• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3A-1 East Next year!!

Started by yellowjackethooper, March 19, 2015, 09:30:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowjackethooper

With no clear favorite as Flippin was this year.... How do you guys think it plays out as we look to next year? What did your team lose? What do they have returning? What are your predictions 1-9? Good conversation only would be nice and not a bunch of arguing!  ;D

bobcats

Does anyone know what's going on at Yellville?  I have heard they are having to RIF a bunch of teachers and Adams is on the list.  Who will be coaching boys basketball next year? 

Basketballfan13

My predictions on girls:
1. Valley (pretty much same team, possible pre-season favorite for state)
2. Yellville (should have a solid starting 5, if they develop any over the summer will be pretty tough)
3. Mountain View (really depends on if they move up the freshman pg next year)
4. Bergman (lost top 4 scorers, but will compete and could surprise)
5. Melbourne (lost PG and another starting guard but returns most of everything else, could upset people)
6. Flippin (lost two starters, still have 2 of the better scorers but no one to replace what they lost)
7. Marshall (lost PG and post i believe, will struggle with pressure and scoring)
8. Cotter (moved up good jr high team, might be a year away from competing)
9. Green Forest (not much moving up to help the sr high team that struggled)

Moonshiner

My humble list for boys

1 Valley
2 Marshall
3 Flippin
4 Yellville
5 Bergman
6 Cotter
7 Melbourne
8 Green Forest
9 Mtn. View

Beast Boy

Valley takes the conference next year, as well as regional and a good chance at state.

bobcats

Boys

1.  Marshall - Return most from a 22-7 team.

2.  Yellville - Returns 4 starters, a lot depends on the coaching situation here.

3.  Valley - Lost a lot of key seniors.  Will go as far as Hogue can carry them.

4.  Flippin - Like Valley, they lose a lot.  But do return a good coach and pg. 

5.  Bergman - Return most of last years team.  Should improve.

6.  Cotter -  Like Bergman, return most of last years team and should be better if guard play gets better.

7-9 -  GF, Mtn View and Melbourne will compete for these spots.

This is based on the end of last season.  Obviously players can move in or out which could change this substantially.

drybones

1. Valley - They return Hogue and Saunders. They have a good bench and are moving up some good freshmen. Taylor with have them ready.

2. Marshal - This years group of sophomores and Nicholson will be a tough group.

3. Flippin - I know they graduate several, but they do return Polite. Hargrove will be sure that he has players ready to step up and fill those positions. They do have size.

Then,  Yellville, Bergman, Cotter, Mnt. View, Melbourne, Green Forest.

That's my initial picks. It should be a very competetive conference this year.

Googlymoogly

Quote from: bobcats on March 19, 2015, 10:14:31 am
Does anyone know what's going on at Yellville?  I have heard they are having to RIF a bunch of teachers and Adams is on the list.  Who will be coaching boys basketball next year? 
Yes, Adams is going to be RIF'd (I guess that's a word now). They can't go outside the district and get another coach so it has to be someone on staff and from what someone told me that it's going to be Truxler who has been as assistant football coach for a while. I believe he was a candidate for the head boys basketball job last year

bobcats

Quote from: Googlymoogly on April 09, 2015, 12:07:45 am
Yes, Adams is going to be RIF'd (I guess that's a word now). They can't go outside the district and get another coach so it has to be someone on staff and from what someone told me that it's going to be Truxler who has been as assistant football coach for a while. I believe he was a candidate for the head boys basketball job last year

So he is a football coach who has coached basketball in the past?  How long has he been out of basketball?

Bergman1820

What does RIF mean?

Nevermind I found it.

4real

Reduction In Force.

Every school district has this included in their policies just in case they get in a financial pinch.  There are guidelines that determine who gets let go first.

Googlymoogly

Quote from: bobcats on April 09, 2015, 06:47:58 am
Quote from: Googlymoogly on April 09, 2015, 12:07:45 am

So he is a football coach who has coached basketball in the past?  How long has he been out of basketball?
Doesn't matter because he's going to be the best one on staff to do it. I mean your other choices is to have Karra Busch coach girls AND boys or one of the other football coaches to coach boys

we_hate_the_band

April 29, 2015, 01:32:12 pm #12 Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 01:43:54 pm by we_hate_the_band
I wouldn't stroke out if Valley didn't pull it off next year.

Valley- Tradition Never Graduates...

Marshall- Interesting to see how they finish the year. kinda burned out at the end.

Flippin- Dion Hargrove is the best coach in the conference.

Yellville- Talent and Truxler. He will find out that this isn't Rivercrest or McGhee real quick.

Melbourne- There's animals across the white river, and they are playing football not basketball.

Mtn View- Thank god we aren't in Bergman's shoes

Bergman- Bo knows?

Cotter- Hey at least they don't have to travel to Walnut Ridge!

Green Forest- Soccer off season is in full swing.

Moonshiner

Quote from: we_hate_the_band on April 29, 2015, 01:32:12 pm

Marshall- Interesting to see how they finish the year. kinda burned out at the end.

Yellville- Talent and Truxler. He will find out that this isn't Rivercrest or McGhee real quick.

Melbourne- There's animals across the white river, and they are playing football not basketball.

Bergman- Bo knows?

Is this your ranking or just comments on each team?

we_hate_the_band

Quote from: Moonshiner on April 29, 2015, 05:43:20 pm

Bergman- Bo knows?

Can it not be both?

HeadTiger

How is Dion Hargrove the best coach? He's a good coach but uh? Johnny led a team to 36-0. 2 rings. Johnny>Dion

we_hate_the_band

April 30, 2015, 10:22:30 am #16 Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 12:48:37 pm by we_hate_the_band
Quote from: HeadTiger on April 29, 2015, 10:31:47 pm
How is Dion Hargrove the best coach? He's a good coach but uh? Johnny led a team to 36-0. 2 rings. Johnny>Dion

What is Johnny Basketball's record vs Dion?

Didn't you lose to him in the district tourney your sr year? VS was rather talented.

Dion has his ring. And won it with a lot less talent.  Unlike you, I watched both of these men coach their title games. I'd take Dion any day of the week over JBB.

Moonshiner

Quote from: we_hate_the_band on April 29, 2015, 08:30:35 pm
Quote from: Moonshiner on April 29, 2015, 05:43:20 pm

Bergman- Bo knows?

Can it not be both?

Yes, it can be both.  I just couldn't tell if it was or not.

HeadTiger

No we didn't lose to him btw. We made it to state unlike flippin. Way to know your facts pal! RingSSSSSSS.......

HeadTiger

If I recall in 2008(zonebuster correct me if wrong) Prescott had 2 STUD 6'8 twins and were something like 34-1?... Johnny beat em.....

Head Lion

At the regionals this year, I liked how the young coach at Marshall handled himself. His teamed seemed to play very hard and together?

Moonshiner

Dione has 2 rings as well.  Both at Viola.  One is basketball, one in baseball. His best basketball team at Viola might've been the team that went 40-2.  Both losses came at the end of an undefeated season.

Googlymoogly

Quote from: Moonshiner on April 30, 2015, 10:40:05 pm

Dione has 2 rings as well.  Both at Viola.  One is basketball, one in baseball. His best basketball team at Viola might've been the team that went 40-2.  Both losses came at the end of an undefeated season.
Actually Dion has THREE state titles, two in baseball (1998 and 1999)

HeadTiger

Thought we were talking about basketball not baseball. 1990's? What has he done recently?.....

coachjd

Quote from: HeadTiger on May 03, 2015, 10:30:40 pm
Thought we were talking about basketball not baseball. 1990's? What has he done recently?.....

More than Valley Springs boys has done recently?

HeadTiger

Wait so valley made the state final four 3 straight years from 2009-2011, state finals once, state tourney in 2014, state quarters in 2015.

I hope you're being sarcastic because uh flippin hasn't came close to that bud

we_hate_the_band

May 04, 2015, 10:25:42 am #26 Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:41:57 am by we_hate_the_band
I thought we were talking about rings, not losses?

Facts established:

JBB has two rings in basketball

Dion has three rings, two in baseball, with the most recent in 2002.

Dion has proven himself in more than one sport.

JBB has had 11 jobs in 15 years.

Valley hasn't won a state title since 1996 (Ulysses Ruley rules!).

Head Tiger has an inferiority complex.

HeadTiger

May 04, 2015, 05:34:04 pm #27 Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 05:40:26 pm by HeadTiger
"more than valley springs has done recently"

Totally ;). Ha. Flippin has NEVER won a state title. Okay. Dion's ring (and baseball) were at a different school? Johnny has done more at valley in two years than Dion has at Flippin in a 2 year span

Moonshiner

Johnnys rings came at different schools as well. Not at Valley.  Walter McElroy took them to the finals in consecutive years.  You may want to look at his (Johnnys) win/loss record while he was at Rosebud and Highland.  I believe both years combined was 5 wins.
I don't think one is necessarily better than the other.  They are both good coaches.

ZoneBuster

Walter didn't take VS to back to back finals. It was finals, semis, semis. 

I'm biased toward Taylor, however, Hargrove winning titles in baseball and basketball is a coaching dream of mine.

Where was Dion before flippin, West Plains? How'd he do there? Didn't he give Valley the Dana Altman treatment lol.

Mamba13

1. Valley Springs- Lost a lot but still move up some players plus coach Taylor they win it again.
2. Marshall- very well could finish one
3. Flippin- can't count them out Hargrove knows how to win
4. YS- could finish higher but falling apart at the seems and losing a coach
5. Cotter- has size and will be much improved
6. Bergman- actually may finish lower picked them here due to not losing much but don't gain anyone great either
7. Mountain View- don't know much
8. Melbourne- don't know much about the bearcats
9. GF- future looks better but sophomores won't help that much.

we_hate_the_band

Quote from: HeadTiger on May 04, 2015, 05:34:04 pm
"more than valley springs has done recently"

Totally ;). Ha. Flippin has NEVER won a state title. Okay. Dion's ring (and baseball) were at a different school? Johnny has done more at valley in two years than Dion has at Flippin in a 2 year span

Have you ever won a state title?

Moonshiner

Quote from: ZoneBuster on May 05, 2015, 07:03:07 am

I'm biased toward Taylor, however, Hargrove winning titles in baseball and basketball is a coaching dream of mine.

Where was Dion before flippin, West Plains? How'd he do there? Didn't he give Valley the Dana Altman treatment lol.

I stand corrected.  Still a pretty good run for a 3 year span.  And the Valley folks ran him into retirement.

ZoneBuster

Quote from: Moonshiner on May 06, 2015, 05:29:59 pm
Quote from: ZoneBuster on May 05, 2015, 07:03:07 am

I stand corrected.  Still a pretty good run for a 3 year span.  And the Valley folks ran him into retirement.

Or he was too stubborn to get out of the 1970s ball lol. Guess it depends on who you ask.

I will say this, his teams could play a great 2-3 matchup zone. That was one of biggest factors to success I believe.

bdog32

Both of them are great coaches.  Play different styles but are good at what they do

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas