• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cedar Ridge Boys

Started by followme, May 09, 2015, 07:44:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

followme

Is this job open? Heard Middlebrooks is out.

WPWells

They have the best player in the 3A though!

bdog32

As far as I know there is no truth to this.  Where did you hear that and where is he going.  And reaves is not just the best player in 3A.  One of best overall in state IMO

bdog32

I called around and there is no truth to this rumor wherever it came from. Which is good news for cedar ridge because i think he does a good job.  They said he has been getting them boys up to gym at 645 in morning for practices everyday.  So with the coach and with all but 1 back from last year are they the favorites in 3A?

followme

Hope it isn't true. He is a really good coach. 2 state championships says quite a bit.

WPWells

I'd say the favorites would be a team that actually played in the state tournament

Batman44

Quote from: followme on May 11, 2015, 07:54:05 am
Hope it isn't true. He is a really good coach. 2 state championships says quite a bit.

Not saying he isn't a good coach, just saying I have heard he has a play book consisting of 95-100 different plays. I guess that's fine, if the boys can learn all of them.

bdog32

They should have been there.  If reaves hadn't gotten  in foul trouble I think they beat mayflower and are In the state finals.  I didn't see the game but have heard that from a few of the other coaches that were in the state tournament

As for his system I don't see anything wrong with having a lot of plays.  Middlebrooks played for Hargrove and is good friends with johnny taylor and they both run a ton of plays

#EagleStrong

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on May 11, 2015, 09:07:56 am
I'd say the favorites would be a team that actually played in the state tournament

Let's not forget that the team that beat them in the first round of regionals also played in the state championship game. They just ran into a buzz saw. Any other region and they would have been in. Taking care of business in the district tournament would have helped, but there were tons of upset in district tourneys this year, so they were hardly alone in that regard.

followme

Let's just say if Reaves had been totally healthy that CR would have been in the finals without a doubt. Middlebrooks does a great job with these kids but because they didn't win it again I believe that some of the people around the program are thinking he's to blame. That's wrong.

WPWells

Oh sorry. I didn't realize Cedar Ridge had injuries. That changes everything. No one else had injuries. I'm so sorry that the poor Timberwolves had to go through this horror of having a player INJURED!

bdog32

If a team wins it's the players. Lose its the coach.  That's the nature of the job.  He does do a good job with the kids.  Some of the parents in that community act like idiots at ball games.  Saw it again at the baseball regional when they lost.  They have some of the worst fans I've seen.  Makes it hard to coach there I'm sure.

followme

QUOTE:
Oh sorry. I didn't realize Cedar Ridge had injuries. That changes everything. No one else had injuries. I'm so sorry that the poor Timberwolves had to go through this horror of having a player INJURED!

No kidding. I know that if you lose your best player it's gonna hurt the whole team. That's the point. No need to be a jerk about it. Everyone has to adjust to injuries. When you do lose your best it's gonna bring you down.

WPWells

So was he in foul trouble or was he injured? Make up your mind on which excuse you're using today

Moonshiner

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on May 11, 2015, 03:18:39 pm
So was he in foul trouble or was he injured? Make up your mind on which excuse you're using today

Wow, you seem kinda sensitive on this one.  That kid has been playing with bad shoulders for a few years now.  He's as talented as they come. Kinda hard to do anything when your arms don't work. From what I was told he got into foul trouble, while playing hurt.  Getting in foul trouble and playing through injuries are both part of the game.  I'm sure lots of teams had similar complaints.  But not all teams had that type of player on their respective teams. Cedar Ridge is much better with him on the floor.  They would've went a long way had he been healthier and not been in foul trouble.  Anyone that doesn't consider them a threat to make it far next year, just don't know much about them.

WPWells

Not sensitive, just noticing that their fans have been making the same excuses for four months now

bobcats

May 11, 2015, 05:27:43 pm #16 Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 05:40:20 pm by bobcats
I went to watch them against Mayflower and was disappointed not to see more of Reaves.  It appeared that the same ref called all the fouls on him, I guess that ref wanted all the attention on himself.  That being said, outside of Reaves and Crabtree CR is  average so if they get in foul trouble they are in big trouble.  They are both very good players.

bobcats

Quote from: bobcats on May 11, 2015, 05:27:43 pm
I went to watch them against Mayflower and was disappointed not to see more of Reaves.  It appeared that the same ref called all the fouls on him, I guess that ref wanted all the attention on himself.  That being said, outside of Reaves and Crabtree CR is  average so if they get in foul trouble they are in big trouble.  They are both very good players.  If Reaves was to get a little stronger he might be unstoppable.  Actually that one ref stopped him all by himself so I take that back, he is stoppable.

Lrbasketballguru

Hope to see Allie and Kelvin match up against Crabtree and Reaves. Both two time state champions I believe. Both of ECS's guys are some of the best in the state overall too. They consistently perform well against top competition.

BlueGhost

Quote from: bobcats on May 11, 2015, 05:27:43 pm
I went to watch them against Mayflower and was disappointed not to see more of Reaves.  It appeared that the same ref called all the fouls on him, I guess that ref wanted all the attention on himself.  That being said, outside of Reaves and Crabtree CR is  average so if they get in foul trouble they are in big trouble.  They are both very good players.

I guess they got the same ref treatment Pokey got at the finals of Lyon College tournament. They didn't have that same ref that helped them out two years in a row. JMO ::) ::) ::)

bdog32

How has this turned from a is the coach staying or going to a ref bashing thread.  I didn't see the team play much but I did see the last 2 years Lyon finals and Cedar beat them 2 years ago minus the younger reaves and the older reaves playing on a sprained ankle scored 30+ pts and this year the younger reaves torched them for close to 40.  Both were very good games.  Pokie plays in that conference where they get to beat the crap out of each other night after night and didn't adjust this year to the calling.  But like I said how did this thread change.  Followme  says he heard the coach was out.  I was told different.   Anyone else know for sure? 

Eagle20

Quote from: Lrbasketballguru on May 11, 2015, 08:38:55 pm
Hope to see Allie and Kelvin match up against Crabtree and Reaves. Both two time state champions I believe. Both of ECS's guys are some of the best in the state overall too. They consistently perform well against top competition.
ECS will be good but they are at least  guardable now w/out the post play they lost.  ECS would eventually kill u on the boards.  They won't have that this year.  We will see how good of a coach Marsh is now facing junk defense next year on those two.

HorseFeathers

So...is this a thread about a possible opening, more of 12th man's trolling, or a thread about episcopal, cause after reading all 21 posts I'm confused....

WPWells

I don't know but I'm having fun

Proud Buckaroo

This thread is the most derailed thing I've seen. ::)

Basketballfan13

bdog32

I thought job opening but who knows.   If he's gone Noone  around the school knows and I've not seen him mentioned with a job opening.  The folks I talked to said he is close to his seniors and has had them since 7th grade and don't think he'd leave them now unless it was for a better job.  If he's gone this is a good job for a year then cycles down I think to a dry spell for a few years

followme

If it were true someone would know by now. I had a parent of a former player mention that she heard he was out. I know the coach and he's a good one. They'd be stupid to get rid of him unless he was beating his players or verbally abusing them. He doesn't do either. A previous poster referred to parents at this particular school as being less than stellar. Maybe that has something to do with the topic even getting started. Parents - can't blame them all though. Some are great. Some you never see or hear. But there are a few who like to stir things up whether they know what's going on or not.   

doubled

Middlebrook was blessed with some really great talent and did well with them but that doesn't make him a good coach. Next year is his last year and u can put money on it when Reaves and Crabtree  are gone he is too. He's credit for 2 state titles should be minimal at best he's just a coach that feel face first into a great team that was going to be great even if he never set foot on that court as there coach.  Even 12th man could have coached those boys to 2 state titles and got him a ring because he sure didn't with Charleston.

TheGovernor

Talent wins games indeed. But I have seen Middlebrooks coach a game and I think anyone with common sense knows he can coach. I think he runs great sets for his players to score and I also think he prepares his teams well. And I am def an outsider. I have been a 3a-2 conference poster for a while and just started watching cedar ridge this season. He can coach you can say that garbage about talent but most teams who win a title have tons of talent. It takes a combo of a decent coach and a talented team to win one. Not a cedar ridge fan by any means but I can respect good coaching when I see it

brock

Middlebrooks does a good job. He seems to adjust well and always have a good game plan. Has he had some talent yes, but you dont win state on talent alone. Every year there are multiple talented teams who make early exits. It takes talent, coaching, and a little bit of luck to win it all.

doubled

Well Gov I've been watching him for 5 years every game they've played. What I've said is the truth yeah he has a lot of sets and had five kids that could run them to almost perfection all 5 kids are college level ball players in some sport and worked harder than any team around. They weren't forced to work hard and sure didn't do it for or because of him they had a drive and determination to win for each other. So you've watched a few games gov and so you think you know a good coach. A great coach knows how to motivate his team threw the good and bad games can teach the almost Un teachable care for the Un athletic and be a mentor to these players.  Not one that tosses them to the side when their of no use anymore and is only around to further his coaching  resume. I can understand your views when they come from the outside  outside is the key word.

doubled

Quote from: brock on June 01, 2015, 07:10:45 pm
Middlebrooks does a good job. He seems to adjust well and always have a good game plan. Has he had some talent yes, but you dont win state on talent alone. Every year there are multiple talented teams who make early exits. It takes talent, coaching, and a little bit of luck to win it all.
everything you said is correct and he is a Coach.

Eagle20

Quote from: doubled on June 01, 2015, 07:36:55 pm
Well Gov I've been watching him for 5 years every game they've played. What I've said is the truth yeah he has a lot of sets and had five kids that could run them to almost perfection all 5 kids are college level ball players in some sport and worked harder than any team around. They weren't forced to work hard and sure didn't do it for or because of him they had a drive and determination to win for each other. So you've watched a few games gov and so you think you know a good coach. A great coach knows how to motivate his team threw the good and bad games can teach the almost Un teachable care for the Un athletic and be a mentor to these players.  Not one that tosses them to the side when their of no use anymore and is only around to further his coaching  resume. I can understand your views when they come from the outside  outside is the key word.
Quite a strong accusation that he tosses players to the wayside when there of no use to him anymore.  Did you have a relative play for him? 

doubled

Quote from: Eagle20 on June 01, 2015, 08:33:19 pm
Quote from: doubled on June 01, 2015, 07:36:55 pm
Quite a strong accusation that he tosses players to the wayside when there of no use to him anymore.  Did you have a relative play for him?
common knowledge if your from the area so I'm guessing your not.

doubled

Quote from: followme on May 13, 2015, 09:21:17 am
If it were true someone would know by now. I had a parent of a former player mention that she heard he was out. I know the coach and he's a good one. They'd be stupid to get rid of him unless he was beating his players or verbally abusing them. He doesn't do either. A previous poster referred to parents at this particular school as being less than stellar. Maybe that has something to do with the topic even getting started. Parents - can't blame them all though. Some are great. Some you never see or hear. But there are a few who like to stir things up whether they know what's going on or not.
if what you stated is reasons  for dismissal then yes he should be GONE!

TheGovernor

Well I am from outside. Which actually may be a good unbiased point of view. Sometimes parents have too much involved emotionally and when it comes to their own kids they can't see the bigger picture. Here is what I know: Middlebrooks has 2 state rings. He lost 2 really talented players and made region this past season on the shoulders of Reaves. And correct me if I'm wrong but I honestly believe they would have made finals of state if the Regional referees wouldn't have screwed his best player "reaves" on bogus calls. They would have danced to the state finals on that side of bracket because other regions are a lot weaker. However there is no way they would have beaten Episcopal in regional finals or state finals. I think Middlebrooks does a good job not every coach is perfect but I will give him benefit of doubt. This thread is kinda pointless considering this is all hear say

Eagle20

Quote from: TheGovernor on June 02, 2015, 07:48:50 am
Well I am from outside. Which actually may be a good unbiased point of view. Sometimes parents have too much involved emotionally and when it comes to their own kids they can't see the bigger picture. Here is what I know: Middlebrooks has 2 state rings. He lost 2 really talented players and made region this past season on the shoulders of Reaves. And correct me if I'm wrong but I honestly believe they would have made finals of state if the Regional referees wouldn't have screwed his best player "reaves" on bogus calls. They would have danced to the state finals on that side of bracket because other regions are a lot weaker. However there is no way they would have beaten Episcopal in regional finals or state finals. I think Middlebrooks does a good job not every coach is perfect but I will give him benefit of doubt. This thread is kinda pointless considering this is all hear say
You may not have liked the calls on Reaves but they weren't bogus.  He was really moving on those screens.  The only questionable one was the last one.  I do believe CR had a chance to beat Episcopa though.  BHG had ECS  to 1 possession, down 3 with :13 left on the clock in the regional final and Cedar had a better team.

bdog32

Refs have a tough job as do coaches.  If Cedar had won I don't think they could have beaten ecs.   Ecs had played harmony grove 3 or 4 times already and it's hard to beat a good team that many times in a row.  As for CR and coach Middlebrooks he probably feels like thibs  in Chicago. Has had success and can't  catch a break.  idk why he would stay this year with no support the way it sounds.  And I would for sure leave after next season as well if I was a coach.  Goes back to what I said earlier in this post.  CR has horrible fans.  I'm actually in agreeable with 12th Man.  CR fans need to stop making excuses.  The seasons over.  On to next year.   

TheGovernor

+1
CR fans are terrible. I have to agree with that statement, either blaming coaches or etc.. They better enjoy the good years they have because talent runs its course and no coach will want to be in that situation

doubled

Here is something else you should know CR didn't just graduate 1 senior from last year they had 3 other kids quit on him. 1 starter 1 starter half the time and a role player that had played 4 years for him.

Basketballfan13

Quote from: doubled on June 02, 2015, 04:21:47 pm
Here is something else you should know CR didn't just graduate 1 senior from last year they had 3 other kids quit on him. 1 starter 1 starter half the time and a role player that had played 4 years for him.
Sounds to me like the parents that look for excuses are rubbing off on their children and they are quitting. Unless the coach is physically abusing the athlete, any athlete that loves the game isn't going to quit because of their coach.

bdog32

+1 ^
Couldn't have said that better.  I look at it like this.  Our troops may not like the commander in chief but they do their job for the soldiers next to them.  They don't quit on their friends.   In my observations over the years from the time my kids were in school until now kids are growing more and more selfish.  Whatever happened to the WE part of sports.  Now it's ME ME ME.   I think that has to do with the fact that today's kids are shown  in peewees and little league  baseball there are no winners and losers anymore.  Everyone gets to play and everyone gets a ribbon.  Then when they get to where winning and losing matter they quit when things don't go their way.   
That said who were the kids that quit?  And how does that affect them? 

doubled

Quote from: bdog32 on June 02, 2015, 10:12:36 pm
+1 ^
Couldn't have said that better.  I look at it like this.  Our troops may not like the commander in chief but they do their job for the soldiers next to them.  They don't quit on their friends.   In my observations over the years from the time my kids were in school until now kids are growing more and more selfish.  Whatever happened to the WE part of sports.  Now it's ME ME ME.   I think that has to do with the fact that today's kids are shown  in peewees and little league  baseball there are no winners and losers anymore.  Everyone gets to play and everyone gets a ribbon.  Then when they get to where winning and losing matter they quit when things don't go their way.   
these kids didn't quit because of playing  time and definitely not selfish. They moved on because they will not play ball for Middlebrook.  heck I don't know if he will have enough kids for a 7th grade are jr high team next year. It will affect the team next year by how much is anyone's guess.  The school board should have done something about him this year personally I have no respect for him as you can tell but I promise you I'm not the only one from around there that feels this way.

TheOfficial

Quote from: doubled on June 02, 2015, 10:58:29 pm
+1 ^
these kids didn't quit because of playing  time and definitely not selfish. They moved on because they will not play ball for Middlebrook.  heck I don't know if he will have enough kids for a 7th grade are jr high team next year. It will affect the team next year by how much is anyone's guess.  The school board should have done something about him this year personally I have no respect for him as you can tell but I promise you I'm not the only one from around there that feels this way.

Doubled, you never answered the question about having a relative that played for him.  It sounds to me like you do.  Your arguments sound like the emotionally unstable parent that we see too many times sticking their nose into the athletic program.  Sounds to me like this program has been very successful under this coach.  And those of you that think good teams don't require a good coach to be successful are crazy.  Especially when having to deal with crazy parents who won't leave them alone and post negative stuff about their program on blogs.

Longfellow

Can someone clear this up for me? Is the coach gone? Which players quit the team? If any

WPWells

doubled

Quote from: TheOfficial on June 03, 2015, 09:14:13 am
+1 ^

Doubled, you never answered the question about having a relative that played for him.  It sounds to me like you do.  Your arguments sound like the emotionally unstable parent that we see too many times sticking their nose into the athletic program.  Sounds to me like this program has been very successful under this coach.  And those of you that think good teams don't require a good coach to be successful are crazy.  Especially when having to deal with crazy parents who won't leave them alone and post negative stuff about their program on blogs.
official I'm just stating the facts.  Sounds like maybe your a coach l and just taking up for coach's are maybe your a relative what's your name buddy and I will tell u mine

doubled

Quote from: doubled on June 03, 2015, 02:35:27 pm
Quote from: TheOfficial on June 03, 2015, 09:14:13 am
+1 ^

official I'm just stating the facts.  Sounds like maybe your a coach l and just taking up for coach's are maybe your a relative what's your name buddy and I will tell u mine
wait I  did some research your from Middlebrooks part of the country maybe even a Personal friend.  Look the facts are this the kids hate playing for him and so the question is why? You can blame parents heck blame the kids if you want to I really don't care but when there is desertion in the ranks the problems starts from the top down.

Neers34

Ford and Vinson both are transferring back to Batesville from Cedar Ridge

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas