• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

6A East Conference Baseball 2010

Started by Pitch DR, February 09, 2010, 01:01:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pitch DR

I guess you gentlemen are waiting for me again to start our annual conference thread.  I'm surprised that we are only two weeks away from the beginning of our season, yet everyone is fairly quiet.  How have pre-season workouts gone for everyone thus far?  We've been inside more than outside here in Searcy, and if we don't get some dry weather soon, we will not have our light poles replaced in time for the first home game (Mar. 12th).  Of course, as I say this, I am looking at a foot of snow in my backyard.  We open with a benefit at Batesville on 2/24.  What about everyone else?

Anyone want to speculate about teams' strengths/weaknesses?  Predictions for the conference season? 

Good luck and God bless to all our teams, coaches, players, and fans.  It should be another exciting year in the 6A East.

PS  Let's make sure the South doesn't keep the crown as 6A state champs.  They have enough to mouth off about in football. 

ricepig

Well of course we were waiting on you, it's the official start of baseball season. Like you, Jonesboro has only been outside a handfull of times and they way it looks the next time may be opening week. We do have the indoor facility to take infield in, but working around soccer, track, cheer, and anyone else that thinks they have an upcoming season, it has been limited. Most of their work has been hitting and pitching in the cages and light infield work.

As far as conference goes, Searcy should be the favorite with their returning pitching. Jonesboro has to replace 6 Sr. starters from last year and develop some pitching depth, they probably have better overall team speed. MH should return some good pitching also, along with several position players. I know Jax lost some good pitching and position players, but really don't know what they return. Marion should return some pitching and speed, after that I don't have a clue about PV, Hall, or WM.

2windy

Thanks P.Dr. for coming out of hibernation. So wakeup Catcher,Arky,Triple,fastdrop,Hogboy,UALR,MARION,Ballard,Sledge,Dickey,St.Pride,Blue,ATC-get on the Keys-we need all those facts and opinions. We all know this is a valuable source of info for Baseball in Ar. since we have no High School State Sports Coverage! Don't even mention WallyWorld! Any way, here's my take, Jonesboro, always has good, big athletes(new coach ?) MH always well coached, with most players returning from last year+,Searcy a product of USSSA Travel    Baseball is loaded with pitching. Maion may suprise???

keepyourfocus

Searcy should be the overwhelming favorite. Jonesboro is always competitive. I know Mountain Home returns most of their starters. Jacksonville will be the suprise team. They lost their #1 and #2 pitchers but return a lot of offense. This could be one of their best offensive/defensive teams they have had in some time. The pitching will be the question mark.

I think it should be a very entertaining season.

oldcatcher

Quote from: 2windy on February 12, 2010, 02:21:28 pm
Thanks P.Dr. for coming out of hibernation. So wakeup Catcher,Arky,Triple,fastdrop,Hogboy,UALR,MARION,Ballard,Sledge,Dickey,St.Pride,Blue,ATC-get on the Keys-we need all those facts and opinions. We all know this is a valuable source of info for Baseball in Ar. since we have no High School State Sports Coverage! Don't even mention WallyWorld! Any way, here's my take, Jonesboro, always has good, big athletes(new coach ?) MH always well coached, with most players returning from last year+,Searcy a product of USSSA Travel    Baseball is loaded with pitching. Maion may suprise???

I am awake...waiting for it to get good :)

fastdrop

I luv me sum baseball....

I can't wait until the season starts. I have seen nothing or heard nothing about WM baseball...hopefully that will change soon.

Pitch DR

While we might take the label as favorites, I wouldn't go so far as to say overwhelming favorites by any means.  Most teams in the conference are a little more experienced this year and should be better.  We all have question marks--for some it's pitching, and for others it's hitting or defense.  Right now, our biggest concern will be solidifying the defense up the middle and into the outfield.  Lots of potential, though. 

ricepig

I agree, but besides Mt. Home, I'm not sure anybody returns as much pitching and pitching potential as you do. But we will go ahead and play the schedule out, I don't think anyone is conceding anything yet.

oldcatcher

Quote from: Pitch DR on February 15, 2010, 11:20:33 am
While we might take the label as favorites, I wouldn't go so far as to say overwhelming favorites by any means.  Most teams in the conference are a little more experienced this year and should be better.  We all have question marks--for some it's pitching, and for others it's hitting or defense.  Right now, our biggest concern will be solidifying the defense up the middle and into the outfield.  Lots of potential, though. 

Exactly why baseball is the greatest team game ever invented~ Got to play em one out at a time and litterally any team can beat another on a given day

Pitch DR

Mt. Home def. has some solid pitching returning.  I know about Jonesboro, but what does Jax, Marion, and WM have returning in the pitching dept.?  Any prospects at Hall or Parkview on the mound?

keepyourfocus

Quote from: oldcatcher on February 15, 2010, 12:00:06 pm

Exactly why baseball is the greatest team game ever invented~ Got to play em one out at a time and litterally any team can beat another on a given day

No doubt. That is why I wish the State tournament was a double elimination format.

Pitch DR

I would love that format--or even a  set of best 2 of 3 series over multiple weekends--but I don't see either becoming a reality anytime soon if ever. 

ricepig

Quote from: Pitch DR on February 15, 2010, 01:01:00 pm
Mt. Home def. has some solid pitching returning.  I know about Jonesboro, but what does Jax, Marion, and WM have returning in the pitching dept.?  Any prospects at Hall or Parkview on the mound?

I was thinking that Marion threw a soph. in the state tournament against WC, did a good job until the end. I seemed to get the impression that he hadn't pitched much, if at all, until the tournament. I really don't know about the others, but several of us are in the Polar Bear in Marion and will get a look at each other.

ricepig

Quote from: Pitch DR on February 15, 2010, 02:14:51 pm
I would love that format--or even a  set of best 2 of 3 series over multiple weekends--but I don't see either becoming a reality anytime soon if ever. 

They're taking games from us, we may be lucky to keep what we've got.

oldcatcher

Quote from: keepyourfocus on February 15, 2010, 01:26:48 pm

No doubt. That is why I wish the State tournament was a double elimination format.

Single elimination and best of 3 over weekend--would be awesome

12thman_MH

Well MH hasn't had an outdoor practice since Idk when. But during all this weather they've managed to get in a lot of cuts and a lot of bull pen sessions. Haven't had a lot of fielding practice though. But by the looks of it no one has had many outdoor practices. Should be an interesting season. MH lost only lost 2 seniors neither of which started.

ATC

old catcher, your a genius! wish I had said that!

Pitch DR

It's going to be soft, but we're going to do what we can on the field today. 

With the ground thawing and getting muddier and with no extended dry weather in sight, I'm afraid we're looking at starting our home season across town at the Legion field.  Of course, that field holds water much worse than ours, so the Lions could be looking at a lot of road games for awhile.  Sound familiar?

With the light pole situation at the baseball/softball complex, the construction situation at the soccer complex, and the recent collapse of our annex gym, the majority of our current in-season sports are displaced and unable to practice and/or play on their own facillities. 

ricepig

I'm sure your conference brethren will be more than willing to host all your conference games.  ;D

oldcatcher

Quote from: ricepig on February 17, 2010, 01:14:57 pm
I'm sure your conference brethren will be more than willing to host all your conference games.  ;D

And hire the umps

ricepig

It's the least we could do, I'm sure you would do the same for us.

oldcatcher

Quote from: ricepig on February 17, 2010, 08:57:12 pm
It's the least we could do, I'm sure you would do the same for us.

Of course we would...... In fact I would be glad to do it myself:)

fastdrop

I have decided to take one for the team....

I will be umping all of WM home games.....better be ready to swing that bat.

True Believer

You better get some new glasses first.  :)

So you can see what you are doing.

fastdrop

When Marion bats....High and inside is in the strike zone. Better be swinging

When WM bats...better be mid level and down the pike or else WM will reach home plate-----one base at a time. =) no curve balls, change ups, 1 - 2 - or 3 finger fastballs..... anything above 70mph and IT IS A BALL.

same goes for the rest of you yahoos

ricepig

Works for me, since we have WM at home.

oldcatcher

Quote from: fastdrop on February 18, 2010, 08:09:06 am
When Marion bats....High and inside is in the strike zone. Better be swinging

When WM bats...better be mid level and down the pike or else WM will reach home plate-----one base at a time. =) no curve balls, change ups, 1 - 2 - or 3 finger fastballs..... anything above 70mph and IT IS A BALL.

same goes for the rest of you yahoos

And how is that any different from any other WM home game?

oldcatcher

Quote from: fastdrop on February 12, 2010, 06:42:23 pm
I luv me sum baseball....

I can't wait until the season starts. I have seen nothing or heard nothing about WM baseball...hopefully that will change soon.

Watching the Searcy/Hall Basketball game on Friday reminded me of a two things...
1. 6A East is a monster basketball conference 2. God I love baseball

nextlevelathlete

i play for jax in left and center our pitching will be average but we will have a defense behind it and were going to swing the bat we will see where that lands us.

UALR11

Mountain Home better hve theyre best season in a long time...they are practicing 5 + hours a day...and with te talent they have?

ricepig

Quote from: UALR11 on February 22, 2010, 11:51:14 pm
Mountain Home better hve theyre best season in a long time...they are practicing 5 + hours a day...and with te talent they have?

Sounds like a lot of potential academic casualties in the second nine weeks. haha  I imagine everyone took advantage of the weather at the end of last week, 3 days in a row on the field.

icedmocha

listen here fans, searcy sounds like a team thats struggling physically as well as mentally.  when players are skipping practices and getting arrested for drug posession then something serious is going on here.  im looking for searcy to not do well this year based on the fact that they do not have the "team" concept working for them.im looking for Jonesboro or mtn home to be the better teams to come out of the 6A East.   

ArkyTiger

February 27, 2010, 05:21:11 pm #32 Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 05:24:35 pm by ArkyTiger
Quote from: icedmocha on February 27, 2010, 02:52:20 pm
listen here fans, searcy sounds like a team thats struggling physically as well as mentally.  when players are skipping practices and getting arrested for drug posession then something serious is going on here.  im looking for searcy to not do well this year based on the fact that they do not have the "team" concept working for them.im looking for Jonesboro or mtn home to be the better teams to come out of the 6A East.  

My son was the one that got caught with pot in his truck at school. I appreciate your obvious concern for his well-being. ::) As far as the rest of your comments,thats all wishful thinking on your behalf. Chemistry is important for a HS baseball team. However, this is a very talented group that I expect to gel as the season develops. My son can play the game of baseball. Right now I'm praying for him,as a father ,to get his life on track. Hopefully he will be back soon and help this team win. One thing is for sure, if you find pleasure in others pain, God will deal with that so I would ask that you comment on things that aren't personal in nature and keep it on baseball. Thanks  P.S.-he DID NOT get arrested so get your facts straight before you write your next National Enquirer post on Searcy baseball

2windy

Searcy always has more that there share of talent, but can't get it together!  I have seen the SS from Greenbrier play and he is the real deal, hope and pray he realizes what he has before it's too late.

ArkyTiger

Quote from: 2windy on February 27, 2010, 08:54:30 pm
Searcy always has more that there share of talent, but can't get it together!  I have seen the SS from Greenbrier play and he is the real deal, hope and pray he realizes what he has before it's too late.
Thanks 2windy...One thing I learned the hard way through raising 3 boys. Never say "if that were my kid,I would......". Your children will humble you. Pray for them every day and thank God that they are healthy and able to to do things many kids can't. One other thing and I'll stop preaching...don't let baseball or any sport become the most important thing in your families life. It's not and you will be reminded some day.

fastdrop

Quote from: ArkyTiger on February 28, 2010, 01:37:48 pm
Thanks 2windy...One thing I learned the hard way through raising 3 boys. Never say "if that were my kid,I would......". Your children will humble you. Pray for them every day and thank God that they are healthy and able to to do things many kids can't. One other thing and I'll stop preaching...don't let baseball or any sport become the most important thing in your families life. It's not and you will be reminded some day.
We all have to pay for our raising. Good Luck to the young man....most these kids don't understand that pot is a gateway drug.

Payers for him and you....I am sure he is a fine young man---just a little hard headed like the rest of us.

I can't wait for the polar bear classic....Who all is coming?

ricepig

Quote from: fastdrop on February 28, 2010, 02:27:53 pm
We all have to pay for our raising. Good Luck to the young man....most these kids don't understand that pot is a gateway drug.

Payers for him and you....I am sure he is a fine young man---just a little hard headed like the rest of us.

I think one Memphis team, the 3 Jonesboro teams, GCT, Gosnell, Blytheville, FC, Harding Academy, Wynne, and the two host teams. I'll put you and TB on notice for a first round bracket or matchups.

fastdrop

Quote from: ricepig on February 28, 2010, 05:08:28 pm

I think one Memphis team, the 3 Jonesboro teams, GCT, Gosnell, Blytheville, FC, Harding Academy, Wynne, and the two host teams. I'll put you and TB on notice for a first round bracket or matchups.
Please do...

ricepig

Quote from: fastdrop on February 28, 2010, 07:04:03 pm
Quote from: ricepig on February 28, 2010, 05:08:28 pm

Please do...

I meant for you or TB to get me one, haha, but if I get one before you do I'll let you know. I'm thinking of coming Wed. to watch the bb game at 5:30, if we win I will be there for the WM game Thursday. We play baseball at Blytheville that afternoon and I plan on driving down afterwards.

DickeyB

Just want to say that SS from Searcy is a great athlete and my son had the pleasure and enjoyment of playing with him. Sorry he slipped up, but we all have. My thoughts and prayers for him, great talent, but that is not what matters most.  We look forward to seeing him on the field this year. Doing what he does very well playing ball and being a great kid!

Pitch DR

Geez, with fans like icedmocha, who needs enemies? 

I expected other teams/communities to paint the target on our backs this season, but I didn't expect one of our own to take aim. 

oldcatcher

March 01, 2010, 11:00:37 pm #41 Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 11:20:41 pm by oldcatcher
Quote from: Pitch DR on March 01, 2010, 10:07:09 pm
Geez, with fans like icedmocha, who needs enemies? 

I expected other teams/communities to paint the target on our backs this season, but I didn't expect one of our own to take aim. 

at least they are talking bout ya

Schoolboy12

Quote from: Pitch DR on March 01, 2010, 10:07:09 pm<br />Geez, with fans like icedmocha, who needs enemies?  <br /><br />I expected other teams/communities to paint the target on our backs this season, but I didn't expect one of our own to take aim.  <br />

iced mocha, i think you need to stay in the boro where u belong and leave the grown up talk to the rest of us... stuff happens and you move on... i have faith in the coaching staff at searcy (from what ive heard) to turn this thing around and get that "team" concept working again im sure they will be (once again) the team to beat out of the east... goog luck to all the teams in the east ready to get this party started

ricepig

Quote from: Schoolboy12 on March 01, 2010, 11:02:21 pm
Quote from: Pitch DR on March 01, 2010, 10:07:09 pm<br />Geez, with fans like icedmocha, who needs enemies?  <br /><br />I expected other teams/communities to paint the target on our backs this season, but I didn't expect one of our own to take aim.  <br />

iced mocha, i think you need to stay in the boro where u belong and leave the grown up talk to the rest of us... stuff happens and you move on... i have faith in the coaching staff at searcy (from what ive heard) to turn this thing around and get that "team" concept working again im sure they will be (once again) the team to beat out of the east... goog luck to all the teams in the east ready to get this party started

Sounds like he is one of your own, we don't need any help like that.

oldcatcher

March 01, 2010, 11:36:34 pm #45 Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 07:47:12 am by oldcatcher
Quote from: icedmocha on February 27, 2010, 02:52:20 pm
listen here fans, searcy sounds like a team that's struggling physically as well as mentally.  when players are skipping practices and getting arrested for drug possession then something serious is going on here.  im looking for searcy to not do well this year based on the fact that they do not have the "team" concept working for them.im looking for Jonesboro or mtn home to be the better teams to come out of the 6A East.   

What team is not struggling mentally right now? There is a reason MLB teams go to Florida. Batting practice inside under fluorescent lights is like reading by the light of a disco ball. Not to mention that tee work and soft toss get old after a couple weeks. Running-lifting weights--?---baseball players hate that don't you know? Seriously dude- your scouting report is about a HS team that has yet to play a game; it seemed you goal was to spread some false rumors and bad mouth the program. No problem with that, as a team, but you made it personal with one young man. That was wrong.

oldcatcher

Quote from: UALR11 on February 22, 2010, 11:51:14 pm

5 hours a day..in mnt home? Did they build a dome?

fastdrop

Searcy - Jonesboro ---- 1 or 2

Hall -- Parkview ----- last or almost last

everybody else fights for the middle.

True Believer

I'll see if I can get coach to tell me ricepig.  He is probably pretty busy today..haha.

I know Marion plays today.

Go Pats!!   Except for the baseball team I am finished with Marion sports.

I am almost outta here!!   

ricepig

Thanks, TB, I've got another year left with this one, then a long break. HaHa

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas