• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pine Bluff @ Greenwood

Started by Pr8hd, November 23, 2013, 07:43:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pr8hd

Might as well get this started early since we have some posters now to chat about football from both schools represented on here...this is the one many thought would take place in WMS at the Rock. Let's hear the thoughts on this one.

I thought the Z's took care of business last night against a Siloam Springs team, despite their record, some thought might play them a little closer. I was not surprised though that they dominated them. Bulldogs not much really to say, they have beat Parkview now a combined 87-0 in the 2 games this year. Really, should have been playing Texarkana last night but that is another story.

PB will likely be bigger & faster...same as last year, but a younger variety. The question in my mind for this one all boils down to execution in turnovers? 

Dogs78

November 23, 2013, 07:48:07 am #1 Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 08:01:58 am by Dogs78
Looking forward to the halftime show this coming Friday. I'm pretty sure that's about all the excitement that the Zebras will bringing with them. GW has seen bigger and faster many times ( at least 5 times in the last 50 games). I don't see this one turning out any different. GW wins 42-17 and gets a trip back to the rock for a 4th straight year.  ;D

Pr8hd

November 23, 2013, 08:05:46 am #2 Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 08:13:16 am by Pr8hd
Quote from: Dogs78 on November 23, 2013, 07:48:07 am
Looking forward to the halftime show this coming Friday. I'm pretty sure that about all the excitement that the Zebras will bringing with them. GW has seen bigger and faster many, many times ( at least 5 times in the last 50 games). I don't see this one turning out any different. GW wins 42-17 and gets a trip back to the rock for a 4th straight year.  ;D

I don't see the margin being that great. I think we will see more than just a band and I know the coaches and players know they have to do what they do/ cannot overlook.. This is a dangerous PB team and anyone that is too overconfident is likely mistaken. Our D has been good all year, but at times they have had some speedy receivers get behind them. The difference is most teams have not been able to get the ball there. Conway was behind us a lot, their young QB who had a gun for an arm just missed putting some touch on the ball or else they would have gotten some homeruns.  If you can go vertical, you will loosen up things up front.

My take is...We have got to establish the run early, use the tunnel screen and hitches effectively. Then, gash them with a slant our two. Our drives need to be effective and efficient, not control the clock necessairly but limit the possessions some to PB. Make them pay for their mistakes or misfires on offense. Win the kicking game and special teams. Pretty much the same recipe the last 50 games.

Personally, I really wanted to see PB and ED on the same side of the bracket and us draw LH on this side. Not scared, worried for sure.... but I'm always cautiously optimistic.

A lot on the line Friday for both but especially the Bulldogs. First and foremost, a return trip to LR to play for a title for a chance to play for a 4-Peat. The streak is at 50, 51 is the magic number to tie, of all teams, Pine Bluff Dollarway for second all time in Arkansas. I find this ironic, since a different team, it is a team from the same city. The streak becomes more significant now than ever simply because if you lose now , you go home and the streak is broken. I could have handled a loss during regular season and still gone on. It's just a regular season loss and you move on because the most important part of the season and goals is still out there to get. The streak has to be protected now and of concern more than ever simply because of what is on the line if you lose at this stage in the seaon. This is a rematch of last year's championship game. A game which saw PB jump out by 2 scores early on and really could have gone either way. PB has a tradition, so do we. They want a trip back to LR to cap off a title they have been close on last few years and chance at a rematch to avenge a loss to ED. It ought to be an excellent game.     

Coach Venny Slocombe

I have to admit that PB surprised me last night. I am re-thinking this one. I say GW wins but it will be closer than most expect. I would like to hear from ZD as to what the strengths and weaknesses of PB are. Greenwood has some weakness I think with their run defense and youth at certain positions...

SportsManiac

It will be a close one, but I'm gonna take the Bulldogs and Coach Jones by 3..

zebradynasty

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 23, 2013, 10:56:07 am
I have to admit that PB surprised me last night. I am re-thinking this one. I say GW wins but it will be closer than most expect. I would like to hear from ZD as to what the strengths and weaknesses of PB are. Greenwood has some weakness I think with their run defense and youth at certain positions...

I've been puzzled as to the number of people that have overlooked PB. I understand we lost a few games we should not have. But a team this young...to go undefeated would have been a huge task. The secondary and linebackers are all first year starters. Same for WR's and QB basically we had a couple of lineman, TE and a backup RB is all that returned from last years runner-up. So I knew we would be a little shaky at times. However, this group has more talent than last year. I don't mind saying that I don't think there is a more talented team in 6A. Now they played 12 games...with that experience things should be clicking for them now.

Against GW.. PB will do what they do and try to control the line of scrimmage behind a large athletic OL. I think we can run the ball and our offense is balanced enough that we can throw the ball. It's been encouraging that over the last several games we are using our TE better. We do have weapons outside that can stretch the field as we like the vertical pass game. Defense...frankly is my concern young LB's and DB's. Those tunnel and bubble screens concern me. If we get to guessing run or pass and allow GW to run the ball effectively we will be in trouble. Our secondary doesn't have the head hunters of last year but GW offense really calls for a secondary playing under control.

I would be surprised IF PB lost that it would by a large margin. We are ahead of schedule and it will take our best game of year to go on the road and defeat a team like GW. But PB has just as good and even better shot than most of teams GW has played this year so it would be a mistake to count us out!

Earl is my Hero!!

Quote from: zebradynasty on November 23, 2013, 12:37:55 pm
I've been puzzled as to the number of people that have overlooked PB. I understand we lost a few games we should not have. But a team this young...to go undefeated would have been a huge task. The secondary and linebackers are all first year starters. Same for WR's and QB basically we had a couple of lineman, TE and a backup RB is all that returned from last years runner-up. So I knew we would be a little shaky at times. However, this group has more talent than last year. I don't mind saying that I don't think there is a more talented team in 6A. Now they played 12 games...with that experience things should be clicking for them now.

Against GW.. PB will do what they do and try to control the line of scrimmage behind a large athletic OL. I think we can run the ball and our offense is balanced enough that we can throw the ball. It's been encouraging that over the last several games we are using our TE better. We do have weapons outside that can stretch the field as we like the vertical pass game. Defense...frankly is my concern young LB's and DB's. Those tunnel and bubble screens concern me. If we get to guessing run or pass and allow GW to run the ball effectively we will be in trouble. Our secondary doesn't have the head hunters of last year but GW offense really calls for a secondary playing under control.

I would be surprised IF PB lost that it would by a large margin. We are ahead of schedule and it will take our best game of year to go on the road and defeat a team like GW. But PB has just as good and even better shot than most of teams GW has played this year so it would be a mistake to count us out!

See, you can be a rational being when you apply yourself. We just need to lighten those blue tinted glasses you wear...

CJ7

This game worries me. With the overall team speed that PB has, it's obvious their receivers can get behind Greenwoods secondary. If the PB QB can hit his targets this game could surprise the Bulldog faithful. I'm very excited to watch a true contest for the first time this post season. That being said, I've learned not to bet against the Bulldogs. They always seem to find a way to win. Dad gum!!!! I cannot wait to watch this rematch. It should be a great game. Good luck to both teams

DogsWin7

November 24, 2013, 08:30:29 am #8 Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 08:40:02 am by DiehardFBfan
Where are all the PB posters??      I know ZD is a little worried.

Greenwood wins in a good game.

Lanny

No contest, Greenwood plays name that score

gatecrasher

I don't think it will be near the great game that we saw last year in WMS.

Greenwood by 17. See you in the Rock. My boys will be there waiting.

catfish1

GREENWOOD in a close 1 35 to 13

scrapper native

Gwood wins big..... not even close!

TRUTH

Running clock will in effect for the 2nd half. Great season PB

The Zebra Successor

Beware of them young studs of PB. They are big, physical and fast. I believe the team that wins this game is the state champs of 6A. This match up reminds me of ALA vs Lsu. GW is ALA because of their discipline and attention to detail and the Z's is Lsu because of the team speed and their physical play. .I think that my good friend of BB will have them youngsters ready mentally.I predict that the state will see the Arkansas HS FB version of Cam Newton playing QB for the Z's and he will have his coming out party for the state to see like Vince young did vs Mich in the 05 Rose Bowl. . I predict that the score will be 35-38 PB wins from a last second fg from the best kicker in the state. Who also plays for PB as well. .One more thing maybe the experts were right. The preseason ranked#1 team Will probably be the best team at the end of the season. #Arkansas hs football team The Pine Bluff Zebras. . How about it..

Pr8hd

I just don't see things being a blowout or a mercy rule, I guess I am just a pessimist or not drinking enough kool aid. My gut tells me it will be decided between 7-10 points. Don't get me wrong I would love to be on the winning end of a big margin to get to the finals , but don't see it happening as clearly as some other prognosticators have predicted here.

Texarkana_Piggie

wouldn't mind seeing this one in person, but that ain't happening. 

Lionheart88

the_kosher_pig

Pine Bluff wins this one 35 to 31.  GW hasn't seen a team as physical at the POA.  The closest is Conway and GW was pushed around a bit there.  As long as PB doesn't turn the ball over PB pulls the upset. :) 

zebrafan

I worry about our secondary, Benton exposed that.

zebradynasty

Quote from: zebrafan on November 24, 2013, 04:29:20 pm
I worry about our secondary, Benton exposed that.

Yes and I hope that experience helps. Last year GW WR's gave us fits. I don't think GW's WR's are as good as last years...but still good. I don't think our secondary is as good which considering the problems we had in the secondary against GW...might be a good thing.

Interesting match up because I don't think GW plays teams that do exactly what we do and we don't play teams that do exactly what we do. Not sure why the blowout predictions. PB is exactly the type of team that can beat GW.

gatecrasher

Not gonna happen. Sorry.
We ain't beating them either. It'll take a perfect game to do it.

spongebob

Quote from: the_kosher_pig on November 24, 2013, 04:13:25 pm
Pine Bluff wins this one 35 to 31.  GW hasn't seen a team as physical at the POA.  The closest is Conway and GW was pushed around a bit there.  As long as PB doesn't turn the ball over PB pulls the upset. :)

Can't believe me and a certain other party agree on something....
You guys that think you're going to beat GW at their place are living in Fantasyland!
35-31 PB????? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Baitshop

Pine Bluff WILL NOT push Greenwood's OL around...book it

urban legend2

PB is going to be able to run the football against GW and I think GW will be able to throw it against them. The difference will be who is able to get stops and convert more. The big game atmosphere won't really come into play because 1) GW has been there before and 2) PB has too and doesn't have any pressure on them whatsoever. GW was the favorite to win 6A going in (at least by those of us who know what the class has and doesn't have) and nothing has changed that prediction whatsoever. There won't be any kind of revenge motivation for PB because 85% of this year's Z's weren't even a part of last year's title game. I do expect it to be a good game, and I think I can speak for ZD, Zfan and the rest of us Zebras supporters when I say it's going to take a near perfect effort to be Jones' crew on their home field.

zebrafan

Quote from: urban legend2 on November 24, 2013, 09:03:23 pm
PB is going to be able to run the football against GW and I think GW will be able to throw it against them. The difference will be who is able to get stops and convert more. The big game atmosphere won't really come into play because 1) GW has been there before and 2) PB has too and doesn't have any pressure on them whatsoever. GW was the favorite to win 6A going in (at least by those of us who know what the class has and doesn't have) and nothing has changed that prediction whatsoever. There won't be any kind of revenge motivation for PB because 85% of this year's Z's weren't even a part of last year's title game. I do expect it to be a good game, and I think I can speak for ZD, Zfan and the rest of us Zebras supporters when I say it's going to take a near perfect effort to be Jones' crew on their home field.
+1

zebradynasty

Quote from: Baitshop on November 24, 2013, 08:52:12 pm

When we say PUSH AROUND or at least I am talking about PB OL!

Baitshop

November 24, 2013, 09:46:53 pm #27 Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 09:49:00 pm by Baitshop
Quote from: zebradynasty on November 24, 2013, 09:41:15 pm
Quote from: Baitshop on November 24, 2013, 08:52:12 pm

When we say PUSH AROUND or at least I am talking about PB OL!

Oh....you boys may very well be able to push their DL around a bit, but Jones will bring as many people that he has to from as many angles as he has to to slow your roll offensively....

CRJ is easily, the MVP of that team....he will make less mistakes than Bolding and he will cause more mistakes from the Zebras than Bolding will cause from the Bulldogs....

the_kosher_pig

I can't get over so many blind "it's a blowout" predictions.  Is this based off of record?  I've seen both teams play.  I'm telling you, the speed and size at PB will shock GW.  If they play mistake free football GW fans walk out mumbling.  If they fumble like they did against El Dorado it will be a massacre for GW. 

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: the_kosher_pig on November 25, 2013, 06:52:05 am
I can't get over so many blind "it's a blowout" predictions.  Is this based off of record?  I've seen both teams play.  I'm telling you, the speed and size at PB will shock GW.  If they play mistake free football GW fans walk out mumbling.  If they fumble like they did against El Dorado it will be a massacre for GW. 
"Shock" Greenwood? Really? Please tell me you meant something else? Pine Bluff will not bring anything that GW hasn't seen football wise...lol...now, Pine Bluff is good and athletic no question, but they WILL NOT bring anything that GW hasn't saw before...

GW by 10...

the_kosher_pig

Greenwood by 10 is not bad.  It's the blowout predictions that blow my mind.

By the way I have no allegiance to either team.  I want Greenwood to win because it's good for recognition.  I want Pine Bluff to win because they are the under dogs. 

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: the_kosher_pig on November 25, 2013, 08:50:12 am
Greenwood by 10 is not bad.  It's the blowout predictions that blow my mind.

By the way I have no allegiance to either team.  I want Greenwood to win because it's good for recognition.  I want Pine Bluff to win because they are the under dogs. 
Yeah I know but you said that PB's size and speed will shock GW and that just isn't gonna be the case...and I agree the blowout predictions are stupid...

gatecrasher

Is 17 a blowout in this case?
Cause that's my pick. Greenwood by 17.

I bet you PB folks deep down think if you were on the other side of the bracket you'd be a shoo in to make it to LR huh? ;D

the_kosher_pig

<<-=-=-not a PB person.  I just like football.  I watched PB play a few times (like the El Dorado game) and GW (Conway and a blowout game earlier).  I just think PB is going to be more physical at the line than anyone I've seen GW play.  I also think PB has the speed at corner to keep up with the receivers.  Should be a good game. 

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: gatecrasher on November 25, 2013, 09:13:35 am

I bet you PB folks deep down think if you were on the other side of the bracket you'd be a shoo in to make it to LR huh? ;D
Nah, 17 isn't a blow out but that score would surprise me...

the_kosher_pig

I think it stays within 2 TD's either way.  It's going to be a good game I hope.  I'm coming from Sherwood to watch. :)  It's my personal game of the week!

FeartheZebra

It's funny because you are only excited to "make" it to Little Rock. We both know what will happen once/if you get there. And as far as this game goes... we have to not blow our own feet off with stupid play calls and mistakes. Considering we are being coached by Bolding and he can't seem to beat a good coach. I don't see that happening. But hey "miracles" happen everyday.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: FeartheZebra on November 25, 2013, 09:37:39 am

It's funny because you are only excited to "make" it to Little Rock. We both know what will happen once/if you get there. And as far as this game goes... we have to not blow our own feet off with stupid play calls and mistakes. Considering we are being coached by Bolding and he can't seem to beat a good coach. I don't see that happening. But hey "miracles" happen everyday.
Wow...interesting analysis...

FeartheZebra

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 25, 2013, 09:46:32 am
Quote from: FeartheZebra on November 25, 2013, 09:37:39 am

Wow...interesting analysis...

Don't get me wrong we have more than enough talent to beat this team. It all boils down to decision making and mistakes. For some reason I just don't see our kids making a lot of mistakes during this game. But judging from the past, Bolding chokes hard in big games Vs. big coaches. I love my hometown and I love this team. I wish them the best...

zebradynasty

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 25, 2013, 08:41:35 am
"Shock" Greenwood? Really? Please tell me you meant something else? Pine Bluff will not bring anything that GW hasn't seen football wise...lol...now, Pine Bluff is good and athletic no question, but they WILL NOT bring anything that GW hasn't saw before...

GW by 10...

Here's the deal NEITHER team will bring anything the other has not seen. Just because you've seen it you still have to stop and that's true for BOTH teams. Nobody has really stopped GW and for the most part the only one that has stopped PB....is PB! I do not expect to out execute GW but IF we can execute WELL then I hope our talent will make the difference. If we execute poorly it will be nearly impossible for the talent to make up the difference.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: zebradynasty on November 25, 2013, 10:02:48 am

GW by 10...

Here's the deal NEITHER team will bring anything the other has not seen. Just because you've seen it you still have to stop and that's true for BOTH teams. Nobody has really stopped GW and for the most part the only one that has stopped PB....is PB! I do not expect to out execute GW but IF we can execute WELL then I hope our talent will make the difference. If we execute poorly it will be nearly impossible for the talent to make up the difference.
Nope, your right. Both of these teams and coaches shouldn't be surprised by anything the other team brings to the table...are you coming up ZD?

FeartheZebra

GW by 10...

I agree. We all know Greenwood is going to do what Greenwood does. They are going to execute no doubt. That virtually leaves no room for error by neither the coaches.. nor the players. That's what makes greenwood almost unstoppable. However, I would'nt totally count PB out, sometimes it takes a little bit of luck and a lot of heart to pull out an upset on any given Friday...

xtremewildcat

Will either of these teams replay this game via webcast?

Baitshop

You can watch the game live or a replay on the Greenwood Dogpound website...

Baitshop

Not sure if there s a designation for a win by 17 points....

But I do know that the official requirement for a "boatracing" is a 21+ point win...

zebradynasty

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 25, 2013, 10:05:29 am

GW by 10...

Nope, your right. Both of these teams and coaches shouldn't be surprised by anything the other team brings to the table...are you coming up ZD?

Probably will not make it I've never been to GW and would like to visit but....not looking like it will be this year.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: zebradynasty on November 25, 2013, 11:38:25 am

GW by 10...

Probably will not make it I've never been to GW and would like to visit but....not looking like it will be this year.
Dang man, I was looking forward to shaking the hand of the man I have been arguing with for 8+ years...lol...

zebradynasty

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 25, 2013, 11:54:54 am

GW by 10...

Dang man, I was looking forward to shaking the hand of the man I have been arguing with for 8+ years...lol...

Yep my win streak of winning arguments against you is longer than GW's!  :D ;D

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: zebradynasty on November 25, 2013, 12:08:54 pm
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 25, 2013, 11:54:54 am

GW by 10...

Yep my win streak of winning arguments against you is longer than GW's!  :D ;D
lol...nice...not true but nice ...lolololol...

Soph66

Greenwood by 28+! PB doesn't have near the quality of team that Greenwood does, nor do they have a mastermind Coach like R. Jones. Just wait & see.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas