• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rules Inquiry Regarding Roughing the Punter

Started by Dayton Kitchens, November 12, 2017, 04:14:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dayton Kitchens

Punter takes snap.    He raises the ball,  takes a step forward, and pump fakes as though to pass downfield to one of his guys on each end who have released on the snap.

But instead of passing the ball the punter moves the ball back down in front of him and prepares to punt normally.

The defenders,  thinking a moment earlier that he was going to pass mow him down.

Is it still roughing the kicker?

Rulesman

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on November 12, 2017, 04:14:04 pm
Punter takes snap.    He raises the ball,  takes a step forward, and pump fakes as though to pass downfield to one of his guys on each end who have released on the snap.

But instead of passing the ball the punter moves the ball back down in front of him and prepares to punt normally.

The defenders,  thinking a moment earlier that he was going to pass mow him down.

Did he kick the ball?

PTreferee

That's the key question. If no punt, then can't have roughing the punter!

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: Rulesman on November 12, 2017, 07:29:14 pm
Did he kick the ball?

Yes.    But I thought that in for example a bad snap had the punter scrambling and running,  he was pretty much fair game to hit if you did it prior to the kick getting off.

Rulesman

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on November 12, 2017, 08:59:50 pm
Yes.    But I thought that in for example a bad snap had the punter scrambling and running,  he was pretty much fair game to hit if you did it prior to the kick getting off.
you didn't say anything about him scrambling to avoid the rush. Based on your original question at face value, I've got RTK.

arreferee

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on November 12, 2017, 04:14:04 pm

That's one we really need to see to be able to give a definite answer.  If it's obvious a kick will be made, the defense has to avoid him.

6ASOUTHPURPLECAT

I don't have the rule book in front of me, but doesn't it say..and I am paraphrasing..that the punter is a "runner" until he initiates the act of kicking? So if I interpret that correctly, he is fair game until he starts the action to kick the ball.  So when in your opinion does that start?

Rulesman

You are correct. He becomes a punter when he kicks the hall.

High Voltage

Quote from: Rulesman on November 13, 2017, 04:51:53 am
you didn't say anything about him scrambling to avoid the rush. Based on your original question at face value, I've got RTK.
He scrambled, then faked a second kick, ran to the sidelines, faked another pass then at the last moment decided to drop kick it through the goal posts for two. He left that part out also.

arreferee

Quote from: High Voltage on November 14, 2017, 08:24:10 am
He scrambled, then faked a second kick, ran to the sidelines, faked another pass then at the last moment decided to drop kick it through the goal posts for two. He left that part out also.

Is this is true, I really want to see the play now.  :)

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas