• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SATURDAY START: 5A STATE TOURNAMENT BRACKET

Started by Brian G, March 01, 2015, 12:15:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

Brian G

March 01, 2015, 12:15:54 pm #1 Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 12:34:43 pm by B.G.
I'd like to use this thread for local info (like places to eat) as well as overall chatter about the games.

Scores will be on a separate thread each day.  Feel free to start other topics but lets try to gather here for one stop shopping.

think

In boys, I think the 5A tourney is going to be the most competitive in the state. There are a lot of talented teams that I could easily see standing in the end. Good luck to everyone!

MikeDiesel™

There also don't seem to be any real standout dominant teams, which will allow many teams to have a chance.  Could be some fun first round "upsets" this year because of that.

hogfan7

I will be shocked if anyone in the 5A East (boys) win against the 5A Central.  5A Central is just a powerhouse.

Vteagle

I am not ready to say the (boys) central all going to win against the East but, I will be surprised if at least one team from the Central isn't playing in the championship.  I think each conf has a level of competition but the Central top four I think is the best.

hs_sports_lvr

Quote from: hogfan7 on March 02, 2015, 10:13:57 am
I will be shocked if anyone in the 5A East (boys) win against the 5A Central.  5A Central is just a powerhouse.
I'm not sure I would say that so hastily my friend. Greene County Tech, who ends up being the #6 in the 5A East beat LR McClellan,
who ends up being the #1 in the 5A Central

mijally

I've watched a lot of 5a ball this year and I'd say on any given day any team is vulnerable. Throw in the pressure of State Tournament and the "last game of your career" and you just never know how 16-18 yr olds will respond.

think

I think VV has a good shot at beating Fair. Others will be tough. The East will have the benefit of home crowds as well. McClellan is awfully tough, as is Mills and Jacksonville. Understood that GCT beat McClellan earlier in the year but I would have to think McClellan would win 8-9 out of 10 against GCT.

hs_sports_lvr

Quote from: think on March 02, 2015, 12:45:26 pm
I think VV has a good shot at beating Fair. Others will be tough. The East will have the benefit of home crowds as well. McClellan is awfully tough, as is Mills and Jacksonville. Understood that GCT beat McClellan earlier in the year but I would have to think McClellan would win 8-9 out of 10 against GCT.
[/quote
too bad you only get one shot & thats the way state is...win or go home...that's why we play the games..the rest is just opinion..including mine]

Grond

WARNING: Forecast for Paragould Wednesday is 1 to 3 inches of Wintry Mix. Low 18. High Thurs. is 28, low is 3.

We have been getting lot of sleet. The forecast will almost certainly change; but please be careful:o

MikeDiesel™

Well, the weatherman is going to be announcing some of the games at GCT.  So, we should all be up-to-date there.  :)

He's stating that it looks like schools up here will be out thursday/friday and possibly Wednesday.

cannon

Quote from: think on March 02, 2015, 12:45:26 pm

I haven't watched a single game outside the East region, so I don't have the slightest clue how the others will play, but I can say without hesitation that, on any given night, any team in the East is capable of taking down any other team in that region.  There's a great deal of parity up here.

Ponca

Gonna take a stab at this...

BOYS

1st Round
McClellen
Morrilton
Valley View
Vilonia
Maumelle
Forrest City
Clarksville
Mills

2nd Round
McClellen
Valley View
Forrest City
Mills

Semis
Valley View
Forrest City

Champ
Valley View

GIRLS

1st Round
PA
Vilonia
GC Tech
Harrison
Farmington
Batesville
Hot Springs
Beebe

2nd Round
PA
GC Tech
Farmington
Beebe

Semis
PA
Beebe

Final
PA

Grond

From someone who has watched the 5A East:

Valley View - Well coached, well executing team. They know their plays, they ALL play defense. Even when they are having an "off" shooting night, they adjust to exploit their advantage. I hate them  >:(; playing them is like drowning - no matter what you do, you are going down.

Forest City & Paragould - Much more emotional, depending on the mood of key players. Live by the '3'. Less well rounded than Valley View; tend to have 'scorers' and 'defenders'. And if you are specialized, then you are also a weakness. And if they are "on", you have to score 80 points just to keep up.

Nettleton - 4th seed. Good team, but somewhat bizarre: their talent can't seem to overcome their coaching. At times, I'm sitting there thinking, "Don't know why you took out that really good post player, but thanks!"  ::)

Let the games begin....... 8)

WPWells

I'll be score watching all day and tweeting out my thoughts on Twitter @Wesley_Wells23

hogfan7

March 03, 2015, 12:32:20 pm #16 Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 12:36:11 pm by hogfan7
I know many may disagree with me.  But I have watched all the teams in 5A Central and 5A East play (boys).  I don't see 5A East standing a chance.  The 5A Central is just loaded.  And about GCT playing and beating McClellan?  Ask them how many players were still in football when they played them.  I predict 5A Central sweep.  The 5A Central just is quicker, can jump, and has unlimited bench on all 4 teams.

Silky Johnson

The past few years I've seen JA fair they havent been much. If VV doesn't whip them I'd be surprised.

RamCat

Quote from: hogfan7 on March 03, 2015, 12:32:20 pm
I know many may disagree with me.  But I have watched all the teams in 5A Central and 5A East play (boys).  I don't see 5A East standing a chance.  The 5A Central is just loaded.  And about GCT playing and beating McClellan?  Ask them how many players were still in football when they played them.  I predict 5A Central sweep.  The 5A Central just is quicker, can jump, and has unlimited bench on all 4 teams.

I"m not gonna say that the Central couldn't sweep the East.  Personally I don't think they will.  But I will say that McClellan's last football game was Nov. 6th and GCT's last game was Nov. 7th.  So I dont think football had any play in it.  It was only one b-ball game on Nov. 29th.  McClellan may very could win the next 9.  But that's against a 5A-East team that finished 6th.  The other 5 are a little better.  Especially the top 3.

godeep

If you look hard East is really a year away. Both VV n FC  are  both a year away from serious run.  HS in South should be tough(boys)

Complete Biased PoV

Quote from: Silky Johnson on March 03, 2015, 01:14:08 pm
The past few years I've seen JA fair they havent been much. If VV doesn't whip them I'd be surprised.

Guess you were surprised?  ::)  5A Central is FOR REAL folks!  PA is sitting at home and would most likely be at worst a 3 seed in any other conference.

Ponca

Quote from: Complete Biased PoV on March 03, 2015, 08:46:39 pm

Guess you were surprised?  ::)  5A Central is FOR REAL folks!  PA is sitting at home and would most likely be at worst a 3 seed in any other conference.

You could say same for Harrison or Greenbrier out of the West.

Complete Biased PoV

Quote from: Ponca on March 03, 2015, 08:58:12 pm

I would agree with that, I will revise it to East or South.

hogfan7

Quote from: Complete Biased PoV on March 03, 2015, 09:03:24 pm

I agree with both of you.  I don't think there have been many people in the East see the teams from other conferences play.  A lot of teams are sitting home right now with teams in the 5A East getting their spot in the tourney.  But, that is the nature of the beast.  Sad that those teams didn't get a spot, they are better and are so well deserving.

Grond

Quote from: hogfan7 on March 04, 2015, 08:26:35 am

I agree with both of you.  I don't think there have been many people in the East see the teams from other conferences play.  A lot of teams are sitting home right now with teams in the 5A East getting their spot in the tourney.  But, that is the nature of the beast.  Sad that those teams didn't get a spot, they are better and are so well deserving.

Oh yeah, after the 5A East WON the Girls (Paragould) and Boys (Forrest City) 5A State tournament in 2014, they just don't deserve any respect.  :o

wiseman3

I would be shocked if the games are played today. I hope they are though. I'm ready for some good 5A West basketball!!

yesteryearman

Quote from: wiseman3 on March 05, 2015, 06:59:17 am
I would be shocked if the games are played today. I hope they are though. I'm ready for some good 5A West basketball!!

No games today, Thursday, hopefully start back Friday

kingoftherapids

Per AAA twitter, it won't be until saturday that games are started

hotspringshog

Looks like teams will have to play Saturday, Sunday and Monday.  Gonna be tough travel for us from Hot Springs.

sevenof400

While there is still a lot of time before Saturday, it will take a minor miracle for games to be played on Saturday given some of the amounts of snow ice and sleet that have fallen around the state.

Grond

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 05, 2015, 10:07:43 am
While there is still a lot of time before Saturday, it will take a minor miracle for games to be played on Saturday given some of the amounts of snow ice and sleet that have fallen around the state.

You are right. Paragould got 5+ inches of snow, with drifts over a foot. And Paragould won't get above freezing until Saturday.

Go Postal

Central has a good start with the Boys winning two games and the Girls winning one game.
Next is the West with the Boys winning one game and the Girls winning one game.
Next is the East with the Girls winning one game.
South is still pending for this weekend.
1st round still pending...

side note:  Dang this weather, I thought that I would have known more Basketball playoff scores by this date.  Heck, even Boys/Girls soccer, and probably Baseball/Softball seasons have started already.  Thank goodness soccer balls come in yellow or orange if the ground is white.  LOL!

hogfan7

Quote from: Grond on March 04, 2015, 11:22:27 pm
Quote from: hogfan7 on March 04, 2015, 08:26:35 am

Oh yeah, after the 5A East WON the Girls (Paragould) and Boys (Forrest City) 5A State tournament in 2014, they just don't deserve any respect.  :o

Well, maybe that may have been the case in the past years, but I am talking about this year.  This year, the 5A East BOYS, who we have been talking about in this discussion, are not as good as the 5A Central teams.  NOT THIS YEAR.

Complete Biased PoV

Central has at least 2 of the Boys semi-finalist?  I wish I was in Paragould for the 2 boys games left this evening...   :o :o :o  They should be some good ones!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas