect for the players and the fans and indicated that they should have success I'm their move to 6-A, but their season is over and the top two teams in the state will play next Saturday.

This is my opinion and I'm sure that many will not agree and I respect that.  Thank goodness we have different opinions, if not FF would be quite the boar:)

Smithian

What time slot is this game going to be? Really want to see this one.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Smithian on December 01, 2013, 09:07:15 am

Noon Saturday.  Your welcome to sit on the home team side and cheer for the pioneers:)

searcy12

Intelligentsia

No prediction from me on this one.  May both teams play to their potential with no game ending injuries.  Leave it on the field with no regrets and let the best team win.  Now if chance would have that funny shaped ball take a favorable Pioneer bounce, that would be just fine with me.  Cheer loud senior parents - for most this will be your last chance to cheer your boy on in a football stadium where you can scream as loud as possible and not embarrass yourself:)

Smithian

Quote from: Intelligentsia on December 01, 2013, 09:09:53 am
Quote from: Smithian on December 01, 2013, 09:07:15 am

Noon Saturday.  Your welcome to sit on the home team side and cheer for the pioneers:)
May have to.

This is a bit scary for a high school mascot.

WashedUpPioneer

After watching a little on Morrilton, this could be an interesting matchup. Though Batesville has played defense beyond expectation game in and game out throughout the year, the past 2 weeks have shown that they can give up the big play. The Morrilton quarterback has "BIG PLAY" potential ever single time the ball is snapped. Rodriguez (3) from Batesville, i feel certain will be spying him all night. The difference for the Pioneers in this game will be turnovers. Batesville will have to hold possession of the ball, ending the drives with points. On defense, i think the game plan will be a lot similar to Fairview, in no way can you stop that kind of speed or athleticism, you simply have to contain it. I feel like there will be several points scored in this game. The more I have watched, I have to eat the crow from saying I felt that Alma and Batesville were at the top of the 5A. I know, I know, Alma beat Morrilton. But the term, peaking at the perfect time directly defines the Devil Dogs, they are playing top notch football right now. This group of seniors have been here before, only to have their hearts ripped out their sophomore and junior years. The bright lights wont bother them. Will Morrilton be able to come in and play through adversity on the states biggest stage? As we all know "ONLY TIME WILL TELL". Looking forward to an awesome High School football atmosphere, and a great game saturday!
Go Pioneers!

Batesville 38
Morrilton 35

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: C-Mac 73 on November 30, 2013, 05:16:19 am
Ivan or Steve?

Not this time.

Although if Vilonia had made the finals, "ViloniaEaglestoWMS" would have to make an appearance for old times' sake.

Go Postal

CIA

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on December 02, 2013, 04:56:52 am
Quote from: C-Mac 73 on November 30, 2013, 05:16:19 am
Ivan or Steve?

Not this time.

Although if Vilonia had made the finals, "ViloniaEaglestoWMS" would have to make an appearance for old times' sake.
+1 just for reminding me of that "poster"

wing

Quote from: Almatrackster on November 30, 2013, 11:05:26 pm
Perhaps I'm venting too many of my frustrations over a good group of Airedales losing Friday night in a tough one.

I think this will be a good game between two very good teams. I think Morrilton could have success throwing the ball. Blitzing Hawkins is a very delicate process, so Batesville has to be careful with that. Running the ball will be interesting too. Morrilton is about the size of Alma, but has more speed on the defensive line.

Alma's offense at this point in the season is, strangely enough, as balanced at Morrilton's. Morrilton has a more explosive offense, in that they can score from anywhere at any time.

Key to the game right there. I haven't seen them play, but from what I hear, you stop their QB and you stop Morrilton.

Lions84

Since I am from Eastern Arkansas I am pulling for Batesville to bring that State Title home.

Overdahill

Quote from: wing on December 02, 2013, 09:22:39 am
Quote from: Almatrackster on November 30, 2013, 11:05:26 pm

Key to the game right there. I haven't seen them play, but from what I hear, you stop their QB and you stop Morrilton.

Hope must of figured something out for the 2nd half last week

MDXPHD

He may have been tired from dominating them in the first half.

Devil Dog 17

Quote from: The_Pioneer on November 30, 2013, 06:15:07 am
I know, let's have a spelling contest!

Why a spelling contest. Are you saying the Morrilton boys can't spell?

MDXPHD

Quote from: Devil Dog 17 on December 03, 2013, 11:48:42 am
Quote from: The_Pioneer on November 30, 2013, 06:15:07 am
I know, let's have a spelling contest!

Why a spelling contest. Are you saying the Morrilton boys can't spell?

Just the town as a whole.

C-Mac 73

I was privileged to see some film of Morrilton this week, and that quarterback is a nightmare. Although, I'm pretty confident we will have a gameplan for him. Something else stood out to me about this game. Morrilton's offense has been lethal putting up 50ish points per game numbers throughout the year. However, against two relevant defenses from Alma and Hope, the Devil Dogs scored only 14 and 24. That makes me feel good. If Batesville can contain the offense from Morrilton, we will be fine. It could be a low scoring game if Morrilton's defense plays well. I'm thinking something along the lines of Batesville 41-31.

Intelligentsia

Loving the latest National Weather Service forecast for Little Rock Saturday!!  31` with a 40% chance of freezing rain, 15 mph sustained winds and gusts to be 30:).  Fine football weather.

the voice

Quote from: C-Mac 73 on December 03, 2013, 01:56:24 pm
I was privileged to see some film of Morrilton this week, and that quarterback is a nightmare. Although, I'm pretty confident we will have a gameplan for him. Something else stood out to me about this game. Morrilton's offense has been lethal putting up 50ish points per game numbers throughout the year. However, against two relevant defenses from Alma and Hope, the Devil Dogs scored only 14 and 24. That makes me feel good. If Batesville can contain the offense from Morrilton, we will be fine. It could be a low scoring game if Morrilton's defense plays well. I'm thinking something along the lines of Batesville 41-31.
I have watched several of Batesvilles games as well. You point out things just like other teams have done, you think you will score 41 well above your average and call it a low scoring game?
I expect a lower scoring game than you predict, I expect it close , less than ten point difference. You keep thinking Alma held the dogs to 14, six turn overs, 4 unforced did Morrilton in that night, not taking anything from Alma they won the game. Keep thinking Morrilton is one dimensional , keep thinking their defense is gonna lay down and give you 41 points. I would believe it would be like last time we played Bateville on their own field than your pick.
My pick is hard fought tight game where turnovers are gonna be the difference. The weather may have a big part.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: the voice on December 04, 2013, 08:02:35 am

I have watched several of Brazzaville's games as well. You point out things just like other teams have done, you think you will score 41 well above your average and call it a low scoring game?
I expect a lower scoring game than you predict, I expect it close , less than ten point difference. You keep thinking Alma held the dogs to 14, six turn overs, 4 unforced did Morrilton in that night, not taking anything from Alma they won the game. Keep thinking Morrilton is one dimensional , keep thinking their defense is gonna lay down and give you 41 points. I would believe it would be like last time we played Bateville on their own field than your pick.
My pick is hard fought tight game where turnovers are gonna be the difWence. The weather may have a big part.

41, well above our average?  Coach King could have ran the score up for in half+ of our game's, but once the clock starts at 35-0 or 42-7 he rightfully pulls the starters.  As far as turnovers, we had our share (4) with CF and still managed 26 points against a pretty fair little ball team:). I do agree with you, however, on the score.  As I said on another thread that the first team to 36 wins.

wing

Quote from: Intelligentsia on December 04, 2013, 09:31:19 am
Quote from: the voice on December 04, 2013, 08:02:35 am

I have watched several of Brazzaville's games as well. You point out things just like other teams have done, you think you will score 41 well above your average and call it a low scoring game?
My pick is hard fought tight game where turnovers are gonna be the difWence. The weather may have a big part.

41, well above our average?  Coach King could have ran the score up for in half+ of our game's, but once the clock starts at 35-0 or 42-7 he rightfully pulls the starters.  As far as turnovers, we had our share (4) with CF and still managed 26 points against a pretty fair little ball team:). I do agree with you, however, on the score.  As I said on another thread that the first team to 36 wins.

Have no dog in this fight as we were sent home by the Pioneers, but I think it will be a 30-28 win for Batesville. I think Hawkins will account for all four Morrilton TD's, but Batesville's kicker will kick three FG's and will edge Hawkins for MVP honors. Should be a great game.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas